• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FluxWaveZ

So now that we know no new footage is a certainty at E3...what are the chances we get a solid release date for the Americas?

We don't know this. It's like the people who were jumping to conclusions during the News Flash! Persona Channel 2013 tease thinking it was going to be about an iOS game.

We have, like, 10 hours left. We'll find out soon enough.

We don't know this. It's like the people who were jumping to conclusions during the News Flash! Persona Channel 2013 stream thinking it was going to be about an iOS game.

Considering that we got the idea of what the Blu-Ray would contain, I think it's fairly certain there won't be. If there is, it won't be substantial.

DNAbro

We don't know this. It's like the people who were jumping to conclusions during the News Flash! Persona Channel 2013 tease thinking it was going to be about an iOS game.

Well those people were stupid. There was overwhelming evidence something was coming. This one has much less. But yeah let's wait and see, now I will be surprised/ecstatic if something is shown.

MSMrRound

it's fairly certain there won't be.

Like Flux said, Sony's E3 conference is not over yet. Just give it a few more hours before we go "it's dead and buried!"

Well, either way we are getting new P5 footage by the 26th of June, possibly followed by more information in the upcoming Persona magazine on the 29th. I'm fine with that.

So now that we know no new footage is a certainty at E3...what are the chances we get a solid release date for the Americas?
image.php

This will be even more relevant soon.

Theodoricos

Whether there'll be any new footage at E3, what are you guys most excited to see revealed? A look at some of the characters? Dungeon design and gameplay? More insight into what the plot of the game is going to be like?

Apart from release dates, that is.

Whether there'll be any new footage at E3, what are you guys most excited to see revealed? A look at some of the characters? Dungeon design and gameplay? More insight into what the plot of the game is going to be like?

I want a bit of everything. Just PV1 with different content.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I'd be super happy with the full intro sequence. It'd be a nice way to introduce the cast, and what we saw of it in the last trailer was really cool.

That and more menus.

I want more music and a look at how some of the systems work, see how combat and social links have changed. I'd like to know what the other party member personas are going to be as well.

Nimby

Banned

I would just like some more info on the battle system and a release date.

I want to see what they did to Social Links and what the music is like. That and a date would be rad.

muteki

I'd be happy with any localized material, confirmation of release date.

I hope to have my hands on the P5 bd sometime next week so I'll be content if that is how long I have to wait for new media.

Tamanon

Banned
Minor update to the Japanese Persona 5 website. First one in 3 months.

Code:
<li><a href="http://p-ch.jp/news/detail/?nid=305" target="_blank"><span class="date">2015.06.15</span><span class="text">P4D&#20808;&#30528;&#36092;&#20837;&#29305;&#20856;&#12300;&#12302;&#12506;&#12523;&#12477;&#12490;&#65301;&#12303;&#12473;&#12506;&#12471;&#12515;&#12523;&#26144;&#20687;Blu-ray&#12301;&#12398;&#12472;&#12515;&#12465;&#12483;&#12488;&#65286;&#20869;&#23481;&#20844;&#38283;&#65281;</span></a></li>

Just a link to the P-ch update about the Blu-ray it seems.

I was just happy my comparison script was still working after all and I got my email notification of the change!

Hello, everybody!

I'm just another huge fan of the Persona series who also happens to be new to NeoGAF as a whole. My account got accepted only a few days ago, and I primarily made it so that I could hopefully be a part of this community. I've been lurking for a while but I've been unable to post until now.

I'm very passionate about the series and I'm incredibly hyped for Persona 5. I'm so stoked that I'm pretty positive that I'll have to import it from the US once it gets released. As a European fan, it's unfortunate that the game will most likely come out at a much later date here, and I simply cannot wait that long!

I'm never good at introduction posts, so I hope this will do. At any rate, I hope that I become a regular here!

Welcome. Let's start with this:

1) What is your favorite persona character?
2) favorite persona game
3) favorite persona song
4) favorite persona scene
5) favorite persona
6) favorite s.link
7) Do you still think that Persona 5 will come out in 2015 in North America? How many months after the Japanese release?

Theodoricos

Welcome. Let's start with this:

1) What is your favorite persona character?
2) favorite persona game
3) favorite persona song
4) favorite persona scene
5) favorite persona
6) favorite s.link
7) Do you still think that Persona 5 will come out in 2015? How many months after the Japanese release?

Thank you for the welcome! Hmm, let's see...

1) Yukiko Amagi
2) Persona 4
3) The Almighty
4) The ending cutscene of Persona 4 (the original)
5) Torn between Yamata no Orochi, Mithra and Scathach
6) Emperor (Kanji)
7) I can't really say. I'm hoping it will come out in 2015, but I think it'll be only in Japan, probably in December. Maybe Q1 2016 for NA.

Dantis

Someone explain to me right now how Yukiko is anything but a boring and slightly mean character who people only like because she's pretty.

Someone explain to me right now how Yukiko is anything but a boring and slightly mean character who people only like because she's pretty.

the weebs need a submissive asian character to project their fantasies upon

It really defeats the purpose of a friendly, introduction quiz if the only response possible is attacking that person's choice of favourite character or calling them a "weeb." It's supposed to be a welcoming community guys, act like it.

Theodoricos

I find her the most grounded of all characters, actually. The theme of her social link, standing up for her own desires, was also very relatable to me personally. I don't get where you're coming from when you talk about her being mean, though.

And I just think she's funny. I find the scene in Club Escapade hilarious because of her.

I don't like what they did with her from vanilla Persona 4 onwards, though.

Nimby

Banned

The whole cast is pretty boring and nothing but hit-and-run anime stereotypes.

Not dissing the cast, they were pretty enjoyable, but certainly not anything special.

Theodoricos

Not dissing the cast, they were pretty enjoyable, but certainly not anything special.

Actually I find that a lot of people find the Persona 4 cast compelling precisely because they were written to defy these stereotypes rather than being straight examples of them.

DNAbro

what do you even like about the game? One of the main things I hear that people love about Persona is how fantastic the cast is and is probably my main reason for loving the game.

Actually I find that a lot of people find the Persona 4 cast compelling precisely because they were written to defy these stereotypes rather than being straight examples of them.

A shame the Arena games didn't do the developed characters justice.

Q did alright, but that's probably in part due to the length of an RPG compared to a fighting game.

what do you even like about the game? One of the main things I hear that people love about Persona is how fantastic the cast is and is probably my main reason for loving the game.
I do think that if you took each character on their own they're not necessarily all that compelling. They function best as a complete cast, not necessarily as individual characters. At least in my mind.
the weebs need a submissive asian character to project their fantasies upon
God almighty. She's my favorite but that's not why.
Well that escalated quickly.
This is typically what happens when you start waifu war bait discussions.

aravuus

It really defeats the purpose of a friendly, introduction quiz if the only response possible is attacking that person's choice of favourite character or calling them a "weeb." It's supposed to be a welcoming community guys, act like it.

Yeah lol

Welcome to the thread motherfucker, your opinion is terrible

Seriously though, welcome Theodoricos

Nimby

Banned

Their socials links do put them leagues above P3 characters. I still feel like I've seen these sorts of arcs before, but they were very entertaining nonetheless.

I said they were enjoyable lol. It's one of my main concerns from P5, new interesting characters,

Solais

Neo Member
1) Tatsuya Suou
2) Persona 2: Eternal Punishment
3) Striptease
4) Tatsuya
saying goodbye at the end of EP
5) Apollo
6) Chie's
7) Hell no (would love to be wrong), probably 6 months after JPN release.

Theodoricos

Hah, it's alright. I'm used to people not really understanding why I like Yukiko. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

A shame the Arena games didn't do the developed characters justice.

Yeah, that's partially why I believe the characters have been exaggerated since vanilla Persona 4 and they've become more stereotypical as time goes on.

That said, I've only played Arena and Golden. Haven't tried out Ultimax or Q.

Dantis

I find her the most grounded of all characters, actually. The theme of her social link, standing up for her own desires, was also very relatable to me personally. I don't get where you're coming from when you talk about her being mean, though.

And I just think she's funny. I find the scene in Club Escapade hilarious because of her.

I don't like what they did with her from vanilla Persona 4 onwards, though.

I can see how people can associate with her social link, for sure.

Yeah, that's partially why I believe the characters have been exaggerated since vanilla Persona 4 and they've become more stereotypical as time goes on.

This is definitely true.

1) Tatsuya Suou
2) Persona 2: Eternal Punishment
3) Striptease
4) Tatsuya
saying goodbye at the end of EP
5) Apollo
6) Chie's
7) Hell no (would love to be wrong), probably 6 months after JPN release.

Striptease as in the P4 dungeon song? That's an interesting choice to say the least.

Hah, it's alright. I'm used to people not really understanding why I like Yukiko. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

That said, I've only played Arena and Golden. Haven't tried out Ultimax or Q.

Ultimax' story is hot garbage. Avoid it if you just want the fighter.
Q is slow and kind of unbalanced in terms of party members, but full of great character moments, awesome music, and an amazing final act.

Xenoflare

Ultimax' story is hot garbage. Avoid it if you just want the fighter.
Q is slow and kind of unbalanced in terms of party members, but full of great character moments, awesome music, and an amazing final act.

I am still very salty about how magic is useless barring Hama/Mudo/Ailments

Seriously how can Ma-dyne spells cost more than Mahammon.

That and the total lack of SP regen abilities.
Unless of course I've been hallucinating and Victory Cry never replenished SP along with HP at the end of battle?

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
That and the total lack of SP regen abilities.
Unless of course I've been hallucinating and Victory Cry never replenished SP along with HP at the end of battle?

You can get Nav skills that regenerate as you walk around. The good one comes from Attis (level 74 I think), so it's pretty late game.

Yeah. Phsycial attackers were super OP in Q. I can't even remember a moment where I did something useful with magic.

For whatever reason, I could listen to Striptease on endless loop. Didn't help that I power leveled in there endlessly. Eventually, I just ended up loving it.

I've got a soft spot for it too. It's just unusual since I almost see nobody mentioning it when they name their favorite music.

Theodoricos

I really like Striptease myself. One of my favorite dungeon tracks to be sure, fits the dungeon itself really well.

Yeah, it's on my to-buy list if I ever get a 3DS. I've mostly heard positive things about it and I've been digging the soundtrack too.

Solais

Neo Member
Let's be friends

As a dungeon song I think it works well. It doesn't suffer by getting chopped up and interrupted by entering fights, at least.

Haha. P2:EP was my first persona game that I owned. I remember buying it in Electronics Boutique on PSX after walking by it because the cover with Maya looked interesting. I rented Persona 1 from Blockbuster and remember thinking, "What in the hell is this?" I completely forgot about it after I returned it until I bought P2.

I think that's the intended effect. I can't help but think that Yukiko was written with a bit of cynicism. "the weebs need a submissive asian character to project their fantasies upon." Basically Yukiko was created with the same sentiment as Silver Arrows. Perhaps that doesn't make her pleasant, but in my opinion, that is what makes her a good character and distinct from the other women of the cast.

The idea behind Yukiko is similar to the "dumb blonde" trope in the West. You can be attracted to someone's outward appearance or their reputation. However, that's no indication of who they are when you know them in person. And there's a good chance, even if the person is great, that they don't match the pedestal you initially put them on. So not only for your sake, but also for the sake of the person you're trying to make connections with, you should get over being superficial. I think that's really appropriate for a game that's about seeking the truth.

The flaw in Yukiko I think, is that they don't go full on subverting her being a yamato nadeshiko. They add occasional quirks, which are never portrayed in a good light. That is why, along with the game's comparisons with Chie, I think the writing is rooted in cynicism.

Theodoricos

That does match up with Yosuke saying that Yukiko turned out much different than he initially thought she would be like after she joins the Investigation Team.

KakesuSora

Hey everybody. I'm not exactly new, but I guess i'm new in here. Nice to meet you all!

1) What is your favorite persona character? Junpei da god
2) favorite persona game? Persona 3
3) favorite persona song? Memories of the Garden easily
4) favorite persona scene? This is a hard one but I'd probably say the true ending of P4G
5) favorite persona? Orobas
6) favorite s.link? Yukari
7) Do you still think that Persona 5 will come out in 2015 in North America? How many months after the Japanese release?I 100% believe it's gonna come out here still and I think it'll be in the same month or the next.

To add to the idea of Yukiko's flaw, I don't think there's anything wrong with that kind of character. But it's more appropriate for a side character like Hanako and Kashiwagi. It doesn't work in the way Persona uses its main cast. They need to be personable so the player cares about their development and struggle. It's what separates the Kanjis from the Kenjis.

jzbluz

Yukiko was my favorite because I found her to be the prettiest, and I'm shallow. I don't think I expected her to be a certain way because I had no issues with her social link (unlike Mitsuru who's like my favorite female from P3/P4 but whose sl sucked). But nowadays I'm somewhat indifferent to all the female characters, so I don't really like her like I used to.

I'm more than ready to move away from the P3/P4 characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom