• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FluxWaveZ

Didn't Nich Maragos or someone else say that Q was their biggest voice project yet?

That might have been the case; I do remember a lot of talk from atlusprime about how big Persona Q was. I got confused for a sec, because Aram Jabbari had stated in 2012 that Persona 4 Arena was Atlus USA's biggest localization project yet, which is similar.

He did say that Q was their biggest project in a podcast interview, don't think it was specifically related to voices though. But he also said that every new game feels like their biggest project.

I wouldn't be surprised if Record Breaker broke the "most vo in an Atlus game" record too.

Also, a couple things to consider in regards to Ultimax vs PQ localisation, is that Ultimax would have been pushed to be released close to the JP release due to the competitive nature of the game. It would be unfair for JP players to have a few months advantage over people in other regions who didnt import. (Not including arcades in this theory)

Also likely that they put Ultimax as priority over Persona Q due to imports of PQ being less likely due to region locking.

Also, with PQ being more story heavy as opposed to Ultimax which is more gameplay focused, I'm glad they spent the extra time getting it just right as opposed to rushing it out.

I wouldn't mind seeing a similar cycle with DAN/5, get the fun, gameplay based game out quickly and take as long as they need to with 5 to make sure it's perfect.

Also, a couple things to consider in regards to Ultimax vs PQ localisation, is that Ultimax would have been pushed to be released close to the JP release due to the competitive nature of the game. It would be unfair for JP players to have a few months advantage over people in other regions who didnt import. (Not including arcades in this theory)

Also likely that they put Ultimax as priority over Persona Q due to imports of PQ being less likely due to region locking.

Also, with PQ being more story heavy as opposed to Ultimax which is more gameplay focused, I'm glad they spent the extra time getting it just right as opposed to rushing it out.

I wouldn't mind seeing a similar cycle with DAN/5, get the fun, gameplay based game out quickly and take as long as they need to with 5 to make sure it's perfect.

Didn't they also need the English vo for the Japanese release of Ultimax too? That's probably the main reason for the close release.

Sophia

Didn't they also need the English vo for the Japanese release of Ultimax too? That's probably the main reason for the close release.

Yup, very likely. Due to the way online appears to work in Arena/Ultimax (you hear your opponent's character in whatever language they're in, regardless of what you have set) it was likely a requirement for the VA to be done to some degree before it could release in Japan.

cj_iwakura

Sorry to venture outside of Persona, guys.
But I've given up on DDS and decided to go straight to Nocturne. Any suggestions for a first-timer?

You can always ask the SMT community thread.

That said, never get rid of Focus and don't neglect magic. Having no magic is suicide in the final dungeon.

Sorry to venture outside of Persona, guys.
But I've given up on DDS and decided to go straight to Nocturne. Any suggestions for a first-timer?

If you played DDS a bit, I guess you know how the press turn system works, and that you can stack buffs/debuffs (in this game you can stack up to 4 times though). Make sure to take advantage of both as much as possible.

One difference is that in this game there are Magatama, the only thing that you can equip (no armor, weapons, or accessories). In addition to boosting stats and providing weaknesses/resistances, they also teach you moves at certain levels if equipped. Some teach you really good/unique moves (I recall one taught you the move to hit random enemies with heavy force damage below level 20). I personally looked up where to get the various Magatama and what moves they taught at what levels.

Like in DDS, you choose what stat to increase when you level up. I found that physical attacks get a lot better in the mid-endgame, but at the beginning I don't recall access to many good physical attacks. I found magic a bit more useful than physical attacks for the earlier parts of the game, but not becoming as powerful by endgame.

I happened to look up a bunch of things, but I don't think it's required (it can make things like puzzles a bit less annoying, and I was going for the most OP stuff for the True Demon Ending).

Also don't get discouraged if you get rekt by Matador or Mot. I think that happens to a lot of people.

Thanks.
Though I know enough to not get the TDE.
Interesting how the worst ending from SMT4 is also considered the "best" ending in Nocturne simply because it takes the most effort to achieve...

Yeah, I just went for it since it was the longest. The time I wasted doing things like grinding or fusing really good demons was probably not worth it.
TBH I thought the 'neutral' ending was the best out of all of the endings

If you play through the game on normal difficulty without any restrictions you should be mostly fine, but I saw someone using this tactic to beat bosses at quite low levels and thought I should mention it. It won't work against the final boss, but otherwise it should be ok, should you use it.

There are moon phases in the game, which affect things like abilities, how demons react during conversations, etc. One such ability is Dark Might (as well as Bright Might). The idea behind these is that at a certain moon phase, normal attacks will be a guaranteed crit. So, you can fuse it onto your demons (main character will not learn the skill) and then walk around until it is the correct phase, then fight the boss. This makes a lot of bosses much easier due to the extra free damage off of the crits at the cost of only half a press turn, and you get it pretty early from Jack Frost at level 7.

Necrovex

It only took me two years and leaving the northern hemisphere, but I finally completed my girl play through of Persona 3 Portable. I can finally justify playing Persona Q! And to allow me to come back to this community thread now that I washed the shame away.

Though I wonder if I should take a break from the Persona franchise and finally play Devil Survivor Overclocked, and SMT IV. What do y'all think?

Also, was Persona Arena ever made for any portables like the Blazblue series?

CorvoSol

It only took me two years and leaving the northern hemisphere, but I finally completed my girl play through of Persona 3 Portable. I can finally justify playing Persona Q! And to allow me to come back to this community thread now that I washed the shame away.

Though I wonder if I should take a break from the Persona franchise and finally play Devil Survivor Overclocked, and SMT IV. What do y'all think?

I think that Persona Q is an infinitely better game from every angle than the laughable pile of straw that was SMT IV.

I'm glad this is finally getting somewhere, I've been putting off finishing Innocent Sin since I didn't want to play the PS1 version of Eternal Punishment

Eternal Punishment PSX plays a lot better than Innocent Sin PSP, though.

what!? Persona Q was awful and SMTIV is fantastic

world map in SMTIV is indeed awful though

SMT IV is fantastic, but PQ is just as good of a game.

They both have their pros and cons.

DeSu:Oc is alright, but it's the weakest SMT game I've played so far, to the point of I never actually finished it because I stopped caring.

And no, the fighting games havent had any portable versions.............yet.
Still praying for that Ultimax vita/PS4 port when 2.0 hits

Necrovex

Guess I'll continue to stare at my 3DS until my indecisiveness stops being a factor and I impulse grab a title. I want to finish my two ongoing books first so I have time to reach a decision (and hope more people will voice their opinions!).

Also here's hoping for a future Vita port for Ultimax. The pains of only having handhelds (I'll die when P5 comes out).

SMT IV is fantastic, but PQ is just as good of a game.

They both have their pros and cons.

DeSu:Oc is alright, but it's the weakest SMT game I've played so far, to the point of I never actually finished it because I stopped caring.

And no, the fighting games havent had any portable versions.............yet.
Still praying for that Ultimax vita/PS4 port when 2.0 hits

SMT IV and PQ are both great, but DeSu O is the best SMT game.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I will fight you gamingbird. :p

I thank PQ for actually introducing dungeon crawling gameplay that matters into the persons series. It doesn't reach the highs of etrian odyssey though.

You guys really need to fix up your terminology because I'm constantly confused as to whether you guys are taking about devil survivor or devil summoner.

I will fight you gamingbird. :p

I thank PQ for actually introducing dungeon crawling gameplay that matters into the persons series. It doesn't reach the highs of etrian odyssey though.

You guys really need to fix up your terminology because I'm constantly confused as to whether you guys are taking about devil survivor or devil summoner.

DeSu is normally Survivor.

The one that annoys me the most is if Devil Summoner 2 is talking about Raidou 2 or Soul Hackers.

That and P4U/P4AU

CorvoSol

what!? Persona Q was awful and SMTIV is fantastic

world map in SMTIV is indeed awful though

How to write a character for SMTIV

"BLAH I THINK THAT ORDER SUCKS BECAUSE IT OPPRESSES LOOK AT WHAT A HYPOCRITE I AM."

"GRAH MY AFRO THINKS YOU ARE A DEVIL AND THAT'S BAD."

"LISTEN TO MY ASCOT SCREEEEEEECH. CAN I BE ANY MORE OF A RICH BASTARD?"

"guys i like popular manga"

"BEHOLD MY INCREDIBLE DESIGN IT'S TOO BAD I DIE IN MY NEXT SCENE."

"HELLO I AM AN ENGAGING CHARACTER WHO NEVER GETS HER OWN CHARACTER ART."

Haha… please be forgiving… just a bird chirping here

Ok what really turned me off is the difficulty + realizing my mistakes to trusting auto mapping until its too late.

Game was hard even on the easiest difficulty for me. I like to feel OP in my games. And I learned to never rely on auto-map. This is the biggest turn off as I realized way too late.

I went P4MC first and planned P3MC second but lol the events are locked to event tiles. I didn't mark the tiles. So if I NG+ I'm going to have to explore the event tiles again just to see convos.

Finally, PQ's story convos are plentiful but most of them are forgettable. P4G's story and convos etched an impression on me.

P4G had tons of dialogue. PQ had tons of useless, forgettable, and really just pointless dialogue. I would ask myself, what did I learn about the characters or what events were impressed on me after a chapter? And the answer has been almost always nOTHinG

Antiwhippy

Haha… please be forgiving… just a bird chirping here

Ok what really turned me off is the difficulty + realizing my mistakes to trusting auto mapping until its too late.

Game was hard even on the easiest difficulty for me. I like to feel OP in my games. And I learned to never rely on auto-map. This is the biggest turn off as I realized way too late.

I went P4MC first and planned P3MC second but lol the events are locked to event tiles. I didn't mark the tiles. So if I NG+ I'm going to have to explore the event tiles again just to see convos.

Finally, PQ's story convos are plentiful but most of them are forgettable. P4G's story and convos etched an impression on me.

P4G had tons of dialogue. PQ had tons of useless, forgettable, and really just pointless dialogue. I would ask myself, what did I learn about the characters or what events were impressed on me after a chapter? And the answer has been almost always nOTHinG

I mean it's a fanservice game. It's obviously not going to be as deep utilising character and plot as the main games, but I thought it was done well enough.

But yeah if what you want is just the story and character events PQ is definitely inferior to the main games.

Also it is so easy to be OP in this game. Naoto + panic + skill cards means that regular mobs aren't even an obstacle. I think the game is pretty damn good at using the dungeon to create puzzles though, and the FOEs are hard enough to be fun. You do get ridiculously OP at some point that the FOEs or the final boss aren't even that much of a problem.

Weiss

Banned

"BLAH I THINK THAT ORDER SUCKS BECAUSE IT OPPRESSES LOOK AT WHAT A HYPOCRITE I AM."

Is it sad that I immediately knew each character you're talking about?

Antiwhippy

To be fair it's more like "I like popular manga and oh god I can't decide on anything so I'm just going to bow out of the scene for awhile."

What.

Why.

What is wrong with you.

Got to the final boss. Got instantly killed just when I started to have a foothold.
Tried to go back to get a few more levels in, gave up with how long it was taking. Too weak even for the local mobs, and the maze was too much of a pain to do over again if I left.

CorvoSol

In what way? I'm not sure on the details of the PSP remakes, I just assumed they'd be better. I played the PSP version of Persona 1 also.

PSX EP doesn't have PSP IS's horrible encounter rate, for one. The battle system is also sort of different. In EP you set up gambits and let them play out, monitoring battles to make adjustments as necessary. In IS PSP you must pass through a hundred billion menus just to set up your turn, and if you don't manually disable like, half the things in battle combat turns take forever. While ISP has an advantage in that it informs you whose turn will occur when, a minimap for some navigational ish, and bonus content, EPX's smoother running battles, fewer encounters, and overall playstyle just left it feeling less tedious to me.

IS PSP has better cosmetics, of course. ISP's voice actors are much, much better than EPX's, for instance.

Is it sad that I immediately knew each character you're talking about?

Not when those are the only real character traits any of those cardboard cut outs have. SMTIV is a game where I was more invested in side characters with no faces than I ever was the cast.

"OH YOU DIDN'T IMMEDIATELY KILL SOMEONE YOU LOVE? I WILL HATE YOU NOW BECAUSE ROUTE POINT SYSTEM"

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I loved SMT IV, but the plot is practically non-existant.

Also, I pretty much have Jonathan's haircut.

Not when those are the only real character traits any of those cardboard cut outs have. SMTIV is a game where I was more invested in side characters with no faces than I ever was the cast.

"OH YOU DIDN'T IMMEDIATELY KILL SOMEONE YOU LOVE? I WILL HATE YOU NOW BECAUSE ROUTE POINT SYSTEM"

I don't remember that one.
Also, I feel the characters don't get enough credit. It's easy enough to paint someone as a caricature with capslock.
Also, the White dictate who you work with after the alignment lock. Everyone seems to get along reasonably well before Lilith, regardless of alignment points.

Sophia

PSX EP doesn't have PSP IS's horrible encounter rate, for one. The battle system is also sort of different. In EP you set up gambits and let them play out, monitoring battles to make adjustments as necessary. In IS PSP you must pass through a hundred billion menus just to set up your turn, and if you don't manually disable like, half the things in battle combat turns take forever. While ISP has an advantage in that it informs you whose turn will occur when, a minimap for some navigational ish, and bonus content, EPX's smoother running battles, fewer encounters, and overall playstyle just left it feeling less tedious to me.

IS PSP has better cosmetics, of course. ISP's voice actors are much, much better than EPX's, for instance.

Basically, what Corvo here is trying to say is: The PSP version of Innocent Sins sucks and in no way should the original PS1 duology be judged off the failures of the port.

Necrovex

Basically, what Corvo here is trying to say is: The PSP version of Innocent Sins sucks and in no way should the original PS1 duology be judged off the failures of the port.

Maybe I should give EP a shot then, since I hated IS for the reasons Corvo listed about the pacing.

Maybe I should play DeSu, people aren't having wars over that game,

Antiwhippy

Ah, so me finding IS psp insufferable to play through was more about the port quality?

PK Gaming

hahaha

I love SMTIV but this is way too accurate

Eternal Punishment PSP fan translation running in-game.

First time with in-game text, I think. MUCH better font than Atlus USA's.

Wow. Supposedly they fixed a couple of annoying quirks and upped the tarot cards via contact, which automatically makes it 10X better than the PS1 port. I really hope this takes off, because I'm really looking forward to playing that version of the game (I've said this before, but P2EP has the best story/characters)

Sophia

Ah, so me finding IS psp insufferable to play through was more about the port quality?

Yeah, the PSP version increased the encounter rate, reworked the UI, and significantly lowered the difficulty. The last one is particularly bad because Innocent Sin, outside of it's brutal final boss, is not a terribly hard game to begin with. If your main issue was with any of those three things, you'll probably find Eternal Punishment PSX to be a much better game.

With that in mind, I should still say that Persona 2 is probably the weakest installment of the mainline games. If you had problems with other aspects of the game, you may not find the PS1 versions much better. I do however feel that Persona 2 gets an unfair rap because of that god-awful PSP port, and it does need to be stated that the original duology is not nearly as bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom