• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiyoaki

Thank you, I'm listening to this right now. The P4 battle theme version is cute.

I guess that was it for the 5/5 theory, then?

FluxWaveZ

I guess that was it for the 5/5 theory, then?

It wasn't much of a theory per se since all it had going for it were the numbers but, yeah, it's pretty safe to say that the hopefuls who voted "yes" (which were most) were wrong and that there will be no Persona news at all.

Yeah, looks like nothing came of that, 25/6 then for the next major Persona 5 news, although we should at least hear more about the blu-ray before then.

To me, anything regarding the status of Persona 5's release in North America this year would be major, despite perhaps not being substantial. I'm looking to E3 for anything like that. As for media? Yeah, you're right that the special Blu-ray disc might be where it's at.

Why is Atlus USA so quiet about P4Dancing's release date? Seriously its May and still no promo or trailers? When is it expected to be released?

Nachos

Why is Atlus USA so quiet about P4Dancing's release date? Seriously its May and still no promo or trailers? August 2015?
They made Instagram posts about Mercer and Arem not too long ago, so I'm sure they'll kick it off soon. Only question is if they'll kick off a consistent marketing campaign immediately afterwards or if they'll make an announcement and stagger things out later.

They made Instagram posts about Mercer and Arem not too long ago, so I'm sure they'll kick it off soon. Only question is if they'll kick off a consistent marketing campaign immediately afterwards or if they'll make an announcement and stagger things out later.

You saying this is going to be like Persona Q? Someone said Persona Q has finished recording during June. Game wasn't released until Nov 25th.

Meaning P5 releases before P4Dancing or P5 gets delayed to 2016.

DNAbro

Why is Atlus USA so quiet about P4Dancing's release date? Seriously its May and still no promo or trailers? When is it expected to be released?

They might not say anything till E3.

You saying this is going to be like Persona Q? Someone said Persona Q has finished recording during June. Game wasn't released until Nov 25th.

I don't think that's right.

Nachos

Yeah, just talking about an announcement. I thought the period between the voices finishing recording and the release date announcement were pretty close together. I think that all happened in June last year during or around E3, so maybe DAN will have a faster turnaround time than five months.

Wait for E3 before assuming anything about the release dates, there's no point in worrying about it too much right now.

Well the amount of Atlus USA releases for 2015 is too much to handle. Why wouldn't the game be delayed? There's already titles in July August so I don't see how the Persona games won't be delayed.

DNAbro

Well the amount of Atlus USA releases for 2015 is too much to handle. Why wouldn't the game be delayed? There's already titles in July August so I don't see how the Persona games won't be delayed.

Cause it's their big sellers. Persona will come when it's going to come, regardless of surrounding releases.

Cause it's their big sellers. Persona will come when it's going to come, regardless of surrounding releases.

How can you be so sure? Persona Q came in Nov 25th? It got delayed 5 months. P4Dan also releases in June, it can also be delayed 5 months. Maybe you think P5 coming out Dec then I guess it still matches the 2015 release date.

If the persona games do end up delayed it won't be because of the other games they are working on. Other games coming out in a month doesn't matter as Persona is bigger than those games.

FluxWaveZ

If the persona games do end up delayed it won't be because of the other games they are working on. Other games coming out in a month doesn't matter as Persona is bigger than those games.

I don't know about that. Even if we don't know the inner workings of the localization process, and especially not Atlus', there's no question that it's a matter of resources and how those resources are allocated. If a 2015 North American Persona 5 release was not seen as being as much of a priority as the 2015 localization of the other titles they have announced, I think the other games would definitely be a factor.

Yes look at 2014 for example right? And compare to how many games are going to be released in the next 6 months. Its logical to assume the Persona games will get delayed.

There were little games in 2014 and PersonaQ came out Nov25th. Now there's so many games so how likely is dancing coming out before Nov25th?

P5 is looking more and more like a 2016 title and P4Dancing is just going to be like PersonaQ (november release 2015). Instead of hyping up the Persona games, the focus is on other 3rd party games to be released. I think when E3 comes there's a good chance most of you will be disappointed.

MSMrRound

Yes look at 2014 for example right? And compare to how many games are going to be released in the next 6 months. Its logical to assume the Persona games will get delayed.

There were little games in 2014 and PersonaQ came out Nov25th. Now there's so many games so how likely is dancing coming out before Nov25th?

P5 is looking more and more like a 2016 title and P4Dancing is just going to be like PersonaQ (november release 2015). Instead of hyping up the Persona games, the focus is on other 3rd party games to be released. I think when E3 comes there's a good chance most of you will be disappointed.

In case you didn't realize already, you are unwittingly rubbing people the wrong way with some of your posts.

We can speculate for all we care, but again, like we stated, if we are going by solid stuff that we already know, if we should get more information about the English version of both Dancing All Night and Persona 5, next month's E3 is considered our best bet for now, followed by the release of P4Dancing in Japan on June 26 for that Persona 5 blu-ray disc.

Yes, there's a chance that Persona 5 might get delayed but again, I'll rather wait for official news right from John/AtlusUSA before I start worrying about that.

Personally, some of us are inclined to think that Sony Playstation is very much more involved in P5 than previous mainline Persona titles, given by the presence at some of the official Sony presentations and stuff, so a push/helping hand from Sony wouldn't be unexpected.

I don't know about that. Even if we don't know the inner workings of the localization process, and especially not Atlus', there's no question that it's a matter of resources and how those resources are allocated. If a 2015 North American Persona 5 release was not seen as being as much of a priority as the 2015 localization of the other titles they have announced, I think the other games would definitely be a factor.
I would assume that Persona 5 is a priority as it's one of their biggest titles and I'd guess they want it out this year, as a result I'd also assume that the wouldn't take on these other projects if they felt they would result in a P5 delay. Obviously those other titles still take resources but I don't think a possible P5 delay will be because of their other projects.

DNAbro

I highly doubt P4DAN is coming out in November. I'd expect the turnaround time for it to be closer to Ultimax than PQ.

I still believe that P5 is coming out this year in NA, and will only start to doubt that if they announce a late Japanese release date for P5.

EDIT: and as a note, in that podcast that John Hardin( i believe it was him) he said something about Atlus not liking to officially announce release dates until they have all details regarding special editions when asked about P4DAN special editions. (or something similar to that) I'm sure we will hear about P4DAN soon.

FluxWaveZ

I would assume that Persona 5 is a priority as it's one of their biggest titles and I'd guess they want it out this year, as a result I'd also assume that the wouldn't take on these other projects if they felt they would result in a P5 delay. Obviously those other titles still take resources but I don't think a possible P5 delay will be because of their other projects.

That's the thing: we can only assume. I would also think that Persona 5 would be their top priority above all because... it's Persona 5. But I also don't want to say it for sure, because we really have no idea. A potential situation where the ROI of the localization for 4 smaller RPG titles in 2015 is larger than the ROI of Persona 5 releasing in 2015, in a case where they were mutually exclusive situations? I could envision something like that.

In case you didn't realize already, you are unwittingly rubbing people the wrong way with some of your posts.

We can speculate for all we care, but again, like we stated, if we are going by solid stuff that we already know, if we should get more information about the English version of both Dancing All Night and Persona 5, next month's E3 is considered our best bet for now, followed by the release of P4Dancing in Japan on June 26 for that Persona 5 blu-ray disc.

Yes, there's a chance that Persona 5 might get delayed but again, I'll rather wait for official news right from John/AtlusUSA before I start worrying about that.

Personally, some of us are inclined to think that Sony Playstation is very much more involved in P5 than previous mainline Persona titles, given by the presence at some of the official Sony presentations and stuff, so a push/helping hand from Sony wouldn't be unexpected.

Well its just a matter of considering the amount of games to be released this year vs. last year's games. You have like 2 Persona games + quite a few other 1st party + 3rd party titles. Its too logical to ignore and I think you're taking my posts the wrong way.

Different games on different platforms, plus was there any major Atlus releases in the same time frame as PQ?

Don't think so? Its so different this year which is why it is only logical to assume P4Dancing will be a very late 2015 game.

PQ finished VA stuff during June too.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I do wonder if atlus will be pushing for 5 to release faster in the west. They've been building their western audience for years now and a new flagship RPG fairly early into the new generation which is struggling to find original games might be explosion to set off an era for atlus.

Sony might also be pushing for another game for what is a pretty bare bones lineup so far.

That's the thing: we can only assume. I would also think that Persona 5 would be their top priority above all because... it's Persona 5. But I also don't want to say it for sure, because we really have no idea. A potential situation where the ROI of the localization for 4 smaller RPG titles in 2015 is larger than the ROI of Persona 5 releasing in 2015, in a case where they were mutually exclusive situations? I could envision something like that.
The ROI situation is a tough call, P5 could be their most expensive project yet but it could also sell really well. While 4 smaller titles might be a smaller investment they could have a terrible return.

At the end of the day It's all based on assumptions but I don't think it's too crazy to assume that P5 would be a priority.

FluxWaveZ

At the end of the day It's all based on assumptions but I don't think it's too crazy to assume that P5 would be a priority.

Yeah, I don't think so either. Personally, this is what I'd like to think, and I also believe that it will be releasing in 2015.

I think July sounds too soon for P4D. August at the earliest.

DNAbro

Just as a reference in March Erin Fitzgerald said in a March episode of Up at Noon that they were finishing up/finished recording P4AU and it released in September. Which would be a 6/7 month span between the two.

The span between Japanese release and English was 1 month.

I can't find anything directly saying PQ was wrapped up in June, expect a random post by someone.( If someone could provide definitive proof that would be welcome) But if it was wrapped up in June and release in November it would be a 5/6 month span between the two.

Span between Japanese and English release was 5/6 months (june to november).

Now we are hearing that P4DAN is wrapping up in April, 5/6 months would be August/September.(the release time many were guessing)

And throwing this out, it is a possibility they have started on P5 voice acting.

CorvoSol

4gIFoSl.jpg

I'm a shit artist, there's no denying that.

So the idea here is to sort of dress up Clara n Shinji in outfits that I associate with Personae I associate with them. That is, neither one has a unique second level Persona, and so I just sort of made that up. Clara is dressed as Sati, while Shinjiro is dressed as Arthur.

For reference:

I chose Sati for Clara as a sort of double contrast to Messiah. In Hindu myth, Sati, after self-immolating, is reincarnated as Parvati. Messiah, as Christ, dies and is resurrected. But where Sati dies and comes back as another, Messiah dies and comes back as Himself. It sort of reflects that, although
Makoto dies
his character persists in the series in one way or another, whilst Clara's character passes on through others. I thought about picking Lilith since she's Adam's "noncanon wife" but I don't really like any Lilith designs in Megaten so I opted for Sati.

For Shinjiro I chose Arthur to sort of contrast Caesar. This is because in some versions of the Arthurian legend, King Arthur conquers Rome. The Emperor he defeats is Lucius, not Caesar, and obviously Arthur is not a contemporary of Caesar's, but given his legendary conquest of Rome, I felt it made for a good rival to Caesar. Obviously Brutus works best, but I don't think Brutus has ever been a demon or Persona in the whole Megaten series. I had to move the wings down from the helmet to the back to make it identifiable in some way that this was Shinjiro, but then I realized I can't draw so it doesn't really matter.

1. What are your thoughts on FemC and how different do you think she is from the Male P3MC?

I'm biased as Hell. I played her alongside P3MC, so I don't know what Persona 3 is supposed to be like without her, but it will always only be half a game without her to me. I think where the Male MC is extremely reserved and sort of the epitome of that late 00s 'cool' anime character, Female MC is nearly raw emotion. At least, that's how I played her. When her librarian friend is getting picked on, she dashes to the rescue!

I think the best example of this is the Rio vs Kenji Social Links. They follow a similar set up and arc, about unrequited and unattainable love interests, but the way they play out is extremely different. At least for me, Male MC is extremely apathetic toward Kenji's relationship, and the whole thing culminates in him laughing his ass off at his loser of an acquaintance. On the other hand, the options in the Rio Social Link, while admittedly surprised, play out much more supportively, much more lovingly, and in a way that remains focused on Rio rather than Rio's love for a loser.

I don't think Male MC is bad, but I don't deny that I find myself more interested in the more emotive and emotional Female MC than the stoic, cool guy that he was.

2. What did you think to Shinjiro's story in P3 and his Social Link in Portable?

The best FeMC SLink is Koromaru, bar none, but Shinjiro is a close second. What do I think of it? I think it's fucking genius, and I can't imagine giving a shit about Shinji without it. I think I fucking had to hack my goddamn copy of the game and literally fucking time travel the first time I played P3P when
Shinji died because I'd fucked it up.

I mean, seriously, Shinjiro is an entirely different character with that Social Link. He goes from being the badass tough guy Reiji Kido tier douchenozzle with no personality to speak of to arguably the most sensitive, loving, and thoughtful members of SEES. He goes from being an unfeeling asshole who exists to shoe horn in some edgy bullshit about drugs to someone I legitimately cared about and was actually upset to lose.

What makes it all the better is they could have just written that romance as the typical bad boy schlock, but instead they decided to completely unravel him, and it works so damn well. The timing for it, the Cid Fish Feeding Sidequest effect it can have on the game, and the general charm it imbues his character with take Shinji from one of the most empty and brief party members in the series to an instant classic.

3. What do you think of Orpheus' female redesign? What do you think of Castor?

I like Orpheus F way more than Orpheus M. Messiah tops her, but that scarf and hair combo is rad. I'm a sucker for robots with hair. I confess I'm not a big fan of Castor, but I like that he has a horse. He sort of reminds me of an upgrade of the Mounted Shadows you face in P4.

4. What did you think about the changes made to the story in Portable when playing as FemC, however minor they were?

I think I've said this before, but I think they were pretty damn great. I can't imagine P3 without them. So far, despite owning FES, I've refused to play a version of P3 that doesn't have them. Whether it's seeing Ken kind of come to grips with his childhood a little better, or Theodore not being treated like the series butt monkey for no fucking reason, or Koromaru and Shinjiro's Social Links, I can't help but love her. Girls' night on Christmas is always a gas, and the Librarian Social Link is so much better than the pointless bullshit that is the Fat Fuck Social Link and Fucking Idiot Social Link on Male Side that it's amazing to see them in the same game.

And that people have the word canon shoved so far up their assess that this amazing stuff will never really be acknowledged ever again kills me.

5. How well do you feel Shinjiro was portrayed in Persona Q?

I played Side 4, so I really didn't get to experience much of Shinji. It was nice to see him still nagging away at Akihiko, teaching girls to cook, and all, but I feel that, unlike Ken, Mitsuru, Akihiko, Aigis, Koromaru and Fuuka; Shinjiro, Yukari, and Junpei don't really have much in the way of noteworthy interactions with the cast of 4.

6. If FemC and Shinji were in an 'Arena' game, how would they play and what would some moves be?

About all we do know about FeMC is that girl has hops in combat and has a passing interest in hockey. I think she'd probably play similar to Labrys, but Labrys' axe is kind of big and slow, whereas a Naginata would move more quickly, though still require the same sort of movement that the likes of Ken with his spear might.

Still, I'd like to imagine she was sort of an in-the-air kind of character. Shinjiro never even takes his hand out of his pocket to swing his axe, so I imagine he's hard hitting, but slow and inaccurate. I dunno how this shit translates into fighting games, tho.

Olengie

I'm hoping for a Summer Release for P4DAN, although the most realistic release month would be August at the earliest.

Nachos

Didn't pq get delayed because it had an insane amount of dialogue in comparison to Ultimax?
Not sure about delayed, but two separate RPG campaigns with a lot of dialogue unique to each should've taken quite some time. Didn't Nich Maragos or someone else say that Q was their biggest voice project yet?

I don't think any first-part Atlus game has had subbed options in the asian release.
And even then, aren't those English translations usually handled by separate companies and don't have much localization work put in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom