• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

muteki

Such as Kanji=locking, Chie=Kung Fu, Yukiko=ballerina etc?

Correct. Because each character is so different, they can't just swap models like the Diva games. For a given track like Pursuing my True Self, they are going to need to have kung fu, ballet, modern, and teddie steps to accomodate all the characters. So in some cases, the choreography might not match the song, if they allow any character on any track.

Otherwise you may only be playing as Yosuke in certain songs, Yukiko in others, and so forth.

Lusankya

Correct. Because each character is so different, they can't just swap models like the Diva games. For a given track like Pursuing my True Self, they are going to need to have kung fu, ballet, modern, and teddie steps to accomodate all the characters. So in some cases, the choreography might not match the song, if they allow any character on any track.

Otherwise you may only be playing as Yosuke in certain songs, Yukiko in others, and so forth.

It would be nice if at least in the Free Dance mode you could use every character for each song and they would still use their characteristic dance style.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I'd imagine that customisation is limited to outfit and accessories rather than switching characters up - especially as with it being story driven, each song will have a specific person attached to it.

FluxWaveZ

Called it!

I totally didn't call it:
For this Friday's update, I'm guessing that the trailer will be... Chie's. Naoto and Yukiko will probably get their pages updated on the site, too.
I did think it was going to be Yosuke today, though... but that's why I guessed differently.

I'd imagine that customisation is limited to outfit and accessories rather than switching characters up - especially as with it being story driven, each song will have a specific person attached to it.

Yeah, I think this is looking more likely than the Project Diva model, since everyone will have a remarkably distinct dance style. It'd be insane to see that choreographed for each different song, especially when you consider duets. I wonder if this could mean there will be certain characters who are never paired together in a dance, though.

Hey... were there character silhouettes in the "Coming Soon" boxes before? I must have totally glossed over that.
top_btn_c08.png
top_btn_c09.png
Second one is Sho.

Yeah, I think this is looking more likely than the Project Diva model, since everyone will have a remarkably distinct dance style. It'd be insane to see that choreographed for each different song, especially when you consider duets. I wonder if this could mean there will be certain characters who are never paired together in a dance, though.

I hope that's not the case.

Each song has a different choreographed dance in Project Diva that is associated with the suggested module, but any module can then be inserted into the song. Of course, this all depends on wherever the characters and their associated dance types are based on the story mode, meaning that in free mode you can swap out the model for another one (The dance stays the same).

If that's not the case and what you're saying is true (which I slightly agree with you, I'm just proposing a counter suggestion), it would suck, and in my opinion, devalue the customization a little. Everyone likes to play as their favourite character.

Actually, is there even a 'free' mode? I can't remember.

FluxWaveZ

Actually, is there even a 'free' mode? I can't remember.

There is a Free Mode. But for the rest of what you're saying...
Kanji doing Yukiko's routine...

I can imagine the step.
Even when there's a "suggested character" in Project Diva, there's no real dissonance when one character does another's routine because of how those characters are. But in this, each character's personality is completely transparent with how they dance, and—knowing that songs are in fact represented by different characters—stuff like Nanako doing Kanji's routine or Yosuke doing Kanami's just wouldn't work (at all).

They made great efforts for the characters' choreography, it seems, from the Wada interview. They even got different people to dance for each character, so those different people would then probably have to do choreography for each song in the game... and then one would have to consider duets, and everything else that would go along with that. It sounds like an absurd amount of work. It's a bummer it probably means one won't get to choose the character they want for each song, but I also like that it means that the characters' dance styles are, in fact, unique, and that the performances with a song won't be the type to be easily copy/pasted between the cast.

Even when there's a "suggested character" in Project Diva, there's no real dissonance when one character does another's routine because of how those characters are. But in this, each character's personality is completely transparent with how they dance, and—knowing that songs are in fact represented by different characters—stuff like Nanako doing Kanji's routine or Yosuke doing Kanami's just wouldn't work (at all).

Yep, which is why I said I kinda agree with you.

I was just throwing it out there as a 'don't dismiss it till we know for sure' type of thing, depends how 'open' a free mode will be. For story mode, sure, it makes sense, but in a free mode? There's no need to keep a restraint on personalities and the like.

They made great efforts for the characters' choreography, it seems, from the Wada interview. They even got different people to dance for each character, so those different people would then probably have to do choreography for each song in the game... and then one would have to consider duets, and everything else that would go along with that. It sounds like an absurd amount of work. It's a bummer it probably means one won't get to choose the character they want for each song, but I also like that it means that the characters' dance styles are, in fact, unique, and that the performances with a song won't be the type to be easily copy/pasted between the cast.

I don't see why they would need to get each person to dance for each song. Depending on how they do the animation, couldn't they apply the models to the animations 'skeleton'? (my terminology sucks, I'm no animator, but hopefully you get what I mean)

muteki

Kanji doing Yukiko's routine...

I can imagine the step.

I would hope that such would be possible in a free mode, just for all the fun possibilities. But I don't know how they would reconcile Teddies and Nanako's moves to other characters, since their frames are so different.

FluxWaveZ

Yep, which is why I said I kinda agree with you.

I was just throwing it out there as a 'don't dismiss it till we know for sure' type of thing, depends how 'open' a free mode will be. For story mode, sure, it makes sense, but in a free mode? There's no need to keep a restraint on personalities and the like.

Yeah, I guess we shouldn't come to conclusions yet since we don't have any kind of confirmation. This is what Wada said about Free Dance mode.
Will we be able to play the songs outside of the story mode?

Yes, you’ll be able to do that in the Free Dance mode and you can unlock additional songs by playing it.

I don't see why they would need to get each person to dance for each song. Depending on how they do the animation, couldn't they apply the models to the animations 'skeleton'? (my terminology sucks, I'm no animator, but hopefully you get what I mean)
Persona Magazine: Persona 4: Dancing All Night is the first rhythm game the series has ever seen. What have you been most careful about handling in terms of making sure it feels like a proper extension of the original Persona 4?

Wada: Definitely how we maintain each of the main characters’ individual charms in their dance routines. The cast of Persona 4 has attracted a lot of really passionate fans, so it’s important that their support be respected in this new game by maintaining that recognizability. One of the ways we ensure that is by having a different dancer assigned to each character for motion capturing and then having the team look over the choreography to ensure every character’s personality remains intact in the moves that they make.

The "Free Dance" menu screen has Dance! selected and shows Yu, who is the dancer for that song next to it, and none of the button prompts on that menu are to change dancers. Not that that completely rules out that option though, although with how different each character's style is, I can't see us being able to swap them out.

Yeah, I guess we shouldn't come to conclusions yet since we don't have any kind of confirmation. This is what Wada said about Free Dance mode.

That second quote makes sense for story mode, it would be weird to say have Naoto do line dancing, etc..

I'll just leave it till we hear more about the free mode. I just hope it isn't as locked down as people think it will be.

well, the "Free Dance" menu screen has Dance! selected and shows Yu, who is the dancer for that song next to it. Not that that rules out the option to change dancers though.

Why do you have to ruin my hopes & dreams ;_;

Tamanon

Banned
I suspect we'll be having at least one more character announced, possibly two. We know Nanako is announced, so that puts us at 10. The way they stagger the character portraits in rows of 3 suggests either 11 or 12 characters. Otherwise they would do two columns of five rows of 2 characters when designing the site.

I'll go with Marie as my guess, the easy one, and Margaret. Unless they count human Teddie as another character since he'd need different moves.

LX_Theo

Banned
I suspect we'll be having at least one more character announced, possibly two. We know Nanako is announced, so that puts us at 10. The way they stagger the character portraits in rows of 3 suggests either 11 or 12 characters. Otherwise they would do two columns of five rows of 2 characters when designing the site.

I'll go with Marie as my guess, the easy one, and Margaret. Unless they count human Teddie as another character since he'd need different moves.
They seem to be hinting at two OCs from Kanamin Kitchen. Accounting for those?

Sophia

Well it was a PSP game.

Cameras should not make humans physically ill, let alone robots.

I'm going to be honest, I was assuming that every character would be able to do every dance.

My only experience is Project Diva, but in those games you could replace the characters with another one. Mind you, in those the songs were actually sung by the characters, and it didn't change the music or dance.

Sophia

On the P4D official site they associate each song with a "main character".

Perhaps all characters can dance to every song, but the main character has specialized choreography to that song while everyone else has something generic?

That's very likely. Like I said, it'd be consistent with how other rhythm games like Project Diva are like.

FluxWaveZ

That's very likely. Like I said, it'd be consistent with how other rhythm games like Project Diva are like.

But it's the same choreography in Project Diva for each character in a song, not different ones. That suggestion would mean that, in addition to a song's main character's choreography, a second, generic one would need to be made that fits with each other character, for every single song. That'd be way more work.

But it's the same choreography in Project Diva for each character in a song, not different ones. That suggestion would mean that, in addition to a song's main character's choreography, a second, generic one would need to be made that fits with each other character, for every single song. That'd be way more work.

You also have issues like Nanako not fighting presumably restricting which dances she could be used in.

Sophia

We don't actually know the full extent of how much more work it'd be. For that matter, we don't actually know how far the extent of the unique moves go either.

Or hell, maybe Yosuke just bursts into ballerina moves when he dances a song meant for Yukiko.

That'd be hilarious, actually....

FluxWaveZ

We don't actually know the full extent of how much more work it'd be. For that matter, we don't actually know how far the extent of the unique moves go either.

When each of the characters have their own choreographers assigned to them? I think it's fair to assume it'd be a lot of work, the way Wada's been talking about how much effort they've put into accurately representing the characters' dance styles.

Sophia

When each of the characters have their own choreographers assigned to them? I think it's fair to assume it'd be a lot of work, the way Wada's been talking about how much effort they've put into accurately representing the characters' dance styles.

.... I will hold you responsible if you shatter my delusional dreams of Yosuke dancing to ballerina, Flux. ò.ó

Dantis

Realistically, they'll just use the same choreography.

One solution would just be to split the dances into male and female. I'd be fine with that.

Dantis

Oh man, how did i miss this while skimming over PGAF last night? So adorable!

Also, i think i like Yosuke's dancing style the most so far.

All four of the styles we've seen so far are too pop idol-y for me. I hope the other characters move a bit further away from that. Obviously, it'll all be pop dancing, but you know, it can be a sliding scale.

Dantis

Meguro hasn't really used live musicians. I'd actually be happy if he started doing. Kitajoh used live musicians on P4 Reincarnation and the tracks benefited.

Sophia

A lot of the songs at Persona Music FES 2013 benefited from the use of woodwind and string instruments. Special mention being the Arena medley. That rendition of Spirited Girl was amazing.

FluxWaveZ

Oh yeah, in addition to the Battle Royale (w/ violence) option on Q26 of Atlus' survey:
バトルロワイヤルもの(残虐なシーンあり)
Pepsiman pointed out that option 13, which I translated to "Fighting a myriad of gods and demos that appear in myths and legends", sounds like Musou:
神話や伝説に登場する無数の神々や悪魔と戦う
Another potential window into what they might have planned.

Wish there was some time to expect for announcements. It's nearing the end of the first quarter and Atlus is going to be having a company briefing on March 26th (though I think that one's mainly for new recruits), but we might not hear about any new projects of theirs until P5's out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom