• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Not sure if this has been discussed here or not, but I think I should share this with you guys anyway. This is just speculation so don't take this as a fact.

So I was thinking the other night about why the characters are fighting Sandman and Pyro Jack in the latest Persona 5 trailer...
A9hVRgi.png

After thinking about it for a while I remembered the Velvet Room is a prison and the twin assistants are prison guards, and they're the ones in charge of the compendium. What if the Personas escaped from the compendium and you have to fight them in dungeons to bring them back?
If your shadows were personas and personas' shadows, that would be interesting.

The pessimism surrounding Persona 5's 2015 U.S release date is crazy. I feel like publishers have completely destroyed any faith people have in release dates.

Currently the only evidence that might show that P5 won't be releasing in 2015 is lack of info/news on the game. But considering how Atlus seems to only really start marketing games like 2-3 months before release, that is not shocking.

You're dealing with a machine that is operated entirely at random.

One thing's for certain in my mind: Persona 5 WILL be released in 2015. Sony needs a game it can use for marketing considering Uncharted 3 was pushed back to 2016, and P5 is perfect for the JRPG crowd who's been dormant on consoles for the better part of this gen.

The pessimism surrounding Persona 5's 2015 U.S release date is crazy. I feel like publishers have completely destroyed any faith people have in release dates.

Currently the only evidence that might show that P5 won't be releasing in 2015 is lack of info/news on the game. But considering how Atlus seems to only really start marketing games like 2-3 months before release, that is not shocking.

I agree with you completely.

The special Blu-ray not coming to other regions really makes me feel like some people are reaching for anything to say "This is a 2016 game in North America."

I know this might be a bit off-topic from what you said, but there are so many possible reasons as to why the Blu-ray is not coming here. Distribution costs; the timing being so different that everyone would have seen it already, making it not worth the money to bring it over and change the region, manufacture it, etc. Sure, those are quick processes; but the point is that it would not be worth the money. Plus, they'd have to edit the footage into English and use their build of the game to make it a localized version. That's just not worth the costs, even if it isn't too expensive.

Sure, it's possible that this game could be releasing in other regions in 2016. What I found weird is why certain people used the Blu-ray to make that point.

I think it's more likely the protagonists are being aided by Shadows some way, and thus the enemies are simply demons.

You know, maybe we might see a return to bringing back the negotiation system in some fashion if the enemies this time around are the personas you can obtain from the velvet room, tbh I could take it or leave it with the negotiation system being in P5, but if it is I wouldn't mind it.

You know, maybe we might see a return to bringing back the negotiation system in some fashion if the enemies this time around are the personas you can obtain from the velvet room, tbh I could take it or leave it with the negotiation system being in P5, but if it is I wouldn't mind it.

But the thing is, if you're going back to negotiation, why not just make another mainline SMT game?

Sophia

I don't see negotiations coming back to Persona anytime soon, to be honest. I think, whatever the gameplay mechanic may be, it's going to be something new. Or at least a twist on the usual mechanics.

Makio

People just don't have faith in a 2015 release. </3

For things like "Persona 5 gonna be released no before of October in Japan" people see not possible a 2015 release in NA.

But if the financial theory is right , i going full December 2015 in NA for sure until Atlus USA say otherwise.

(Still hoping for a earlier than September/ October japanese release tho...)

CorvoSol

FUCK

PK Gaming

I liked it more when characters other than the lead had access to multiple arcanas but you can't really do that with the current setup.

You totally can, you just have to change how the battle system works

Ditching the One More System is one way of going about it. Or better yet, the act of switching Personas should take up a turn. Either way, i'm 200% down with party members being able to switch between Personas.

You totally can, you just have to change how the battle system works

Ditching the One More System is one way of going about it. Or better yet, the act of switching Personas should take up a turn. Either way, i'm 200% down with party members being able to switch between Personas.

Really? I don't think the battle system would necessarily need to change for this. The Social Link system would need to change to either accommodate other arcanas interacting with each other or do something like triggered events of other characters expanding their personal horizons.

I get why the makers would opt for something as simple as only having the MC be able to switch personas but it bugs me. It's like the MC is allowed to be whatever you want him/her to be but everyone else is stuck on rails, but hey, focus story elements on growth, learning and change! So long as it's in a straight and predetermined line!

Dantis

No P4D costume update this week, it seems. I think any hopes of original costumes have kind of gone out of the window at this point.

Only the high cut armour left. Probably DLC too.

PK Gaming

Really? I don't think the battle system would necessarily need to change for this. The Social Link system would need to change to either accommodate other arcanas interacting with each other or do something like triggered events of other characters expanding their personal horizons.

I get why the makers would opt for something as simple as only having the MC be able to switch personas but it bugs me. It's like the MC is allowed to be whatever you want him/her to be but everyone else is stuck on rails, but hey, focus story elements on growth, learning and change! So long as it's in a straight and predetermined line!

It would definitely need to change because the ability to switch Personas on the fly in conjunction with the One More! system gives you a devastating advantage. Imagine having 3 other characters who can do that... it would kill the difficulty. That's why i'm a fan of Persona swapping taking up a turn, because that would let you preserve the One More! system (or any similar systems).

BTW, the general idea behind why the protagonist can switch Personas:

protagonist = blank slate (hence infinite possibilities)
party members = predefined characters (singular, defined persona*)

*This doesn't really make sense by the devs have acknowledged that so...

But i'm already done with that. I was content with it in P3 and P4, but I want them to shake things up in P5. Managing multiple Personas for different characters is one of my fav aspects of the Persona series.

CorvoSol

It would definitely need to change because the ability to switch Personas on the fly in conjunction with the One More! system gives you a devastating advantage. Imagine having 3 other characters who can do that... it would kill the difficulty. That's why i'm a fan of Persona swapping taking up a turn, because that would let you preserve the One More! system (or any similar systems).

But i'm already done with that. I was content with it in P3 and P4, but I want them to shake things up in P5. Managing multiple Personas for different characters is one of my fav aspects of the Persona series.

Sub Personas sould continue. I liked em

Difficulty level already doesn't exist. Letting 4 people shotgun mobs wouldn't be bad if you restrict SP pools and make bosses more difficult to defeat with just auto-firing. But it also would probably be a lot simpler to nix And One.

The one-track progression thing bothered me not just with the personas but the social link lines as well. It's why I liked Ai so much in 4. It's not that I necessarily thought she was great to spend time with but it was really nice to have someone who actually reacted to what I was saying.

And what I'm saying now is that as much as I liked parts of 3 and 4 I'm more than ready for the formula to get overhauled.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Now we've seen the NA se for P4D it'd be nice to know if EU is getting anything similar.

I'm not concerned by the absence of a release date, but sceptical that we'll get anything other than a standard release.

84X

Banned
You can give the characters shadow eyes... so things like glasses are probably in as well.

At the very least it'll be interesting to see what else we can change.

84X

Banned
For those interested who don't want to search through PSC:

Margaret unsurprisingly has Electronica in the Velvet Room
Teddie has Pursuing My True Self (Shinichi Osawa Remix)
Nanako has Shadow World (ATLUS Kozuka Remix)
Naoto has Heaven (Norihiko Hibino Remix)

For those interested who don't want to search through PSC:

Margaret unsurprisingly has Electronica in the Velvet Room
Teddie has Pursuing My True Self (Shinichi Osawa Remix)
Nanako has Shadow World (ATLUS Kozuka Remix)
Naoto has Heaven (Norihiko Hibino Remix)

Nanako didn't get Heaven?

You're dealing with a machine that is operated entirely at random.

One thing's for certain in my mind: Persona 5 WILL be released in 2015. Sony needs a game it can use for marketing considering Uncharted 3 was pushed back to 2016, and P5 is perfect for the JRPG crowd who's been dormant on consoles for the better part of this gen.

Time machine indeed ;)

Anyway, sony isn't turning to P5 to fill the void left by UC4, their focus is on marketing deals with third party blockbuster franchises.
Assuming that P5 will come in 2015 based on sony's need for an exclusive for the holidays doesn't make any sense.

Hello there, everyone!

I decided to make a write-up on the ATLUS/SEGA buyout for those who were never able to fully understand everything about it or wanted to find out more about how it all went down in particular, as well as everything behind it.

Here's the write-up: http://www.evernote.com/l/AbqJ3nZcwcRBe46mOAltop4QPcYl_L7Nbls/

Please tell me what you think. I worked really hard on writing it all up for everyone, and I hope everyone enjoys it.

I apologize if this is a bit off-topic, but I really wanted to explain this after seeing the P5 Blu-ray thing, as well as other discussions, and I wanted to help other people understand it more in order to clear up any misconceptions that may still be around.

Hello there, everyone!

I decided to make a write-up on the ATLUS/SEGA buyout for those who were never able to fully understand everything about it or wanted to find out more about how it all went down in particular, as well as everything behind it.

Here's the write-up: http://www.evernote.com/l/AbqJ3nZcwcRBe46mOAltop4QPcYl_L7Nbls/

Please tell me what you think. I worked really hard on writing it all up for everyone, and I hope everyone enjoys it.

I apologize if this is a bit off-topic, but I really wanted to explain this after seeing the P5 Blu-ray thing, as well as other discussions, and I wanted to help other people understand it more in order to clear up any misconceptions that may still be around.

Good writeup, seems mostly accurate, although would you mind linking your sources if you still have them around?

One part I'm curious about is SEGA's current relationship with Atlus. The current hierarchy should look like this:
source
Implying that Atlus is under SEGA Games, however you state, and I've seen a source for this as well, that SEGA only lists Atlus as an affiliate, which could imply that they're not fully owned by SEGA. So I'm wondering just how much control SEGA actually have over Atlus. Their financial reports at least act as if Atlus is fully a part of the company.

Good writeup, seems mostly accurate, although would you mind linking your sources if you still have them around?

One part I'm curious about is SEGA's current relationship with Atlus. The current hierarchy should look like this:

source
Implying that Atlus is under SEGA Games, however you state, and I've seen a source for this as well, that SEGA only lists Atlus as an affiliate, which could imply that they're not fully owned by SEGA. So I'm wondering just how much control SEGA actually have over Atlus. Their financial reports at least act as if Atlus is fully a part of the company.

They are not part of SEGA Games. SEGA Games was made for SEGA games, such as the Sonic the Hedgehog series, Phantasy Star Online 2, Chain Chronicle, and others. ATLUS is affiliated with SEGA Corporation, the entertainment group. At the start of FY2016, SEGA (the game company) became SEGA Games, to differentiate themselves. As you see from the hierarchy, ATLUS is affiliated with the SEGA Corporation consumer division, as they act as the distributor for ATLUS consumer games in Japan amongst other related things. SEGA Games is just the game development and production studio for games developed and published by SEGA in Japan, such as Phantasy Star Online 2 (by SEGA) or Stella Glow (published by SEGA) SEGA Games uses the regular SEGA logo for their games, and a similar logo on the SEGA Games site.

Here's the source: http://sega.co.jp/corporate/profile_group_j/

ATLUS is listed under "&#38306;&#36899;&#20250;&#31038;" which means "associated group(s)" or "associated company." Meaning, they are not part of the "&#12464;&#12523;&#12540;&#12503;&#20225;&#26989;" (group businesses) category, which would mean they are part of the SEGA group and not just affiliated with SEGA Corporation. The reason you see their financial reports act as if SEGA acts for them at times, is because their financial holdings and stokebroker, including stock number, is associated with SEGA SAMMY HOLDINGS. However, nothing ATLUS related is done by SEGA except for distribution. SEGA has very little control over ATLUS as a company, from what I've gathered.

And this is SEGA Games, for reference: http://sega-games.co.jp/

The site for SEGA SAMMY HOLDINGS lists ATLUS and every other associated company as part of the Group, even though that is not the case. The list on the SEGA Holdings site seems to be more accurate, as it has different sub-categories.

I hope this gave you the answer you were looking for, Crimson. I'm always here to help when needed.

Nap1400

So wait, if mascot Teddie and human Teddie are the same character, doesn't that open up space for one more character from what we've deduced?

it's gonna be marie isn't it

FluxWaveZ

So wait, if mascot Teddie and human Teddie are the same character, doesn't that open up space for one more character from what we've deduced?

it's gonna be marie isn't it

No, it doesn't. All slots are accounted for, both from the Famitsu DX posters and the official website's empty character spaces.

muteki

No, it doesn't. All slots are accounted for, both from the Famitsu DX posters and the official website's empty character spaces.

I'm seeing 2 slots open on the official site now, and it looks like human teddie has no icon of his own, rather his info is listed under bear teddies icon.

Maybe they haven't updated yet. Probably grasping at straws.

Dantis

I'm seeing 2 slots open on the official site now, and it looks like human teddie has no icon of his own, rather his info is listed under bear teddies icon.

Maybe they haven't updated yet. Probably grasping at straws.

Oh hey, you're right!

Interesting.

Probably Marie. And she's probably DLC.

FluxWaveZ

Different page URLs with different media associated with both. Just like how Teddie's character trailer's song has not been updated to the Music page, neither has human Teddie's character icon been added to the character page.

Dantis

Does anyone else feel like some of the choices of who dances to what seem slightly... weird?

Kanamin having Shadow World, Naoto having Heaven, Yosuke having Your Affection... Heck, it's even weird that Narukami has Dance. The whole song screams Rise.

I think I was expecting them to choose songs that fit the character, I guess? But it feels like the criteria (whatever it was) was different. Maybe they just based it on nothing, and went with whatever they felt like at the time.

Meia

Does anyone else feel like some of the choices of who dances to what seem slightly... weird?

Kanamin having Shadow World, Naoto having Heaven, Yosuke having Your Affection... Heck, it's even weird that Narukami has Dance. The whole song screams Rise.

I think I was expecting them to choose songs that fit the character, I guess? But it feels like the criteria (whatever it was) was different. Maybe they just based it on nothing, and went with whatever they felt like at the time.

Or whatever style dance best suits the song the character is tied to, who knows. Still wish you could choose any character for any song, but ah well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom