• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nimby

Banned
I cured P4D Kanji of his Soejima

bmj35Oz.png

I'm not very good at photoshop, but I like the final outcome more than the original.

kajigoddess

Neo Member
My excitement only continues to grow stronger.

Wonder if Margaret will get announced.

Maybe she'll be like some kind of final boss to dance off against? :O

I'm hoping that's the case, although it's more than likely she'll be some kind of NPC in charge of something as yet undetermined...

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Whao, Persona 4G taught me something new. The wind-up bird chronicles is divided into three parts? IQ48 was part of it?

Finished the wind-up bird chronicles and haven't read IQ48 so I had no idea that's how it was.

edit: or am I completely misreading what the dude was saying?

FluxWaveZ

In each of the three Persona spin-offs, the newcomer characters turned out
to be antagonists.
(P4A/P4AU/PQ spoiler)

Wonder if the same could apply to Kanami.

Edit: They updated the PSL2015 slot image on the left side of p-ch:

Dantis

That's her winter normal isn't it?

Mid-winter.

*adjusts nerd glasses*

Strange that Yukiko and Naoto are shown alongside each other for P4D. Usually Yukiko is associated with Chie and Naoto is with Kanji.

I'm glad. Naoto is paired with Kanji because there's no one else to pair her off with, and I was worried that would stick in P4D, but it hasn't.

Wow, the live version of Soul Drive is amazing.

Yep, it's real good.

Probably one of the most in depth gaming related surveys I've seen. There's a lot of detail.

One thing that caught my eye was a question asking what type of games sounded interesting, one option being a Battle Royale type game. Everyone go vote for that.

Similar to something like Jstars victory vs?... not sure if I want that from Atlus. But sure!

I was thinking more along the lines of Danganronpa or the movie Battle Royale, but you could be right.

There was another interesting one that asked about setting preferences, where it listed urban/rural Japan, Europe, America, Period Drama, Sci Fi Japan, and a few others.

kiyoaki

Atlus wants to know your gaming habits and what games you like best. A huge portion of the survey is dedicated to smartphone games, tho.

I just took the survey and indicated I'd like to see more console games. Atlus going completely mobile or handheld would really suck. Persona 5 better sell well.

I found this question the most interesting as it made me think a bit about what I was looking for in the Persona series:
screenshotsatlus.PNG

Also put in a vote for more games with a real-life Japanese setting.

Setsu00

I was thinking more along the lines of Danganronpa or the movie Battle Royale, but you could be right.

There was another interesting one that asked about setting preferences, where it listed urban/rural Japan, Europe, America, Period Drama, Sci Fi Japan, and a few others.

I voted for the Battle Royale scenario and I'd love to see an Atlus game take place in today's Europe.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
They already use a lot of European mythology, I'm not particularly sure what a European setting would add, especially if it's in danger of straying into castles and cobbled streets cliché.

I'd love to see an Atlus game take place in today's Europe.

Yes! A central Europe setting would be nice, but it does appear in jrpg's quite often (not necessarily the location, but the culture/architecture), maybe that's why I like it.

It was listed alongside things like time travel, so I think it was talking more about premises than genres.

I was thinking about this during lunch and wouldn't something like Danganronpa be murder mystery?

I assume that games like JStars are called Battle Royale, is because they are arena, last man standing scenarios. Similar to the concept of the movie.

I don't have enough information to make a solid opinion, especially with how Danganronpa was marketed in Japan and what name they give to different genres/scenarios, these are just my thoughts on it.

Now that I've seen the questionnaire and know where/how the term Battle Royale was used, I can see that my thoughts are very unlikely.

FluxWaveZ

This thing is long... In the process of writing a full article on everything in the survey.

Done. I like how Question 26 really is straight up "Battle Royale", and even emphasized that it would be violent. It's interesting how this comes up after that recently translated Persona 1 interview, where Tadashi's idea for Persona almost being a Battle Royale scenario was revealed.

Antiwhippy

They should set a game in Singaporean/Malaysian mythology. Malay myths can actually fit really well in to SMT themes. A lot of... still-born and infant myths.

Then have this badass as the main persona.

prA7NPa.jpg

Done. I like how Question 26 really is straight up "Battle Royale", and even emphasized that it would be violent. It's interesting how this comes up after that recently translated Persona 1 interview, where Tadashi's idea for Persona almost being a Battle Royale scenario was revealed.

Ah, nice one. Now I can read the questions at work :D and after seeing some question, my previous thoughts are completely void. Context is everything!

Q12: People who play games on the toilet are monsters. Do your business and leave, don't hang around.

Oh and the Europe answer is split between modern and fantasy. Interesting.

Overall, that's a pretty in-depth questionnaire, I hope we get to see some sort of conclusion to this.

Kazzy

And no Kanami in any of those screens either. Good to see Atlus seems to be mostly focusing on the Investigation Team instead of her.

This is also looking incredibly import friendly, with all the English menus.

Which makes it unfortunate, that the DLC will all be inaccessible to everyone who doesn't make a Japanese PSN account, or doesn't want to segregate their profile information.

Also, swapping between accounts on a Vita is a monumental pain.
So just as well I will buy the P4D console pack, as soon as it hits Yodabashi camera!

Lusankya

Also, swapping between accounts on a Vita is a monumental pain.

It's not that bad. It takes a while, if you have a lot of stuff to copy on your PC, but you don't have to do much.
Back up -> Hard Reset of the Vita -> Restore

The good thing is that all your previous settings will be restored as well and you can just skip the stupid introduction video by restarting the Vita.

Kazzy

It's not that bad. It takes a while, if you have a lot of stuff to copy on your PC, but you don't have to do much.
Back up -> Hard Reset of the Vita -> Restore

The good thing is that all your previous settings will be restored as well and you can just skip the stupid introduction video by restarting the Vita.

Anything more than a couple of steps and a few minutes, is already an inconvenience.

And, I know, use the Vita as it was intended, as a portable device. Almost any time I switch it on, it's during a commute. I don't really fancy the prospect of removing and resetting anything, especially during a rush hour, no less!

Lunar15

It's kind of funny, I was wondering if I could predict the antagonist by the mythology they chose for the main character's Persona, but then they decided to move away from mythology and there's no way I could guess.

Hey, if for whatever reason it's NOT a God this time, that'd be pretty cool too. However, this is Atlus, so it's definitely a God.

I can tell you one thing, though: If MC's persona is Arsene Lupin, you're definitely going to see a Sherlock Holmes character and some kind of a Count type character.

FluxWaveZ

Looking at question 26 again and trying to relate concepts with Atlus games that have had them in the past:

Demons, gods, myths and legends = Megaten
Selecting a character’s appearance from pre-set illustrations to create a character = ???
Selecting elements of a character’s appearance for a 3D model to create a character = Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine (and any game with alt costumes, such as SMTIV and P4D)
Time travel (traveling to the past, back and forth in current time, in the future) = Radiant Historia
Battle Royale game (Yes, with brutal/violent scenes) = ???
I enjoy characters and their relationships = Persona 3, Persona 4, Catherine
Realistic, high fidelity graphics = ???
Anime graphics/aesthetic = Most; Persona 5
Exploring randomly generated dungeons = Many; Persona 3, Persona 4, Persona 5
Exploring a dungeon while drawing a map of your own = Etrian Odyssey
Difficult game balance with high levels of tension = Many; Catherine, SMT
The fight for survival in a collapsed Tokyo, taking place in the near future = Devil Survivor
Fighting a myriad of gods and demos that appear in myths and legends = Megaten

There has to be an example of 2D character customization in an Atlus game that I'm missing, right? It seems like it's something they might have done before, however minor. (Edit: Etrian Odyssey)

"Realistic, high fidelity graphics" isn't something that I'd expect from Atlus—or even want—so the question is probably there to gauge just how important that is to the Japanese audience as more of a curiosity than anything.

It's kinda crazy that they would list "Battle Royale" right there out of the blue when there's been no precedent for it, right? Has there been a previous Atlus game that used this concept that I'm forgetting about (Persona 4 Arena is a joke answer)? This isn't just about PvP fights like hackers in Soul Hackers or summoners in Devil Survivor; I'm sure this option is clearly about battles to the death where people are explicitly pitted against each other.

The prospect makes me so excited. Danganronpa is pretty much the only other game I know of which could be accurately described as being a "Battle Royale", but t's not even quite that. I wonder if this could be related to the game H.I. was talking about...

Looking at the translated list, one takeaway from it is that we're never seeing an Xbox One Atlus game

Looking at question 26 again and trying to relate concepts with Atlus games that have had them in the past:

There has to be an example of 2D character customization in an Atlus game that I'm missing, right? It seems like it's something they might have done before, however minor.

"Realistic, high fidelity graphics" isn't something that I'd expect from Atlus—or even want—so the question is probably there to gauge just how important that is to the Japanese audience as more of a curiosity than anything.

It's kinda crazy that they would list "Battle Royale" right there out of the blue when there's been no precedent for it, right? Has there been a previous Atlus game that used this concept that I'm forgetting about (Persona 4 Arena is a joke answer)? This isn't just about PvP fights like hackers in Soul Hackers or summoners in Devil Survivor; I'm sure this option is clearly about battles to the death where people are explicitly pitted against each other.

The prospect makes me so excited. Danganronpa is pretty much the only other game I know of which could be accurately described as being a "Battle Royale", but t's not even quite that. I wonder if this could be related to the game H.I. was talking about...

Could you count Catherine as a Battle Royale type game? Direct competition isn't emphasised, but there's still only one winner by the end.

I guess Persona Mobile Online might have had 2D customisation? although there's not much into out about that game.

Danganronpa is a weird comparison that I'm just getting. It's murder mystery, trial and everything.

Battle Royale is as the name suggests, a fight between a group which only ends when one is left standing.

But I guess it's just me.

FluxWaveZ

Could you count Catherine as a Battle Royale type game? Direct competition isn't emphasised, but there's still only one winner by the end.

Not at all, at least by what I would immediately think of when I think of "Battle Royale." In Catherine, people mainly had their own nightmare stages and, sometimes you'd have to compete with crazy sheep in the stage, but it was mainly a PvE scenario than anything.

When I think of BR, I immediately think of what Tadashi was talking about for Persona 1, Battle Royale itself, or any scenario where the impetus of the story is actively battling against other people (to the death, in this case) to come out on top, where cooperation isn't necessarily a good thing or one that will serve to attain the goals set by the story (so stories like Future Diary, The Hunger Games, Fate/Zero...).

The meaning could vary, of course. I'd like to have a bigger description of what they were thinking when they included "Battle Royale product/game" as an option.

Danganronpa is a weird comparison that I'm just getting. It's murder mystery, trial and everything.

Battle Royale is as the name suggests, a fight between a group which only ends when one is left standing.

The reason Danganronpa is compared to Battle Royale is because, fundamentally, the goals are the same: kill or be killed, and there is no escape unless you kill. Even Zero Escape isn't like that because, if everyone trusted each other in that game, everything would just go smoothly and everyone would escape without harm. In Danganronpa, there is absolutely no way of getting out of the situation the characters are trapped in without killing, and that's essentially why it is oftentimes compared to Battle Royale, because games just don't do that (in intimate scenarios with a small, identifiable group of characters, which is important for a 'Battle Royale' story).

Well thats kinda the plot of the first danganronpa in a way, you aim to get everyone killed so that you survive, albeit through deceit rather than action.

So while not your traditional battle royal, the concept still somewhat applies.

Digital Devil Saga 1 would probably count as a "graphic" Battle Royale type game, although it's tribes fighting rather than individuals.

and yeah, Catherine probably wouldn't fit, I was just thinking about how you knocked off other Sheep when you try to survive.

Kazzy

Well thats kinda the plot of the first danganronpa in a way, you aim to get everyone killed so that you survive, albeit through deceit rather than action.

Danganronpa doesn't necessarily dictate that everyone has to kill each other though. Rather, you just need to instigate a scenario where you can murder, under the pretence of being an innocent party.Yes, technically, everyone will die if that reaches its natural conclusion, though that happens via a third party.

The rules of Battle Royale dictates that the students explicitly have to kill one another, until no other remains, and is done under the duress of a strict time restriction, no less. It lays out its terms much more blatantly, whereas Danganronpa has some wrinkles, and does so under guise of 'choice'.

I find them to only be similar in very broad, thematic elements.

and that's essentially why it is oftentimes compared to Battle Royale, because games just don't do that (in intimate scenarios with a small, identifiable group of characters, which is important for a 'Battle Royale' story).

Small? Battle Royale consisted of 42 people fighting for the last spot. (Read your post wrong about that bit.)

I see the reasons you guys compare it, I can accept that. I just think it's a rather weak comparison.

That's a super loose comparison.

FluxWaveZ

Digital Devil Saga 1 would probably count as a "graphic" Battle Royale type game, although it's tribes fighting rather than individuals.

That makes me looking forward to playing it. It probably isn't front and center, and I don't know if that's what they would mean by that option, but it's certainly something I'm looking for more of.

The rules of Battle Royale dictates that the students explicitly have to kill one another, until no other remains, and is done under the duress of a strict time restriction, no less. It lays out its terms much more blatantly, whereas Danganronpa has some wrinkles, and does so under guise of 'choice'.

I find them to only be similar in very broad, thematic elements.

The use here, though, isn't evoking "Battle Royale" the Takami novel, but actually the very broad, thematic elements. I think it's a genre in and of itself, one most accurately evoked by the term "Battle Royale", and twists on the formula are welcome, even if they're not carbon copies of the "Battle Royale."

It's true that there's no active motivation for killing one another in Danganronpa other than the fact that they're trapped, but I think it would qualify, since the base motivation for the characters remains the same.

Small? Battle Royale consisted of 42 people fighting for the last spot.... I don't see why it would have to be a small identifiable group.

I thought it was obvious I was talking relative. What I mean is that I'm not talking Call of Duty or Dying Light, where the goal is still "kill or be killed in a specific area", but it's you against countless nameless thugs.

Antiwhippy

I thought what makes battle royale more disturbing is that you're fighting and trying to kill people that you know and have worked with?

FluxWaveZ

I thought what makes battle royale more disturbing is that you're fighting and trying to kill people that you know and have worked with?

That's another reason for the BR and DR comparisons (with the latter having "Free Time Events" to emphasize this), and it makes the deaths and killings that much more significant, too. I don't think it has to be necessarily inherent to that type of genre, however, since I put Fate/Zero, The Hunger Games, Future Diary and Underdog in the same category.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Outside agent forces school friends to kill each other in an isolated and inescapable location. I think comparisons between Battle Royale and Danganronpa make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom