• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

84X

Banned
So... Persona 5. That's cool and all but...

...but what?

Maybe it just so happens you're one of the ten cool people interested in a rhythm spinoff...
Maybe you can't seem to keep track of the seemingly mountain-sized list of DLC...
Maybe you really want to know what 18% of the track list belongs to Narukami...
this isn't a joke

Well, you could wade through the PSC videos or you could just take a look at these convenient lists: Google Docs Link

Disclaimer: accessories are basically marked as "base game" until proven otherwise and thus highly subject to change.

Edit: props to CrimsonFist for the DLC and song sections.

arue

you could just take a look at these convenient lists: Google Docs Link

Disclaimer: accessories are basically marked as "base game" until proven otherwise and thus highly subject to change.

Edit: props to CrimsonFist for the DLC and song sections.
Thanks for this 84X. I'll definitely use this because there has been so many updates that I haven't been keeping track on :x

Maybe you really want to know what 18% of the track list belongs to Narukami...
this isn't a joke
iOGwFd5JhZtGl.gif

or you could just take a look at these convenient lists: Google Docs Link
Nanako has more songs than everyone else (except Yu).

This game, man. This game.
ijt17QD0X8dPb.gif

OK, so what are the predictions for E3 then?

We already know that DAN will be there, but what presence will P5 have?

Translated version of the trailer? A new trailer? Character reveal?

What do you think?

kiyoaki

I'm putting one symbolic cent on the translated trailer. I'm not expecting anything new, but a translation seems an easy thing to do, and a good way to introduce the game to the part of the international audience that doesn't follow Japanese gaming news.

If they translate the menu screens in the trailer, that would at least give us the official reading for 杏.

Setsu00

If they translate the menu screens in the trailer, that would at least give us the official reading for 杏.

The entire debate surrounding Takamaki's first name is pretty weird if you ask me. The name will most likely be Anzu (maybe An) as that's how you would normally read that kanji in a name.

kiyoaki

I think the one reason the name interests people (or at least me) is because it might give us some hint towards her character background. An(ne) reinforces the blonde gaijin/haafu/Ginko reborn angle, while Anzu would be more conventionally Japanese.

Weiss

Banned
I think the one reason the name interests people (or at least me) is because it might give us some hint towards her character background. An(ne) reinforces the blonde gaijin/haafu/Ginko reborn angle, while Anzu would be more conventionally Japanese.

I'm half convinced she's biracial. Ryuuji already fills the role of the bleach blonde delinquent, and it's not like Persona hasn't had white playable characters before, and it would be visually redundant to have two blonde characters.

Making Anne/Anzu biracial or Caucasian would be a great way to examine a lot of the ingrained racism in Japanese society.

DNAbro

Since I'm usually over optimistic, I'm going with that there will be a new trailer. And that this trailer will be a cut out portion of whatever is on the Blu-Ray.

mob21

Banned
"Kick off" sounds pretty interesting. I'd also like to now how someone would take a pictire woth the P5 hero. Life sized carton cutout?

Why would someone be dissapointed when they have low expactations

Because when you have low expectations, you aren't expecting the game you really want to see to show up. How can you not be disappointed when your most anticipated game won't be showing up.

Aka you are already disappointed from the get go

Since I'm usually over optimistic, I'm going with that there will be a new trailer. And that this trailer will be a cut out portion of whatever is on the Blu-Ray.

My thoughts exactlly. It makes way more sense than a redundant trailer the entire world has already seen from close to 5 months ago

Weiss

Banned
My thoughts exactlly. It makes way more sense than a redundant trailer the entire world has already seen from close to 5 months ago

Well, maybe not? They still haven't uploaded it to their english channel. You have to check out their Japanese one.

Dantis

I'd wait til the game is out to be the judge of that, we really don't know how much content there really is

I'm pretty sure we actually know almost exactly how much content there is.

We also have an idea of how much has been cut out to be sold as DLC, and it is staggering.

Nanako has more songs than everyone else (except Yu).

This game, man. This game.

It's incredible how many bad decisions they're making. Super weird.

How can you not be disappointed when your most anticipated game won't be showing up.

Aka you are already disappointed from the get go

Because it will show up one day. I don't care if it happens tommorow, next week or maybe even in a few months. P5 being at E3 won't change the release date of the actual game.

FluxWaveZ

Because it will show up one day. I don't care if it happens tommorow, next week or maybe even in a few months. P5 being at E3 won't change the release date of the actual game.

Its presence at E3 matters to me because I care about P5 beyond just actually being able to play the game, or even getting more info about it. It's nice to see a series I care about make it big time, and the fact that it's on the badge is already pretty cool.

I think there's a very real difference between being "pessimistic" and "realistic," though. A whole lot of people who have been extremely pessimistic about things concerning P5 recently, thinking they're being "realistic" about things, have actually been the opposite.

Its presence at E3 matters to me because I care about P5 beyond just actually being able to play the game, or even getting more info about it. It's nice to see a series I care about make it big time, and the fact that it's on the badge is already pretty cool.

I think there's a very real difference between being "pessimistic" and "realistic," though. A whole lot of people who have been extremely pessimistic about things concerning P5 recently, thinking they're being "realistic" about things, have actually been the opposite.

I guess it all depends in how invested someone is in the franchise.

Personally I try to look up all the latest news but I don't care enough to really hype myself up for potential announcements.

Sophia

There are still people who give the impression that they think it's going to be delayed into oblivion in the US. >.>;

Though those people might have shut up a little bit now that they know it's going to be at E3 for sure.

Dantis

There are still people who give the impression that they think it's going to be delayed into oblivion in the US. >.>;

Though those people might have shut up a little bit now that they know it's going to be at E3 for sure.

Until I hear otherwise, I'm maintaining that it'll get released this year.

DNAbro

I feel like the pessimism towards the release date is not entirely cause of Persona but because every game seems to get delayed nowadays.

Weiss

Banned
I mean, it was first announced in late 2013, officially revealed a year later when we were expecting it to have been released in Winter 2014, then a few months after that we get a gameplay trailer and complete silence until now.

It's easy to see why people are so skeptic. I'm guessing the Sega buyout and creating a PS4 version are why it's been pushed back.

Side note: I think I grinded too much. I'm just about to fight the killer and I'm level 87 and carrying Helel, Beelzebub, Shiva, Asura, Trumpeter, Sandalphon and Yoshitsune.

FluxWaveZ

While Shin Megami Tensei reveals are usually reserved for Japan, we're optimistic Sony recognizes the potential of its exclusive, and has found a way to convince ATLUS [Japan] that the game should have a presence at E3.
That's precisely what it comes down to, if by "presence at E3" they meant new media and not rehashed. Heh, we'll see...

That's precisely what it comes down to, if by "presence at E3" they meant new media and not rehashed. Heh, we'll see...

Agreed. Atlus needs to step up and use the massive audience E3 provides. There's no point in basically fucking over Atlus USA and giving them the table scraps nearly 5 months later.

Zebetite

Banned

this has essentially been my position re: persona 5 @ e3 since the beginning.

sony's in a bad place for this holiday release window and need as many exclusives as they can get-- and to let people know about them.

persona 5 is a playstation exclusive that, supposedly, is coming out this holiday in NA.

if sony were to, say, offer to help market persona 5 both domestically and abroad, or make any other sort of business deal that's in sony and atlus' mutual best interests, in exchange for persona 5 presence at e3, atlus japan would probably be listening. money talks.

this isn't to say that it's like a 100% guaranteed chance or anything, far from it. but people who act like it's a 0% chance because atlus (japan) doesn't give a shit about america-- well, sony does, and they've got the ability, if they so choose, to make things happen.

this has essentially been my position re: persona 5 @ e3 since the beginning.

sony's in a bad place for this holiday release window and need as many exclusives as they can get-- and to let people know about them.

persona 5 is a playstation exclusive that, supposedly, is coming out this holiday in NA.

if sony were to, say, offer to help market persona 5 both domestically and abroad, or make any other sort of business deal that's in sony and atlus' mutual best interests, in exchange for persona 5 presence at e3, atlus japan would probably be listening. money talks.

this isn't to say that it's like a 100% guaranteed chance or anything, far from it. but people who act like it's a 0% chance because atlus (japan) doesn't give a shit about america-- well, sony does, and they've got the ability, if they so choose, to make things happen.

This is my position as well. Now that UC4 is delayed to 2016, Sony needs some exclusives to balance out multi-plat games they've gotten exclusive rights for. What better way to lure the JRPG crowd then with the hottest JRPG in years?

yuuki

This is my position as well. Now that UC4 is delayed to 2016, Sony needs some exclusives to balance out multi-plat games they've gotten exclusive rights for. What better way to lure the JRPG crowd then with the hottest JRPG in years?

it would be kinda similar to how sony did the marketing for a small game called ff 7 back then.

it would be kinda similar to how sony did the marketing for a small game called ff 7 back then.

Exactly. P5 could be the PS4's FF7 if the cards are parlayed right. And lets be honest, the people who are saying that Atlus JPN doesn't care about America are only saying that because they want to downplay the impact that Persona has had, and are trying to take the hipster "nobody cares about this little series" approach.

The look of P5 just oozes the kind of "cool" style that I enjoy from late to mid 90s anime and Japanese games. Maybe that's just me. But if others see it that way, that style could attract plenty of new fans and lots of old fans who became disenchanted with the genre.

Dantis

The look of P5 just oozes the kind of "cool" style that I enjoy from late to mid 90s anime and Japanese games. Maybe that's just me. But if others see it that way, that style could attract plenty of new fans and lots of old fans who became disenchanted with the genre.

I see Persona 5 as much less appealing to the mainstream (in the West at least) than even something like P4 or Catherine. They've really doubled down on, like you say, a classic anime look.

I think Catherine was a really good step towards expanding their fanbase, but I feel like Persona 5 is two steps back.

I'm sure Japan will go crackers for it though, which I guess is what they aim for.

FluxWaveZ

I think that depends on the crowd, though I don't live there, so I couldn't say for sure.

The same applies for Japan. Just like over there, game press anticipation for the game is extremely high in NA. Then there's the factor of sales, where we know 50% of the entirety of Persona series sales come from outside of Japan.

DNAbro

I see Persona 5 as much less appealing to the mainstream (in the West at least) than even something like P4 or Catherine. They've really doubled down on, like you say, a classic anime look.

I think Catherine was a really good step towards expanding their fanbase, but I feel like Persona 5 is two steps back.

I'm sure Japan will go crackers for it though, which I guess is what they aim for.

I'm curious why you would consider Persona 5 more "anime" than 4 or Catherine. When I think "classic anime" I think DBZ, Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell, which all had mainstream success in America.

The same applies for Japan. Just like over there, game press anticipation for the game is extremely high in NA. Then there's the factor of sales, where we know 50% of the entirety of Persona series sales come from outside of Japan.

Doesn't really say much when there's far more people outside Japan.

Still, hoping to be impressed by what we see.

FluxWaveZ

Doesn't really say much when there's far more people outside Japan.

It says that Western interest for the Persona series now matches Japanese interest for the series, which is actually plenty. Not to mention the fact that, because there are more people outside of Japan like you mention, there is more room for series growth and recognition in North America.

It says that Western interest for the Persona series now matches Japanese interest for the series, which is actually plenty. Not to mention the fact that, because there are more people outside of Japan like you mention, there is more room for series growth and recognition in North America.

Yeah, there's plenty of untapped potential in the overseas markets.

Though now I wonder if the JP devs will eventually start making games specifically made to appeal to westerners...
You know, based purely on other countries having a larger market share.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom