• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FluxWaveZ

There's a real difference in composure between Tomoe's humble and appreciative expression here:
vljm35152_s05
...and this super vain, "I'm so fabulous" one.
Wonder if that's what they're going for, which could be cool. I thought it would kind of be the same with Nozomi, but she has an earnest expression in the recent P4D music video:
I hope they're cool characters. I think they look cool, at least, aside from maybe Sumomo, but she could be decent as well, especially if she has a dynamic with Nanako.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I'm not great on Japanese mythology but is there some God of underserved fame that can be summoned by their collective will or something?

Just picked up 5 vita games for my recent vita purchase from GameStop and among them was P4:Golden. I don't know what to expect from this game as I got it solely from word of mouth. It's definitely out of my comfort zone as the only JRPG I've played is Pokemon. The cashier at GameStop was super excited that I was buying it btw. Was he one of you guys? ;) But yeah, it's going to be fun to finally be able to understand what the Persona commotion is about.

Just picked up 5 vita games for my recent vita purchase from GameStop and among them was P4:Golden. I don't know what to expect from this game as I got it solely from word of mouth. It's definitely out of my comfort zone as the only JRPG I've played is Pokemon. The cashier at GameStop was super excited that I was buying it btw. Was he one of you guys? ;) But yeah, it's going to be fun to finally be able to understand what the Persona commotion is about.

You made a good choice, hope you enjoy it.

MSMrRound

The cashier at GameStop was super excited that I was buying it btw. Was he one of you guys? ;) But yeah, it's going to be fun to finally be able to understand what the Persona commotion is about.

If you brought your copy in Singapore, maybe=P P4G is always one of the first few that I would recommend to a customer when they are asking about Vita games.

P4G takes a while to get started, but don't worry. You will get into the meat of things soon enough.

mp1990

Banned

I'm sure you'll like it, P3 FES was my first JRPG aside from Pokémon, and i loved it, A LOT, it's my GOAT since i finished it. Any doubts, don't look over Google or YT, it's pretty easy to get spoiled over these places, ask here.

Makio

Everytime i see that Nozomi chick (the red one Flux posted) , i see a adult version of Minako lol.

Loving her design and my favorite kanamin kitchen girl (until now) just for that.

PD: BTW i dont get a word of japanese , but looking that PSC gameplay , who can play with the shadow characters , so they are using Shadow Yosuke and Shadow Nanako in those videos ... right ?

84X

Banned
Does anyone else feel like some of the choices of who dances to what seem slightly... weird?

Kanamin having Shadow World, Naoto having Heaven, Yosuke having Your Affection... Heck, it's even weird that Narukami has Dance. The whole song screams Rise.

I think I was expecting them to choose songs that fit the character, I guess? But it feels like the criteria (whatever it was) was different. Maybe they just based it on nothing, and went with whatever they felt like at the time.

This is one thing that has actually been bugging me. It seriously seems like they threw darts to distribute some of the songs.

In my opinion these are pretty obvious choices:
Rise should have Dance!
Kanji should have Backside of the TV
Yu should have Reach Out to the Truth (this could still happen but he already has four songs)

On the other hand, Yukiko is the slowest dancer and has Now I Know and (presumably) Snowflakes... so I guess there's some thought to it.

PD: BTW i dont get a word of japanese , but looking that PSC gameplay , who can play with the shadow characters , so they are using Shadow Yosuke and Shadow Nanako in those videos ... right ?

You can choose to change the character's headphones and whether or not to give them shadow eyes... there's probably more to it but that's all we know.

Makio

You can choose to change the character's headphones and whether or not to give them shadow eyes... there's probably more to it but that's all we know.

For the videos seems no change anything in the gameplay , but is a cool visual effect in the end.

That Shadow Nanako looks creepy.

And OMG that Margaret X Yosuke team up is amazing and dumb in the same time.

Haha, does he not? Who does? I can't imagine the song with anyone else.

Yosuke got it and i mad since is my favorite remix so far and Yosuke have a great dance moves , but i dont want to play with him if i got to choose.

Sophia

Unsurprisingly, yours truly. Most core fans enjoy it.

"Most" ? You know that's what they call weasel words, right?

I certainly don't enjoy the negotiation system as it was seen in Persona 2, at any rate. I'm marginally more fond of the P1 and SMT3/IV ones, even if the later has a tendency to result in silly deaths early on in the game when negotiating.

Hope that's not an edit.

That looks like Devil Survivor 2, so it's probably real, lol. That game had a lot of silly and hilarious dialogue choices in it.

cj_iwakura

"Most" ? You know that's what they call weasel words, right?

I certainly don't enjoy the negotiation system as it was seen in Persona 2, at any rate. I'm marginally more fond of the P1 and SMT3/IV ones, even if the later has a tendency to result in silly deaths early on in the game when negotiating.

To put it another way, people who get hyped for new core games tend to look forward to the negotiation system, that's why it keeps getting built on rather than tossed aside. It's definitely no longer Persona's cup of tea, though.

cj_iwakura

Looks like a game I should play

Or was DS2 the one with the painfully dull story, at least compared to the other one?

I feel like giving one of them a try, but I want to do the one that has a good story.

DS2 has a decent story, and does a good attempt at having (slightly) different ideologies than L/N/C.

DS1's is fantastic.

Have you played Soul Hackers? That's the king.

aravuus

DS2 has a decent story, and does a good attempt at having (slightly) different ideologies than L/N/C.

DS1's is fantastic.

Have you played Soul Hackers? That's the king.

No, but I'll look into it when I get some money. Goddamn shame 3DS games never seem to drop in price though, it's still 45 euros. 40e from Amazon uk. Does the game offer difficulty options, btw? Many SMT games have been a bit too hard for my liking, P4's easy difficulty was probably the best one for me.

Anyway, back to Persona: has there been anything about what P5 versions will actually get localized? I'm thinking of selling my PS4, it's been gathering dust for a long time now, but I'm a bit concerned. IIRC, only the PS4 version of the DQ action RPG (Heroes?) is getting localized and I've got this weird feeling that the same thing is going to happen with Persona 5. I'd be perfectly fine with the PS3 version, a game like Persona doesn't need high resolution or framerate or anything.

cj_iwakura

No, but I'll look into it when I get some money. Goddamn shame 3DS games never seem to drop in price though, it's still 45 euros. 40e from Amazon uk. Does the game offer difficulty options, btw? Many SMT games have been a bit too hard for my liking, P4's easy difficulty was probably the best one for me.

Anyway, back to Persona: has there been anything about what P5 versions will actually get localized? I'm thinking of selling my PS4, it's been gathering dust for a long time now, but I'm a bit concerned. IIRC, only the PS4 version of the DQ action RPG (Heroes?) is getting localized and I've got this weird feeling that the same thing is going to happen with Persona 5. I'd be perfectly fine with the PS3 version, a game like Persona doesn't need high resolution or framerate or anything.

It's $15 in the US now, saw it at GameStop. And yes, there's an app that changes difficulty.
It's a fairly easy game, though, apart from some nasty bosses. Buffs are broken.

And I personally consider PS3 the lead console for P5, no way did it start with current gen in mind.

PK Gaming

Looks like a game I should play

Or was DS2 the one with the painfully dull story, at least compared to the other one?

I feel like giving one of them a try, but I want to do the one that has a good story.

Hmm

Devil Survivor 1 & 2 are solid games that blend the SMT lore and atmosphere with the character focused stories that the Persona games are known for. Both games have pretty good stories, but I definitely have to give the edge to Devil Survivor 1... That is, I would have, until I played Record Breaker. See, both games follow a similar format of having 7-8 days of gameplay and multiple ending routes, but Record Breaker adds an entirely new story, which is straight up a sequel (with it's own ending routes). It's all kinds of amazing, and basically a 2-for-1 deal. You can't go wrong with either game, but DS2 is definitely stronger now.

You know you want to.

Weiss

Banned
Replaying P4 for the first time in six years, and the game is surprisingly much more intelligent than I remembered. None of the characters can be easily boxed into familiar tropes and it touches on some pretty heavy themes with varying degrees of grace, like grappling with sexuality, institutionalized sexism, the harshness of Japan's school system, and losing loved ones to disease.

It's certainly much deeper than the spin-off titles have painted its characters.

Replaying P4 for the first time in six years, and the game is surprisingly much more intelligent than I remembered. None of the characters can be easily boxed into familiar tropes and it touches on some pretty heavy themes with varying degrees of grace, like grappling with sexuality, institutionalized sexism, the harshness of Japan's school system, and losing loved ones to disease.

It's certainly much deeper than the spin-off titles have painted its characters.

Agreed completely. It doesn't lean on those garbage anime tropes, and maybe that's why I was so receptive to the game first time playing it.

kiyoaki

Or the light novels, or the anime, or really anything after the original game. I'm looking forward to P4DAN for the remixes, but I'm glad that Atlus will move on to the next main installment after that. And I'm happy that P5 looks like it'll be quite different from P4.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
Or the light novels, or the anime, or really anything after the original game. I'm looking forward to P4DAN for the remixes, but I'm glad that Atlus will move on to the next main installment after that. And I'm happy that P5 looks like it'll be quite different from P4.

I hope we don't see as many spinoffs of P5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom