• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know whether or not this is the best place to debate or somewhat shame fanon theories. But finding this on Tumblr made me unable to help myself.

The description says: "I have finally realized P3MC may have a form of autism."

tumblr_no1xj0envK1uv3i1zo1_400.jpg

As someone who is autistic, this is stunningly stupid, not only driving to their own conclusions, BUT THE GAME AND THE MOVIE TELL YOU WHY HE'S ALL OF THIS!

Yeah, this is grasping for straws. Pretty stupid. His flashbacks make it seem more like PTSD, that and the fact that
he has been harboring death inside of him for 10 years
. Not autism.

---

Also, finally got another Aigis figure in the mail that I ordered, the version based off of Soejima's artwork, and DAMN, i'm loving it. Much taller than i anticipated, she towers over the rest of my figures now. But well worth it, and definitely my favorite figure now

Meia

It's the only thing I don't like about the figures since I've started collecting: You don't really get a good feel of how big one is going to be by preordering, usually. Some just give a scale in terms of size, and that can be somewhat inaccurate.

Had no idea that Aigis was that big, tempting.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Am I the only one disappointed that they're just recreating costumes from golden?

Kinda want more dancing related outfits. Or anything new really.

Is anyone worried about the page rip style convos shown in the p5 trailer? Its so distracting how it just focuses on the eyes of the character. Imagine every single line delivered through these page rips is unimaginable.

I wish we just get proper dialogue portraits because the trailer clearly aint showing off Catherine style delivery methods.

Is anyone worried about the page rip style convos shown in the p5 trailer? Its so distracting how it just focuses on the eyes of the character. Imagine every single line delivered through these page rips is unimaginable.

I wish we just get proper dialogue portraits because the trailer clearly aint showing off Catherine style delivery methods.

1. No, I'm not worried. I think the page rips look stylish as hell.

2. You can clearly see the character models talking to each other in engine in the trailer, the rips are clearly just there as a flourish for emphasis.

3. If you think EVERY line of dialogue is going to be presented this way, then you are insane.

EDIT: On another note, I will be glad if the 2D portraits do not return. I see them as a thing of the past now. They were fine in P3/4 because they were on the PS2, technical/bugetary limitations and whatnot, and they're fine in the spinoffs since they're emulating the P3/4 style. But let's move on shall we, tech has advanced and they showed in Catherine that they don't need them anymore to convey dialogue to the same quality.

Setsu00

You seem to worry about a lot of strange stuff. Maybe you should just sit back and wait until we have more information.

It did look that way, but I'd bet the trailer makes it seem more distracting then it actually is. I mean, we don't even know if those replace the character's conversation portraits since there was no text window when they appeared. Unless the text was removed for the trailer, I was thinking those page rips would appear sporadically to show a reaction (suprised, happy, confused, etc) from the characters.

However, it's too early to judge just yet. Trailers are meant to be cinematic and combine lots of sequences that don't normally appear together in normal gameplay. We don't even know if the cut ins will appear as shown in the final build. So you can't really draw conclusions from the one trailer we've seen.

The page rips confirms some kind of 2d dialogue portraits are in the game. But the page rip themselves are just there for emphasis like on the eyes, or half the face, while the character models are too far away.

I think we should wait to see more before getting worried over a couple minutes of promotional gameplay

CorvoSol

What!? I can't imagine the unimagineable,mang.

I'm pretty sure the page rips are the equivalent of the occasional close up things they did in P3, and those weren't distracting at all.
EDIT: On another note, I will be glad if the 2D portraits do not return. I see them as a thing of the past now. They were fine in P3/4 because they were on the PS2, technical/bugetary limitations and whatnot, and they're fine in the spinoffs since they're emulating the P3/4 style. But let's move on shall we, tech has advanced and they showed in Catherine that they don't need them anymore to convey dialogue to the same quality.
"Shit's old" is a pretty lame reason to remove something if you ask me.

The high quality scenes of Catherine weren't maintained throughout the entirety of the game and it relied a lot on a lot of really basic cinematics that were essentially prettier Persona scenes without portraits to fill the gaps. P5 is almost certainly going to be significantly longer than Catherine and it's not going to be able to keep up Catherine's A-game scenes for everything. That seems like a net loss in my opinion.

I'm not even entirely sure chasing larger budgets is something Persona should be doing.

Mexen

Hi, there. Long time lurker and only ever beaten P3P. Wondering which title I should play next. Actually, wondering in what order I should play what and if SMT titles should be included.
Senpais, help a Persona newb out.

Nimby

Banned
Hi, there. Long time lurker and only ever beaten P3P. Wondering which title I should play next. Actually, wondering in what order I should play what and if SMT titles should be included.

Welcome aboard. Most people tend to play P4G next. After that I think you are set to start other SMT games.

Sophia

gamingbird were you just in irc, the people demand to know
He was there?!

That was another member using his name as a joke in response to the suggestion that he should come into IRC, lol.

Logically, the next step is probably Persona 4. Either the vanilla version on the PS2/PS3, or Persona 4 Golden on the Vita depending on what you have.

After that, if you wish to make your way to the mainline games, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne is the ideal starting spot. If you have a 3DS, look into Soul Hackers (for oldschool SMT gameplay) or SMT IV (for a more modern take.) And of course, if you have a 3DS, look into Persona Q after you've finished Persona 4.

Mexen

Welcome aboard. Most people tend to play P4G next. After that I think you are set to start other SMT games.

Logically, the next step is probably Persona 4. Either the vanilla version on the PS2/PS3, or Persona 4 Golden on the Vita depending on what you have.

After that, if you wish to make your way to the mainline games, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne is the ideal starting spot. If you have a 3DS, look into Soul Hackers (for oldschool SMT gameplay) or SMT IV (for a more modern take.) And of course, if you have a 3DS, look into Persona Q after you've finished Persona 4.

Great, thanks, really helpful. A pal has it on Vita so I'll be sure to get it soon and give it a spin.
Will begin a man hunt for the rest thereafter.

FluxWaveZ

This is what I said back before the game was revealed:
I don't understand. Catherine's models looked gorgeous, so if a Persona 5's models were graphically comparable to Catherine's, I'm not sure how that would ruin their image as the models being primary way the characters' looks are conveyed instead of static portraits (that may or may not blink and/or move their mouths).

Several disagreed with me back then (on this page), but my opinion remains the same: I do not care about 2D portraits if the presentation can be representative of what was seen in Catherine. And no, I still do not believe that Catherine's level of presentation is somehow more resource intensive than the alternative when stock camera movements, character animations and other masking techniques can be used to account for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom