• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
which games are you talking about.

All the recent Atlus developed games have a fairly large delay: Record Breaker (5 months), Etrian Mystery Dungeon (6 months) and Etrian Untold 2 (6 months), at least going by placeholders, with are normally accurate within about a month.

Persona Q was good, and Ultimax's delay wasn't awful, but they're still pretty inconsistent with EU releases.

yuuki

All the recent Atlus developed games have a fairly large delay: Record Breaker (5 months), Etrian Mystery Dungeon (6 months) and Etrian Untold 2 (6 months), at least going by placeholders, with are normally accurate within about a month.

Persona Q was good, and Ultimax's delay wasn't awful, but they're still pretty inconsistent with EU releases.

well you could say etrian and to an degree record breaker arent nercerily big titles for atlus.

Yeah those were the games I was thinking of. As you pointed out, there have been improvements but there's clearly still room for improvement.

yuuki

and yet Lost Dimension and [Game which must not be mentioned] are even smaller and are releasing within a week of their NA dates.
IF i had to guess the other games didnt sell eenough in europe for nisas taste or nisa themself was out of workpower due their own games.

Olengie

Not to worried about spoilers unless I actually look for it. I don't use Twitch as much as I used to unless its for Fighting Games or for Speedruns. Even then, it's on mobile, so I don't even see the comments.

LWyWdxU.png

There's something about lines like this in Atlus Faithful emails that make me suspicious.

Something happening on the 19th of May?

FluxWaveZ

LWyWdxU.png

There's something about lines like this in Atlus Faithful emails that make me suspicious.

Something happening on the 19th of May?

Pretty sure it's just a joke referring to the wording of "dates." As in: "ATLUS Guarantees 519 Dates [with lecherous young anime girls] for People Who Pre-order Dungeon Travelers 2‏." It's simply a double entendre, silly joke callback to the title of the Atlus Faithful email.

Pretty sure it's just a joke referring to the wording of "dates." As in: "ATLUS Guarantees 519 Dates [with lecherous young anime girls] for People Who Pre-order Dungeon Travelers 2‏." It's simply a double entendre, silly joke callback to the title of the Atlus Faithful email.

Or it could be a triple entendre. I feel like we should be getting Dancing news soon, and they do normally tease that sort of thing a few days in advance.

Although it is a bit subtle by John's standards, considering how he teased Break Record, so you're probably right.

If I had to speculate, we can probably narrow down the amount of dates that the game could be released on.

Persona 5 is actually turning out to be one of the big exclusives (Pre-E3 announcements) that Sony has for the holiday. So I can imagine they will want to try to push Atlus to get the game out before Black Friday, so there goes December. They will also want to avoid the big perennial game release weeks for Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty, which are usually the last couple of weeks of October and the first couple of weeks of November.

If I had to guess for a North American release date at this point, I would put it on Thanksgiving week like Persona Q last year. That would be Tuesday, November 24th. I imagine we will get a hard date at the Sony E3 conference.

DNAbro

Or it could be a triple entendre. I feel like we should be getting Dancing news soon, and they do normally tease that sort of thing a few days in advance.

Although it is a bit subtle by John's standards, considering how he teased Break Record, so you're probably right.

I feel like we won't hear about Dancing until E3. It will probably be one of there main focuses at their booth.

FluxWaveZ

If I had to guess for a North American release date at this point, I would put it on Thanksgiving week like Persona Q last year. That would be Tuesday, November 24th. I imagine we will get a hard date at the Sony E3 conference.

Your Black Friday point makes sense and Persona has most likely reached a point where it can't just slip into December again with Persona 5. I don't know about the rest, though, but it would at least narrow it down to October and November. Still, this is operating under the assumption that the game is indeed releasing in 2015, in North America.

We might hear a bit more about this in a couple of hours. Maybe.

I feel like we won't hear about Dancing until E3. It will probably be one of there main focuses at their booth.

Like P4AU, I think we'll see some pre-E3 P4D media before its formal appearance at E3. It's been said that the game would start to be shown "soon" since mid-March; I think early June is likely.

DNAbro

Your Black Friday point makes sense and Persona has most likely reached a point where it can't just slip into December again with Persona 5. I don't know about the rest, though, but it would at least narrow it down to October and November. Still, this is operating under the assumption that the game is indeed releasing in 2015, in North America.

We might hear a bit more about this in a couple of hours. Maybe.

couple of hours?

Heavenly_Spear

Neo Member
If I had to speculate, we can probably narrow down the amount of dates that the game could be released on.

Persona 5 is actually turning out to be one of the big exclusives (Pre-E3 announcements) that Sony has for the holiday. So I can imagine they will want to try to push Atlus to get the game out before Black Friday, so there goes December. They will also want to avoid the big perennial game release weeks for Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty, which are usually the last couple of weeks of October and the first couple of weeks of November.

That seems like a logical enough assignment. That'd give me enough time to save money for a new tv. OTL

Which ties into my theory now with Uncharted 4 being delayed to 2016, Sony is looking for exclusives to slot into the holiday season. Persona 5 fits the bill, and can solidify the position as the place for next gen JRPG's.

LX_Theo

Banned
As big as Persona can be on the interwebs and GAF and all... I'm not so sure it has the brand power for Sony to look at it for that.

I'd almost say Sony is more likely to lean on a multiplatform than to bank (may be a strong word for what is suggested, yes, I know) on Persona 5.

DNAbro

As big as Persona can be on the interwebs and GAF and all... I'm not so sure it has the brand power for Sony to look at it for that.

I'd almost say Sony is more likely to lean on a multiplatform than to bank (may be a strong word for what is suggested, yes, I know) on Persona 5.

they will be banking on it as their big title in Japan though. That's for sure.

Sony is looking at Star Wars Battlefront to be a huge title, and if rumors are true Call of Duty as well. I would hope they do give some attention to it at E3 though.

FluxWaveZ

How Persona 5 was shown at the pre-TGS SCEJ conference and the PlayStation Experience 2014 keynote, as well as how it's been featured in PlayStation Japan promos, says plenty, in my opinion. This doesn't take into account stuff like Shu Yoshida's reaction to the question of it being a PS3 exclusive, or how Sony has been investing in third-party developers for their library, or the interval of time between Persona 5's announcement for the PS3 and its announcement for the PS4.

LX_Theo

Banned
Oh, yeah. Japan. If that was the point of the contention then that went over my head. Just sort of assumed the discussion was about the localized release. Partly because I don't really consider a December/November Japanese release in the cards atm.

Do you find the idea of remote playing p5 an attractive one? Like not just out and about RP. But you're in your home RPing P5 on the Vita.

After playing P3P and P4G it sounds very appealing.

I think a turn-based RPG would be great for remote play too since the controls are simpler than an action game and the experience is less affected by input lag.

yuuki

How Persona 5 was shown at the pre-TGS SCEJ conference and the PlayStation Experience 2014 keynote, as well as how it's been featured in PlayStation Japan promos, says plenty, in my opinion. This doesn't take into account stuff like Shu Yoshida's reaction to the question of it being a PS3 exclusive, or how Sony has been investing in third-party developers for their library, or the interval of time between Persona 5's announcement for the PS3 and its announcement for the PS4.
also Shuhei Yoshida seems to love persona ;)

Wow, a Q4 release is a pretty big slide, considering we'd all be playing the game by now given the original release date. Oh well.

I'm conflicted on how much Persona 5 info I should seek out before release. Is it better to go in blind, or get hyped and risk being spoiled? Who knows :/

FluxWaveZ

Somewhat interesting to think that almost half of the Persona series' sales come from outside of Japan. I wonder how much of that percentage is from North America, specifically.

With Naoto Hiraoka having mentioned platform choices in regards to the Western market, with a recent increase in the level of Persona brand awareness from Western markets combined with the potential of Sony having a hand in marketing, a smaller release gap given the narrower release window determined from the earnings report would make sense. Maybe Japan doesn't need to always be the be-all and end-all of regions when it comes to Persona now. Precedent tells us that there would be very little Persona 5 presence at E3, but the possibility is open for a more significant one.

Maybe Japan doesn't need to always be the be-all and end-all of regions when it comes to Persona now. Precedent tells us that there would be very little Persona 5 presence at E3, but the possibility is open for a more significant one.

This is mainly why I'm looking forward to seeing Persona 5 at E3, it's going to be our chance to see the status of the series in the west. If Sony gives it stage time then that is pretty big for a series like Persona and if we get new footage that tells us a lot about how Atlus views the Western market.

This is mainly why I'm looking forward to seeing Persona 5 at E3, it's going to be our chance to see the status of the series in the west. If Sony gives it stage time then that is pretty big for a series like Persona and if we get new footage that tells us a lot about how Atlus views the Western market.
Well, Ultimax got new footage at e3 last year, so there's already precedent for that. I think there's a good chance we'll get something new from P5 and P4D too. I'd also be suprised if we saw any persona footage on stage (besides from it being part of a game montage). I'd think half the audience would be saying "what the hell is this?"

FluxWaveZ

well, Ultimax got new footage at e3 last year, so there's already precedent for that. I'd also be suprised if we saw any persona footage on stage (besides from it being part of a game montage). I'd think half the audience would be saying "what the hell is this?"

Non-montage games shown on stage at E3 2014's Sony conference:
  1. Entwined
  2. Let It Die
  3. ABZÛ
  4. No Man's Sky
  5. Magicka 2
Why do we have to keep underselling Persona 5? Is the game's first preview trailer almost at 3 million views on Youtube for nothing? People know what Persona is now. Again, reactions when the name "Persona" was uttered at the PlayStation Experience 2014 keynote: https://youtu.be/vlRZ2UxAe0E?t=49m6s

It's not this little niche thing anymore, even if it isn't "mainstream." Its presence has grown significantly in the West over time.

My thoughts have always been Greg Miller's: https://youtu.be/54sH5u6xqS8?t=15m30s

Nimby

Banned
Some brave soul actually watched DSP play Persona 4 to make a montage of stupidity.

I think we should pay our respects.

Non-montage games shown on stage at E3 2014's Sony conference:
  1. Entwined
  2. Let It Die
  3. ABZÛ
  4. No Man's Sky
  5. Magicka 2
Why do we have to keep underselling Persona 5? Is the game's first preview trailer almost at 3 million views on Youtube for nothing?

I'd probably knock No Man's Sky off that list as that game had a crazy amount of buzz before E3. Regardless, I'm sure plenty of people would look at Persona 5 and have no idea what it is but E3 is a chance for Sony to show what games they have coming in the latter half of this year and beyond, Persona 5 is one of the few retail games that's exclusive and coming out the end of the year so it's not super crazy to expect a P5 appearance.

I think it mainly depends on what Atlus would show, a new trailer is obviously more appealing to Sony than a a translated version of a trailer that's been out for months.

FluxWaveZ

I'd probably knock No Man's Sky off that list as that game had a crazy amount of buzz before E3.

Looking at the top YouTube views of official No Man's Sky media and doing the same for Persona 5, while considering the amount of buzz which has been building up over years for Persona 5, I would say that Persona 5 and No Man's Sky are in very comparable situations. What would we consider to be a crazy amount of buzz for NMS, but then say that P5 doesn't have the same?

When P5 can be one of the most highly anticipated games across several websites, alongside stuff like MGSV and Uncharted 4, ranked above NMS several times, I think that's indicative of a good amount of hype the game has around it. I wouldn't say NMS is anymore mainstream than P5, either.

Looking at the top YouTube views of official No Man's Sky media and doing the same for Persona 5, while considering the amount of buzz which has been building up over years for Persona 5, I would say that Persona 5 and No Man's Sky are in very comparable situations. What would we consider to be a crazy amount of buzz for NMS, but then say that P5 doesn't have the same?

When P5 can be one of the most highly anticipated games across several websites, alongside stuff like MGSV and Uncharted 4, ranked above NMS several times, I think that's indicative of a good amount of hype the game has around it. I wouldn't say NMS is anymore mainstream than P5, either.

I was looking at that list as an example of titles that P5 tops in terms of warranting an E3 stage appearance, so I knocked off No Mans Sky because I agree that it's situation is comparable to P5.

Both games have a lot of buzz surrounding them and both games have a good reason to be on stage, No Mans Sky was a great get for Sony and that got a lot of eyes on them and P5 is one of the few Sony exclusive retail games coming out in the latter half of the year. At this point I don't think it's a matter of P5 being popular enough to deserve stage time and it actually just comes down to Sony's schedule for their conference and what Atlus can provide.

FluxWaveZ

I was looking at that list as an example of titles that P5 tops in terms of warranting an E3 stage appearance, so I knocked off No Mans Sky because I agree that it's situation is comparable to P5.

Both games have a lot of buzz surrounding them and both games have a good reason to be on stage, No Mans Sky was a great get for Sony and that got a lot of eyes on them and P5 is one of the few Sony exclusive retail games coming out in the latter half of the year. At this point I don't think it's a matter of P5 being popular enough to deserve stage time and it actually just comes down to Sony's schedule for their conference and what Atlus can provide.

Ah, I see. I made that list to indicate games that were shown on stage which I perceived as being more unconventional and lesser in notoriety, or on par with Persona 5. I agree, NMS and P5 definitely occupy that same space, and it's why I think just shoving P5 aside because it somehow wouldn't be recognizable enough is a weird thing to say. Like Miller says, so many people seem to be deemphasizing or passing on P5's potential, even though it's proven itself time and time again.

I definitely think it's on Atlus Japan for whether or not there will be new Persona 5 footage at E3. I think Sony would gladly show that on stage, and the representative at the pre-TGS SCEJ conference specifically thanked Atlus for having that new teaser trailer to show there.

Aside: That girl in the P4D bath scene cutscene that was unknown before is probably Kanami.

I definitely think it's on Atlus Japan for whether or not there will be new Persona 5 footage at E3. I think Sony would gladly show that on stage, and the representative at the pre-TGS SCEJ conference specifically thanked Atlus for having that new teaser trailer to show there.

Yup, some new subbed footage seems like something Sony would be happy to show.

FluxWaveZ

Sounds like fun. They did one of these for P4AU, too. Wonder what "special information" they could have two days before the game's out. The next issue of the Persona Magazine should be coinciding with P4D's release, too.

I voted for "Dance!"

Edit: My guess of no Teddie stream last week turned out to be right, but my reasoning was off. Still, I have this feeling... This is what I think now:
  • 5/15 = Teddie trailer
  • 5/21 = Official new character reveal
  • 5/22 = Remix music video
  • 5/29 = New character trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom