• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weiss

Banned
I don't remember that one.
Also, I feel the characters don't get enough credit. It's easy enough to paint someone as a caricature with capslock.
Also, the White dictate who you work with after the alignment lock. Everyone seems to get along reasonably well before Lilith, regardless of alignment points.

He's referring to the part where
Walter loses his shit on you because you didn't immediately kill Issachar when he was turned into a demon.

CorvoSol

I don't remember that one.
Also, I feel the characters don't get enough credit. It's easy enough to paint someone as a caricature with capslock.
Also, the White dictate who you work with after the alignment lock. Everyone seems to get along reasonably well before Lilith, regardless of alignment points.

But that's honestly all the major characters of SMT IV are: caricatures. I don't mean to exaggerate when I say that Nozumi and Mara's Keeper have more personality to them than any character with artwork in the game.

I mean what more can you really say about the rich kid from early on in the game? His entire character boils down to being a colossal asshole based on the caste system present in the game's world. Then there's the lady in the dress, who
dies in your second or third encounter.
Suit wearing mob boss gets a little better, if being a blatant neon sign screaming "foreshadowing for Walter's character arc" is considered better.

Walter and Jonathon were terrible characters. When
you have to kill your friend because demons consumed his soul, no matter which choice you pick, one of the two of them will respond in a ridiculously over the top and immature way.
Walter gets more and more comic book villain as his arc goes on,
It's wrong how my people were oppressed but might also makes right and I am incapable of introspection!
and Jonathon's not any better
siding with a corrupt heaven because, well, why?

The game tries to create this duality with its black and white imagery, then doubles back for some moral greyness, except it can't handle moral complexity so it settles for the next best thing: a 13 year old's idea of how Heaven and Hell are both kind of twats.

I mean there are ideas that could work in that game, I guess, but they're always, always thrown out in favor of the overwhelming moral that everyone, human, demon, angel or God is an asshole. I mean, there are almost no sympathetic moments for these characters, especially after you go against them. For being dudes who were supposed to be your best bros, there's no attempt made at making them friendly at all once you descend below Naraku. And there's nothing to them aside from the asshole version of the route they embody. At least Isabeau had manga to her. Jonny and Wally had no hobbies at all.

Lightning the iWatch is all "Oh humanity are Gods! They make their own future!" but then you remember being forced to sit through a tedious sidequest in an arena where the crowd pissed itself every time you didn't slice a dude's neck for losing to you.

The game wants you to think it's all about how Order sometimes comes at the cost of Freedom, and how Determinism perpetuates a world of Victims, except that the highly ordered world above the shell is full of victims, too, and the allegedly free world of Tokyo is literally a cage full of smaller cages.

and all this before the world drops you into the hilariously hamfisted Blasted and Infernal segments.

I haven't played the rest of the SMT series yet, but IV's plot was bad enough to put me off them and replaying it. I got the Neutral ending without trying simply because siding with either of the self-absorbed assholes who were allegedly your friends was so repellent I wound up choosing it naturally.

Nah, they got about as much credit as they deserved.

I'll grant that I liked Isabeau, but it's mostly because she wasn't a thoroughly awful person and not really that she's any more developed than either of the others.

Basically, what Corvo here is trying to say is: The PSP version of Innocent Sins sucks and in no way should the original PS1 duology be judged off the failures of the port.

I still think IS and EP are kinda clunky and I hate card collecting and think P1 was the best of the three, but yeah, given the choice between PSP and PSX, I'd go for PSX.

Ah, so me finding IS psp insufferable to play through was more about the port quality?

For the most part. Some of it is still that it's sort of a clunky old PS1 game.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I like the nihilistic tone of SMT (IV even has a route that is literallty nihilism), and don't really think there's anything wrong with writing about nihilism. I think IV is is the worst in the series when it comes writing the different moral routes. It does a very poor job of justifying Walter's and Jonathan's moral leanings. I don't think jonathan's was supposed to be justified as he represent the dangers of dogma, but that doesn't make him any less of an unlikable asshole, plus there's no real nuance to him at all. I feel like they wrote walter into a hypocrite unwittingly. Also the neutral route is just you being the biggest schizophrenic who jumps between 2 morally opposite sides at a drop of a hat.

CorvoSol

I like the nihilistic tone of SMT (IV even has a route that is literallty nihilism), and don't really think there's anything wrong with writing about nihilism. I think IV is is the worst in the series when it comes writing the different moral routes. It does a very poor job of justifying Walter's and Jonathan's moral leanings. I don't think jonathan's was supposed to be justified as he represent the dangers of dogma, but that doesn't make him any less of an unlikable asshole, plus there's no real nuance to him at all. I feel like they wrote walter into a hypocrite unwittingly. Also the neutral route is just you being the biggest schizophrenic who jumps between 2 morally opposite sides at a drop of a hat.

See, but those are my problems there. There was no nuance to either character. It was just asshole a and asshole b. If it was between bad choices, maybe, but it was just between asshole choices. The moral schizophrenia annoyed me, because it seemed like there was never a calm, not immediately fucking over someone option to any scenario. And then when you DID find ways to do good or not be a dickweed, like in the arena, the game literally booed and hissed at you.

But we've kinda begun derailing the Persona thread, so I say if we wanna carry on with this, I'll gladly move to PMs.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
If you want, sure, but I think we pretty much agree with each other that IV is poorly written. :p There's a way to make a crapsack world or create grey on grey morality without forcing you to agree with either of 2 assholes, and IV does a poor job in giving you choices that doesn't make you agree overwhelmingly with one side or the other.

That said, still quite liked the game.

With that in mind, I should still say that Persona 2 is probably the weakest installment of the mainline games. If you had problems with other aspects of the game, you may not find the PS1 versions much better. I do however feel that Persona 2 gets an unfair rap because of that god-awful PSP port, and it does need to be stated that the original duology is not nearly as bad.

I've always had a soft spot in my heart for 2, especially EP. As much as I liked a lot of the QoL improvements of 3 and 4 I had more fun with the stories of 1 and 2. It helps that I played EP during a very "ENOUGH will all the teenagers in these games already!" phase of my gaming life.

In persona 4 golden, how do you tell what attack is the best to use for which enemy, and what persona is best for each boss? I always have to resort to google because I don't really know how to figure that out and there doesn't really seem to be anything indicating that, unless I'm missing something.

lewisgone

In persona 4 golden, how do you tell what attack is the best to use for which enemy, and what persona is best for each boss? I always have to resort to google because I don't really know how to figure that out and there doesn't really seem to be anything indicating that, unless I'm missing something.

I think you press L and then select an enemy, and then its weaknesses and strengths will be scanned after a turn and added to your records. After that's done you just press L and select an enemy any time you want to know what their weaknesses are, and you won't have a to wait a turn any more since they've been scanned previously.

I haven't played in a while though, so that may be wrong.

I think you press L and then select an enemy, and then its weaknesses and strengths will be scanned after a turn and added to your records. After that's done you just press L and select an enemy any time you want to know what their weaknesses are, and you won't have a to wait a turn any more since they've been scanned previously.

I haven't played in a while though, so that may be wrong.

That's similar to how it was in P3, but not how it works in P4.

In P4 you have to use an attack first to see what effect it has, then it will be forever stored in the Analyse section.

cj_iwakura

No kidding? Congratulations.

Well I've been a regular at the thread where the project originated, and I openly volunteered. The idea is to use the PS1 script as a foundation and edit it as needed(fixing the Lunarvaleisms and such). By and large, it's a great script, and only needs minor tweaking.

As for the new scenario, the existing script in the wild isn't bad either.

PK Gaming

I guess my EP obsession might be worth something after all, since the EP PSP team asked me to be an editor. :D

MayaISannoy.png

Jk. You'd better not let us down!

yuuki

trial and error to the boot. once you tried an element you can always recheck it via l.

So in P4G if there's only one day of rain I don't have to worry about fog right? Just two+? My forecast is rain, cloudy/sunny, sunny, cloud, cloud, rain/sun, cloud, cloud, should I be worried?

LX_Theo

Banned
So in P4G if there's only one day of rain I don't have to worry about fog right? Just two+? My forecast is rain, cloudy/sunny, sunny, cloud, cloud, rain/sun, cloud, cloud, should I be worried?

You should be fine. I forget if its two or three each time, but one offs never cause the fog.

Sophia

If you play through all of EP, you'll get the end twists of IS spoiled. But you won't miss too much, seeing as that's how we played it back in the day in English before the IS PS1 fan translation.

I first played EP without having gone through IS. The first couple hours are a little trippy since the callbacks are simply mystifying. I had a lot of fun with it and eventually things made sense.

cj_iwakura

Of all things, EP's instruction book spells out IS fairly well.

It still isn't half as good as playing it. There's a ton of NPCs who have twisted roles in EP, deliberately to mess with your expectations from how they were in IS.

FluxWaveZ

We might get an idea of Persona 5's release window with Sega Sammy's FY 2016 guidance on Monday.

Tomorrow's P4D update will be interesting. If it's Teddie's trailer, that's the last of them. If it's not, which is what I was guessing, I think it opens the possibility for a new character reveal soon (possibly on Tuesday).

Setsu00

We might get an idea of Persona 5's release window with Sega Sammy's FY 2016 guidance on Monday.

Tomorrow's P4D update will be interesting. If it's Teddie's trailer, that's the last of them. If it's not, which is what I was guessing, I think it opens the possibility for a new character reveal soon (possibly on Tuesday).

Is their a particular reason why you think that Teddie's trailer will be the last other than the fact that they skipped his trailer in favor of Naoto's and Nanako's?

FluxWaveZ

Is their a particular reason why you think that Teddie's trailer will be the last other than the fact that they skipped his trailer in favor of Naoto's and Nanako's?

I'm not sure what you mean. Out of the revealed characters for P4D, everyone has had their trailers except for Teddie. Teddie would be the last trailer left out of those characters.

If we do get Teddie this week, and I don't really see why we wouldn't, next week will be interesting. Even if we do get a new charecter reveal, there's normally a week lag between the Famitsu reveal and the trailer, so presumably it will be something else. I can't see them skipping a week entirely since they never did for Q or Ultimax.

I assume they'll start showing off a few of the remixes if nothing else happens, although it's long enough until release that I'm sure there's some other unrevealed stuff left.

FluxWaveZ

If we do get Teddie this week, and I don't really see why we wouldn't, next week will be interesting.

Yeah, that's what I mean by tomorrow's update being interesting regardless of what happens. My theory is that, to prevent there from being an occasion where there are no more character trailers left for future rotation until the game gets closer to release, tomorrow's update would be something else. Then there would be a character reveal on Tuesday, Teddie's trailer next Friday and the newest character's trailer on the subsequent Friday (on May 22).

The tracksuits are boring.

They still need to reveal the Premium Crazy Box, although the other box arts were shown off on Wednesdays, so I doubt that will take a Friday update.

With all the hints, I was kind of expecting an Atlus USA trailer this week or next week too.

Dantis

The tracksuits are boring.

They still need to reveal the Premium Crazy Box, although the other box arts were shown off on Wednesdays, so I doubt that will take a Friday update.

With all the hints, I was kind of expecting an Atlus USA trailer this week or next week too.

I hope the Premium Crazy Box cover is as good as the Crazy Value Pack cover. It's the best cover art Soejima has done in years (Probably since FES Append?).

In P4G is level 25 for everyone in the party good enough to have a fairly easy time with shadow kanji? I'm also using a level 26 Rakshasa

In P4G is level 25 for everyone in the party good enough to have a fairly easy time with shadow kanji? I'm also using a level 26 Rakshasa

Yeah 25 is fine, a good method to go about levelling for bosses is;

Last joined party member's initial level + 10

Do that and you'll never be underlevelled for anything.

Yeah 25 is fine, a good method to go about levelling for bosses is;

Last joined party member's initial level + 10

Do that and you'll never be underlevelled for anything.

Thanks, that'll save me from having to ask the internet before running head first into a boss from here on out haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom