• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nachos

This line seems off to me...

Thoughts?

Definitely add a comma after "Wang Long." Then you can remove the comma after "stronger," though it works both ways.

Elly: "It's likely that the nature of Wang Long, discerned between happiness and unhappiness, made envy stronger and the curse popular."

It's hard to suggest anything beyond that without knowing the context or why it feels off. Is "unhappiness" meant to mean sadness or just the lack of happiness with nothing else to replace it?

Change "made" to "making", perhaps? Seems more natural when I read it that way. Mind you, that's out of context.
The problem with that change is that it turns the translation into a sentence fragment, since there aren't any helper verbs. You'd have to get rid of "that," too.

EDIT: Whoops, forgot to update the thread, and now I've embarrassed myself at the top of the page.

Swedesu

It's weird how many awesome character moments there are in the stores in both of the P2 games. Feels like a strange thing to put so much effort in creating when most people probably won't even see it.

Doesn't stop it from being one of the best things about those games though. And it seems to me like the social links in later games stemmed from this in some ways.

Weiss

Banned
They repeat a lot of character tics way too often.

Oh sure, but I felt they were better integrated.

Like, Yosuke teases Kanji a lot over his sexuality issues, but that felt less like a poorly timed joke and more like something Yosuke would bring up a lot because he's an immature dick.

Teddie's perverse comments, Chie's hunger for meat, Rise finding ways to hit the on the protagonist, and other scenes like that felt like genuine character moments, and not like a giant brick to the face Yukiko's laughing felt like, where everything just stops for no reason.

Sophia

The problem with that change is that it turns the translation into a sentence fragment, since there aren't any helper verbs. You'd have to get rid of "that," too.

EDIT: Whoops, forgot to update the thread, and now I've embarrassed myself at the top of the page.

Oops, you're right. Missed that myself. So it'd be basically what you said.

Oh sure, but I felt they were better integrated.

Like, Yosuke teases Kanji a lot over his sexuality issues, but that felt less like a poorly timed joke and more like something Yosuke would bring up a lot because he's an immature dick.

Teddie's perverse comments, Chie's hunger for meat, Rise finding ways to hit the on the protagonist, and other scenes like that felt like genuine character moments, and not like a giant brick to the face Yukiko's laughing felt like, where everything just stops for no reason.

Eh, I'd disagree with that and felt that they were all various shades of grating.

I also felt like Kanji's dork-ness was the least grating and was generally done pretty well. Kanji's da best, though

Weiss

Banned
Eh, I'd disagree with that and felt that they were all various shades of grating.

I also felt like Kanji's dork-ness was the least grating and was generally done pretty well. Kanji's da best, though

Basically I'm glad I never got too deep into any of the spin-offs or played Golden, all of which added completely unncessary, unfunny character moments that exaggerate the characters' traits for no reason, making them seem less like the realized people they are and more like generic high school anime bullshit.

That Golden made the Hot Spring scene even worse than it already was is practically miraculous.

Mr_Joe

Playing P4 now, I'm really surprised at how down-to-earth the main cast is. Everyone has their tics, but they're pretty infrequent and pop up at reasonable moments.

Unlike P3, where the cast is a bunch of cartoon characters.

arue

I am remembering this bet.
Wait so do you agree to the bet? I already have Vox and HohoXD123 betting with me. And I think Gooch will join too, if he's up to it.

I will say it again: there will be no significant P5 news at E3.
2-3 seconds of new footage, new screenshots, new character design, and new trailer (not english version of old trailers) will count as significant and my loss in the avatar bet.

PK Gaming

Playing P4 now, I'm really surprised at how down-to-earth the main cast is. Everyone has their tics, but they're pretty infrequent and pop up at reasonable moments.

906_display.png

Say that again, I dare you

FluxWaveZ

Wait so do you agree to the bet? I already have Vox and HohoXD123 betting with me. And I think Gooch will join too, if he's up to it.

I will say it again: there will be no significant P5 news at E3.
2-3 seconds of new footage, new screenshots, new character design, and new trailer (not english version of old trailers) will count as significant and my loss in the avatar bet.

I'm not going to bet against someone if there's nothing in it for me; you've already got two opponents.

I'm just saying I think you're going to end up with another avatar soon.

Weiss

Banned
906_display.png

Other than Junpei and Aigis, I wasn't super crazy about any of them. Shinji and Mitsuru are really cool, Koromaru is a magical dog and therefore awesome, and Akihiko and Yukari are bland beyond their respective awakenings. Fuuka is a complete non-entity, and Ken is the single worst party member in Persona history.

On average they're okay, but they don't hold a candle to P4's cast.

Other than Junpei and Aigis, I wasn't super crazy about any of them. Shinji and Mitsuru are really cool, Koromaru is a magical dog and therefore awesome, and Akihiko and Yukari are bland beyond their respective awakenings. Fuuka is a complete non-entity, and Ken is the single worst party member in Persona history.

On average they're okay, but they don't hold a candle to P4's cast.

Did you play Persona 3 Portable? I found I enjoyed the cast of P3 a bit more after playing as the female protag since you get a social link with everyone in SEES.

Weiss

Banned
Did you play Persona 3 Portable? I found I enjoyed the cast of P3 a bit more after playing as the female protag since you get a social link with everyone in SEES.

I did not. I've only played FES up til October or so when the boring Social Links and AI party members got to me and I couldn't keep going.

I don't have a PSP, but if I ever get one or a Vita I'll probably give P3P a shot, but I'm not a fan of the Visual Novel interface.

Actually, are there any Vita games worth owning besides Persona 4: Golden and Danganronpa? Gravity Rush and Tearaway are coming to PS4, aren't they?

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
I did not. I've only played FES up til October or so when the boring Social Links and AI party members got to me and I couldn't keep going.

I don't have a PSP, but if I ever get one or a Vita I'll probably give P3P a shot, but I'm not a fan of the Visual Novel interface.

Actually, are there any Vita games worth owning besides Persona 4: Golden and Danganronpa? Gravity Rush and Tearaway are coming to PS4, aren't they?

I liked Freedom wars.

PK Gaming

Tearaway, Freedom Wars, FFX/X-2 and Gravity Rush are worth checking out.

Mr_Joe

906_display.png

Yukari is the absolute worst. She's just mean and unpleasant. Fuuka is a nonentity at best and annoying at worst. Akihiko and Shinjiro are just kinda there. Aigis is alright, but her whole deal (what is this emotion you call love) is a bit melodramatic. Ken is Ken, unfortunately. And I love Mitsuru, but her character is just awful. The game repeatedly just tells you how smart she is when the story and gameplay make her a goddamn moron.

On the other hand, Koromaru is an awesome dog and Junpei is my favorite character in the series.

I don't think Gravity Rush has been confirmed for PS4 yet. But besides that, not really haha. I love the Vita but it's basically my Persona and indie games machine.

*edit: Virtue's Last Reward is amazing but it's also on 3DS

p4s characters are way more anime and cartooney then persona 3s

In P4, my least fav character is Rise, who annoys me, but I can tell is a good person at heart.

In P3, my least fav character is Akihiko, who trivializes what the cast has gone through and went on to be the most insufferable character in the spinoffs, which is an achievement.

Sophia

As everyone no doubt knows, my favorite character is Ken.

Yup.

The system has a whole ton of good games. Tearaway PS4 will be a pretty difference experience from the original Vita game. Also check out the Ys games and the various indie titles if you haven't played them on PC.

Xenoflare

In P4, my least fav character is Rise, who annoys me, but I can tell is a good person at heart.

In P3, my least fav character is Akihiko, who trivializes what the cast has gone through and went on to be the most insufferable character in the spinoffs, which is an achievement.

Akihiko is one of those characters who made a good impression on me but then completely went under the bus in the end. His spin off iterations are horrid. But I must sound like a broken record now.

Junpei however is the complete opposite. I hated him in the beginning, but it wasn't until much later (years since first playing P3) for me to really like him. His FeMC slink is pretty nice too.

Though it just felt awkward later on since Atlus realized having Junpei a romanceable character would conflict with Chidori.

Akihiko is one of those characters who made a good impression on me but then completely went under the bus in the end. His spin off iterations are horrid. But I must sound like a broken record now.

Junpei however is the complete opposite. I hated him in the beginning, but it wasn't until much later (years since first playing P3) for me to really like him. His FeMC slink is pretty nice too.

Though it just felt awkward later on since Atlus realized having Junpei a romanceable character would conflict with Chidori.

Junpei was the best part of The Answer, to the point I was asking why he wasn't the new protagonist.

Imagine it. He finally gets the power he was jealous of, but only after his friend dies.

Xenoflare

Junpei was the best part of The Answer, to the point I was asking why he wasn't the new protagonist.

Imagine it. He finally gets the power he was jealous of, but only after his friend dies.

To be perfectly honest, I would agree too.

I actually did not understand the story's focus on Aigis in P3/FES. I thought Yukari was going to be "first girl" and Junpei for The Answer. Buuuuuut that is just me

To be perfectly honest, I would agree too.

I actually did not understand the story's focus on Aigis in P3/FES. I thought Yukari was going to be "first girl" and Junpei for The Answer. Buuuuuut that is just me

I get the idea it's cause Aigis was the beakout character. Shame they had to shill her at the expense of the others.
That only ends up resulting in backlash against the would-be fave.

I have a pretty intense bet with a friend in real life over Persona 5 showing up in some capacity. If I win he has to admit DMC 2 is his favorite game ever.

Nimby

Banned
I wonder if that's why nobody in SEES carries a gun, and Takaya doesn't use an evoker.

Even though it's got SEES imprinted on the side, along with the odd shape.

Maybe. I guess you would know the difference if you were cool and collected, but probably not otherwise.

It would make for an interesting prank in Persona Q, switch Naoto's revolver with an evoker.

If I win he has to admit DMC 2 is his favorite game ever.

Your friend's got some balls.

wmlk

I think the thief or the head shooting would be fine if presented right. I just think that the thief as it seems to be presented right now is not going to appeal to people outside of its specifically targeted audience. The design isn't stylish or cool enough, I don't think. It looks... daft?

People I know who have no idea what Persona is described the game and thief motif as stylish and cool. The reveal thread from back in February had a bunch of people who never played the games complimenting the look. Podcasts and impressions from people who never played the games showed a lot of excitement.

Being a thief in a sprawling city like Tokyo is a really cool thing to a lot of people.

I think if you were to describe just the visuals in words, it would be a lot more interesting than P4 and P3.

People I know who have no idea what Persona is described the game and thief motif as stylish and cool. The reveal thread from back in February had a bunch of people who never played the games complimenting the look. Podcasts and impressions from people who never played the games showed a lot of excitement.

Being a thief in a sprawling city like Tokyo is a really cool thing to a lot of people.

I think if you were to describe just the visuals in words, it would be a lot more interesting than P4 and P3.

I saw this happening in a lot of different comment sections/forums round the internet when the first trailer went up. The game oozes style and it's piqued the curiosity of plenty of folks who have never looked into Persona before.

(resisting urge to argue about certain P3 statements in the last page or so...)

Going back to the topic of E3...

Hoping more combat is shown, and hoping Social links are shown to be more progressive than just ranks.

Although that's almost too ambitious to expect since we have gotten nearly nothing in the past year

Makio

(
Hoping more combat is shown, and hoping Social links are shown to be more progressive than just ranks.

It's easier to think they going to show gameplay in the Blu Ray than E3.

But at this point is kinda hard guess since the Blu Ray content is a mystery and Atlus want "to kick off" P5 ... so they can show more than the first PV01.

Still we are couple of days left ... the hype is real.

:|

That "kick off" part seems convincing that there will be P5 news, but I'll wait until Judgement day to see my own (and the other 2 people's) fate.

Never been in avatar bet and it seems exciting. If it's not too late I would like in. I think no matter how small we will see something new. If not, meh. I could use a new avatar anyway.

(resisting urge to argue about certain P3 statements in the last page or so...)

Going back to the topic of E3...

Although that's almost too ambitious to expect since we have gotten nearly nothing in the past year

Me too man, me too :( As for social links, I just want them better integrated into the story or they have some impact on the world rather than being self-contained, but I'll take what I can get.

Dantis

Fight me in real life.

I genuinely dislike Naoto's romance because it takes her gender identity issues and just turns them into fanservice shit.

I would absolutely debate this.

No worries man, i'm here to clear things up:

See it turns out...You do!

YOU'RE FUNNY, PK.

REAL FUNNY.

The thief (and other things in P5) all look pretty stylish to me. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

I guess. When I say stylish, I mean in terms of fashions and trends, which I definitely wouldn't say that the Phantom fits into. It actually reminds me of a Mark Millar or Garth Ennis comic, when they try to do 'gritty' and realistic depictions of superhero outfits. The problem is that Soejima's only gone halfway with it, so he's said "Here's an outfit made up of real clothing BUT WOAH IT'S A VIDEOGAME SO HALF OF IT IS DUMB HAHAHA". Like, what the heck is up with the pattern on his shirt? It looks awful.

I mean, it's all anecdotal, but my point is what it has been this whole time: I don't think this aesthetic will particularly appeal to people outside of the target audience.

I mean, it's all anecdotal, but my point is what it has been this whole time: I don't think this aesthetic will particularly appeal to people outside of the target audience.

What kind of style would appeal to people outside of the target audience then? How would you say P5's aesthetic compares to the other Persona games in terms of appealing to mainstream audiences?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom