• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FluxWaveZ

Next week ought to be fun. Bet there'll be some new P4D info on Tuesday via Famitsu leaks.

Next month's issue of Dengeki Maoh will have a special P4D costume code. And some other Persona stuff.

Next week ought to be fun. Bet there'll be some new P4D info on Tuesday via Famitsu leaks.

Next month's issue of Dengeki Maoh will have a special P4D costume code. And some other Persona stuff.

I feel like every time someone's predicted something like a Famitsu feature or a PV or something like that, it's been a week early. So going off precedent: the famitsu feature will be next week.

Although whenever they get around to updating the website properly, if there's no tease for Margaret then that could mean that PV3 will be this week instead, so more famitsu info would make sense to go along with that.

Also: Every PV so far has mentioned the Persona 5 bluray, so if PV3 follows that trend, I wonder if it might provide something new on that as well, like the cover or something.

Dantis

Really? I might have to look into getting a code seeing as I'll be using a JP account to play it.

FluxWaveZ

I feel like every time someone's predicted something like a Famitsu feature or a PV or something like that, it's been a week early. So going off precedent: the famitsu feature will be next week.

You mean June 11th by "next week," right? Wanna bet? Let's bet. It'll be the first avatar bet I win here.

Since I'm pretty sure there'll be a Famitsu update, though, the prospects of next Friday's update being a PV03 seems likely.

You mean June 11th by "next week," right? Wanna bet? Let's bet. It'll be the first avatar bet I win here.

Since I'm pretty sure there'll be a Famitsu update, though, the prospects of next Friday's update being a PV03 seems likely.

I don't feel confident enough to take that bet, especially when my reasoning is based off previous predictions being bad. It does seem a bit soon after the last one, but possibility of PV3 this week makes me think that is could happen.

FluxWaveZ

Ah, I figured there was a reason behind you being so confident.

The preview for the next Dengeki mentions a Dancing All Night feature: http://blog.hokanko-alt.com/archives/44913861.html

and Dengeki always gets it a week after Famitsu, so there would have to be one this week.

Ha, damn. There's that, but I've also been made aware what that P4D feature will consist of. Basically, I actually know there's going to be a Famitsu update this Tuesday, heh.

Give me the conditions.

Still wanna bet?

FluxWaveZ

Absolutely. So in essence, we're betting on whether they'll be a P4D feature in next week's Famitsu?

Uh... sure. Tell me what you mean by "feature," though. If I can go with that, the avatar bet will be for the loser to don an avatar of my making—since the impetus for this is on me—until the release date for P4D. "Next week" specifically refers to the issue of Famitsu releasing on June 4th, 2015.

Uh... sure. Tell me what you mean by "feature," though. If I can go with that, the avatar bet will be for the loser to don an avatar of my making—since the impetus for this is on me—until the release date for P4D. "Next week" specifically refers to the issue of Famitsu releasing on June 4th, 2015.

Anything, really. List of songs, whatever.

Dantis

Ha, damn. There's that, but I've also been made aware what that P4D feature will consist of. Basically, I actually know there's going to be a Famitsu update this Tuesday, heh.
Is there any reason to keep it a secret? Can you at least imply along the lines of what you've heard?

FluxWaveZ

Hell no to all of the above; nipping that in the bud right now. Just forget I said anything. Except the bet, because that's really important.

Rock94

Neo Member
Hi. This is actually my first post on Neogaf despite joining months ago (really shy). I've gotten into the Persona series kind of recently, and I've been looking for a community to discuss the series with. Excited for Persona 5 and Dancing All Night (well I got get a bigger Vita Memory card for that), but yeah. Nice to meet you all.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
Alright, flux
Hi. This is actually my first post on Neogaf despite joining months ago (really shy). I've gotten into the Persona series kind of recently, and I've been looking for a community to discuss the series with. Excited for Persona 5 and Dancing All Night (well I got get a bigger Vita Memory card for that), but yeah. Nice to meet you all.

Welcome!

Rock94

Neo Member
Alright, flux

Welcome!

Thank you. I guess I should share my current Persona related experience so far and how I got into it. A friend of mine, recommended I watch the Persona 4 anime, so I did and I enjoyed it. So when I happened to get my Vita, everyone was really talking up Persona 4 Golden, so at some point during Winter 2013, I got it downloaded. Over the course of time I beat the game and really enjoyed it. I also really liked the Persona 3 Movies (the first one in particular I really liked since it gave a lot of screen time to my favorite Persona character).

Then at some point I got P3 FES off the PSN store, and really enjoyed it as well. It also houses my favorite character in the entire series. Fuuka Yamagishi. I really like her, and so far I don't see any future character ever usurping her as I really love her. I borrowed Persona 4 Arena from a friend, and liked it (I suck at traditional fighting games I admit, and would get clobbered by anyone remotely proficient). I played Ultimax, and I then got Persona Q for my 3DS and am currently playing through that now, and am excited for Persona 5. Sorry if this was a bit long winded.

Thank you. I guess I should share my current Persona related experience so far and how I got into it. A friend of mine, recommended I watch the Persona 4 anime, so I did and I enjoyed it. So when I happened to get my Vita, everyone was really talking up Persona 4 Golden, so at some point during Winter 2013, I got it downloaded. Over the course of time I beat the game and really enjoyed it. I also really liked the Persona 3 Movies (the first one in particular I really liked since it gave a lot of screen time to my favorite Persona character).

Then at some point I got P3 FES off the PSN store, and really enjoyed it as well. It also houses my favorite character in the entire series. Fuuka Yamagishi. I really like her, and so far I don't see any future character ever usurping her as I really love her. I borrowed Persona 4 Arena from a friend, and liked it (I suck at traditional fighting games I admit, and would get clobbered by anyone remotely proficient). I played Ultimax, and I then got Persona Q for my 3DS and am currently playing through that now, and am excited for Persona 5. Sorry if this was a bit long winded.

I noticed you didn't mention liking Ultimax or Q. :p

In all seriousness, welcome to the thread. Hope you enjoy your stay

Rock94

Neo Member
I noticed you didn't mention liking Ultimax or Q. :p

In all seriousness, welcome to the thread. Hope you enjoy your stay

Oh! Well I do actually. I think Ultimax is alright (though I still suck at traditional fighting games admittedly) and I'm actually enjoying Q. When I'm not busy with productive stuff, or playing my other systems, I really try to make some progress in that game. Thank you as well.

Oh! Well I do actually. I think Ultimax is alright (though I still suck at traditional fighting games admittedly) and I'm actually enjoying Q. When I'm not busy with productive stuff, or playing my other systems, I really try to make some progress in that game. Thank you as well.

Productive stuff is good! I need to do more of it.

Welcome to the madhouse!

It's quite rare to see someone name fuuka as their favourite character. It's not that people don't like her, hell, we had an art week dedicated to her, but it's unusal to see someone outright call her their favourite.

Quiz time for the newbie!

Favourite persona design?
Favourite song?
Favourite scene?
Favourite non party member?
Hype levels for P5?

Rock94

Neo Member
Welcome to the madhouse!

It's quite rare to see someone name fuuka as their favourite character. It's not that people don't like her, hell, we had an art week dedicated to her, but it's unusal to see someone outright call her their favourite.

Favourite song?
Favourite scene?
Hype levels for P5?

I really do like Fuuka. She's such a selfless and respectable character who doesn't get much love in my opinion, compared to other characters. Not to say I don't like any other characters, I do, but she is definitely my favorite (Persona 3 Main protagonist being my second favorite). I elaborate more, but I don't want to bog it down with so many details.

Favorite Persona design. Well out of the main cast I say I'm really partial to Orpheus, but outside of them, I say Thor.

Favorite song? Tough one since the series has so many I really like. I say overall... I really like Memories of the School. It's such a calming (yet depressing song) to listen to. Just calms and relaxes you.

Favorite scene? Tough one. I'll think it over.

Favorite non party member? In terms of entertainment value, I thought Morooka was kind of ridiculous (but in a fun goofy way) but I wouldn't hang out with him. I say... Kou was kind of cool from P4. I could relate to his plight a lot, (though I'm sure I can relate to a lot of characters in the series). I generally like all the NPCs for the most part.

Very hyped. Among the top games I plan to buy this year. At the same time, I'm trying to keep my expectations in check, so I don't disappoint myself.

Meia

Fuuka is best character.

I like you. :D

Fuuka doesn't get a lot of love, but I don't think they handled her perfectly in P3 which caused a lot of that. She's kind of the only character that has something that really bothers her in her private life, but it's kept from the player completely, which I always found odd. They improved the characterization overall in P3P with the female route, but that still never really touched upon it, which I thought was a missed opportunity.

Fuuka doesn't get a lot of love, but I don't think they handled her perfectly in P3 which caused a lot of that. She's kind of the only character that has something that really bothers her in her private life, but it's kept from the player completely, which I always found odd. They improved the characterization overall in P3P with the female route, but that still never really touched upon it, which I thought was a missed opportunity.

I'm not saying it was necessarily well done in this case but I like it when there are things like this in an RPG you just can't learn or accomplish socially. The aspect of the MC that's an ultra-magnetic personality that can get anyone to tell them their secrets is cool a lot of the time for the sake of learning about characters. But sometimes I like it when someone takes a step back and doesn't want to share. Makes the world feel more colorful in a way.

It's like in Danganronpa 2 where (social/Island Mode spoiler)
Peko won't fall for you, no matter what. She likes you, she appreciates you, but she's devoted to someone else. It makes the friendship, such as it is given the story limitations, feel a bit more believable.

Squire

Banned
Welcome to the madhouse!

Favourite song?
Favourite scene?
Hype levels for P5?

-Lupin III
-"My Name Is" by Eminem
-The ending of The Parent Trap (1998)
-Kanji's mom
-5/10 it'll probably be an OK game

Rock94

Neo Member
I like you. :D

I definitely would love to learn more about her. I feel out of all the P3 Party Members, she gets the least amount of focus, which is upsetting personally, but it is what it is.

I'm not saying it was necessarily well done in this case but I like it when there are things like this in an RPG you just can't learn or accomplish socially. The aspect of the MC that's an ultra-magnetic personality that can get anyone to tell them their secrets is cool a lot of the time for the sake of learning about characters. But sometimes I like it when someone takes a step back and doesn't want to share. Makes the world feel more colorful in a way.

I also agree with this to a degree. I just wish more of the spin off material or outside media might elaborate a bit more on her. I really genuinely like the character, and I understand she's going to have less focus admittedly, compared to the other characters who are more popular then her.

Meia

It's like in Danganronpa 2 where (social/Island Mode spoiler)
Peko won't fall for you, no matter what. She likes you, she appreciates you, but she's devoted to someone else. It makes the friendship, such as it is given the story limitations, feel a bit more believable.

The problem in general if we're referring to Persona is eventually the player finds out almost everything about what a character ticks. Junpei is one of the most guarded when it comes to what his problems actually are(funnily enough they're SO guarded that most players wind up disliking him because of it), but you do actually find out what his deal is. I mean, you had the Answer, which does the lion share of this job in terms of what makes someone tick, and Fuuka I think was the only one that didn't have a scene. Yes, her "scene" would have been what happened during the game anyway in all likelihood, but the game never touches upon her home life at all(only in some passing comments she makes that are never drawn attention to), and that's it.

Because of that, the major complaint against her is that she's kind of just there/bland. The only thing more annoying than an actual "bland" character is a character with framework to not be, but it's never built upon.

On another(unrelated) note, thinking back, it's somewhat interesting that P3 had moments where you weren't in the MC's shoes, and you were shown what another character was up to. Only really worth mentioning that outside of I think one scene(really early with Adachi and Dojima talking about the case), Persona 4 never does this at all. Not sure this was a positive change, though I guess I can see what they were going for.

The problem in general if we're referring to Persona is eventually the player finds out almost everything about what a character ticks. Junpei is one of the most guarded when it comes to what his problems actually are(funnily enough they're SO guarded that most players wind up disliking him because of it), but you do actually find out what his deal is. I mean, you had the Answer, which does the lion share of this job in terms of what makes someone tick, and Fuuka I think was the only one that didn't have a scene. Yes, her "scene" would have been what happened during the game anyway in all likelihood, but the game never touches upon her home life at all(only in some passing comments she makes that are never drawn attention to), and that's it.

Because of that, the major complaint against her is that she's kind of just there/bland. The only thing more annoying than an actual "bland" character is a character with framework to not be, but it's never built upon.

Hmm, the funny thing is that reading this I realized that, yeah, I think of Fuuka as kind of bland. Nice, pleasant, welcome, but not super interesting. Even if they were intending to hold back part of her personality in order to enhance the rest I agree that they needed to better capitalize on what the set up.

On another(unrelated) note, thinking back, it's somewhat interesting that P3 had moments where you weren't in the MC's shoes, and you were shown what another character was up to. Only really worth mentioning that outside of I think one scene(really early with Adachi and Dojima talking about the case), Persona 4 never does this at all. Not sure this was a positive change, though I guess I can see what they were going for.

I think for Persona 4 specifically it makes sense because they wanted to hide aspects of the mystery so that the player wouldn't have access to more information than the characters do. It's not the only way to tell a whodunnit but I think it works well enough here.

In general I do like splitting perspectives a bit more. It makes it easier to get insight on other characters so that the story doesn't have to fully revolve around the MC.

Rock94

Neo Member
but the game never touches upon her home life at all(only in some passing comments she makes that are never drawn attention to), and that's it.

Yeah, I know what you mean. The movies do a slightly better job of handling this, as Fuuka in the 2nd movie explains how her parents only care for her grades and don't even look at her (poor girl), while the game doesn't elaborate on this as much. I really wished they fleshed her out more.

Hmm, the funny thing is that reading this I realized that, yeah, I think of Fuuka as kind of bland. Nice, pleasant, welcome, but not super interesting. Even if they were intending to hold back part of her personality in order to enhance the rest I agree that they needed to better capitalize on what the set up.

I agree wholeheartedly with this. It's a shame that games like Q, Arena, and Ultimax didn't get the chance to expand on her character on this as much (though I was personally glad to see her still). Though if they do more spin offs, and if she's in them, they still have a chance to do so.

Squire

Banned
...I realized you're probably trolling, so now I'm sad :(

I mean, I am.

But not about The Parent Trap. It's probably not my favorite scene, but I do love the ending and the whole movie in general.

Little long in tooth though. Was on MTV yesterday and boy those commercials stretch it out to like three hours!

Zebetite

Banned
much love to my fuuka fam, god bless, just your daily reminder that fuuka has the best rank 10 gift item of all time

fuuka's pretty cool

I mean, I am.

But not about The Parent Trap. It's probably not my favorite scene, but I do love the ending and the whole movie in general.

Little long in tooth though. Was on MTV yesterday and boy those commercials stretch it out to like three hours!

:O

That was one of my favorite movies growing up! Nice to hear someone else liked it.

Meia

Yeah, I know what you mean. The movies do a slightly better job of handling this, as Fuuka in the 2nd movie explains how her parents only care for her grades and don't even look at her (poor girl), while the game doesn't elaborate on this as much. I really wished they fleshed her out more.

I wonder if I make the parental thing more than what it is because of cultural differences. Fuuka lives with her folks, and her folks are just fine to not know where she is for almost two weeks. That stands out as a LARGE warning sign, but it's glossed over so completely that I do just wonder if it's a cultural thing.

With her line in the second movie, would it be possible that her parents are so busy that they didn't even notice her gone for that long, cause that seems excessive too. Considering how much of P3 is "No one has a happy family life YAY!" Fuuka's story in that is completely glossed over. Her entire presence in P3 is just kind of odd with how she was handled.

Rock94

Neo Member
I wonder if I make the parental thing more than what it is because of cultural differences. Fuuka lives with her folks, and her folks are just fine to not know where she is for almost two weeks. That stands out as a LARGE warning sign, but it's glossed over so completely that I do just wonder if it's a cultural thing.

With her line in the second movie, would it be possible that her parents are so busy that they didn't even notice her gone for that long, cause that seems excessive too. Considering how much of P3 is "No one has a happy family life YAY!" Fuuka's story in that is completely glossed over. Her entire presence in P3 is just kind of odd with how she was handled.

I don't think so. Two weeks is very excessive. A week would be excessive. Even if they were that busy, surely they recognize their own daughter being gone for such a period of time. While I liked her Social Link, it could have been nice to have them delve into that part of her life more. What terrible parents. Poor Fuuka.

I probably would like Fuuka alot more if she had more character building. She mentions her problems with her family, but they never really surface at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom