• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LX_Theo

Banned
At least P4GA has a few really good episodes and a couple very funny ones. As much as some people hate on the overall series, there are gems in there.

Tamanon

Banned
I think P4GA gets more negativity because it's messing with established material. I definitely can see why folks won't like it.

Personally, I'm alright with it, especially some of the fleshing out of characters. To each their own.

Kazzy

Trinity Soul has some alright bits. There's just more bad bits than alright bits.

"Apathy", is how I would describe my overriding feelings, towards it.

It suffers from being utterly superfluous, in every respect. It doesn't connect itself to its namesake in any meaningful way, which just harms it.

PK Gaming

Trinity Soul has some alright bits. There's just more bad bits than alright bits.

I'm honestly struggling to remember any of those alright bits. If i'm being frank, Trinity Souls didn't have any appeal as an anime whatsoever. It's worst offense was how boring it was; a chore to watch.

Well I guess that's not entirely true; I managed to get a lot out of it when I watched it with Corvo and Buddha.

Vylash

I think P4GA gets more negativity because it's messing with established material. I definitely can see why folks won't like it.

Personally, I'm alright with it, especially some of the fleshing out of characters. To each their own.

it pretty much depends on whether you can stand Marie or not, I adore her so I obviously liked it

Makio

Marie is a great add to p4 in my opinion . Third favorite waifu in p4 for that matter. and Kana Hanazawa is great too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om3_YAZ5j5Q

Margaret is great in this one hahaha

And im only looking forward for the dub of this , only because i want to hear Eden Reigel again...
And of course a duet between her and Laura Bailey in the Concert Episode.

Life got in the way so I only started PQ today. The chibi characters are friggin' adorable.

Trinity Souls was on the boring side but I remember enjoying some episodes. Pacing improved in the second half and the story had potential that sadly wasn't fully realized.

CorvoSol

I'm honestly struggling to remember any of those alright bits. If i'm being frank, Trinity Souls didn't have any appeal as an anime whatsoever. It's worst offense was how boring it was; a chore to watch.

Well I guess that's not entirely true; I managed to get a lot out of it when I watched it with Corvo and Buddha.

The good bits were shadow pulling, dick park and slut shaming notYukiko notAigis orgy times.

Oh and the hilarious "Sanado" flub.

Vylash

I like Marie more when she's not ducking talking about or making poetry

Hey, you!
How long are you going to wear that ugly mask?
You know you ain't got the guts for this task.

Cover yourself with paint
You're actin' like you aint'
Afraid of whatcha got in store for your fate

You think you got me? Well, that's too bad!
'Cuz I ain't stupid enough to get had!

So drop the pathetic act
I wanna dance and that's a fact
Now quit your gawkin' and start to react!

YEAH-YEAH! Now DANCE!

how can you not love her poems

I'm not a scholar of classical poetry, so I'm not really one to judge whether a poem is good or bad.

That said, Marie's poems were so forced and hackneyed that they caused me physical discomfort and dissuaded me from playing the game without headphones on at all times.

I'm gonna pin the blame on the Japanese writing team for this one since Nich & Co. tend to be very witty and eloquent in their writing, but it's not their fault if the source material was literal garbage to begin with.

I like Marie more when she's not ducking talking about or making poetry
QBJOOk4.png

Soulflarz

Banned
Written in Despair
Illogical Angst Expressed
This Poem is Shit

But I like Marie ;_;

Alternatively, a translation to her native language
stupidjerkfacehmph
despair sadness angst mrgr
ihateyoubaka

These haikus sucked, what am I doing

NichM

Banned
I'm gonna pin the blame on the Japanese writing team for this one since Nich & Co. tend to be very witty and eloquent in their writing, but it's not their fault if the source material was literal garbage to begin with.

Marie's poetry is supposed to be terrible, which I think all the games acknowledge.

PK Gaming

The good bits were shadow pulling, dick park and slut shaming notYukiko notAigis orgy times.

Oh and the hilarious "Sanado" flub.

Yeah, those were the best of times, though I wouldn't have been able to enjoy most of those events without you guys.I think I would have legitimately quit Trinity Souls if I wasn't watching it with you guys. There's no way I would have made it to the end.

Marie's poetry is supposed to be terrible, which I think all the games acknowledge.

I don't think P4G ever implies that her poems were terrible (I always got the sense that they wanted to her be some "wounded angel" or something along those lines), but PQ makes it pretty clear that they're schlok. Incidentally, the writing on her poems are much better in PQ; I actually laughed at a few lines.

Jintor

I know they're meant to be terrible, but that means that basically all the scenes where they turn up are terrible

I did laugh at her smacktalking Theo in pq though. I never got the impression Theo was that much of ab uttmonkey, bit I guess he is, even more than broskei and bropei.

Damnit why can pq get Theo but not femc? Damn youuuuu allll

PK Gaming

I know they're meant to be terrible, but that means that basically all the scenes where they turn up are terrible

I did laugh at her smacktalking Theo in pq though. I never got the impression Theo was that much of ab uttmonkey, bit I guess he is, even more than broskei and bropei.

Damnit why can pq get Theo but not femc? Damn youuuuu allll

Because adding him to the universe was a trivial process. It'd be much harder to incorporate FeMC into the overall narrative (since there's only *one* P3 protagonist).

If they do decided to add a female protagonist in P5, I hope she's a new character.

Makio

There's always room in one's heart for hatred as black-hot and venomous as more Marie-level hate.

Maybe you're right ....
hqdefault.jpg

If they do decided to add a female protagonist in P5, I hope she's a new character.

One of my hopes for P5 they do a GTA V type of story , two main characters (male - Female) , different social links , story from a different point of view and maybe party members. In the climax of the story they unite for the " common goal and beat the Bad Guy (insert humanity bad feeling here)".

A man can dream.

Maybe you're right ....
hqdefault.jpg

That's how Erebus came about. Trufax.

One of my hopes for P5 they do a GTA V type of story , two main characters (male - Female) , different social links , story from a different point of view and maybe party members. In the climax of the story they unite for the " common goal and beat the Bad Guy (insert humanity bad feeling here)".

A man can dream.

Huh. I like this one.
Some Divinity:OS stuff with them being "together" but not necessarily ending up with each other would work wonders.

Vylash

all i want from P5 is a deviation from
"the bad guy is someone you knew all along!"
because i'm just a bit tired of that

Makio

i want a party member with a face to heel turn

You know like
some rumors say in P4 the killer gonna be Yukiko ...

Jintor

Because adding him to the universe was a trivial process. It'd be much harder to incorporate FeMC into the overall narrative (since there's only *one* P3 protagonist).

Once you break one universe in two you might as well break all universes!

LX_Theo

Banned
i want a party member with a face to heel turn

You know like
some rumors say in P4 the killer gonna be Yukiko ...

If they did that, it'd have to be like (P3 spoiler)
Shinji's death. You had a party member who was around for a short time so you didn't feel cheated when they were taken away from you.

Shinji's death. You had a party member who was around for a short time so you didn't feel cheated when they were taken away from you.

I don't think that would be a problem if you had benched members getting the same exp as active members, or you could do it like P2 and have any members who leave replaced with a new charecter at a similar level.

FluxWaveZ

A man can dream.

Initial reaction was to wince, but that could potentially be pretty good. Two different main character groups, potentially actually acting as opposing forces due to different motivations, who then unite in the end... Guess it wouldn't be bad, and conveying a story from different angles can be cool. The narrative structure of the game would have to be completely different from P3 and P4, however, and it sounds like a huge amount of work, in general.

There could be a group lead by a female character that could work as an "anti-Investigation Team", were the concept to be in P4, but it'd save them a significant amount of work if they were to just convey the story of the male lead group anyways. The female lead perspective could then be conveyed in the P5 re-release, heh. Design work for it would kinda be done.

PK Gaming

I think it'd be cool if
said party member was like early-game Junpei. Someone with clear friction with the rest of the group. Basically, someone who doesn't cooperate with the rest of the team, but at the same time, someone you'd never expect to swap sides. I think it'd be too obvious if they joined for a short period of time only to just betray you. Plus, it wouldn't have as much impact.

Not just exp, but Social Links as well.

P3P and Golden had a lot of timed links, I don't think that Atlus is adverse to doing that again, assuming 5 even has them in the same form as 3 and 4.

On multiple protagonists, I don't think that it would work especially well for a Persona game. You couldn't really have either of them being silent, and I think it would hurt the progression of the JRPG side too, since you have two independent parties that are leveling separately. The only way I could see it working would be if one of the parties was less "main" and you still had one main protagonist.

FluxWaveZ

On multiple protagonists, I don't think that it would work especially well for a Persona game. You couldn't really have either of them being silent, and I think it would hurt the progression of the JRPG side too, since you have two independent parties that are leveling separately. The only way I could see it working would be if one of the parties was less "main" and you still had one main protagonist.

I actually think it would work even despite the silent protagonist concept. I think of Persona 2, Golden Sun and Persona Q, which all pretty much do the same thing, however the former two do it across two games while it's the same story from two different sides in PQ. I wouldn't have a problem with the protagonist being silent when the player is in control, and them having a defined personality while they're not. I'm not into their "blank slate protagonist" mentality, anyways, especially after seeing how Maya was handled.

It's the progression aspect which I could definitely see. The structure would have to be very different, as well as the leveling system and pretty much everything that relies on which side the player is currently controlling.

LX_Theo

Banned
Personally, I've always thought it'd be really interesting to see opposing groups. I'd love to see 4v4 Persona user battles as boss battles or something.

I think it'd be cool if
said party member was like early-game Junpei. Someone with clear friction with the rest of the group. Basically, someone who doesn't cooperate with the rest of the team, but at the same time, someone you'd never expect to swap sides. I think it'd be too obvious if they joined for a short period of time only to just betray you. Plus, it wouldn't have as much impact.
It would be interesting if they
had a plot point where the character opens up a bit more for a month or so before their betrayal. You can start the social link for a short time, and if you reach a certain point it changes the betrayal scene a bit. Sort of like how they did Adachi in Golden

P3P and Golden had a lot of timed links, I don't think that Atlus is adverse to doing that again, assuming 5 even has them in the same form as 3 and 4.
I still think that, in regards to a party member, they'd have to be very careful with that. With party members, there's this general concept that you'll have them the whole time regardless. Breaking that expectations without putting in some sort of failsafe to make it easier to handle tends to make people annoyed.

Vylash

I actually think it would work even despite the silent protagonist concept. I think of Persona 2, Golden Sun and Persona Q, which all pretty much do the same thing, however the former two do it across two games while it's the same story from two different sides in PQ. I wouldn't have a problem with the protagonist being silent when the player is in control, and them having a defined personality while they're not. I'm not into their "blank slate protagonist" mentality, anyways, especially after seeing how Maya was handled.

It's the progression aspect which I could definitely see. The structure would have to be very different, as well as the leveling system and pretty much everything that relies on which side the player is currently controlling.

i'm thinking 2 separate story routes you complete with the 2 different protags, and that unlocks a 3rd route that brings everyone together, though that's probably way too much work

FluxWaveZ

i'm thinking 2 separate story routes you complete with the 2 different protags, and that unlocks a 3rd route that brings everyone together, though that's probably way too much work

Gross, no. I'm really not into the idea of separate story routes ala The Journey and The Answer, but for the main story. Especially not the part about unlocking a third route, or the part that that implies one could start with route number 1 or route number 2 from the get-go like if it were Persona Q.

LX_Theo

Banned
What if you had a NG+ feature that had the other protagonist's decisions on dialogue imported and said by the character? First playthrough would have a default set of dialogue.

I still think that, in regards to a party member, they'd have to be very careful with that. With party members, there's this general concept that you'll have them the whole time regardless. Breaking that expectations without putting in some sort of failsafe to make it easier to handle tends to make people annoyed.

Somewhat related: I'm curious as to how people feel about fixed parties as opposed to being able to choose party members. I generally end up sticking with one party for the whole game, and neglecting everyone else, so I wouldn't mind it if they went back to giving you a fixed, but much more customisable party.

PK Gaming

A moment of your time

yeiRW8S.png

Can we talk about just how damn cute this is

Out of the many (many) pieces of concept art for P4AU Junpei, this one by far my favorite. Groupie!Chidori is the best.

LX_Theo

Banned
Atlus made Digital Devil Saga, I don't think they especially care about annoying people like that.

Somewhat related: I'm curious as to how people feel about fixed parties as opposed to being able to choose party members. I generally end up sticking with one party for the whole game, and neglecting everyone else, so I wouldn't mind it if they went back to giving you a fixed, but much more customisable party.

I wonder if that's a spoiler for that game... I think they do care, given how a similar situation was handled in P3. And that's without social links.

I wonder if that's a spoiler for that game... I think they do care, given how a similar situation was handled in P3. And that's without social links.

Not really a spoiler, the games force various members on you throughout and don't give benched members close to the exp and progression opportunities as active ones. I'll edit it out to be on the safe side though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom