• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Gaming

Etrian Mystery Dungeon did very well in terms of sales, practically topping the charts. Atlus is on fire... uh, in a good way.

Uncharted 4 delayed to 2016? Well, now there's a certain PS4 game releasing in the latter half of this year which could use the extra marketing...

Etrian is definitely starting to become one of Atlus's heavy's hitters. Their output as of late has been pretty stellar. Really looking forward to playing EO2U and Mystery Dungeon.

FluxWaveZ

Etrian is definitely starting to become one of Atlus's heavy's hitters. Their output as of late has been pretty stellar. Really looking forward to playing EO2U and Mystery Dungeon.

It's been that way, but EO2U underperformed compared to previous games, so EMD's potential was questioned at first, especially combined with where the Mystery Dungeon series is right now. It's nice it did well.

Atlus is localizing this RPG, due this summer.

It's been that way, but EO2U underperformed compared to previous games, so EMD's potential was questioned at first, especially combined with where the Mystery Dungeon series is right now. It's nice it did well.

Atlus is localizing this RPG, due this summer.

Yay, Lost Dimension.

7th July placeholder, so with this in July and Etrian in August, that's probably little chance of seeing Dancing before September then

FluxWaveZ

7th July placeholder, so with this in July and Etrian in August, that's probably little chance of seeing Dancing before September then

Why do you say that? Atlus have released more than one game within the same month before. It's not like they each have their own slot in a given month. Not to mention that placeholders are still placeholders, and it could always change just like Etrian Mystery Dungeon's did.

Really happy to hear that Mystery Dungeon did well, looking forward to picking up an English copy. Same with Lost Dimension! Didn't think anyone would pick that up, and the traitor mechanic seems really interesting in theory. Curious to see how it works in practice.

I don't know if I just didn't pay close attention to their release schedule before or what, but it seems like Atlus USA is really busy this year. Good on 'em! Gives me plenty of games to look forward to as well, so it's win-win.

FluxWaveZ

I don't know if I just didn't pay close attention to their release schedule before or what, but it seems like Atlus USA is really busy this year. Good on 'em! Gives me plenty of games to look forward to as well, so it's win-win.

It's cool, as long as it doesn't somehow push Persona 5's NA release into 2016...

Two games this spring and two games this summer. Two games this fall would be the expected/desired outcome, I guess.

I know I'm super late to this, but....
sEwDqRc.png
I'm not sure I want to buy a Vita now

Im still skeptical about P5's release window. But in the meanwhile Atlus' Etrian output has been great. I'm glad PQ made me decide to pickup an Etrian game. Looking forward to EOU2.

FluxWaveZ

I hate that I can't really be confident Persona 5 is a 2015 game. I don't know if it's funny or terrible that seeing the Uncharted 4 delay news, my thoughts went to "wow, now P5 has even more chance to be in the spotlight."

E3 2015...

I hate that I can't really be confident Persona 5 is a 2015 game. I don't know if it's funny or terrible that seeing the Uncharted 4 delay news, my thoughts went to "wow, now P5 has even more chance to be in the spotlight."

E3 2015...

Unless there's some announcements at E3 is P5 the only kind of big exclusive in the latter half of the year for Sony?

As I see it with my completely nonexistent localization knowledge, whether or not P5 is a 2015 game in the West has more to do with Atlus Japan than Atlus USA. I mean, if P5 comes out in the last week of December in Japan, there's not much chance we'll get it in NA this year. I'm not saying it will come out that late, obviously, but whatever the release date in Japan is could make all the difference.

That said, I have no doubt that Atlus USA is prioritizing P5, and to a lesser extent P4D. They wouldn't give us Lost Dimension if it meant negatively impacting their localization of the Persona games, so I'm sure it just fit their schedule well. And more Vita JRPGs is always a good thing.

Also: I kinda doubt Uncharted's delay will affect P5's advertising in any significant way. They may both be Playstation exclusives, but I don't think P5 will be the recipient of any unused Uncharted promotion budget.

FluxWaveZ

Unless there's some announcements at E3 is P5 the only kind of big exclusive in the latter half of the year for Sony?

Big exclusive is very relative, since it could be argued Persona 5 is not among that category. There'll most likely be some surprise PS3/PS4 announcements for games releasing near the end of this year but, at this point, Persona 5 is among the few higher profile ones. If we consider only retail, it might be one of the only ones next to Hellblade, right now.

As I see it with my completely nonexistent localization knowledge, whether or not P5 is a 2015 game in the West has more to do with Atlus Japan than Atlus USA. I mean, if P5 comes out in the last week of December in Japan, there's not much chance we'll get it in NA this year. I'm not saying it will come out that late, obviously, but whatever the release date in Japan is could make all the difference.

That said, I have no doubt that Atlus USA is prioritizing P5, and to a lesser extent P4D. They wouldn't give us Lost Dimension if it meant negatively impacting their localization of the Persona games, so I'm sure it just fit their schedule well. And more Vita JRPGs is always a good thing.

The thing is, especially given how adamant they've been about the 2015 release date in NA, anything later than 2015 would simply be a delay. I'm pretty sure, at this point, they're already internally aware of when the game's set to release in Japan, and have been probably working on its localization for a bit now. The more projects they take on for 2015, obviously the more stretched their team would be among the different projects. As long as everything goes as expected, I suppose P5 should still be slated for a 2015 release here, but I'm not sure it would necessarily strictly be on Atlus Japan if it was pushed back to 2016.

Priority is the question, isn't it... We don't really know where their priorities lie, though we can assume Persona is pretty important for them to get out as soon as possible. I could maybe see a scenario where more localization projects to release this year becomes more of a priority for them than getting Persona 5 out in 2015 for the western audience.

Also: I kinda doubt Uncharted's delay will affect P5's advertising in any significant way. They may both be Playstation exclusives, but I don't think P5 will be the recipient of any unused Uncharted promotion budget.

That's most likely not happening, but now that the biggest PS4 exclusive of the year has been pushed back, that will naturally make it so more attention is brought onto the others, of which Persona 5 is included.

This year's lineup for Atlus USA is Etrian Mystery Dungeon, Record Breaker, Untold 2, Lost Dimension, Dancing All Night and Persona 5. Last year they did 4 localisations, and they did 6 in 2013. It seems perfectly realistic for them to manage 6 localisations in one year. Although obviously not all the projects are similar in size.

DNAbro

Yeah I wouldn't doubt that they are already localizing it. I know they had finished most of the voice work for Ultimax months before release.

FluxWaveZ

Yeah I wouldn't doubt that they are already localizing it. I know they had finished most of the voice work for Ultimax months before release.

Arena and Ultimax are somewhat different cases because of how VA works with ASW fighters. For example, we heard of Michelle Ruff's involvement with P4AU in March 2014, only a month after that was announced for localization. That can be related to their really close release dates (between NA and JPN), as well as that whole region lock debacle with P4A.

But, yeah, though we don't know the nuances, we can assume that localization takes a particularly long time. I still think P5's going to be a 2015 game, of course.

The thing is, especially given how adamant they've been about the 2015 release date in NA, anything later than 2015 would simply be a delay. I'm pretty sure, at this point, they're already internally aware of when the game's set to release in Japan, and have been probably working on its localization for a bit now. The more projects they take on for 2015, obviously the more stretched their team would be among the different projects. As long as everything goes as expected, I suppose P5 should still be slated for a 2015 release here, but I'm not sure it would necessarily strictly be on Atlus Japan if it was pushed back to 2016.

I thought about the team getting stretched thin at the announcement of Lost Dimension too, but I don't really know if that has much weight, at least according to my logic, which I'll attempt to explain. This is all a theory, obviously. Take it with enough salt to repel a demon.
We know Lost Dimension is coming out in summer, so that means that we can assume that any team dealing with its localization will be done maybe a month before release, so the game can go gold. Even within that though, and correct me if I'm wrong here, localization occurs in stages. First you translate the text, then you edit it, then any English dialogue is recorded, and then it's all implemented into the game and tested. So the translators working on Lost Dimension will be done before the testers are, for example. So I think that Lost Dimension could very well be a good fit within Atlus USA's current localization schedule, in that it takes advantage of team members who might not yet have any work to do on a major release like P5. By the time, say, editing work on Lost Dimension is finished, the editing phase of Persona 5 will just be kicking into gear.
That was my first thought anyway.

This year's lineup for Atlus USA is Etrian Mystery Dungeon, Record Breaker, Untold 2, Lost Dimension, Dancing All Night and Persona 5. Last year they did 4 localisations, and they did 6 in 2013. It seems perfectly realistic for them to manage 6 localisations in one year. Although obviously not all the projects are similar in size.

I was wondering how this year compared to previous years in terms of Atlus USA output, thanks! Very different project sizes obviously, but still interesting numbers.

I was wondering how this year compared to previous years in terms of Atlus USA output, thanks! Very different project sizes obviously, but still interesting numbers.

I'm ignoring western games that Atlus USA just published too. This year they've only had Citizen's of Earth so far. They had quite a few last year and the year before. Obviously they don't take up localisation resources, but I assume Atlus has provide some resources when publishing games like that.

I'm ignoring western games that Atlus USA just published too. This year they've only had Citizen's of Earth so far. They had quite a few last year and the year before. Obviously they don't take up localisation resources, but I assume Atlus has provide some resources when publishing games like that.

Yeah, that's a fair point. Publishing western games uses Atlus USA resources, just different ones.

FluxWaveZ

I thought about the team getting stretched thin at the announcement of Lost Dimension too, but I don't really know if that has much weight, at least according to my logic, which I'll attempt to explain. This is all a theory, obviously. Take it with enough salt to repel a demon.

That makes sense, though I have absolutely no idea what the localization process truly entails. Like you, I personally don't really see Lost Dimension's release as encroaching on any other game's territory in terms of localization.

If we just look at the number of retail games they've localized in recent years (glancing through Wikipedia):

2012: 3
2013: 6
2014: 4

And now they're set for 6 in 2015.

That makes sense, though I have absolutely no idea what the localization process truly entails. Like you, I personally don't really see Lost Dimension's release as encroaching on any other game's territory in terms of localization.

If we just look at the number of retail games they've localized in recent years (glancing through Wikipedia):

2012: 3
2013: 6
2014: 2

And now they're set for 6 in 2015.

2014 had Q, Ultimax, Tears to Tiara and Conception 2, so you're missing 2 of those.

P5 gonna get so much push from gaming sites like Danganronpa did. Let the love spread!

Yeeesssss!! I can't wait for P5 :').

I'm still digging P3P a lot :)

Although.. Like.. The Battle Panties.. wat. Are they supposed to be a fan service thing? hahahaha

Big exclusive is very relative, since it could be argued Persona 5 is not among that category. There'll most likely be some surprise PS3/PS4 announcements for games releasing near the end of this year but, at this point, Persona 5 is among the few higher profile ones. If we consider only retail, it might be one of the only ones next to Hellblade, right now.

It's definitely relative, I'm just thinking of exclusives with a retail release with some hype behind them and P5 is the standout, though at the moment the only other game with a retail release I can think of is the new Ratchet and Clank game. Once E3 has come and gone we'll have a better idea of the PS4 lineup for the latter half of the year and how P5 fits into that, especially based on if P5 gets some time at the Sony conference. Regardless I'd imagine Uncharted 4's delay could result in more of a push for P5, nothing insane but probably more than we might normally see for a JRPG that isn't Final Fantasy.

Meia

Just highlighting that P2:IS had one of the strongest cast in the series, but with the old game format it's often rushed/glossed over(Lisa's backstory especially).

...is it wrong to *really* want the old games in the newer format? :p

cj_iwakura

Just highlighting that P2:IS had one of the strongest cast in the series, but with the old game format it's often rushed/glossed over(Lisa's backstory especially).

Of course not. It just won't happen.

No. but it definitely doesn't work with that type of plot.

Olengie

Hi PersonaGAF!

I finally got posting rights on my account after months of waiting, and I wanted my first post to be here! Please treat me well! :D

I really need to get around to beating Eternal Punishment. I started to play it and made some progress but the gamepaly eventually drained a lot of my enjoyment, at least I could sleepwalk through the gameplay of Innocent Sin and have no problems which meant I could just enjoy the story and the characters but having to actually engage in the gameplay in EP is draining.

cj_iwakura

That's not an uncommon opinion out of those who have played it from start to end.

It says a lot that it can still generate speculation and discussion to this day.

I really need to get around to beating Eternal Punishment. I started to play it and made some progress but the gamepaly eventually drained a lot of my enjoyment, at least I could sleepwalk through the gameplay of Innocent Sin and have no problems which meant I could just enjoy the story and the characters but having to actually engage in the gameplay in EP is draining.

Here's what you do: every time you play it, do a dungeon. Get back to it today. It'll minimize the tedium.

LX_Theo

Banned
Hi PersonaGAF!

I finally got posting rights on my account after months of waiting, and I wanted my first post to be here! Please treat me well! :D

Make sure you fill out the application form. :p

1) What is your favorite persona character?
2) favorite persona game
3) favorite persona song
4) favorite persona scene
5) favorite persona
6) favorite s.link
7) What are your thoughts on the recent Persona news on P5 and P4DAN?

I don't like the recent Atlus tax. Does this mean that its normal to expect future game series like EO, SMT, Persona, Devil Survivor to all have this new Atlus tax? This is more disappointing considering the amount of DLC one has to save up for just to access content that isn't at all considered "filler" or "costumes" in games.

I guess one really needs to either save up for every future Atlus USA game release, or just wait it out for the sale.

LX_Theo

Banned
Heh, I remember a point later on where Lisa tries to use the
rumor
power to make Tatsuya fall in love with her, and I went along with it. Just wanted to say that I've been on her side the whole time and she just wasn't listening, lol.

Here's what you do: every time you play it, do a dungeon. Get back to it today. It'll minimize the tedium.

I am actually planning on getting back to it some time soon, I think I left off
shortly after the Joker Ulala fight,
I was really enjoying the characters and story but after a while I was just struggling with the gameplay. I'm confident that when I return to it I'll finish it, it's just a matter of when do I go back and how long does it take to finish it.

I don't like the recent Atlus tax. Does this mean that its normal to expect future game series like EO, SMT, Persona, Devil Survivor to all have this new Atlus tax? This is more disappointing considering the amount of DLC one has to save up for just to access content that isn't at all considered "filler" or "costumes" in games.

I guess one really needs to either save up for every future Atlus USA game release, or just wait it out for the sale.

I'm pretty sure it's just a case for the 3DS games - and even then, it's to compensate for voice acting and a larger cartridge. I highly doubt the non-collector's edition of Persona 5 will run more than $60 new.

cj_iwakura

I am actually planning on getting back to it some time soon, I think I left off
shortly after the Joker Ulala fight,
I was really enjoying the characters and story but after a while I was just struggling with the gameplay. I'm confident that when I return to it I'll finish it, it's just a matter of when do I go back and how long does it take to finish it.

You have maybe 10-20 hours left.

I wouldn't delay, it's the kind of game that rewards familiarity with the story beats.

I'm pretty sure it's just a case for the 3DS games - and even then, it's to compensate for voice acting and a larger cartridge. I highly doubt the non-collector's edition of Persona 5 will run more than $60 new.

But does EO Mystery Dungeon have voice acting and a larger cartridge? Why would you highly doubt that? It seems like Persona 5 has the most "justification" for having the Atlus USA tax?

But does EO Mystery Dungeon have voice acting and a larger cartridge? Why would you highly doubt that? It seems like Persona 5 has the most "justification" for having the Atlus USA tax?
Mystery Dungeon doesn't have that much voice acting (if any) and is $40. EOU2 does have a fair amount of VO and its $50. Blurays are a lot more common than one type of proprietary cartridge for one system that the creator of the system (Nintendo) has some control over. P5 will be $60.

Olengie

Make sure you fill out the application form. :p

1) What is your favorite persona character? : Girls: Yukari Takeba Boys: Minato
2) favorite persona game :persona 3 FES/Portable
3) favorite persona song : Changes often but I do enjoy Heartful Cry and Kimi no Kioku
4) favorite persona scene : Persona 3's Ending
5) favorite persona : Probably Thanatos. Then Kohryu
6) favorite s.link : Dojima
7) What are your thoughts on the recent Persona news on P5 and P4DAN? : I yelped with joy upon seeing the P5 Trailer and more P4DAN stuff. I'm definitely am excited for this year, and will anxiously look forward to more information as the months come by. Can't wait to see more potential party members show up.

Also, digging the Epilogue Costumes for DAN. As for Kanamin, Imma give her a chance before I decide to hate her. But. I don't like her default costume, that's for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom