• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nachos

Persona Q, Dungeon 4
Inaba Pride
Floor 2

So, I'm about as hardcore as a marshmallow. I had to lie, cheat and steal my way through the OG Persona trilogy and some of you no doubt saw how much I cussed my way through SMT4. It comes as no surprise, then, I suppose, that Persona Q is kicking my ass, haha. That said, I'm loving it. I finally cleared the second floor of the final dungeon, and I'm really in love with this dungeon. It might usurp Group Date Cafe as the dungeon I like most in the game. The fire mechanic and the FOEs have made the crawl as much a puzzle to be solved as a matter of enduring the onslaught of some frustrating shadows (I'm not gonna lie, at level 49-53 Yu excepted my team's making frequent trips to Elizabeth's office.)

Yeah, you're definitely in the final stretch. What's your time been so far?

Oh, and what'd you think of the third stratum?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
LOL.

That's hilarious.

Did the scenes make you feel anything?

Naoto made me a little shitty, seeing that she's saying that she feels like she knows the truth but doesn't want to know to avoid the hurt. :(

I mean you feel kinda shitty altogether because it's a pretty shitty thing to do anyway, but the final together with the guys felt like the appropriate punchline.

Also pretty much how I feel canon narukami would deal with things.

I didn't like Naoto's because the way she talks about it. I feel it's like "Hey remember Naoto's a detective? Cuz she can talk like one when talking about her feelings!"

Thud

Pretty excited for Persona 5. The red theme reminds me a bit of Persona 2. Considering demons return in the series, I'm hoping demon contact is back too.

PK Gaming

I didn't like Naoto's because the way she talks about it. I feel it's like "Hey remember Naoto's a detective? Cuz she can talk like one when talking about her feelings!"

Naoto: Well, this is a first.
Naoto: There is a mystery, and I know the answer, yet I want to look away from it...
Naoto: When I try to logically analyze the situation, another part of me tries to stop it.
Naoto: It tells me "you'll only get hurt..."
Naoto: And now, i'm following that voice. I'm a failure for someone who claims to be after the truth...

GROAN

DNAbro

Pretty excited for Persona 5. The red theme reminds me a bit of Persona 2. Considering demons return in the series, I'm hoping demon contact is back too.

I'm pretty sure they referred to what we are fighting as Personas. Don't know why though.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Welp, just blasted through the whole thing.

Putting it on very easy and just ignoring everything other than the bosses was a fairly pleasant way to play it.

Overall I'd say yes, this was the definitive edition, but I dunno if it's just me being a curmudgeon by feeling that some cohesiveness was lost by tacking on so much more. Though I did enjoy most of the additions. Marie's stuff though felt somewhat disconnected to me, both with how her social link was handled and the way it fits into the story.

Think I'll move onto persona 2 now.

Thud

I'm pretty sure they referred to what we are fighting as Personas. Don't know why though.

After acquiring tarot cards you're able to summon additional persona. That has always been the case. But the line between demon and persona is pretty thin altogether. The ones you awaken are always personae and they are probably my favorite moments in the persona series.

Rubedo

Because Personas and demons are not the same and just because you see them fighting a Persona doesn't automatically make it a "demon".

Probably just a Persona from the collective unconcious rather than tied to any one specific person.

LX_Theo

Banned
After acquiring tarot cards you're able to summon additional persona. That has always been the case. But the line between demon and persona is pretty thin altogether. The ones you awaken are always personae and they are probably my favorite moments in the persona series.

I think you missed the point.

In interviews, the enemies were referred to as Persona.

DNAbro

Because Personas and demons are not the same and just because you see them fighting a Persona doesn't automatically make it a "demon".

Probably just a Persona from the collective unconcious rather than tied to any one specific person.

I meant I dont know why we are fighting Personas. Hasn't been explained.

Setsu00

Demon contact should never return to Persona. While I think that talking with demons is kinda fun, it also gets incredibly tedious if you have to say the same stuff over and over and over.

Demon contact should never return to Persona. While I think that talking with demons is kinda fun, it also gets incredibly tedious if you have to say the same stuff over and over and over.

Not to mention that mainline SMT already has that covered. Persona's more about talking to those who aren't trying to kill you.

Thud

I'll never get bored of Tatsuya's imitations. Anyway since they're referred to as personas there's zero chance about that happening.

PK Gaming

hqdefault.jpg

Ulala almost makes P2:EP worth playing. Almost.

Rubedo

Not gonna lie, kinda peeved the scenes are pretty much just self-pity and no calling the MC out on his shit.

I think that's one thing that bothers me about most of the romances in P4. It's not just this scene but almost all of them place the MC as more "powerful" than them in the relationship and seek validation from him in some way. Rise is the only one I can think of that tells you how things are gonna be rather than just look to you for everthing and ask for validation to be themselves. I mean Naoto asks to change herself for you which is...not so great.

I honestly don't think it's fun at all even in SMT. It just serves as an extra barrier from getting you new stuff. Much more convenient to just get them in a shuffle.

Andrefpvs

I'd have something like this:

• Change Persona acquisition to "Persona capture" (it even fits in with the "thieves" motif of the game -- literally stealing Personas from the dungeons)
  • Have the option to capture a low-health Persona/Demon/whatever when you're fighting it, adding a new mechanic to battles. Use elemental weaknesses/status changes to make it easier to capture.

With the ridiculously high popularity of Yo-Kai Watch and Pokémon in Japan, I wouldn't be surprised if they took some ideas from those games to try and get some of that audience.

Even without considering this a business strategy, I think it would make Persona acquisition more fun, instead of relying on the current chance minigame.

Demon negotiation or getting random cards, in my opinion, just isn't very fun. That "Pokémon" feeling of going into a battle and "Holy shit, it's Jack Frost! I want him!" and achieving that through actual battle sounds much more appealing.

Hey I'm new here.

• Change Persona acquisition to "Persona capture" (it even fits in with the "thieves" motif of the game -- literally stealing Personas from the dungeons)
  • Have the option to capture a low-health Persona/Demon/whatever when you're fighting it, adding a new mechanic to battles. Use elemental weaknesses/status changes to make it easier to capture.

Anything is better then the current way of aquiring personas, it's really bland.
I do enjoy demon negotiations though, it adds character to the demons and the randomness of it makes it so that you can get all kinds of wierd and memorable encounters.

Had to be done!

That's pretty awesome! Shame I know NOTHING about fatal frame in order to have a true appreciation of it, but still, awesome picture nonetheless.

Hey I'm new here.

Howdy! Inevitably someone will post that 'you're here forever' image.

In the meantime......... newcomers quiz!
1) What is your favorite persona character?
2) favorite persona game
3) favorite persona song
4) favorite persona scene
5) favorite persona
6) favorite s.link
7) What are your thoughts on the Kanamin trailer?

PK Gaming

With the ridiculously high popularity of Yo-Kai Watch and Pokémon in Japan, I wouldn't be surprised if they took some ideas from those games to try and get some of that audience.

Even without considering this a business strategy, I think it would make Persona acquisition more fun, instead of relying on the current chance minigame.

Demon negotiation or getting random cards, in my opinion, just isn't very fun. That "Pokémon" feeling of going into a battle and "Holy shit, it's Jack Frost! I want him!" and achieving that through actual battle sounds much more appealing.

This is a ridiculously good idea.

Could you imagine rolling through the lategame dungeon when all of a sudden you find

P4-Yoshitsune.png

Jesus christ, I need to get him, RIGHT NOW. Okay, so it turns out he's tough. No biggie, if I get him down to 15%~ I can catch him for sure. Just one more hit and...

Ryouji scored a critical hit.

Navigator: The battle is over, way to go guys!

tumblr_m2ghxmhl181qc3tu4.png

Dantis

That's pretty awesome! Shame I know NOTHING about fatal frame in order to have a true appreciation of it, but still, awesome picture nonetheless.

She's a new character in Fatal Frame 5, so I know nothing about her either, haha! I just drew it because she reminded me a lot of Naoto.

In the meantime......... newcomers quiz!

Yosuke: most likeable and relatable character. Even his gimmicky character traits like his relationship with Saki is implemented nicely in all the P4 spinoffs

2) favorite persona game
Persona 3 Portable: i prefer P3's story and characters over P4 and the new features (FemC, better social links and being handheld) are improvements over FES

3) favorite persona song
Memories of you

Making an omelette with the P4 girls

5) favorite persona
Tam lin

6) favorite s.link
All the new P3P s.links (especially Rio, Soari, Junpei and Akihiko)
I also like Temperance in P4

7) What are your thoughts on the P4D trailers
I'm only digging the dance styles of Narukami, Rise and Yosuke. I'm interested in Naoto's trailer.

Dantis

Yosuke: most likeable and relatable character. Even his gimmicky character traits like his relationship with Saki is implemented nicely in all the P4 spinoffs

2) favorite persona game
Persona 3 Portable: i prefer P3's story and characters over P4 and the new features (FemC, better social links and being handheld) are improvements over FES

3) favorite persona song
Memories of you

Making an omelette with the P4 girls

5) favorite persona
Tam lin

6) favorite s.link
All the new P3P s.links (especially Rio, Soari, Junpei and Akihiko)
I also like Temperance in P4

7) What are your thoughts on the P4D trailers
I'm only digging the dance styles of Narukami, Rise and Yosuke. I'm interested in Naoto's trailer.

GOOD CHOICES ALL AROUND.

That legitimately looks like something Naoto would actually wear. Good job!

Thanks! :D

Andrefpvs

Anything is better then the current way of aquiring personas, it's really bland.
I do enjoy demon negotiations though, it adds character to the demons and the randomness of it makes it so that you can get all kinds of wierd and memorable encounters.

Welcome! I agree, anything is better than what we have.

I honestly don't care much for negotiation because I never cared for the demons as characters themselves. It's a bit of a contrast to have a nice chat with someone who is otherwise trying to murder you. I can totally understand why some people like it, though, some of those things are charming.

This is a ridiculously good idea.

Could you imagine rolling through the lategame dungeon when all of a sudden you find

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090226124154/megamitensei/images/0/0e/P4-Yoshitsune.png

Jesus christ, I need to get him, RIGHT NOW. Okay, so it turns out he's tough. No biggie, if I get him down to 15%~ I can catch him for sure. Just one more hit and...

Ryouji scored a critical hit.

Navigator: The battle is over, way to go guys!

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2ghxmhl181qc3tu4.png

Thanks! I've been thinking about this ever since the Nippon Budokan event, it would be so cool and add so much to the battles. They could even tweak the Persona Compendium info pages (you know, this) to be accessible more easily and include a ???/Seen/Owned Persona list (like a Pokédex, lol) in order to encourage collecting.

I think I proposed stealing as a mechanic to get tarot cards (items, money, bonus xp, healing, personas) some time back. It'd be a pretty awesome system, even if it does emulate Pokemon a bit.

Yep! I need to stop getting excited about this, especially since it's by no means confirmed. But it would indeed be awesome.

Oh, and awesome drawing, Dantis!

How do you think capturing personas would be impacted by fusion? All of the most interesting personas would (presumably) be obtainable through fusion exclusively, so would capturing them eventually become more of a pain than a thrill? I just don't know if I'd feel excited trying to catch a persona, even a cool one, if I'm just planning to use it as fusion fodder anyway. What do you guys think?

I was never a fan of demon negotiation. It was always just by randomness that you can recruit demons. At least in Persona 1 the demons had personalities that you can exploit.

CorvoSol

Trying to catch this River Guardian is going to be the death of me. I feel like my sanity is slipping further and further away...

Do you have the Triangle Button? I don't know that it is possible to catch either Guardian without that skill unlocked.

2) favorite persona game

I still love P4 more but this puts you in the instant brobox, so grats

I love the comment about "Eat your hamburgers, Apollo."

I was never a fan of demon negotiation. It was always just by randomness that you can recruit demons. At least in Persona 1 the demons had personalities that you can exploit.

The only good thing I can say about Demon Negotiation in Persona is that at least there was a wheel to tell you how close to success/failure you were.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom