• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Well after using my sudden Time Powers, I finally defeated the true final boss and beat Persona 4. And it only took me more than half a year and 78 hours.

P5 can't be here any sooner.

Time Powers Activate! Fast Forward to P5 release date!

...God damn Time Powers.

Marche90

So I listened to that podcast and kinda preordered Devil Survivor 2 Record Breaker. Atlus PR putting in work.

Good thing I don't have a 3DS atm, otherwise I would have done the same!

I'm still getting Hatsune Miku Project Mirai on day 1, with or without a 3DS

Dantis

So I listened to that podcast and kinda preordered Devil Survivor 2 Record Breaker. Atlus PR putting in work.
I went to preorder and then realised that with shipping included it would cost me the same as a brand new game, which is madness.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Argh, I dunno if I want to go through persona 2 anymore. I just find the battle system really boring, and lacking in difficulty even compared to P3/4 which is made even more frustrating because I can't avoid random encounters. So I just have to go through a lot of easy ass battles when I'd rather just run through the dungeon.

Don't like he whole negotiation system, which I usually don't mind in SMT but following the guide makes it inconsequential to the point of frustration at it even being there, and without a guide it just feels esoteric. Even the stuff you do in negotiations seems so dumb that it takes me out of it instead of being goofy fun.

Not really a negative, but I don't really like the card based summoning system either.

Also man it's just rough to look at.

Argh, I dunno if I want to go through persona 2 anymore. I just find the battle system really boring, and lacking in difficulty even compared to P3/4 which is made even more frustrating because I can't avoid random encounters. So I just have to go through a lot of easy ass battles when I'd rather just run through the dungeon.

Don't like he whole negotiation system, which I usually don't mind in SMT but following the guide makes it inconsequential to the point of frustration at it even being there, and without a guide it just feels esoteric. Even the stuff you do in negotiations seems so dumb that it takes me out of it instead of being goofy fun.

Not really a negative, but I don't really like the card based summoning system either.

Also man it's just rough to look at.

I actually appreciated the battle system being mind numbingly easy in Innocent Sin, it meant I could half pay attention when exploring the dungeons which made it really easy to just focus on the stuff that I really liked in the game (Characters, Story).

squadr0n

That's a pretty good theory, that along with this pic

Makes me think that you have to basically steal people's hearts out of the place that is holding them down.

The only flaws in that theory is that it seems to nice, like would these characters do this out of kindness? The other thing that makes me wonder is the seven deadly sins thing and how it would relate to this.

The pics we've seen in the dungeons make it look like there will be some sort of stealth mechanic which would back up the theif stealing the hearts in these dungeons. Almost every pic shown has the MC peaking around something to see a patrolling monster.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I actually appreciated the battle system being mind numbingly easy in Innocent Sin, it meant I could half pay attention when exploring the dungeons which made it really easy to just focus on the stuff that I really liked in the game (Characters, Story).

Thing is that you can't avoid battles seeing that it uses random encounters.

Thing is that you can't avoid battles seeing that it uses random encounters.

True, and frequent ones at that. I think I ended up just bumping the difficulty down at a certain point as the gameplay was feeling like more of a barrier to me enjoying the rest of the game, after doing that I could actually just use rush on the majority of the random encounters which made them less tedious.

FluxWaveZ

He said that they have 14 games for this year in the cast, so still more unannounced things to come?

I need to listen to it, but did he say games in total or just localized titles? If it's just localization it's 10 so far, but if it's total published, I think the count goes up to 11. I suppose that would mean 3 more unannounced? 2 if the Langrisser speculation proves true.

I need to listen to it, but did he say games in total or just localized titles? If it's just localization it's 10 so far, but if it's total published, I think the count goes up to 11. I suppose that would mean 3 more unannounced? 2 if the Langrisser speculation proves true.

I think it was total published, but he wasn't completely sure of the number. I thought that the other game he was talking about was just Stella Glow though, not Langrisser.

FluxWaveZ

I think it was total published, but he wasn't completely sure of the number. I thought that the other game he was talking about was just Stella Glow though, not Langrisser.

Yeah, the two games being confused were most likely Stella Glow and Legend of Legacy. I do think Langrisser looks like something Atlus could end up localizing, though. If not that, there're still 3 unknown titles, at least if he got the number right.

cj_iwakura

That being our first Langrisser would be like if Aigis The First Mission had been our first Persona.

Andrefpvs

What was Hardin thinking, sending Walcott on that early?!

C7Ip9Kv.gif

The thing about Atlus is they always try to walk it in.

200_s.gif

aravuus

Hey ya'll, Persona 4 Golden question time: is it possible to max out all social links, finish all optional content (at least, any major stuff, maybe I don't have to do every single request or whatever) and do all the new Golden stuff in one playthrough? Maybe on very easy, I could dungeons on the first run so I'd have more time to level up my social stuff?

I'm getting the game soon and since I've already finished it a bunch of times on PS2, I was thinking of going with very easy difficulty for a stress-free, empowering experience where I'll stomp the fucking shit out of every boss that has ever given me trouble before.

Hey ya'll, Persona 4 Golden question time: is it possible to max out all social links, finish all optional content (at least, any major stuff, maybe I don't have to do every single request or whatever) and do all the new Golden stuff in one playthrough? Maybe on very easy, I could dungeons on the first run so I'd have more time to level up my social stuff?

I'm getting the game soon and since I've already finished it a bunch of times on PS2, I was thinking of going with very easy difficulty for a stress-free, empowering experience where I'll stomp the fucking shit out of every boss that has ever given me trouble before.

There's entire guides centred around getting all the S-links done. And since the requests don't take up a day's time to do on their own, you should be fine.
Also, go on very easy at your own dignity's expense. Just regular easy is a cakewalk.

The only NG+ exclusive thing is the
Margaret
boss fight. Thats it though as far as I know.

aravuus

There's entire guides centred around getting all the S-links done. And since the requests don't take up a day's time to do on their own, you should be fine.
Also, go on very easy at your own dignity's expense. Just regular easy is a cakewalk.

I'm sure my dignity will survive playing a videogame on very easy intact lol

But yeah alright, thanks, I'll check out some guides!

The only NG+ exclusive thing is the
Margaret
boss fight. Thats it though as far as I know.

Great, I don't think I'd have the time to play it through again anyway. I'll remember to keep the clear save around though, if I ever want to try that boss.

Heavenly_Spear

Neo Member
So I started reading that Persona 1 manga...and it's actually really good? Like it's a lot better than it has any reason to be, for an adaptation of a old game. It does a MUCH better job at fleshing out the characters than the original game did. Especially Nanjo. ESPECIALLY him.

So how are the other Persona manga? I tried reading the P3 one but it seems really disjointed and all over the place. I expected it to just follow the game's story in order but it...didn't. From what I remember, it was confusing as fuck.

Mr_Joe

So how are the other Persona manga? I tried reading the P3 one but it seems really disjointed and all over the place. I expected it to just follow the game's story in order but it...didn't. From what I remember, it was confusing as fuck.

I liked the P4A manga, though I haven't played the game yet. The art is surprisingly good.

Also, I guess this is my first time posting here? Heeeeeeey guuuuuuys

Sophia

So I started reading that Persona 1 manga...and it's actually really good? Like it's a lot better than it has any reason to be, for an adaptation of a old game. It does a MUCH better job at fleshing out the characters than the original game did. Especially Nanjo. ESPECIALLY him.

According to the interview that Pepsiman and co. translated, the Persona 1 manga is so good even the creators of the game liked it.

The P3 and P4 mangas are pretty good too, but the P3 manga has the unfortunate effect of jumping around instead of going in a chronological order. The upside to this is that the author can do more story wise (the entire first half of The Answer has been incorporated into the manga adaptation among other things), but the downside to this is it's a bit harder to follow.

Heavenly_Spear

Neo Member
I liked the P4A manga, though I haven't played the game yet. The art is surprisingly good.

Mm, yeah I've been thinking of reading the P4A, but I hear it's basically The Adventures of Yosuke, which isn't a problem per say, but it's suppose to be most Labrys's story, to me anyway.
I'm hoping the P4U Manga does a better job at fleshing out Edgemaster Sho
even tho i love his messy self anyway OTL
Welcome! *o*/
According to the interview that Pepsiman and co. translated, the Persona 1 manga is so good even the creators of the game liked it.

The P3 and P4 mangas are pretty good too, but the P3 manga has the unfortunate effect of jumping around instead of going in a chronological order. The upside to this is that the author can do more story wise (the entire first half of The Answer has been incorporated into the manga adaptation), but the downside to this is it's a bit harder to follow.

Ah, really? Nice, cause it really is a very good adaptation, heck it'd be good as it's own thing if it weren't connected to the games.

Yeah, it's that jumping around that turned me off the p3 manga. :( Oh well, the movies have been really fucking good so far. Which reminds me, I think I started watching the second one but never finished...oops.

arue

So I drew a new drawing, but it has Persona 3 spoilers:
I remember reading the first few chapters of the P2 manga. It's a spin off manga, so I gave up reading it when I found out that it wasn't about the game. I also read the P1 manga, and just like you said, it's really really good. It actually pushed me to play the game.

Welcome!

CorvoSol

Persona 1 Manga is almost the best way to experience Persona 1. There are some things the game has going for it that the Manga doesn't, especially the ending, but for the most part the manga adds a ridiculous amount of good stuff. Nanjo and Elly, already the best P1 characters, are way improved by their roles in the Manga. Naoya's character works pretty well, and the fan service episode actually goes against some normal stuff in Persona.

I really enjoyed that Manga.

If anything drops on 5/5/15, my guess would be a teaser of what's going to be in the P4DAN Bluray.

Though personally, I don't think we'll see anything.

IF I HAVE ZERO EXPECTATIONS, I WILL NEVER BE DISAPPOINTED!

So, thanks to the TGS and PSL2015 trailer, as well as the screenshots, I was able to piece together the prologue of Persona 5. Please read this carefully. I will be posting this in a sequentiual order, with the necessary screenshots required to explain this more.

Let's begin with this.

The protagonist boards the train to Shibuya on April 7th. Some other students are also about to board. What's important here, however, is the date. April 7th is the date on the calendar in this screenshot. In Japan, the school year begins on April 1st, unless April 1st falls on a Friday. If it falls on a Friday, it starts on April 7th. In the 2016 calendar, April 1st falls on a Friday. So, this would mark the first day of school for students in Japan, including spring transfer students. Remember the description of the protagonist on the website for the game? "The main character is a student who transferred in the spring." So from this, it is safe to assume this screenshot is from the very beginning of the game.

So, what happens next? I believe the TGS trailer are snippets of the cutscene sequence of the events that transpire after boarding the train.

The train sequence in the TGS trailer is most likely from a cutscene that occurs after you board the train, and the following sequences that occur in the TGS trailer are most likely what follows. The main character gets a glimpse of Arsène as he departs from the train and enters the city of Shibuya, and it's from there that events start to take place. This would also make the fact that he is able to fight on April 11th make sense. I say he awakens to his Persona within the first two days of the game. It's safe to assume this cutscene is part of the prologue after he boards the train.

Now, let's put this into a sequence:

So, after he boards, he sees a strange vision, and time freezes for him as he exits the train, where he first gets a glimpse of his Persona, Arsène. After it all happens and he sees the blue flames, he continues on his way.

The tiling on the dungeon itself and where the protagonist awakens to his Persona is the same. So, following the first day of school, he meets Anne, Ryuji, and eventually Morgana. Then, the "major occurrence" happens, and later, he awakens to his Persona at the first dungeon, where you see that scene from the end of PV#01. So, from here, we can assume he awakens to his Persona on either April 8th, April 9th, or April 10th.

I'd say April 9th is the safest assumption. I've pieced this all together by reading the Famitsu and Dengeki PlayStation interview, watching the trailers, and looking at the screenshots and analyzing them. Even though we don't see the protagonist meet the cast, we know that it must happen throughout the next day or so, which is why I am saying that. I'm pretty much piecing this together in a sequential order.

This is a theory, but so far, it makes sense and is in line with the ways P3 and P4 began, where the protagonist saw something strange, got settled, met his friends, then a day or two later awoke to his Persona at the first dungeon.

Here's an easier to follow sequence:

On April 7th, 2016, the protagonist boards the train to Shibuya. After getting on the train, he senses a weird presence. Once he arrives in Shibuya, he feels time start to freeze and sees what would later become his Persona, Arsène. He arrives at school later this day. Throughout the next few days, he meets who would become his friends throughout the "major occurrence" Anne, Ryuji, and Morgana. (How he meets Morgana most likely ties into the first dungeon) Once he arrives at the first dungeon, he awakens to his Persona, most likely due to enemies starting to attack, which triggers the awakening.

And that's pretty much it. I like how ATLUS pretty much put the prologue out there if you piece it together. Subtly, the trailers tied into each other, as well as the screenshots. Very clever of ATLUS.

I took some time analyzing everything and writing it up, so I hope this is something people enjoy. As always, the detective is on the case!

EDIT: Removed screenshots.

Do you guys think the P4Dan bluerayp5 trailer will be substantial > 5minutes?

Will the trailer show any additional unrevealed characters? You guys think this is going to happen or not?

Is blueray region locked so uh if I preorder it I need a JPN region blueray drive?

Nice write-up! Back when they released the TGS trailer it seemed clear that it was the intro of the game and the last trailer definitely felt like a follow up to that, so it's nice to have a possible timeline. I wonder if the other party members will be aware of their Persona before the Protagonist arrived or if they become aware of it due to the protag.

I'm also really interested to see how the Personas will work in P5. Personas have always given their users strength, but based on what's been shown P5 seems to be taking this a step further by allowing the protagonist to do things a regular human would not be able to do.

Will the trailer show any additional unrevealed characters? You guys think this is going to happen or not?

Is blueray region locked so uh if I preorder it I need a JPN region blueray drive?
blu ray's are region locked, though unlike DVDs im pretty sure Japan is the same region as NA for blu-rays. I would look that up to be sure before taking my word for it

kiyoaki

On April 7th, 2016, the protagonist boards the train to Shibuya. After getting on the train, he senses a weird presence. Once he arrives in Shibuya, he feels time start to freeze and sees what would later become his Persona, Arsène. He arrives at school later this day. Throughout the next few days, he meets who would become his friends throughout the "major occurrence" Anne, Ryuji, and Morgana. (How he meets Morgana most likely ties into the first dungeon) Once he arrives at the first dungeon, he awakens to his Persona, most likely due to enemies starting to attack, which triggers the awakening.

Sounds plausible, not least because it wouldn't be much of a departure from the beginnings of the P3 & P4 storylines.

Speculating about the story is fun, but I think what I want to know most about P5 right now is the damn release date. Just maybe we'll get that on 5/5 and then the big information rollout with the P4DAN BD.
One can always hope

I'm actually not expecting much from that one. I just doubt that Atlus will place any major information of their most anticipated title (ever?) behind a $50 paywall. But who knows, time will tell.

I'm actually not expecting much from that one. I just doubt that Atlus will place any major information of their most anticipated title (ever?) behind a $50 paywall. But who knows, time will tell.

Pfft. Chances are a rip of whatever's in there will be out in the internet within 24 hours of the game being available.

FluxWaveZ

I wish Atlus weren't so quiet about P5. I don't get why they're barely saying anything about it.

Maybe because it's their biggest game ever in a lot of ways, and they know it's probably their most anticipated ever too. Then that's combined with how we know they've publicized their games in the past. For example, we had gone a long time before actually hearing much about Persona 4: Dancing All Night, but we've seen more of the game since the media cycle started in February.

Aside from the fact that I'd personally rather not see anything more about the game other than a release date, it's good that they will only show much more once a release date approaches, instead of showing too much of the game before its release. The latter strategy is used sometimes, which really dampens a game's hype once its release is actually in sight.

aravuus

I wish Atlus weren't so quiet about P5. I don't get why they're barely saying anything about it.

I'm fine with this. I know I'm getting it in something like 6 to 12 months and that's all I need to know. If they released a lot of videos and info I know I couldn't resist checking them out, and I'd rather know very little about the game beforehand.

I love it, it's incredibly refreshing to see very little information out there for P5, even the stuff that is out there has been pretty vague. I'm sure the Blu Ray will contain a decent amount of new footage but I'm hoping that after that Atlus goes back to being relatively silent.

I dunno, maybe I'm an odd exception but I just can't bring myself to care about a games pre release media cycle, especially if it's a game like P5.

Shengar

If anything, too much publishers spout everything about their unreleased games, creating unnecessary backlash. The Witcher 3 is a good example of why you shouldn't share too much information on your unreleased game.

I'm sure once they start marketing it we'll see as much of Persona 5 as we have of all of Atlus' other recent titles, I'd be surprised if we don't start to get weekly updates at some point. Despite the weekly trailers, I thought they did a good job with Q and Ultimax, with regards to not spoiling too much, so I'm sure it will be handled well enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom