• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sophia

Actually wouldn't be that hard to incorporate the Persona mechanic of the fighting game into a Musou. Some characters have similar Persona summoning mechanics in the mainline Dynasty Warriros games already. And the RPG mechanics come with the genre by default.

I always thought Power Stone's gameplay with a Tobal No 1/Tobal 2* style story mode would work out really well. It would allow for traditional fighter and Smash Bros style matches, but also give them a justification for a very RPG like fighter mode.

Imagine if, instead of overly long cutscenes with a poor structure and a few fights in between, we got a fully fledged story like Persona Q, with a huge Tartarus like dungeon to explore. Pick a Persona user, level them up, get new equipment and new movies, fight off shadows, etc, in order to progress the story.

I don't know about you guys, but that would be a hell of a lot more interesting to me than a a decent story wrapped up in a poor structure. Or Guilty Gear Xrd's "No fighting, story only" OVA structure.

(*You all should go check out these games. Quest mode is awesome.)
I'll definitely check those when I get home, but your description of a Tartarus/ dungeon-based fighting game really excites me. That sounds like something I would put a ton of time in

Alright so what kind of personality is this MC going to have? The same as Ultimax? Is he going to be neutral in terms of relationships and social links?

Because I don't see any "dialogue options" in the game that the MC can choose.

I'm pretty sure "Same as Ultimax" Is his canon personality (Or close enough to it, not really sure about whether or not he's any different in PQ during P3 route) at this point.

arue

Alright so what kind of personality is this MC going to have? The same as Ultimax? Is he going to be neutral in terms of relationships and social links?

We don't know yet.

There's no dialogue options (yet) at the moment because we only saw one trailer. I'd wait for more trailers before making assumptions.

DNAbro

Yeah, they pretty much have a set personality for him. As seen in the anime, fighting games, persona q.

Honestly, Yu doesn't feel like a character you would project yourself into anymore, he feels like his own character at this point.

FluxWaveZ

Honestly, Yu doesn't feel like a character you would project yourself into anymore, he feels like his own character at this point.

Depends on the game. Literally none of the Persona protagonists except for the Persona 1 protagonist (and that's debatable, given the manga) are really meant as player inserts if we take all of the Persona related stuff into account but, individually, some of those games still serve that purpose. P4 and P4G (less so), for example, still have Yu as a player insert, even moreso than the (male) P3 protagonist in P3/P3P.

Unless P4DAN throws us a final curveball, relationship-wise, it's pretty clear that the following happened post-P4:

Either:
Neutral (maxed) relationship with all (or)
Marie won.

BABYBABYBABYBABYBABYBABYBABY
Indeed.
-
I like Aigis, but since Yukari is my favorite persona character I was really disappointed too, I'm ok with them going the MakotoxAigis way, but they took one of Yukari's best moments away from her, that scene is really the only problem I have with the movie, everything else was perfect imo.
-I completely agree
the movie handled the relationship between Ken and Shinji way better than the game did, it changed how a couple of things play out, but it was really for the better.
Ken feels like an overall better character in the movie just because they took care of actually building up to the October full moon properly.
From the looks of the trailer of the third movie it seems Yukari won't be as revelant as before (every character gets at least one line except for her or Fuuka) so yeah it really sucks that they changed that scene. :( And yup, I love Ken so much now.
If only they remaked the Male's route of P3 to be like the movie.

Re: Kanji trailer

So is Yosuke like the only one so far that doesn't have another game's intro music playing in his trailer?
I guess he's really the second banana.
And of course Kanji wants to go alone with Rise and Naoto. :p

I hope P5's romance subplots won't be as 'isolated' as P4's...

I know it's there to basically make it a cakewalk and to avoid causing issues with dating multiple girls (also, the fact that you could be dating Yukiko/Chie before even recruiting Naoto/Rise(I think)), but it's always felt awkward how they were hiding their relationship from the rest of the group. It's probably the one part of the game's mechanic that didn't mesh well with the story.

Marie's social-link weren't great, but I liked it as an indication of how the Persona team is looking at social links moving forward, where perhaps we'll see social links, that even though they're about one character, has a stronger synergy with other characters.

DNAbro

I hope P5's romance subplots won't be as 'isolated' as P4's...

I know it's there to basically make it a cakewalk and to avoid causing issues with dating multiple girls (also, the fact that you could be dating Yukiko/Chie before even recruiting Naoto/Rise(I think)), but it's always felt awkward how they were hiding their relationship from the rest of the group. It's probably the one part of the game's mechanic that didn't mesh well with the story.

Marie's social-link weren't great, but I liked it as an indication of how the Persona team is looking at social links moving forward, where perhaps we'll see social links, that even though they're about one character, has a stronger synergy with other characters.

It's one of the biggest complaints in regards to the social link system. It's so isolated from everything else and has little effect on the plot, and yeah it's weird with the fact that if you date someone no one acknowledges it.

Really do hope they expand the system to make it more interconnected.

FluxWaveZ

I think I'd like it if there wasn't an option to date at all. Not because of the recent "dating sim" debate, but my opinion for not wanting romantically tinged Social Links is mostly because of those kinds of external factors. Arguments about how much of a dating sim Persona is or isn't, "waifu" garbage, debates about the main character's sexuality... I would like it if, for this one game after P3 and P4, there actually wasn't an option to date anyone.

The "Cooperation" mechanic could involve the S. Link system, along with other innovations, without actually having an option to go out with any female character, and I wouldn't care.

Edit: Holy crap at this Persona thread.

I think I'd like it if there wasn't an option to date at all. Not because of the recent "dating sim" debate, but my opinion for not wanting romantically tinged Social Links is mostly because of those kinds of external factors. Arguments about how much of a dating sim Persona is or isn't, "waifu" garbage, debates about the main character's sexuality... I would like it if, for this one game after P3 and P4, there actually wasn't an option to date anyone.

The "Cooperation" mechanic could involve the S. Link system, along with other innovations, without actually having an option to go out with any female character, and I wouldn't care.

I wouldn't mind, but realistically, that's not going to happen lol.

To me, what I'd like is for the Social Links with romance options, you'd are able to 'steer' the relationship's development over the course of the game, similar to how you could perhaps, make options along the way so that the girls don't fall heads-over-heels with you, without feeling like that option was a gimped choice or a 'friendzone' choice, etc.

I see you enjoyed Heaven.

Indeed. Im gonna keep aside half a day at least for kinokuniya in singapore (all 4 of them) when i go in May.

Anyone know anything about a release of the Persona Super Live 2015 show on DVD/Blu-ray?

Edit: Never mind, got my answer. No release date yet though...

Nice, the most I've seen in a store is at Future Shop, many copies of Persona 4 Golden placed prominently in the Vita section to that day (it was the last time I went to Québec City, 3 months ago, so it was cool that it was still being well displayed).

RIP Future Shop

The only Atlus game I've seen in stores in India was Catherine. Saw demon's souls in a CEX here and bought it. That's it. There's no Nintendo in India so nothing on 3DS in any store.

There's two Kinokuniyas in the Bay Area (SF and SJ) and they also have a dedicated section with a bunch of game art books. Always browse through them but never get around to picking anything up.

I can't believe I never checked the JP game section before. The English game guide section was full of destiny,halo, gears with some interesting (for me) stuff like Revengeance guide, ni no kuni guide.

yeah, saw this earlier. Kinda disappointed...but at the same time, the (P3 ENDING SPOILERS)
rooftop scene with Aigis was slightly touched on, i hope they make it more dramatic between Makoto and Aigis since Makoto has an actual personality now, and since they are the "canon relationship" in the movies

Yeah, spent $75 on Thanatos, but so worth it

Koromaru actually came with Metis, for who knows why. Not complaining here though, basically a free figure for me

Im still going to try and get teddie and jack frost nendoroids. Sigh. This will be expensive.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

To me, what I'd like is for the Social Links with romance options, you'd are able to 'steer' the relationship's development over the course of the game, similar to how you could perhaps, make options along the way so that the girls don't fall heads-over-heels with you, without feeling like that option was a gimped choice or a 'friendzone' choice, etc.

Kinda like the moon arcana in P4? I thought that was an interesting twist to take.

Heavenly_Spear

Neo Member
Hehehe saw that on tumblr. Probably accurate.
Uh, goddamn that guy wrote 6 paragraphs, in two posts. Tl;dr, someone cliffsnote that shit.

Mmm, I would like that. Like, that seems more natural and you wouldn't have them falling for you automatic at like rank 8 lol.

DNAbro

Edit: Holy crap at this Persona thread.

If they are going to have some type of social link system, dating will most likely be in it. I also really want a gay relationship before they think of getting rid of it. Though I would obviously still play and probably really enjoy it without it.

Also yeah that thread. Weird. I remember getting into an argument with HolyBaikal in regards to why Tales of Graces F is the just the fucking worst.

If Persona's going to have building relationships with characters be a major part of the game, romance options should be present--that's just part of what makes human relationships what they are. Especially if the cast is a bunch of teenagers.

It could be handled better in most areas, but that's where things should be improved, not thrown out. Forget the external shit, who cares.

Heavenly_Spear

Neo Member
If Persona's going to have building relationships with characters be a major part of the game, romance options should be present--that's just part of what makes human relationships what they are. Especially if the cast is a bunch of teenagers.

It could be handled better in most areas, but that's where things should be improved, not thrown out. Forget the external shit, who cares.

True true, tho, some people don't want or aren't interested in romantic relationships at all. But, the option should be there. The more options for player, the better imo.

I also hate feeling like a complete jerk for not hugging Rise when she was having her emotional outburst, even though that choice = romance.
Yeah! The other girls didn't have options that were so meh. Like they were basically ignore their feeling/kinds brush over it. Lmao it was funny seeing the girls backtrack from them coming on to you. Sometimes it was kinda awkward.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I think I got to a part that illustrates to me how different new yosuke sounds like in golden.

It seemed to be that all the old players noticed a shift, but I'm wondering if the new players can also notice a slight shift in ... lilt? Tone? The new lines are the ones talking about the motorcycle, and this one has yosuke using the angry higher pitch voice so it should be more comparable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxevCN0RJGk#t=8m

wmlk

I'm happy that the romances aren't forced for the MC. I just hope it stays that way.

Wouldn't make sense for a blank-slate protagonist in most cases.

LX_Theo

Banned
EDIT: Did he really get banned for making that School Days joke in that weird LTTP thread? A bunch of people immediately after him talking about it got banned too. Wow.

Nimby

Banned
EDIT: Did he really get banned for making that School Days joke in that weird LTTP thread? A bunch of people immediately after him talking about it got banned too. Wow.

Being off-topic in a thread that was off-topic from post numero uno is apparently what he and many others got banned for. I didn't even know he was joking or even what said joke would reference to.

LX_Theo

Banned
Being off-topic in a thread that was off-topic from post numero uno is apparently what he and many others got banned for. I didn't even know he was joking or even what said joke would reference to.

Seems like a silly thing to get banned for. Hopefully its a short lived one for reasoning like that.

LX_Theo

Banned
There's no avatar under the ban either... isn't that for perms?

That'd really suck if he was perm'd.
Nah. That's all bans. I've had a day ban before for something stupid before. Same visual representation.

I wonder if we won't get any new P5 info until P4D releases.

I would go ahead and say that its likely. Probably nothing exceptionally substantial. I could easily see E3 giving more clarification on the western release plans quickly in Sony's conference or something.

Jachaos

Nah. That's all bans. I've had a day ban before for something stupid before. Same visual representation.

I would go ahead and say that its likely. Probably nothing exceptionally substantial. I could easily see E3 giving more clarification on the western release plans quickly in Sony's conference or something.

Oh, ok, cool

Sounds like it's a week, judging by what other folks banned in that thread were saying.

Not that bad then

Will P4D have some kind of fan service event in the game? You guys know PQ had that marriage thing? P4D is on the Vita this time round… and people think of Vita as the otaku handheld… what kind of fan service will be this time round? Hopefully everyone gets to participate and not just everyone fawning over the MC again.

Squire

Banned
Will P4D have some kind of fan service event in the game? You guys know PQ had that marriage thing? P4D is on the Vita this time round… and people think of Vita as the otaku handheld… what kind of fan service will be this time round? Hopefully everyone gets to participate and not just everyone fawning over the MC again.

P4D is the fan service.

Dantis

I'd be willing to bet that P4D definitely has some fan service in the story mode.

I also think the Coronet Armor and whatnot will be in there.

I'd be fine if it was removed too. Especially if relationships are going to be treated like they were in Golden.

EDIT: Just looking at what P4G costumes aren't confirmed for P4D yet:

Midwinter uniforms (These had better be in. I like them more than the midwinter casuals)
Cross dressing outfits
Neo Featherman outfits
Bath towels
Agent Suit
Velvet Room assistant
Christmas costume
High cut armor sets

I think the midwinter uniforms will be in. I also think the Velvet Room and the high cut armor will be in. Not sure about the others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom