• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh, I liked Q and Arena 1. Ultimax was good on the gameplay side, but the story execution was utterly flawed.

Same, other than the meh story, Ultimax is a fantastic game.

Arena's story was good if poorly laid out.

Q is just a great game, seriously, I loved it.

Plus, THEY'RE SPINOFFS! I doubt anyone went into any of them expecting the narrative quality of a mainline title.

I think why people tend to look upon them unfavourably at times is because of atlus' abuse of the word 'canon'. I genuinely think that if Arena/Ultimax/Q/DAN hadn't been marketed as such then I think the naysayers would have looked more positively upon them.

FluxWaveZ

I think why people tend to look upon them unfavourably at times is because of atlus' abuse of the word 'canon'. I genuinely think that if Arena/Ultimax/Q/DAN hadn't been marketed as such then I think the naysayers would have looked more positively upon them.

I think because of how much the spin-offs shift from core design from the game they derive from, the vocal minority would have formed against them regardless.

All of the spin-offs have been praised by most people and they have had good sales for a reason.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that they're bad, it's just that they all don't have that "special" thing that the mainline Persona games have. Persona is one of my favorite franchises so my expectations are pretty high and I don't think any of the spinoffs have delivered on that.
Maybe I shouldn't have high expectations of spinoffs in the first place, that's probably it.

PQ was still fun though.

I think Ultimax's story and Q's flanderisation of a couple of characters hurt the reputation of the spinoffs quite a bit. At least, that's the impression I seem to get.

Or it might just be because those are easy things to latch onto. I feel like both complaints are often exaggerated anyway.

Eh, Persona itself is a branch of a tree. I don't care that it isn't straight-up regular series SMT; any complaints I may have are about the games by themselves.

I don't mind Ultimax's story because, hey, it's a fighting game and I have no expectations for their narratives, ever. I just care about how good the controls feel as I duel friends and it's pretty good in that regard.

Q doesn't interest me to begin with so I don't really have much of an opinion about it.

Dantis

I think the main stumbling point in all of the spinoffs is the story and the writing.

PQ is by far the best, but even there the characters are written significantly differently than in the main games.

I think the problem isn't Atlus' obsession with adhering to canon, but their obsession with adhering to story. I don't feel like there would be much to criticise in Ultimax if the awful story mode was removed entirely, and it would open avenues for characters like FeMC.

I don't feel like there would be much to criticise in Ultimax if the awful story mode was removed entirely

And replaced with what? Fighters need a single player tournament mode and that mode needs some kind of story to string things along or else it feels cheap and lazy. You're not going to sell a fighter just as a multiplayer game, people will want to goof around with it by themselves as well.

FluxWaveZ

I don't feel like there would be much to criticise in Ultimax if the awful story mode was removed entirely, and it would open avenues for characters like FeMC.

The Arena series would go through much more heavy criticism if its story mode was not present. Even a game like Divekick has a "story" mode. It just makes it feel more content complete; the people who stick with it are those who enjoy playing fighting games in the first place.

cj_iwakura

And replaced with what? Fighters need a single player tournament mode and that mode needs some kind of story to string things along or else it feels cheap and lazy. You're not going to sell a fighter just as a multiplayer game, people will want to goof around with it by themselves as well.

Well it never hurts Capcom. Not to say I disagree with you, but they get away with murder in terms of lacking singleplayer content. BB is easily the most packed with content, and all the FGC does is hate on ArcSys.

Arena's story is the only reason I finally picked up the persona RPGs

Blazblue's story is one of my favorite in games.

Id rather my fighters continue to have stories

Rubedo

Arena's story is the only reason I finally picked up the persona RPGs

Blazblue's story is one of my favorite in games.

Id rather my fighters continue to have stories

And also having a story telling what happened after P4 was 90% of the reason I bothered playing the Arena games. So it works both ways.

I think the main stumbling point in all of the spinoffs is the story and the writing.

PQ is by far the best, but even there the characters are written significantly differently than in the main games.

I think the problem isn't Atlus' obsession with adhering to canon, but their obsession with adhering to story. I don't feel like there would be much to criticise in Ultimax if the awful story mode was removed entirely, and it would open avenues for characters like FeMC.

I disagree with you on the story front. I may hate Ultimax's wasteful story with the fury of a thousand suns, but I can still ignore it because it's a spinoff, and chronologically the latest one at that.
Either I just ignore the end of this series and replace it with something more satisfying to me, or they make an excellent continuation later on, and I take Ultimax on the chin.

As for PQ, most of the cases are characters being brought in pre-development (Teddie being the most glaring example).
The thing is it can be excused because we know
Teddie and Mitsuru develop
later on, and Akihiko... well I never liked him to begin with, so no real loss there. :p

PS: Just got past the
guiding Rei section
in PQ. Great moment for the characters, with great voice acting and an interesting setpeice.

Nimby

Banned
The story mode of Arena bored me to tears, I made the mistake of picking Yu and was treated to an absolute borefest. But I bought it for the fighting mostly, it's fun.

Playing through Arena's story was a painful experience. After playing through Golden I think I realized that Persona spinoffs just aren't for me. They do nothing but harm my appreciation for the stories and characters I loved. Arena and Ultimax are fun fighting games on their own, but I still have to endure their hideous caricatures of most of the P3 cast, so I avoid them more often then not. Just really not what I'm looking for in Persona.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Playing through Arena's story was a painful experience. After playing through Golden I think I realized that Persona spinoffs just aren't for me. They do nothing but harm my appreciation for the stories and characters I loved. Arena and Ultimax are fun fighting games on their own, but I still have to endure their hideous caricatures of most of the P3 cast, so I avoid them more often then not. Just really not what I'm looking for in Persona.

I got that vibe when I looked at golden and *shudders* Marie.

FluxWaveZ

Wait... thinking about it again, why do we think that the Persona 5 special Blu-ray movie is not included with first-print copies of P4D in North America?

cause there is no indication it is.

Other interpretation. The only thing people have come up with is "because its contents will be online after June 25th anyways," and something about that doesn't sound right.

Guess Who

Banned
Wait... thinking about it again, why do we think that the Persona 5 special Blu-ray movie is not included with first-print copies of P4D in North America?

My guess is - the point of it being a preorder bonus in Japan is that it helps sell preorders by promising you exclusive access to new P5 footage. That footage will not be very exclusive by the time DAN hits the US. Think of it the other way: how would a P5 footage disc help move preorders if everyone's already seen the footage on it?

FluxWaveZ

Think of it the other way: how would a P5 footage disc help move preorders if everyone's already seen the footage on it?

Yeah, that makes sense when put that way. I guess it's a bit weird to me because we don't really know what it contains, 'cause I could also envision a situation where an English version of that footage could actually be a pre-order incentive.

Makio

My guess is - the point of it being a preorder bonus in Japan is that it helps sell preorders by promising you exclusive access to new P5 footage. That footage will not be very exclusive by the time DAN hits the US. Think of it the other way: how would a P5 footage disc help move preorders if everyone's already seen the footage on it?

Basically this , for the time Dancing is in NA (September) Persona 5 is already in full campaign to his "october release" so i dont see how exclusive can be a blu ray with footage maybe in that point we already see in some japanese trailers / stream promos.

Or Flux got it wrong and the game release before the date of Dancing in America .. still believe this until Atlus hit ME in the face with the october- december release window 100% confirmed

FluxWaveZ

Or Flux got it wrong and the game release before the date of Dancing in America .. still believe this until Atlus hit ME in the face with the october- december release window 100% confirmed

Even if we ignore financial earnings reports, do you really think Persona 5 will have 2 months of marketing behind it in Japan?

Makio

Even if we ignore financial earnings reports, do you really think Persona 5 will have 2 months of marketing behind it in Japan?

Dont mind me bro but is like more "omg i want this game right now" feels more than reasonable claim.

I mean i read all the financial stuff and make a lot of sense of course , but lets say in a untypical scenario what if not happens like that.

And like you already say Persona 5 this time gets more notice and got a lot press , do they really need a extended marketing for a game already is making a lot of buzz.

I dont know what the regular Atlus marketing time for this games ¿ like 3-4 months before release ?.

So lets say the Dancing all Night publicity ends in June , so they go all the way with P5 since July 1st or earlier. And yeah to answer you yeah i see possible a September (Mid September) release after two months of getting publicity,

But i like say before i dont know how that things work is more like a hopeful thought to see the game earlier.

We are in the point we dont know anything yet , Atlus can say fuck you the game gonna be in July ... or Fuck you the game gonna be until December.

Of course we have the idea when can drop thanks to the financial stuff but like say again is more like my reason part says gonna be until October - December and my hype part is like " the release date gonna be in the blu ray of Dancing All Night and gonna be earlier than that".

Just got to wait and see what happens if see you got it right (like other times) or something untypical happens.

Other interpretation. The only thing people have come up with is "because its contents will be online after June 25th anyways," and something about that doesn't sound right.

a) it's not worth it because we'll have seen a good amount of P5 footage by then anyway

b) it would require Atlus USA to be at a certain stage in Persona 5's localisation by the time they need it, which might not be something that they can commit too.

MSMrRound

a) it's not worth it because we'll have seen a good amount of P5 footage by then anyway

b) it would require Atlus USA to be at a certain stage in Persona 5's localisation by the time they need it, which might not be something that they can commit too.

I'm inclined to think that AtlusUSA might be thinking about marketing/production costs as well. They are usually known for their first print edition copies etc, and instead of making a disc which show us stuff we might already have seen from the 26 June Japanese blu-ray disc, they might want to channel their budget into other games/first print production costs instead of making a disc which some might consider obsolete (by the time it comes out).

aravuus

Hmm

Devil Survivor 1 & 2 are solid games that blend the SMT lore and atmosphere with the character focused stories that the Persona games are known for. Both games have pretty good stories, but I definitely have to give the edge to Devil Survivor 1... That is, I would have, until I played Record Breaker. See, both games follow a similar format of having 7-8 days of gameplay and multiple ending routes, but Record Breaker adds an entirely new story, which is straight up a sequel (with it's own ending routes). It's all kinds of amazing, and basically a 2-for-1 deal. You can't go wrong with either game, but DS2 is definitely stronger now.

Hah, one vote for each, might as well get both games then lol

FluxWaveZ

Other interpretation.

I got the press release. I'm fully aware that the NA release of P4D doesn't come with the P5 blu-ray.

It's point A that seems weird to me, depending on what the "special movie" contains. Point B is pretty good, though; I hadn't thought of that. It depends on just how these things are handled behind the scenes I guess, maybe they would have the schedule planned out by now anyways.

yuuki

I got the press release. I'm fully aware that the NA release of P4D doesn't come with the P5 blu-ray.

It's point A that seems weird to me, depending on what the "special movie" contains. Point B is pretty good, though; I hadn't thought of that. It depends on just how these things are handled behind the scenes I guess, maybe they would have the schedule planned out by now anyways.

maybe the trailer is only time exclusive to preorders, or it will contain a Demo of persona 5 for ps3/ps4 and atlus usa just plans to release it on the psn anyways so it would defeat the point of an preorder.

maybe the trailer is only time exclusive to preorders, or it will contain a Demo of persona 5 for ps3/ps4 and atlus usa just plans to release it on the psn anyways so it would defeat the point of an preorder.

All the media related to the bluray has said that it will be an extended video of some sort. It's not going to be a demo. If it was, they'd be promoting that fact.

What if we expect the spinoffs to be good?

PQ is awesome, In my opinion, the best Persona spinoff game released so far. I'm never played the Etrian games, but it made me more interested in trying them. P4A and P4U are good fighting games, just not my style ASW fighters in general don't seem to click with me. I didn't like the BlazBluesque story telling of text dumps after text dumps.

While I find the Persona spin off games to be pretty great overall, I'm hoping P4D will be the last we see of the Compilation of Persona 4 till P5 drops.

While I'm here quick questions:
Let me preface this by saying the P4 anime was alright, I don't watch anime as much as I use to, but it was serviceable. How is the P4G anime?

Also I recently saw P3: Spring of Rebirth and P3: Midsummer Knight's Dream. I found them to be a fantastic retelling of P3, especially they way they handle P3MC, wish everyone else had some more screen time, but overall very satisfied with both.

Let me preface this by saying the P4 anime was alright, I don't watch anime as much as I use to, but it was serviceable. How is the P4G anime?

Also I recently saw P3: Spring of Rebirth and P3: Midsummer Knight's Dream. I found them to be a fantastic retelling of P3, especially they way they handle P3MC, wish everyone else had some more screen time, but overall very satisfied with both.

P4GA - dont........just dont, trust me.

Let the P4 anime and the P3 movies be your persona anime experiences, because that way it will stay a positive thing.

Just pretend the P4GA doesnt exist and you'll be a better person for it!

P4GA - dont........just dont, trust me.

Let the P4 anime and the P3 movies be your persona anime experiences, because that way it will stay a positive thing.

Just pretend the P4GA doesnt exist and you'll be a better person for it!

Damn, what's wrong with it?

Also, how about that Persona: Trinity Souls anime, is that any good? All I know is that Akihiko has a cameo. That's the extent of my knowledge, new characters also.

DNAbro

Also, how about that Persona: Trinity Souls anime, is that any good? All I know is that Akihiko has a cameo. That's the extent of my knowledge, new characters also.

It's just bad. like real bad. There are like 2 episodes that are worth a damn all the others are "omg marie you are the bestest person ever and we need you every single second in our life."

The animation quality is consistantly terrible, every scene is about Marie (even ones that she has nothing to do with in the game), all fights have been basically removed, to the point that Izanagi kills
Ameno Sagiri
in literally one hit....

I could go on further, but I wont, it's bad.

As for Trinity Souls, the only thing I know is that a bunch of people in here group watched it and now seem to be dead inside as a result.

Also, whale feathers.

The animation quality is consistantly terrible, every scene is about Marie (even ones that she has nothing to do with in the game), all fights have been basically removed, to the point that Izanagi kills
Ameno Sagiri
in literally one hit....

I could go on further, but I wont, it's bad.

As for Trinity Souls, the only thing I know is that a bunch of people in here group watched it and now seem to be dead inside as a result.

Also, whale feathers.

Thanks for the info. I was hoping it would improve upon the solid foundation of the P4 anime.

As for Trinity Souls... (Gulp)... I'll pass on that one as well. I'll find another anime to watch. What was that anime Corvo always talks about? Full Metal Panic? I'll watch that since it sounds like Full Metal Alchemist, though from how he has described it, has nothing in common with FMA.

Don't watch the episodes with Marie in them. I enjoyed the Christmas and
Adachi
episodes though.

BTW, If you want to watch an anime that's like Persona you should watch JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (especially Stardust Crusaders). It's what would happen if the Investigation Team suddenly turned into giant, strong men that decided to take a trip to Egypt.

I'm pretty sure that Personas were inspired by the Stand system of the original JoJo manga. Atlus has also made some references to JoJo in PQ and the DAN character artworks.

Don't watch the episodes with Marie in them. I enjoyed the Christmas and
Adachi
episodes though.

BTW, If you want to watch an anime that's like Persona you should watch JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (especially Stardust Crusaders). It's what would happen if the Investigation Team suddenly turned into giant, strong men that decided to take a trip to Egypt.

I'm pretty sure that Personas were inspired by the Stand system of the original JoJo manga. Atlus has also made some references to JoJo in PQ and the DAN character artworks.

I've read some of the JoJo manga, maybe I'll look into the anime.

*Pop*

It's super bad, but the most offensive part about it is that it's boring. You should watch it with a group of friends who are into Persona for maximum enjoyment.

I'll round up some friends to trash talk it, because that sounds like where the enjoyment will be derived from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom