• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Setsu00

I like how Soejima's comment in the P4U2 artbook can be summed up with "Creating additional characters for an existing cast is hard, but it gives us the chance to do things we couldn't do in an RPG". It's reassuring to know that Arena's visual craziness won't seep into the mainline series.

raven777

B__Gd6BUUAEhUv7.jpg:orig

1) What is your favorite persona character? Yosuke and Yukari :D Love P3MC as well.
2) favorite persona game? Persona Q
3) favorite persona song? Hmm, probably the full versions of Maxe of Life and Shadow World.
4) favorite persona scene? 5) favorite persona? 6) favorite s.link?
Can't choose. lol
7) What are your thoughts on the Kanamin trailer?
Welp, already expressed it.
Its a swimsuit, fyi
Still, just ugggh

FluxWaveZ

That P3M#2 LE landed a critical hit to my wallet, especially living in Canada, but I really wanted to read the booklet.

That P4A+U art book isn't gonna be cheap, either. Cool cover.

Aiii

So not worth it
So I'm creating a custom watch face for my LG G Watch R, still a WIP, but figured I share it with you guys:
dsc_0053yss0p.jpg

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
That tutorial vid is my most prolonged exposure to Teddie's Japanese VA.

Suddenly, ours seems much more bearable (hohohohohoho).

Those scratch notes look like they could be a little hard to read.

I just went back to Yu's trailer and I didn't even notice them there before now.

At least you don't have to hit them, the're just for bonus points.

FluxWaveZ

I need those bonus points, though.

When the game comes out, I should set up some weekly, in-community P4D competitions.

Edit: Oh man, trying to play along with the end of tutorial segment in the second video, and the scratch aura is definitely going to take some getting used to. If you focus too much on the incoming notes, the circle completely fades into existence from out of nowhere, and you're likely to miss it.

MudoSkills

They add to the combo count as well as triggering fever. You're going to have to hit them for FCs as well as higher scoring.

muteki

Hopefully we can switch to an alternative input that doesn't require touch. F2nd did well to offer stick inputs instead. If P4D is to be VTV compatible, then it would have to have something like that.

I wonder what, if any, use the > or [] buttons have.

Hopefully we can switch to an alternative input that doesn't require touch. F2nd did well to offer stick inputs instead. If P4D is to be VTV compatible, then it would have to have something like that.

I really hope you can swap out the touch controls.

I'd rather have the 'scratch' mechanic used on the LR buttons. Practicing with that feels so much more natural to me.

FluxWaveZ

I really hope you can swap out the touch controls.

I'd rather have the 'scratch' mechanic used on the LR buttons. Practicing with that feels so much more natural to me.

What touch controls? The default input for the scratch system is a flick of the analog stick.

muteki

What touch controls? The default input for the scratch system is a flick of the analog stick.

Actually, going back to teddies tutorial, it does mention the sticks.

This is odd, because I swear from some interview somewhere it mentioned making use of the touchscreen, and I just assumed it would be this because they were calling it scratch like Diva does.

Edit: looks like this was confusing me:

http://gematsu.com/2015/02/persona-4-dancing-all-night-official-japanese-site-relaunches

There are other twists layered onto that formula like multi-button presses, held notes, and something we’re calling “Scratch,” as well. Oh, it’s worth noting that the game does support touch controls.

Touch is probably for menus or for some other unknown feature. I'm fine with sticks as scratch input.

MudoSkills

Glad to hear it's on the sticks rather than touch control.

Control mechanism aside, like I said, I think they might be hard to read. Would be nice to see sustained gameplay footage rather than the jump cuts you get in the character trailers to get a better idea how it looks on a moving background.

Nachos

When I say written in English, I'm referring to promotional art from the Japanese version and stuff. Persona 3 and Persona 4 had a lot of that, where the names were written in English already.
Sorry, my sentence was a little confused. I was talking about codifying the release date.

Oh, and I forgot to do this:
1) What is your favorite persona character?
2) favorite persona game
3) favorite persona song
4) favorite persona scene
5) favorite persona
6) favorite s.link
7) What are your thoughts on the Kanamin trailer?
  1. Kanji, with Shinji, Junpei, and Rise tied for second.
  2. Persona Q for dungeon design; none of them really for combat; Persona 4 Golden for the best overall package
  3. The Almighty; School Days is a close second, even if I think it doesn't fit Persona 1
  4. The true ending sequence for Persona 4 (not talking about the Golden epilogue)
  5. Apollo for the uniques; Asura for the generics
  6. Ai's easily
  7. She seems more spunky and spirited than I thought she would be, so at least she won't be typical otaku bait.
So I'm creating a custom watch face for my LG G Watch R, still a WIP, but figured I share it with you guys:
dsc_0053yss0p.jpg
I don't know if that runs a unique version of Android, but I think someone already beat you to the punch:

Aiii

So not worth it
I don't know if that runs a unique version of Android, but I think someone already beat you to the punch:

Yeah, mine is a free Watch Maker watch face, that one is a paid regular Play Store one. Meaning mine gets loaded through that (very popular) app and I can put it on a website to share with others. (I'll put it here once I'm done, could be a little while).

Unfortunately the guy that made that one never updated it after the release 5 months ago. It doesn't work with my watch (and some others), so it doesn't update the weather and most importantly it doesn't work with 24h clocks, at noon it told me it was midnight.

I can deal with bugs, but I need my clock to tell me the actual time :D

Thank god for the Play Store's "delete within 15 minutes and get your money refunded" option :) Shame though, that design is great.

OranSky

Banned
Unfortunately the guy that made that one never updated it after the release 5 months ago. It doesn't work with my watch (and some others), so it doesn't update the weather and most importantly it doesn't work with 24h clocks, at noon it told me it was midnight.

Alas my dreams crushed and it looked so sexy as well. Best of luck on your design, looking toward to how it ends up. I should probably get a smart watch first before i get ahead of myself...and an android phone to go with it :p.

MudoSkills

Quick Persona Q question. I'm on the third floor of Inaba Pride and near the entrance to the floor there's a dead end with an event. I've labelled it as 'moaning corner' on the map.

Do you get anything for visiting with each of the people who ask to get rotated in? When the third different character popped up I felt like I was wasting my time. Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything good as a reward.

Also, fused a Nebrios with Poison Circle, Mahamaon and Mamudoon on top of the Impure Reach he has by default - which is currently sitting with Mitsuru. Win mode. Now I get why everyone said Naoto is the best character to use in this.

Sophia

Got my PS3 at my grandparents finally. Time to begin Persona 3 FES anew on hard mode~!

I can play Ultimax too, now that I think about it...

It's my birthday today, 21 baby!

Happy Birthday dude!

Quick Persona Q question. I'm on the third floor of Inaba Pride and near the entrance to the floor there's a dead end with an event. I've labelled it as 'moaning corner' on the map.

Do you get anything for visiting with each of the people who ask to get rotated in? When the third different character popped up I felt like I was wasting my time. Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything good as a reward.

I couldnt figure that out either, people were complaining that they weren't getting enough action, despite the fact that all of my characters were the same level. I did the same as you, after the 3rd switch, I just gave up on that spot.

Got my PS3 at my grandparents finally. Time to begin Persona 3 FES anew on hard mode~!

I can play Ultimax too, now that I think about it...

This reminds me that I need to set aside some time for my yearly run of P4, I also need to decide if I want to kick the difficulty up a level.

Sophia

This reminds me that I need to set aside some time for my yearly run of P4, I also need to decide if I want to kick the difficulty up a level.

If you aren't playing on Hard/Expert, can you really say you've played Persona 4 at all? >:D

Go after Lizzie while you're at it. I can't be the only one crazy enough.

It's a brand new save from the beginning, as all my old saves are on the PS2, not on the Playstation Classics version.

Also, I don't even like the Elizabeth fight, as I've said before. I'd rather fight the Demi-Fiend.

cj_iwakura

If you aren't playing on Hard/Expert, can you really say you've played Persona 4 at all? >:D

It's a brand new save from the beginning, as all my old saves are on the PS2, not on the Playstation Classics version.

Also, I don't even like the Elizabeth fight, as I've said before. I'd rather fight the Demi-Fiend.

I must have missed that. I had FUN fighting Elizabeth. There's a method to her madness.

Demi-Fiend is just plain mean. You can easily die before the fight even starts. Elizabeth at least gives you a chance.

OranSky

Banned

I bumped it from normal to hard on my first new game + of golden. If you play though it once a year do you try to improve your runs? Max all S.Links complete the compedium and such? (Although I'd wage your compendium is already complete from all the new game +'s)

If you aren't playing on Hard/Expert, can you really say you've played Persona 4 at all? >:D.

Welp, the gauntlet has been thrown down so I guess I have no choice. Now I need to decide on hard or very hard.

I bumped it from normal to hard on my first new game + of golden. If you play though it once a year do you try to improve your runs? Max all S.Links complete the compedium and such? (Although I'd wage your compendium is already complete from all the new game +'s)

I only played P4 for the first time in 2013 so I've not exactly played it a ton overall, this year will be my fourth playthrough. I maxed out all the S links and completed the compendium on my second playthrough so my third was just a regular playthrough where I did the S links I enjoyed, looks like I'll be playing on a higher difficulty this playthrough and for future playthroughs I'll probably start coming up with limitations to place on myself. I certainly don't want to do an all S link run again anytime soon, it was fun to see all that stuff but I like to have a bit more freedom in what I decide to do on each day.

Sophia

Welp, the gauntlet has been thrown down so I guess I have no choice. Now I need to decide on hard or very hard.

Go with Hard. Very Hard in P4G is pointless, as it doesn't actually make the game any harder. It just makes it more tedious.

I'd be all for Very Hard too if it actually adjusted the difficulty. But all it does is reduce the XP and money gains, so you have to fight more fights.

Go with Hard. Very Hard in P4G is pointless, as it doesn't actually make the game any harder. It just makes it more tedious.

I'd be all for Very Hard too if it actually adjusted the difficulty. But all it does is reduce the XP and money gains, so you have to fight more fights.

Well that sounds terrible, I hate when games use methods like that as an attempt to increase difficulty. Hard mode it is!

cj_iwakura

Well that sounds terrible, I hate when games use methods like that as an attempt to increase difficulty. Hard mode it is!

Oh boy would you hate Raidou 1 Devil. I wonder how many people besides me were crazy enough to finish that damn mode. Raidou does half damage, enemies do double. Costs go through the roof. Escape is nigh impossible.

Sophia

Yeah, you can tell that Very Easy/Safety and Very Hard/Risky were new additions to Persona 4 Golden. The game isn't balanced around them at all.

Oh boy would you hate Raidou 1 Devil. I wonder how many people besides me were crazy enough to finish that damn mode. Raidou does half damage, enemies do double. Costs go through the roof. Escape is nigh impossible.

For what it's worth, half player damage/double enemy damage is far better than P4G's Very Hard. It's still a lazy way of increasing the difficulty, but at least the difficulty actually DOES increase.

Meia

Yep. Artificial difficulty is the worst.

I mean, I guess I get what they were going for, as you're meant to be underleveled for every fight(so you do less damage and take more damage all the time), but it doesn't work that well in a game where if one specific character dies you Game Over. The tedium aspect comes in when you try to break this idea of "difficulty" by doing twice the grinding to make up for it. Overall, a hard difficulty should feel like a challenge, not cheap.

Sophia

I like difficulty settings that actively change the mechanics of fights around. Persona Q's Risky is a good example of this. You have to approach many fights in the game differently due to the classic "Hero dies = game over" MegaTen rule being in play.

I hope Persona 5 goes a step further with stuff like that and actively changes bosses and mechanics around like that. It's more effort on the developer's part, but it makes for a far more exciting game.

cj_iwakura

Demon's Souls Pure Black was the best method I've ever seen. More enemies, more twisted AI.

And wow, that P4 difficulty sounds dull. I'd sooner try a solo run or something.

I like difficulty settings that actively change the mechanics of fights around. Persona Q's Risky is a good example of this. You have to approach many fights in the game differently due to the classic "Hero dies = game over" MegaTen rule being in play.

I hope Persona 5 goes a step further with stuff like that and actively changes bosses and mechanics around like that. It's more effort on the developer's part, but it makes for a far more exciting game.

I didn't know PQ's difficulty settings would change that stuff, that's really cool. I'm all for games handling difficulty like this, games like Bayonetta and Devil May Cry also do similar things by changing the enemy spawns on higher difficulty levels so you're dealing with late game enemies from the start. I also hope that P5 goes further with the difficulty stuff, introducing new skills to a boss or even adding a new element to the actual fight would make those higher difficulties more fun and rewarding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom