• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering the flirtatious nature of characters like Arsene Lupin, I'd be surprised if there was no romance elements at all in P5. It ties in too well with the idea of a gentlemen thief.

They could do more things like not allowing the mc to date everyone though, and allow relationships to form between other party members, or party members and non-party members. I think those would be improvements to the dating aspect, and might help cut down on waifu talk.

cj_iwakura

Considering the flirtatious nature of characters like Arsene Lupin, I'd be surprised if there was no romance elements at all in P5. It ties in too well with the idea of a gentlemen thief.

They could do more things like not allowing the mc to date everyone though, and allow relationships to form between other party members, or party members and non-party members. I think those would be improvements to the dating aspect, and might help cut down on waifu talk.

Heh, now I picture him being like Mondo from Killer Is Dead.

ss_e1b4c132cf0ce419591f52a7b4c6440f20ea545f.600x338.jpg

A ladies' man, a business man.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Cutting out romance options won't cut out waifu talk. The only way to do that is to have more designs that aren't just attractive females.

Antiwhippy

Removing romance options wouldn't solve it either if it contains the same amount of attractive females. That's not how the fandom will work.

Which really just brings me to my point that the series and the fandom is what it is and there's no use being exasperated by people engaging in waifu talk because at some point atlus is definitely welcoming that audience, and lack of romance options have never stop anyone. At some point this is just what the series is. We can only be hopeful that there are more social links like the dojimas and akinari, but if you don't want the option for romance I kind of feel like you're denying one of the cores of what the series is.

If anything I want more romance options, but not just limited to females.

Dantis

Removing romance options wouldn't solve it either if it contains the same amount of attractive females. That's not how the fandom will work.

Which really just brings me to my point that the series and the fandom is what it is and there's no use being exasperated by people engaging in waifu talk because at some point atlus is definitely welcoming that audience, and lack of romance options have never stop anyone. At some point this is just what the series is. We can only be hopeful that there are more social links like the dojimas and akinari, but if you don't want the option for romance I kind of feel like you're denying one of the cores of what the series is.

If anything I want more romance options, but not just limited to females.

That's fine. What I'm saying is that adding romance options beyond attractive females isn't going to 'fix' anything when it comes to the waifu talk.

Antiwhippy

Though I'm actually pretty supportive of having more consequences for two/gazzilion-timing, whereas in Persona 4 there's no penalty. Though right now I can't wait to get to valentines day to see yu, that lecherous bastard, get what's coming.

That's fine. What I'm saying is that adding romance options beyond attractive females isn't going to 'fix' anything when it comes to the waifu talk.

Oh I didn't really meant just for romance options. More meant it as a general thing. Even if you have attractive female designs with no option for romance at all someone somewhere will bring up waifu discussions.

Dantis

Though I'm actually pretty supportive of having more consequences for two/gazzilion-timing, whereas in Persona 4 there's no penalty. Though right now I can't wait to get to valentines day to see yu, that lecherous bastard, get what's coming.

It's nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be. You get a really cringey dialogue and that's it.

I felt nothing.

It's pointless to be bothered by criticisms of a vocal community in regards to stuff like waifus, it's animu, too-japanese, etc.

Persona is what it is. It's far more important to look at the conversations about the franchise in regards to the core themes that it's tackling, how the story and character engages, and whether or not the design and creative decisions are honest to what they're trying to tell.

Jintor

Well of course if you're not invested in the romance the rejections ain't going to mean anything to you man.

Tbh the chie/yukiko rejections etc didn't really bother me that much cos I don't care about those characters in that way so they kind of 'what if' episode to me. But the Rise one... man. The thing is, I really, really like Rise as a character (even if her S.Link basically just repeats her dungeon development in a sense, I feel they added a lot in the added Golden scenes) so... I've talked about this before, I think. What was it? It's like... you know. Another mask layer revealed? Something like that.

It's pointless to be bothered by criticisms of a vocal community in regards to stuff like waifus, it's animu, too-japanese, etc.

Persona is what it is. It's far more important to look at the conversations about the franchise in regards to the core themes that it's tackling, how the story and character engages, and whether or not the design and creative decisions are honest to what they're trying to tell.

Its usually people who have never played the games and have some twisted perception of them of whatever reason that label Persona as waifu simulator or whatever. Their loss.

Like you said Persona has many endearing and well thought out aspects that truly makes it the best JRPG series in gaming right now.

Antiwhippy

Oh god, just got to shu's (kid you tutor) 9 event.

While I appreciate the sentiment that's like a nightmare scenario for me. Just complete strangers showing up while you're down.

VegiHam

Cutting out romance options won't cut out waifu talk. The only way to do that is to have more designs that aren't just attractive females.
How about no girls? The entire cast is cute guys. FFXV with social links.
I don't want everyone else to be disappointed but I kinda want this for me.

QuadOpto

Then it'd just be the husbando simulator.

EDIT: But seriously, all the "waifu" and dating sim stuff gets overblown to all Hell. It's not the plot focus, it's not what the game's based on. The social links are practically almost optional in a way, and dating somebody even more so. If somebody really has that much of a problem with it, then simply don't do it. Sure, you will be missing out--Hell, from what P4G has shown, they have started thinking up ways to integrate social link progress into the story(The changes brought by Adachi and Marie's social links.), but if social interaction between characters really is too "dating-sim"-ish for you, then I really don't know what to say.

..Sorry, been seeing a lot of those threads too much now.>_> It really sucks that Flux got banned because of one of them...

wmlk

Honestly, if anything, the game should be called a high-school sim rather than a dating-sim. I didn't think many went into and came out of P3 and P4 looking for the "one true waifu". Living through an interesting high-school life with complimentary characters and a great setting is what intrigued me in the first place regarding the narrative.

It's nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be. You get a really cringey dialogue and that's it.

I felt nothing.
Yeah I agree. When I watched them I was like "That's it?". I dunno, I think it would have been better if they got mad at you instead of feeling bad about themselves.
Huh? If anything Yu and Kanji having another game's music are the exceptions.
Well I was talking about it this way:
Rise - P4 intro song
Yu - PQ intro song
Kanami - P4G intro song
Yosuke - P4 in-game song
Chie - P4G intro song
Kanji - P4A intro song

Of course it's nothing important :p But it would be funny if all the IT members end up having an intro song for their trailer while Yosuke doesn't.

Dantis

So here's something that I find amusing. Some of you will have seen it on my Twitter, but I thought I'd put it on here anyway.

This is a character from the new Fatal Frame. She is a 17 year old whose design was based on a female detective who dresses in male clothes.

Remind you of anyone?

Yeah I agree. When I watched them I was like "That's it?". I dunno, I think it would have been better if they got mad at you instead of feeling bad about themselves.
It just felt to me like they were kind of cashing in on something that hadn't been earned.

The romantic relationships are kind of just a throwaway thing, particularly compared to the overall relationship of the Investigation Team. When Rise was doing her whole "I'm your girlfriend" spiel, I just felt awkward. There have been relationships in games that I've cared about, but the romantic ones in Persona are a footnote in the scheme of things, in my opinion.

Setsu00

So here's something that I find amusing. Some of you will have seen it on my Twitter, but I thought I'd put it on here anyway.

This is a character from the new Fatal Frame. She is a 17 year old whose design was based on a female detective who dresses in male clothes.

Remind you of anyone?

Fatal Frame is the one game that makes me wish I had a Wii U.

Dantis

Fatal Frame is the one game that makes me wish I had a Wii U.

Yeah man, I'm an absolutely huge fan of the series. I love how all the stories interconnect and whatnot. Finished all five of them (six, I guess, if you count Spirit Camera). Can't wait to play FF5.

cj_iwakura

Yeah man, I'm an absolutely huge fan of the series. I love how all the stories interconnect and whatnot. Finished all five of them (six, I guess, if you count Spirit Camera). Can't wait to play FF5.

Fun fact: there's a lot of crossover between the Fatal Frame and Deception teams. That's why you tend to see costumes from one in the other.

Dantis

Fun fact: there's a lot of crossover between the Fatal Frame and Deception teams. That's why you tend to see costumes from one in the other.

Yep. Makoto Shibata didn't work on the newest one though. I guess because he was busy writing Project Zero 5.

Also the only costume crossover I can think of is the Deception 2 costume in Project Zero 2 for Xbox.

Is it someone I should know?

How many guesses do I get?

You don't think she looks like Naoto? Because I think she looks a lot like Naoto.

cj_iwakura

Yep. Makoto Shibata didn't work on the newest one though. I guess because he was busy writing Project Zero 5.

Also the only costume crossover I can think of is the Deception 2 costume in Project Zero 2 for Xbox.

Deception IV is damn good, so no complaints here.

2 is easily the most iconic character in the series.

Xenoflare

Remind you of anyone?

She shares the same Japanese voice actress with Aigis. #UselessVAtrivia

Jachaos

So how old are Shihoko and Kawamura? I thought the answer would be simple but it's easier to find out the damned blood type than their age.

Sophia

So how old are Shihoko and Kawamura? I thought the answer would be simple but it's easier to find out the damned blood type than their age.

Dunno about Kawamura, but Shihoko Hirata's age is deliberately unknown. Her blog's profile intentionally lists no year, just that her birthday is June 18th.

It isn't terribly unusual for Japanese women to not give their age out tho, especially if they're like Hirata and unmarried.

Jachaos

Dunno about Kawamura, but Shihoko Hirata's age is deliberately unknown. Her blog's profile intentionally lists no year, just that her birthday is June 18th.

It isn't terribly unusual for Japanese women to not give their age out tho, especially if they're like Hirata and unmarried.

I see. I was most curious about Kawamura actually as I was looking back on that Wei City concert and thinking that was already 6 years ago and she looked quite a bit younger but not young either, so she's probably up in the 50's was my guess and I wanted to see if I was right. For Shihoko I just wondered how old she was when she started on Persona 4 but that's an easier guess because of the biography (being introduced to 90s soul music at 12, attending a music school in 2002). She must've been something like 24 at that show in 2009 while Lotus Juice was 30 and Kawamura I guess was 40 something. Quite the mix.

Shengar

..Sorry, been seeing a lot of those threads too much now.>_> It really sucks that Flux got banned because of one of them...

Like I said, people have selective perception installed to their mind. Catering to these people is hopeless and futile, to meet their demand is to make something different altogether.

CorvoSol

Persona Q, Dungeon 4
Inaba Pride
Floor 2

So, I'm about as hardcore as a marshmallow. I had to lie, cheat and steal my way through the OG Persona trilogy and some of you no doubt saw how much I cussed my way through SMT4. It comes as no surprise, then, I suppose, that Persona Q is kicking my ass, haha. That said, I'm loving it. I finally cleared the second floor of the final dungeon, and I'm really in love with this dungeon. It might usurp Group Date Cafe as the dungeon I like most in the game. The fire mechanic and the FOEs have made the crawl as much a puzzle to be solved as a matter of enduring the onslaught of some frustrating shadows (I'm not gonna lie, at level 49-53 Yu excepted my team's making frequent trips to Elizabeth's office.)

I'm absolutely in love with the way this game plays, though. The sub-Persona system adds a great level of customization to the series, and the ability to trade in maxed out Personas for XP and skill cards ensures I'm that much more selective with which Personae I keep on me and when. I kind of love huge parties in RPGs. Maybe not to Fire Emblem or Chrono Cross degree where I simply cannot be bothered to keep taking care of everyone, and yet at the same time I can't help but love being able to change up the faces in my group at any given time. Canon limitations being what they are, I'm positively ecstatic about getting to use the casts of both games.

The plot isn't incredible, but it's pretty good. I've enjoyed every Persona spin off GAME (SHUT UP BUDDHA NOBODY WANTS TO TALK ABOUT GOLDEN ANIME AND TRINITY SOILS) so far. Yeah, Labrys was a bit forced and Arena's execution was a mess and sure, Sho was a dopey edgelord, but I dunno, it's been fun. Two games of high school kids running around town or school pummeling each other, plus an RPG with nifty dungeons that aren't Tartarus or the TV has worked. I'm really excited for Dancing's dumb ass plot, too.

So yeah, I'm really enjoying PQ and it's driving home how fun this whole Persona 3/4 spin off sub-series has been. I'm stoked as shit for 5, obviously, but the entertainment along the way has been good.

Antiwhippy

Oh man.

This valentines day scene.

Love 'em and leave 'em narukami decided to hang out with the boys to brag after rejecting everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom