• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A moment of your time

yeiRW8S.png

Can we talk about just how damn cute this is

Out of the many (many) pieces of concept art for P4AU Junpei, this one by far my favorite. Groupie!Chidori is the best.
Yeah this one's my fav, along with Dad!Koromaru and if I remember right Ken wearing his coat.
So did they flanderize marie into ms poetry or am i crazy
Don't worry, she's still our dear tsundere we all love and know.

I still like her more here in PQ than in P4G/The Animation.

Nimby

Banned
Personally, I've always thought it'd be really interesting to see opposing groups. I'd love to see 4v4 Persona user battles as boss battles or something.

Hell yeah. And not like those pansies Strega. Can't even withstand a Megidolaon

smh

FluxWaveZ

Summoner vs. Summoner battles in Soul Hackers were great. I love the feeling of going against an enemy who has the same tools and powers you do. It's interesting that I can't think of a battle like that in any of the Persona games, even in Persona 2 where that could have potentially been the most fitting. In an occasion where the main party faces a normal Persona user, the enemy's always going against overwhelming odds.

Oh wait... there is a cool exception: The Answer.

LX_Theo

Banned
With how strongly group dynamics, in at least P3 and P4, work on ideals from the game themes, conflict of ideals and approaches would set up some emotionally heated battles.

PK Gaming

Summoner vs. Summoner battles in Soul Hackers were great. I love the feeling of going against an enemy who has the same tools and powers you do. It's interesting that I can't think of a battle like that in any of the Persona games, even in Persona 2 where that could have potentially been the most fitting. In an occasion where the main party faces a normal Persona user, the enemy's always going against overwhelming odds.

Oh wait... there is a cool exception: The Answer.

Heh, it's like you're jacked into my mindspace.

I am all about those kinds of fights. 1 v 1 battles against characters with a similar skillset is my jam. (Dante vs Vergil, Bayonetta vs Jean, Pkmn Trainer Red vs Blue, Megaman vs Zero, etc).

Persona never had an honest to god 1v1 Persona battle. Like [redacted], King Leo and Takaya were ripe for that sort of thing, but you always fought them as a team, which made sense, but it would have been way more satisfying if you beat them mano-a-mano.

Damn, Soul Hackers was so good

Nimby

Banned
Persona never had an honest to god 1v1 Persona battle. Like [redacted], King Leo and Takaya were ripe for that sort of thing, but you always fought them as a team, which made sense, but it would have been way more satisfying if you beat them mano-a-mano.

Well, there was
Elizabeth.
Would be cool to fight another Persona user who had the Wild Card, and weaknesses and strengths would actually change.

The Devil Summoner games in general have great rival characters. Geirin and Nagi in Raidou 2 were good too
The Geirin battle was a great 1v1 fight.

They don't even have to be antagonists or rivals, but I'd like to see more non-party member Persona users in future.

I am all about those kinds of fights. 1 v 1 battles against characters with a similar skillset is my jam. (Dante vs Vergil, Bayonetta vs Jean, Pkmn Trainer Red vs Blue, Megaman vs Zero, etc).

the first boss of the Tatsuya Scenario in P2EPP is a 1 v 1 fight against King Leo. Later on in it, Tatsuya 1 v 1's
Kandori while the P1 PS1 boss theme, Deadline (remixed) plays.

PK Gaming

The Devil Summoner games in general have great rival characters. Geirin and Nagi in Raidou 2 were good too
The Geirin battle was a great 1v1 fight.

They don't even have to be antagonists or rivals, but I'd like to see more non-party member Persona users in future.

Yeah. Persona 2 had like a city filled with Persona users, which was really cool. I hope it's the same deal in P5; not really a fan of the "chosen ones" concept, heh.

the first boss of the Tatsuya Scenario is a 1 v 1 fight against King Leo. Later on in it, Tatsuya 1 v 1's
Kandori while the P1 PS1 boss theme, Deadline (remixed) plays.

pyReUfI.png

Dantis

I love those kind of fights too, and it's why I thought the Strega fights were so good in P3.

I thought the Heartful Cry fights were awful, though. I was too hung up on the bad narrative implications to be enjoying the gameplay. I also hadn't used Metis even once, so had to solo them with Aigis.

I actually think group vs group fights would be more interesting in Persona than 1 vs 1's. 4 vs 4's may lead to more interesting battle scenarios especially if some characters have designated roles.

Meia

If anything, they gave her way more of a personality in PQ, it just so happens we see her and how she "develops" her poetry this time. I really was worried that flanderizing would be a major problem in PQ at first, but that was quickly alleviated(minus Akihiko, who they seem to lost any kind of idea what to do with). So many great moments, like Yukiko talking to Kanji about him being worried about not being well spoken just really make the game great.

Always got the impression the poems were supposed to be terrible though, even from P4G. Yu's reaction whenever he reads a new one is always a "...", which I always interpreted as a facepalm-like thing. Heck, it even happens sometimes in PQ when you're given an option of responding with a "..." and Yu facepalms. :p

I thought the Heartful Cry fights were awful, though. I was too hung up on the bad narrative implications to be enjoying the gameplay. I also hadn't used Metis even once, so had to solo them with Aigis.

SOMEONE ELSE THAT FEELS MY PAIN, YAY!

Really thought the Answer fights were touching/sad. The Yukari gameover one really added to the narrative too I think, which is funny since you only see it if you lose. :p

Sophia

I love those kind of fights too, and it's why I thought the Strega fights were so good in P3.

Most powerful character in Persona 3 or Persona 4.

Nobody uses them.

OMG WHY DOES THE ANSWER SUCK AND IS IT SO HARD?! :p

Meia

A game that forces me to choose between characters I played a 100 hour RPG with or a brand new character to an "epilogue" thing without being told it'd be required is a poor game design choice. Metis COULD have been locked to the party much like Aigis was, and the game wouldn't have suffered for it. Giving me the choice between Junpei vs Metis without knowing better you should be picking Da Man every time. :p

It's not like Zen/Rei are forced upon you in Persona Q(I don't *think*), so it's not like they haven't learned from their mistakes. :D

P3
Shinjiro's death really only mattered for me because of the social link. I probably would have gotten somewhat annoyed if I was playing through P3P for the first time and he died when I was on rank 9. Though, given what I've seen from his moveset I wouldn't have minded if he stayed.

DDS2
Your allies dying happened to suck a bit in my opinion. MC could get pretty powerful since you could choose his stats, leading to incredibly high damage and/or endurance, but he can't switch his moves nor resistances in the middle of the battle. Thus, your allies were useful for covering different elements in addition to support, hunting, healing, etc. However, when some disappear for a long periods of the game, it gets rather annoying since you now lost your unit that you used to cover a certain element, or lost your healer/support/hunter etc. Plus they stop learning skills, meaning that when they return their level is the same as yours but their skills are the same as when they left, so they could even be worse than the unit you switched to cover his/her role.

As for the Persona user vs Persona user fights, I agree that I kinda wish there were more. Strega in general weren't really a challenge plus you always outnumbered them when they fought. Same with [Redacted]. As for the Answer fights, I didn't really play it since I hacked in some stuff because I didn't want to start again from such a low level, but I find it kind of amusing(?) how when your allies leave they suddenly get a ton more OP and when they come back they're weak again, though I understand it's for gameplay reasons.

I kind of wish Akihiko actually had God's Hand or any physical skills to speak of like he did in his Answer fight though.

Edit:

Most powerful character in Persona 3 or Persona 4.

Nobody uses them.

OMG WHY DOES THE ANSWER SUCK AND IS IT SO HARD?! :p

I assume you mean most powerful party member, since MC's are better than Metis and P3MC is arguably better than Answer Aigis because fusion spells? Though I'm not sure why Metis is more powerful than some of the characters without Mind/Power Charge or Boosts/Amps, unless you don't actually mean damage when saying most powerful.

Sophia

I assume you mean most powerful party member, since MC's are better than Metis and P3MC is arguably better than Answer Aigis because fusion spells? Though I'm not sure why Metis is more powerful than some of the characters without Mind/Power Charge or Boosts/Amps, unless you don't actually mean damage when saying most powerful.

Yeah, probably should have said party member, as obviously the P3 protagonist is more powerful.

Remember that Metis has Neo Orgia Mode, which can make up for Mind/Power Charge to some degree. It also makes her abilities free to cast, which is fantastic when mixed with her physical skills. Psyche also has no weaknesses of any sort, and has a fairly decent stats spread somewhat favoring physical.

Yeah, probably should have said party member, as obviously the P3 protagonist is more powerful.

Remember that Metis has Neo Orgia Mode, which can make up for Mind/Power Charge to some degree. It also makes her abilities free to cast, which is fantastic when mixed with her physical skills. Psyche also has no weaknesses of any sort, and has a fairly decent stats spread somewhat favoring physical.

How high is the damage boost? I can't remember, but I remember when I first used it I didn't find it anything extremely impressive and figured that it might be better to have orders on instead. Admittedly I didn't use it much and it was a while since I played it. Plus it might be bad for when she cooled down, which mainly only applies for boss fights anyways, though I heard that some people turn on Orgia mode and let them die to skip the cooldown. But yeah, I'll agree that Metis is better than quite a few of the P3 allies, I believe she also had Garu and Bufu spells for a bit more elemental coverage and as you said, no weaknesses.

Not sure if it's really fair to compare her to P4 allies though, since there are a few changes (I think overall, the end-game physical attacks like God's Hand, Primal Force got stronger. You can also control allies unlike in P3. And though you didn't say it so maybe I shouldn't include it, P4G gave your allies, especially the female ones, some really powerful social link spells by end-game, and power charge for Kanji.)

Not exactly the same game, but I heard that in PQ Orgia mode is really good though :p . I also think Aigis's stat spread is pretty good, though if you want to use Aigis for the purpose of tons of physical damage you need to rely more on skill cards and her sub than others like Chie since I don't think that her default moves were really meant for that.

CorvoSol

PQ is the first time I've actually liked Marie. She does well when she is in group settings and not the center of attention. The ideal would still be to just make her flat out a party member, but I mean, with the Velvet crew being as involved as they are, it doesnt matter much.

PK Gaming

A game that forces me to choose between characters I played a 100 hour RPG with or a brand new character to an "epilogue" thing without being told it'd be required is a poor game design choice. Metis COULD have been locked to the party much like Aigis was, and the game wouldn't have suffered for it. Giving me the choice between Junpei vs Metis without knowing better you should be picking Da Man every time. :p

It's not like Zen/Rei are forced upon you in Persona Q(I don't *think*), so it's not like they haven't learned from their mistakes. :D

I agree, but only to a certain extent. Metis is really, really, really overpowered so you miss out by not using her. She lacks weaknesses, has solid elemental coverage and Neo Orgia mode turns her into a god.

I can somewhat sympathize with the people who got screwed for not using her, but they really missed out. She practically trivializes The Answer.

If a betrayal does happen in future games, I think it should be permanent.
If it's temporary, though, the characters should at least get some time to endear themselves to the player again. I think that's a problem The Answer had, with the infighting taking place
before the last dungeon.

FluxWaveZ

I actually think group vs group fights would be more interesting in Persona than 1 vs 1's. 4 vs 4's may lead to more interesting battle scenarios especially if some characters have designated roles.

Yeah, I also think so. In Soul Hackers, it's not necessarily the 1v1 narrative concept that I enjoyed, but the fact that rival summoners also had a specific party of demons at their disposal fighting at the same time, just like the player. A 4v4, with even the enemy team having their own support character who identifies weaknesses of your team, which the enemy group then proceeds to specifically target? Sounds neat.

Yeah, I also think so. In Soul Hackers, it's not necessarily the 1v1 narrative concept that I enjoyed, but the fact that rival summoners also had a specific party of demons at their disposal fighting at the same time, just like the player. A 4v4, with even the enemy team having their own support character who identifies weaknesses of your team, which the enemy group then proceeds to specifically target? Sounds neat.

Well, that's assuming that the support characters can identify weaknesses like Fuuka could :p . Unless you don't mean actual weaknesses that the persona have.

I liked the idea of fighting another group led by a wild card user or something like that, with the other wild card user also switching personas to counter your spells and to heal, support, etc. Although I'm not sure how good or bad the AI would be with that, since in some games the AI is just random and wrecks the team one time and get defeated quite easily the next (biggest example would be in Nocturne with Mot).

Fuuka and Rise can both identify weaknesses. One is by full scanning, the other is by progressive updating. It'd both work in the context of what I described, with the AI combatants reacting accordingly, of course.

OK thought you just meant like how Fuuka analyzes the target and figures out all of the weaknesses/resistances automatically. Rise just kind of kept track, in my opinion.

FluxWaveZ

Well, that's assuming that the support characters can identify weaknesses like Fuuka could :p . Unless you don't mean actual weaknesses that the persona have.

Fuuka and Rise can both identify weaknesses. One is by full scanning, the other is by progressive updating. It'd both work in the context of what I described, with the AI combatants reacting accordingly, of course.

Just finished the sun social link in Persona 3

Wait wait wut? Was
he a ghost the entire time?
That's the only thing that makes sense to me

FluxWaveZ

This is track 27 from the P4AU OST, a bonus track entitled Break Out Of... -Free Mix-.

The remix is fine, but not amazing or anything. By the way, Break Out Of... is definitely one of my favorite "main themes" in any Persona game to date.

LX_Theo

Banned
Just finished the sun social link in Persona 3

Wait wait wut? Was
he a ghost the entire time?
That's the only thing that makes sense to me

Hm?

He had a terminal illness and died by the end of the social link while finishing his story. Not sure how a ghost is implied.

Hm?

He had a terminal illness and died by the end of the social link while finishing his story. Not sure how a ghost is implied.

I think Bass means by how he just vanishes at the end of the 10th social link rank. So, he might have died between the 9th and 10th rank and the entirety of the 10th event was his ghost talking. Just a guess though. Don't think he was a ghost for the WHOLE social link from rank 0 to 10 though.

Sophia

This is track 27 from the P4AU OST, a bonus track entitled Break Out Of... -Free Mix-.

The remix is fine, but not amazing or anything. By the way, Break Out Of... is definitely one of my favorite "main themes" in any Persona game to date.

The remix sounds more like a dungeon theme than a main theme.

kewlmyc

Still has one of the weirdest song names in the franchise so far.

Tamanon

Banned
Looking forward to whatever the news update is tomorrow. It seems to be hitting almost every Friday now. Maybe a PSC announcement?

Friday is the new Tuesday!

FluxWaveZ

Looking forward to whatever the news update is tomorrow. It seems to be hitting almost every Friday now. Maybe a PSC announcement?

That's not really true.

Edit: I mean in terms of a proper trend. Like you said, it's almost every Friday and they didn't do anything on the 5th, so there might not be anything at all tomorrow. Friday seemed to have become common in Novemeber, but that could just be a coincidence.

So, I just beat Persona Q this morning, and wanted to take a quick minute to show some love for this game and the people who helped make it as good as it was. It's easily my GOTY, which may not seem like much considering how generally weak this year was for really good game releases, but I think it still means something. If nothing else, PQ was a great bit of nostalgia both for the two Persona games it pays tribute to, and to that great sense of being sucked into a game and wanting to explore every inch of it. And on a personal level, this hasn't been the best year for me, so it was really nice to end 2014 with a really fun and involving game, that if nothing else, made me smile like a goon every time I played it.

I could go on and on about how charming the character interactions were, or how devious the labyrinths became, or how much care seemed to go into most every aspect of the game, but that's all been said by people a lot more eloquent than me. So I'll just say thanks to anyone from Atlus who happens to be reading this. I had a great time at the Culture Festival, and I'm already looking forward to whatever comes next. Y'all are awesome people.

Oh, and thanks to PersonaGAF for being a good community of nice people! It's nice to find a spot on the internet that's not always angry about something, haha.

PK Gaming

So, I just beat Persona Q this morning, and wanted to take a quick minute to show some love for this game and the people who helped make it as good as it was. It's easily my GOTY, which may not seem like much considering how generally weak this year was for really good game releases, but I think it still means something. If nothing else, PQ was a great bit of nostalgia both for the two Persona games it pays tribute to, and to that great sense of being sucked into a game and wanting to explore every inch of it. And on a personal level, this hasn't been the best year for me, so it was really nice to end 2014 with a really fun and involving game, that if nothing else, made me smile like a goon every time I played it.

I could go on and on about how charming the character interactions were, or how devious the labyrinths became, or how much care seemed to go into most every aspect of the game, but that's all been said by people a lot more eloquent than me. So I'll just say thanks to anyone from Atlus who happens to be reading this. I had a great time at the Culture Festival, and I'm already looking forward to whatever comes next. Y'all are awesome people.

Oh, and thanks to PersonaGAF for being a good community of nice people! It's nice to find a spot on the internet that's not always angry about something, haha.

Glad you enjoyed it! I'm almost finished myself and i'm pretty thrilled with it. Pretty soon we'll be playing through P4D and (dare I say it) Persona 5!

Just beat the final guardian in Tartaros, just got the month of January to socialize though and then hit the end game. On a personal level I want to max mitsuru's and aigis's social links before the end of January, but I know maxing the Emperor social link is important because it gives you Odin and Thunder Reign which I'll need if I want to take down the Reaper with ease though I'm pretty sure I won't have enough days to max all 3.

What level should my MC and party be at roughly before the final battle in Persona 3 FES Normal mode? Right now my MC is level 70ish and my party ranges from 60-65ish depending on the character. I figured I should at least get Ken and Aigis up to the level where they learn the full revive spell as that'd be very useful for the finale.

Sophia

Catherine was very successful. Media Create thread for its first week sales, for Japanese sales reference.

Index said they had plans to expand Catherine into further media projects a while back, but those seemingly fell through.

Makes me wonder if those were the wishes of Index, or the people actually running Atlus. That said, I'd love to see a spiritual successor in puzzle gameplay due to the fact that I can't see a proper sequel working out.

FluxWaveZ

A direct sequel to Catherine definitely wouldn't work because that game's fully self-contained, but a spiritual sequel could be nice. Really, I don't even need the block puzzles. A new IP by P Studio—potentially tackling another concept that people face in real life like Catherine's, but that maybe aren't really explored in video games—with another game mechanic built around that concept would be great. Call it "Mary" and have it be about a woman facing depression, manifesting itself through vivid daydreams or something, heh.

Supposedly from the P4AU OST again: lyrics for Break Out Of... and for Today.

Vylash

Catherine was very successful. Media Create thread for its first week sales, for Japanese sales reference.

Index said they had plans to expand Catherine into further media projects a while back, but those seemingly fell through.

Well, hopefully the plans falling through was also because of Index, so they could go back to it in some form since they're out of the picture now

Just beat the final guardian in Tartaros, just got the month of January to socialize though and then hit the end game. On a personal level I want to max mitsuru's and aigis's social links before the end of January, but I know maxing the Emperor social link is important because it gives you Odin and Thunder Reign which I'll need if I want to take down the Reaper with ease though I'm pretty sure I won't have enough days to max all 3.

What level should my MC and party be at roughly before the final battle in Persona 3 FES Normal mode? Right now my MC is level 70ish and my party ranges from 60-65ish depending on the character. I figured I should at least get Ken and Aigis up to the level where they learn the full revive spell as that'd be very useful for the finale.

I assume that you're going to beat the reaper because of Elizabeth's request? If so, then I think that's what unlocks you a new dungeon named Monad, which is full of very high level enemies that will give you trouble, but also level you up quickly. With that dungeon, I don't think it was really hard to grind up to the high-80's. Unfortunately, since I grinded in Monad until mid 90's, most enemies, including the final boss, were a joke (if you maxed the star social link and are high enough level, you can use the fusion spell Armageddon requiring Helel and Satan that deals 9999 damage, but consumes all of your SP, and combine that with Victory Cry and/or Spell Master to further trivialize things). I would guess that you should be around mid 70's to low 80's to face the final boss? Also for me, I maxed Mitsuru's social link just because something in Empress gives you the Niflheim severe Ice damage spell, and I got barely did Aigis's (as well as any of the other party members)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom