• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heavenly_Spear

Neo Member
Tbh, it'd be nice to have at least a couple adult playable characters (not including P4A/U SEES members) as I'm getting progressively older than the teenage cast... >__<;

Isn't the protag of Strange Journey a straight-up adult marine? (and iirc American depending on the localization)
The occasional adult lead in a franchise full of teenagers wouldn't exactly be unwelcome.

It's something to consider for the future, at least.

Dantis

Isn't the protag of Strange Journey a straight-up adult marine? (and iirc American depending on the localization)
The occasional adult lead in a franchise full of teenagers wouldn't exactly be unwelcome.

It's something to consider for the future, at least.

The cast of SJ was deliberately varied when it came to nationality in order to try and appeal to a wider audience. The art is also a distinct step away from anime compared to Kaneko's already pretty distinct style.

The cast of SJ was deliberately varied when it came to nationality in order to try and appeal to a wider audience. The art is also a distinct step away from anime compared to Kaneko's already pretty distinct style.

Interesting choice. How did it end up doing, commercially?

Tamanon

Banned
I think young adults could easily work as protagonists if written right. While there's a lot of self-discovery as a teenager, there's almost as much when you're independent in the world for the first time.

Heavenly_Spear

Neo Member
College level cast?
That'd work, even thought I just finished college and am entering my field's workforce. OTL. Siigh time goes by soo fast.
I think young adults could easily work as protagonists if written right. While there's a lot of self-discovery as a teenager, there's almost as much when you're independent in the world for the first time.
Exactly, as I'm going through this rn. Tbh, I think there a MANY stages in life where one has to figure themselves out as they enter into new milestones and whatnot. Not saying we should have a Persona: Retirement home edition or anything lmao.
"Come to me...! Ah, damn, what's my persona's name again?"

cj_iwakura

I don't have a Vita tho, and I did have a PSP, I'm just trying to get it back first.

This could be you!

VITA_You_got_one.gif

College level cast?
That'd be great. There's a real dearth of college age content in Japan overall anyways.
I don't know what TIL means, but I don't really like you right now, so I'm okay with it.
Oh rest assured the feeling is very much mutual.

"TIL" means "today I learned." And today I learned that smirks and "closet badasses" don't appeal to the mainstream. Definitely enlightening news to me.

Tamanon

Banned
I'm not sure why anyone even wants something to become "mainstream" to begin with. As long as Atlus is making a good profit making games I love, more power to them.

Neku89

I bought the 3 PSP Personas while they were on sale a few weeks ago on PSN and decided to play the series chronologically, starting with Persona 1. I found the game much, much better than I expected, a bit overwhelming on the gameplay side (there's, like, 30 elements in this game!) but I've played more convoluted JRPGs so that's fine. My only gripe is that... I'm almost stuck in the Black Market ATM.

I'm playing on Easy and my team is around level 26. I went through the dungeon once, met the boss, got teleported back, all fine. The problem is that the current dungeon's enemies are starting to screw my party, especially with status effects (fuck you forever, Marin Karin). Moreover, I've ran out of Personas to fuse, and I'm stuck with terrible ones like Lilim (which is, admittedly, useful against status effects, but her offensive options are awful). There's some good Personas I can fuse once I gain some levels, but grinding is painful since whoever needs the experience - everyone but Maki and Mark - doesn't currently have the offensive capabilities to rack up more than 200 EXP per battle. Reiji in particular is at lower level than the others (lv. 24), has his starting Persona and worst compatibility with the ones I can fuse, and deals pitiful damage except on enemies weak to Death skills.

TL;DR: Persona 1, Black Market, enemies are getting too strong/vicious and I'm feeling a little hopeless. Is there a quick way - at least, quicker than slowly grinding on the dungeon's first floor - to put the game back on track?

cj_iwakura

This line seems off to me...

<COLOR=YL>&#12456;&#12522;&#12540;<COLOR=WT><LINE>&#9166;
&#12362;&#12381;&#12425;&#12367;&#20154;&#12398;&#24184;&#12289;&#19981;&#24184;&#12434;&#26126;&#30906;&#12395;&#24046;&#21029;&#21270;&#12377;&#12427;<LINE>&#9166;
&#12527;&#12531;&#12525;&#12531;&#21344;&#12356;&#12398;&#24615;&#36074;&#12364;&#12289;&#20154;&#12293;&#12398;&#22956;&#12415;&#12434;&#24375;&#12417;&#12289;<LINE>&#9166;
&#12371;&#12398;&#21610;&#12356;&#12434;&#12371;&#12371;&#12414;&#12391;&#27969;&#34892;&#12425;&#12379;&#12383;&#12398;&#12391;&#12375;&#12423;&#12358;&#12290;&#9166;

<00052680>
<COLOR=YL>Elly<COLOR=WT><LINE>
It's likely that the nature of Wang Long discerned<LINE>
between happiness and unhappiness, made<LINE>
envy stronger, and the curse popular.

Thoughts?

Sophia

This line seems off to me...

Thoughts?

Change "made" to "making", perhaps? Seems more natural when I read it that way. Mind you, that's out of context.

"It's likely that the nature of Wang Long discerned between happiness and unhappiness, made envy stronger, and the curse popular."

"It's likely that the nature of Wang Long discerned between happiness and unhappiness, making envy stronger, and the curse popular."

Dantis

What's the definition of mainstream that you guys are using, Call of Duty mainstream? TLOU mainstream?

When I say "break into the mainstream", I mean that people outside of a specific fanbase might be aware/interested.

So you can say "JRPG fans are interested in Persona 5", but it's a given. If my friend who doesn't play JRPGs and has no interest in anime is interested or even aware of it, then it's possibly broken out of its niche (to me) and has started to come into the mainstream.

cj_iwakura

Change "made" to "making", perhaps? Seems more natural when I read it that way. Mind you, that's out of context.

"It's likely that the nature of Wang Long discerned between happiness and unhappiness, made envy stronger, and the curse popular."

"It's likely that the nature of Wang Long discerned between happiness and unhappiness, making envy stronger, and the curse popular."

Yeah, that flows better. I'm a little worried about the original meaning, though. There's a translator on the team, I'm just editing, but I'd like to tweak it as needed.

Sophia

Yeah, that flows better. I'm a little worried about the original meaning, though. There's a translator on the team, I'm just editing, but I'd like to tweak it as needed.

Might be best to rewrite the line entirely if the past tense is needed. Or separate it into two sentences, such as this:

"It's likely that the nature of Wang Long discerned between happiness and unhappiness. Envy made stronger, and the curse popular."

Weiss

Banned
Well, that's Persona 4, two playthroughs and 150 hours later.

More than anything, I think P4's biggest strength is the varied and loveable cast. Every character shines
except worst girl Yukiko
, and the Social Links have minor characters better written than the main casts of some games. In particular, having Social Links for your party members allowed for them to play their roles in the main story without detracting from it for character development scenes, and tying character development into actual gameplay rewards was an ingenious idea to have you keep getting invested in each character's story.

There's a couple niggling flaws about the game, like the strict time limit, and gameplay elements from P3 stripped down like getting items from Personae, multiple weapon types, and characters who could have multiple roles in combat. I wonder if I should give P3 another try again, since while the cast isn't as well written, the A-Plot is also really good. I hope Persona 5 brings the best of both worlds.

Or hell, maybe I'll give Persona 2 another shot.

cj_iwakura

Might be best to rewrite the line entirely if the past tense is needed. Or separate it into two sentences, such as this:

"It's likely that the nature of Wang Long discerned between happiness and unhappiness. Envy made stronger, and the curse popular."

The context is that Elly's investigating Wang Long Chizuru and how she's using Wang Long(fortune telling) to spread the Joker Curse.

Sophia

The context is that Elly's investigating Wang Long Chizuru and how she's using Wang Long(fortune telling) to spread the Joker Curse.

Right. But without knowing the specific lines, I can't tell if the past tense is needed or not. Although I don't think it'd be needed based off the sentence itself.

YYYYYESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

This guy knows what's up. Yukiko is trash.

I will burn you. :|

When I say "break into the mainstream", I mean that people outside of a specific fanbase might be aware/interested.

So you can say "JRPG fans are interested in Persona 5", but it's a given. If my friend who doesn't play JRPGs and has no interest in anime is interested or even aware of it, then it's possibly broken out of its niche (to me) and has started to come into the mainstream.

That seems like a fair definition.

Anyway, I can see a game where you play as a smooth thief having more mainstream appeal than a game where you shoot yourself in the head.

Personally I think that the most limiting factor of Persona is the fact that it is a turn based J-rpg. Which P5 also seems to adress a bit with the more action based dungeon crawling that they've shown us already

Zebetite

Banned

The phrase "discerned between happiness and unhappiness," is what's got me scratching my head. Mostly because I have no idea what Wang Long is or does (outside of apparently being fortune telling).

My gut tells me, "It's likely that the nature of Wang Long&#8212;discerning between happiness and unhappiness&#8212;made envy stronger, and the curse popular." in the event that this Wang Long thing involves discerning between happiness and unhappiness, but again, I have no idea what it actually is so you're gonna have to remain the authority on this one.

Dantis

She's not like, Ken or anything, but compared to the rest of the colourful, well developed cast, she falls kind of flat, and they repeat that laughing fit gag way too often.

Wait until you play the spinoff games, where she's defined by her poor cooking skills.

That seems like a fair definition.

Anyway, I can see a game where you play as a smooth thief having more mainstream appeal than a game where you shoot yourself in the head.

Personally I think that the most limiting factor of Persona is the fact that it is a turn based J-rpg. Which P5 also seems to adress a bit with the more action based dungeon crawling that they've shown us already

I think the thief or the head shooting would be fine if presented right. I just think that the thief as it seems to be presented right now is not going to appeal to people outside of its specifically targeted audience. The design isn't stylish or cool enough, I don't think. It looks... daft?

The line has been crossed.

gW5psV3.png

SORRY FOR NOT LIKING BAD CHARACTERS, MAN

The line has been crossed.

He's right though. Yukiko pales in comparison to the rest of the cast. Her whole character is based on gimmicks, even the writers didn't know what do with her if you look at PQ. She's basically some sort of demon in that game.

I think the thief or the head shooting would be fine if presented right. I just think that the thief as it seems to be presented right now is not going to appeal to people outside of its specifically targeted audience. The design isn't stylish or cool enough, I don't think. It looks... daft?

The thief (and other things in P5) all look pretty stylish to me. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

cj_iwakura

Well that only took an hour!

And it was only the text from visiting different shops during the Wang Long arc.

Yeeeeesh.

Also, the Count is a dick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom