• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mob21

Banned
The thing is, people assume games like this have way more importance to developers for the japanest market, when in fact it's the total opposite.

Everyone and their grandmother will be buying this game when it releases in japan. What they most want to do is make sure the same thing happens for their western market, which still isn't as convinced as their japanese market

I see Persona 5 as much less appealing to the mainstream (in the West at least) than even something like P4 or Catherine. They've really doubled down on, like you say, a classic anime look.

I think Catherine was a really good step towards expanding their fanbase, but I feel like Persona 5 is two steps back.

I'm sure Japan will go crackers for it though, which I guess is what they aim for.
Catherine was appealing to the mainstream? The game that looked like this on the cover?
latest
latest
Lol, yeah. Alright...

I mean fine, P5 is "anime" looking, but come on. It has a very stylized look that looks very slick to the eyes.
I'm curious why you would consider Persona 5 more "anime" than 4 or Catherine. When I think "classic anime" I think DBZ, Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell, which all had mainstream success in America.
And to me, P5 has the "cool" or "swagger" that some of those shows had. Maybe people will just dismiss it as "animu trash," but I'm hopeful.

Sophia

I see Persona 5 as much less appealing to the mainstream (in the West at least) than even something like P4 or Catherine. They've really doubled down on, like you say, a classic anime look.

I think Catherine was a really good step towards expanding their fanbase, but I feel like Persona 5 is two steps back.

I'm sure Japan will go crackers for it though, which I guess is what they aim for.

I really don't think I'd call Persona 5 a "classic anime look"

If anything, Soejima's art most resembles a western graphic novel or comic book than anything anime. Of course, the difficulty in capturing that art means the in-game animated cutscenes will look anime tho.

Catherine was appealing to the mainstream? The game that looked like this on the cover?

Lol, yeah. Alright...

Well he's not exactly wrong in the sense that it expanded the fanbase. Catherine did have a very strong opening for Atlus USA after all.

FluxWaveZ

Though now I wonder if the JP devs will eventually start making games specifically made to appeal to westerners...
You know, based purely on other countries having a larger market share.

I think global appreciation is more important than solely targeting a game for the West, and I think they already have been doing that for the former since Persona 3.
“The big turning point was 2008, which was when Persona 3 came out [in the West],” explains Atlus CEO Naoto Hiraoka.

“Up until then, when we would develop a game in Japan, it was very much what we would want to do – as a company. We would want to make a game, and we would make the game the way we wanted to and do it a certain way. That was always how we had done things up until that point.

“Persona 3 represented something different for us; it was the first time where we decided to look at things overall, and think more about the consumers and what the consumer might be looking for in a game. That's how that game was developed and then released.

“Seeing the fan reaction to that, it was extremely positive, and things kind of took off from there. So we decided that, going forward, we would focus on these things and think about these things while creating our games.”
Hiraoka restates his belief that Atlus’ growing global success is thanks to the company’s belief that Japanese gameplay sensibility can appeal to a Western audience.

“The things you might notice about the characters and worlds of games like Persona 4 and Catherine are that they are very Japanese, but are at the same time very character-based and character-focused,” he comments. “Users seemed to get very involved with that and had an extremely positive reaction – both in Japan, of course, but even in the West as well.

“We realised, from that, that going forward this is how we should develop and create games. That was the turning point – even since then, our market has been expanding and there has been a greater appreciation for Atlus brand titles.”
“At the moment, Persona 5 has been announced for the PS3 and PS4 in Japan only. We haven't made a decision as to who or how we are going to distribute the title in the West, but what we have noticed and what we are definitely concentrating on is that we know now that the West, as a market, is indispensable to our overall business plans. It's an extremely important part of what we are doing.

“We saw this through Persona 4 and through Catherine as well. So going forward, putting the West and Europe as a big part of the market, and understanding how valuable it is, we will definitely be increasing the amount of energy and effort we put into making sure the game is marketed and sold as broadly as possible throughout North America and Europe.”
A lot more from the big boss himself, Naoto Hiraoka, the president and CEO of Atlus.

Basically, some people need to realize Persona isn't as niche as they think it is anymore (or want it to be), and that the West is becoming increasingly important to their overall business plan.

Dantis

I'm curious why you would consider Persona 5 more "anime" than 4 or Catherine. When I think "classic anime" I think DBZ, Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell, which all had mainstream success in America.

I feel like you're asking two seperate questions here. P5's aesthetic reminds me of anime like Bebop, and I think that's deliberate. Catherine's aesthetic moved away from that kind of thing with more realistic characters (both in terms of art and design), an ambiguous country/location and a more sensible story (until the batshit insane end sequence, at least).

Classic anime like DBZ had mainstream success, but that only proves that heavily Japanese media can possibly have success, not that heavily Japanese media isn't hindered by its portrayal as such.

Persona 5 will probably sell really well. But I think that if they'd continued to do something a bit less... eccentric? Then it could have sold better, at least in the western markets.

I really don't think I'd call Persona 5 a "classic anime look"

If anything, Soejima's art most resembles a western graphic novel or comic book than anything anime. Of course, the difficulty in capturing that art means the in-game animated cutscenes will look anime tho.

It really does, and I've been saying that for years. It's what drew me to Persona 3 in the first place.

But the whole Phantom thing is super, super Japanese-y.

I absolutely think Soejima's art has the potential to appeal to the west. The P3P wallpaper I've posted a million times is a great example. But P5's art is not where he'll have his breakthrough.

Sophia

It really does, and I've been saying that for years. It's what drew me to Persona 3 in the first place.

I absolutely think Soejima's art has the potential to appeal to the west. The P3P wallpaper I've posted a million times is a great example. But P5's art is not where he'll have his breakthrough.

I dunno, it's very Lupin the 3rd-ish in style at best. Which isn't really a representation of Japanese media, much less anime, for a good 20-30 years.

If anything, I get classic Arsène Lupin vibes more than anything. Mixed in with a little bit of Phantom of the Opera.

I'm not willing to underestimate the market tho. Definitely think the appeal is there.

Well he's not exactly wrong in the sense that it expanded the fanbase. Catherine did have a very strong opening for Atlus USA after all.
Unfortunately, considering that we haven't had an original mainline Persona title since 2008, it's hard to find anything meaningful to compare that 200,000 number to. It certainly did well, but I don't see what that tells us about the "style" of Catherine (which still looks anime as hell to me) versus the style of something like Persona 5. It's certainly got a unique style, and it's not a moe-blob game, but it looks obviously anime-inspired and Japanese made.

Dantis

I dunno, it's very Lupin the 3rd-ish in style at best. Which isn't really a representation of Japanese media, much less anime, for a good 20-30 years.

If anything, I get classic Arsène Lupin vibes more than anything. Mixed in with a little bit of Phantom of the Opera.

It reminds me so much of Lupin III. Also the Bebop opening.

I don't get classic Lupin vibes from it at all though.

One of the things I think will be the least appealing to the mainstream is the dual persona of the protagonist, unless it's handled well. If it's literally a dork who is actually a not a dork but a super cool phantom thief then that will be very Japanese videogamey.

Sophia

Unfortunately, considering that we haven't had an original mainline Persona title since 2008, it's hard to find anything meaningful to compare that 200,000 number to. It certainly did well, but I don't see what that tells us about the "style" of Catherine (which still looks anime as hell to me) versus the style of something like Persona 5. It's certainly got a unique style, and it's not a moe-blob game, but it looks obviously anime-inspired and Japanese made.

Well, I wasn't meaning to use it to compare. Merely just to point out that orthodoxy's comment wasn't entirely accurate. :p

One of the things I think will be the least appealing to the mainstream is the dual persona of the protagonist, unless it's handled well. If it's literally a dork who is actually a not a dork but a super cool phantom thief then that will be very Japanese videogamey.

I think your bias is showing if you somehow think the theme is exclusive to Japanese. :\

FluxWaveZ

What? What about the advent of super hero movies? Chronicle, Spider-Man, The Hulk, Superman? This is in absolutely no way some Japan-centric trope.

Well, I wasn't meaning to use it to compare. Merely just to point out that orthodoxy's comment wasn't entirely accurate. :p
What about my comment was inaccurate? I said that I find it hard to believe that it appealed to the mainstream (or that it was even trying to). Especially just given the marketing and the freaking covers that you found in the store. You pointed out that it sold 200,00. All in all, that really doesn't prove anything about the style and "mainstream" status either way. Especially again given that we have nothing to compare it to.
If it's literally a dork who is actually a not a dork but a super cool phantom thief then that will be very Japanese videogamey.
peter-peter-parker-23094911-496-585.jpg

QuadOpto

..Heh? Really, the dual persona life is much more prevalent in Western culture than anything--The classic superhero "secret identity" and all.

Really, I think the style of Persona 5 hits a center spot between classic Japanese anime and dark vigilante Western comics, at least based on visuals so far. I definitely don't think it isn't even close to the "anime"-ness of Persona 3 or 4, which honestly were a lot more Japanese and anime both in setting and story.

Weiss

Banned

Aren't you just describing 90% of teen superheroes since Spider-Man?

It may not seem quite as accessible as Persona 4's very mainstream "teenager urban fantasy" which lacked even the macabre weirdness of the previous Persona titles, but I don't think a secret team of costumed vigilantes fighting against a greater evil will be that out there for Western fans.

Dantis

What? What about the advent of super hero movies? Chronicle, Spider-Man, The Hulk, Superman? This is in absolutely no way some Japan-centric trope.

I mean, I guess? But (I don't know what Chronicle is, so this won't apply to that) in modern portrayals, they're not dorks They're played by cool, attractive people. Andrew Garfield isn't a dork. And did you see Man of Steel? Nobody's looking at Henry Caville and saying "Huh, what a loser".

You're right that it probably isn't a Japanese thing though. It permeates. I guess my bias was simply because the Persona characters are teenagers, and that makes me associate it with anime.

I think people will find it off putting if it's as cut and dry as it seems to be, but that might even be an age thing.

FluxWaveZ

Really, I think the style of Persona 5 hits a center spot between classic Japanese anime and dark vigilante Western comics, at least based on visuals so far. I definitely don't think it isn't even close to the "anime"-ness of Persona 3 or 4, which honestly were a lot more Japanese and anime both in setting and story.

Yep, I don't actually understand where this conversation that Persona 5 is somehow the one of Atlus' recent games that will be the most unappealing to mainstream, Western audiences originated from. I get the total opposite vibe from everything that's been shown for Persona 5.

I mean, I guess? But (I don't know what Chronicle is, so this won't apply to that) in modern portrayals, they're not dorks They're played by cool, attractive people. Andrew Garfield isn't a dork. And did you see Man of Steel? Nobody's looking at Henry Caville and saying "Huh, what a loser".
I beg to differ. Tobey Maguire looks like a total dork in Spider-Man. Painfully so at times.
toby-maguire-peter-parker.jpg

And have people never seen Kick-Ass? It's a movie (and a comic book) about dorks wearing costumes.
kick-ass_movie_image_comic_nerds_01.jpg

I don't see what the relevance of the physical attractiveness of the actors is though. Just because you're physically attractive doesn't mean you aren't a dork. I mean, is Mark Ruffalo an attractive dude? Sure. But damn, he is still a frigging dork in Avengers. And it's not like the characters in Persona are going to be ugly dorks.
Yep, I don't actually understand where this conversation that Persona 5 is somehow the one of Atlus' recent games that will be the most unappealing to mainstream, Western audiences originated from. I get the total opposite vibe from everything that's been shown for Persona 5.
Much agreed.

Dantis

I beg to differ. Tobey Maguire looks like a total dork in Spider-Man. Painfully so at times.
toby-maguire-peter-parker.jpg

And have people never seen Kick-Ass? It's a movie (and a comic book) about dorks wearing costumes.
kick-ass_movie_image_comic_nerds_01.jpg

I don't see what the relevance of the physical attractiveness of the actors is though. Just because you're physically attractive doesn't mean you aren't a dork. I mean, is Mark Ruffalo an attractive dude? Sure. But damn, he is still a frigging dork in Avengers. And it's not like the characters in Persona are going to be ugly dorks.

Much agreed.

Kick Ass is self aware, so that means nothing. Persona 5 will not be self aware about it's dual protagonist thing. I can guarantee it.

The Tobey Maguire Spiderman films are old now, man. The first one came out thirteen years ago. They don't represent current trends.

I also disagree that Mark Ruffalo's character is a dork, unless being smart and wearing glasses makes you so.

The Tobey Maguire Spiderman films are old now, man. The first one came out thirteen years ago. They don't represent current trends.
Oh I wasn't aware that dorks aren't a character archetype anymore.
I also disagree that Mark Ruffalo's character is a dork, unless being smart and wearing glasses makes you so.
Uh, what do you think a dork is exactly? Because it sounds like you're using the word but you have no idea what it means.
dork
dôrk/
informal: a dull, slow-witted, or socially inept person.

or

Slang. a silly, out-of-touch person who tends to look odd or behave ridiculously around others; a social misfit:
"If you make me wear that, I’ll look like a total dork!"
Synonyms: jerk, schmo; nerd, geek.
That is Bruce Banner's person in a nutshell in Avengers. A genius nerd who is socially inept as hell.

Dantis

Uh, what do you think a dork is exactly? Because it sounds like you're using the word but you have no idea what it means.

That is Bruce Banner's person in a nutshell in Avengers. A genius who is social inept as hell.

When you start posting dictionary definitions and asking someone if they understand English, I think any chance of good conversation has passed.

What is this, GameFAQs? Come on, man.

Oh I wasn't aware that dorks aren't a character archetype anymore.

Oh I guess we are. Cool.

P4A was surprisingly self aware. I liked how the game mocked Mitsuru's and Akihiko's fashion decisions.

It was the very tip of self aware. It felt like Atlus saying "Haha, we now these are terrible LOL".

FluxWaveZ

I also don't understand how the supposed "dorkiness" of the protagonist (a character we know basically nothing about) is even that relevant when it comes to mainstream appreciation. Especially when we're specifically talking about the crowd who would be buying a video game—a JRPG—not going to watch a Hollywood film.

This is also pretty funny when there was discussion of Catherine having more mainstream appeal, a game in which the protagonist was Vincent Brooks.

When you start posting dictionary definitions and asking someone if they understand English, I think any chance of good conversation has passed.

What is this, GameFAQs? Come on, man.
It's not a question of understanding "English," it's a question of misunderstanding what a "dork" is. You seem to think that dorkiness is somehow linked to attractiveness...which it's not. And then you claimed that Bruce Banner in Avengers isn't a dork...and he's a textbook dork. If I remember correctly, Black Widow calls him a dork in the damn movie. All that dorkiness refers to generally is social ineptitude.

Put all that together, and I think I'm fairly justified in asking what you think the word means.
I also don't understand how the supposed "dorkiness" of the protagonist (a character we know basically nothing about) is even that relevant when it comes to mainstream appreciation. Especially when we're specifically talking about the crowd who would be buying a video game—a JRPG—not going to watch a Hollywood film.

This is also pretty funny when there was discussion of Catherine having more mainstream appeal, a game in which the protagonist was Vincent Brooks.
Nah you see, mainstream audiences wouldn't appreciate a dork character.

Dantis

I also don't understand how the supposed "dorkiness" (of a character we know basically nothing about) is even that relevant when it comes to mainstream appreciation. Especially when we're specifically talking about the crowd who would be buying a video game—a JRPG—not going to watch a Hollywood film.

Vincent was cool as hell. He was definitely a modern portrayal of a dorky character. As in, likeable and cool.

He's stylish, witty and occasionally goofy.

It's not a question of understanding "English," it's a question of misunderstanding what a "dork" is. You seem to think that dorkiness is somehow linked to attractiveness...which it's not. And then you claimed that Bruce Banner in Avengers isn't a dork...and he's a textbook dork. If I remember correctly, Black Widow calls him a dork in the damn movie.

Put all that together, and I think I'm fairly justified in asking if you understand what the word means. Because from where I'm standing, it doesn't seem like you do.

Cool.

Sophia

What about my comment was inaccurate? I said that I find it hard to believe that it appealed to the mainstream (or that it was even trying to). Especially just given the marketing and the freaking covers that you found in the store. You pointed out that it sold 200,00. All in all, that really doesn't prove anything about the style and "mainstream" status either way. Especially again given that we have nothing to compare it to.

The good first week sales suggest it did have a bigger appealing to mainstream consumers, which is contrary to what you believe. We don't really need a comparison.

Indeed. Vincent was a pretty dorky protagonist.

I feel like you're asking two seperate questions here. P5's aesthetic reminds me of anime like Bebop, and I think that's deliberate. Catherine's aesthetic moved away from that kind of thing with more realistic characters (both in terms of art and design), an ambiguous country/location and a more sensible story (until the batshit insane end sequence, at least).

Classic anime like DBZ had mainstream success, but that only proves that heavily Japanese media can possibly have success, not that heavily Japanese media isn't hindered by its portrayal as such.

Persona 5 will probably sell really well. But I think that if they'd continued to do something a bit less... eccentric? Then it could have sold better, at least in the western markets.

"But P5's art is not where he'll have his breakthrough."

The game only has one key visual released for it with Soejima art, and one full character line art. This game is also being animated by Production I.G., who animated Ghost in the Shell. That futhers the possibilities of this game having very good animation in scenes, etc. Let's wait for more art to come out before stating that it's not where he'll have his breakthrough. We don't know that yet. If anything, this could be the game where he has his breakthrough. We won't know until after the game is released.

Dantis

And the P5 protagonist won't be?

Not with that smirk he won't be.

"But P5's art is not where he'll have his breakthrough."

The game only has one key visual released for it with Soejima art, and one full character line art. This game is also being animated by Production I.G., who animated Ghost in the Shell. That futhers the possibilities of this game having very good animation in scenes, etc. Let's wait for more art to come out before stating that it's not where he'll have his breakthrough. We don't know that yet. If anything, this could be the game where he has his breakthrough. We won't know until after the game is released.

I feel like the key visual tells you a lot about how the protagonist is going to be portrayed. That and Soejima's awful 'profound ruse' comment.

cj_iwakura

Not with that smirk he won't be.

I feel like the key visual tells you a lot about how the protagonist is going to be portrayed. That and Soejima's awful 'profound ruse' comment.

I'm really starting to wonder why you keep making the community threads when you're so cynical about everything Atlus does.

mob21

Banned
Well we really know next to nothing about anything regarding this game, so maybe let's reserve our judgement until E3 passes, or worst case the Blu Ray disc comes and goes

Dantis

No, but I feel like you aren't even that passionate about the series. You complain about the new ones and loathe the old ones.

Mate, you're crackers. I feel like you pull out this comment now and again just to grab some attention. I've never said anything of the sort.

Anyway, I'm incredibly passionate about the series, that's why I'm so critical. I want perfection. I feel like Persona is so close to being a game that could appeal to a huge audience but instead I get closet badasses with cool-guy smirks.

cj_iwakura

Anyway, I'm incredibly passionate about the series, that's why I'm so critical. I want perfection. I feel like Persona is so close to being a game that could appeal to a huge audience but instead I get closet badasses with cool-guy smirks.

You must have been playing a different RPG series than I have for the last 19 years if you think that's gonna change.

Heavenly_Spear

Neo Member
Idk, I'm really digging the art direction of P5 so far. I think it's what will make it stand out amust all those hyper realistic AAA games. I don't think it's incredibly "generic animu~" but, like someone said, has a stylish fun looking art with it's Lupin The 3rd influences.

And tbh, I'm really digging the Protagonist having a "duel" personality , which will be VERY applying to the Western's superhero obsessed market right now.

As for it's presences in E3...I'm guess just an English version of the trailer from Feb. I'd be very pleasantly surprised if we got more than that.

Dantis

I will be forever disappointed that Dojima will never be playable.

I kind of feel like the inclusion of adults in the supernatural side of things pulls it apart. The games are so largely about a group of kids playing hero that when a bigger, more capable character comes in it makes me stop and say "Wait a second...".

You must have been playing a different RPG series than I have for the last 19 years if you think that's gonna change.

Like I say, I feel like P3 to P4 to Catherine was an upwards progression in mainstream appeal, but I feel like P5 is a step back.

Good christ, Dantis, temper down your expectations. You remind me way too much of the people on the Gaming side who hype something to the moon and back, and constantly bitch and whine about how it doesn't meet your sky high expectations.

Just simmer down and enjoy it.

Sophia

Dantis's perfectionism is certainly well known, at any rate. He's definitely not critical out of hate or dislike.

Although being overly passionate can be a big fault in it's own right.

Dantis's perfectionism is certainly well known, at any rate. He's definitely not critical out of hate or dislike.

I know he isn't. But when you constantly strive for perfection, especially in games, all it just leads to is pessimism and negativity. Especially when they don't meet your expectations.

Heavenly_Spear

Neo Member
I kind of feel like the inclusion of adults in the supernatural side of things pulls it apart. The games are so largely about a group of kids playing hero that when a bigger, more capable character comes in it makes me stop and say "Wait a second...".

P2:IS and P2:EP will like to have a word with you.

Dantis

Sophia gets it.

I never said I wasn't flawed, yo.

Someone in the Gaming side once said I was the worst type of super-fan. Probably true, but Atlus shouldn't be too upset as long as I throw money at them.

TIL that smirks mean a game doesn't have mainstream appeal.

I don't know what TIL means, but I don't really like you right now, so I'm okay with it.

P2:IS and P2:EP will like to have a word with you.

This is very much not the point. I was meaning in regards to P3 and P4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom