• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jachaos

I thought there'd be something considering the badge but of course they'd keep their biggest announcements for their biggest game for their biggest market. I know P4G sold a lot outside of Japan but consider that Europe was asleep during the conference and all Persona-related merch and spinoffs sell more in JP. So it is what it is, PV02 showing up next week instead of tonight was completely expected and logical.

I don't understand how there wasn't anything from PV01 in any montage or a mention like at PSX, but as far as any new content goes it's easy to understand why we weren't going to see anything tonight.

Heavenly_Spear

Neo Member
LMao, patients! Who every said it was better to lower one's expectations was right. P5 n sho at E3? No problem, pV2 next week! :)

@Flux I understand that, but P5 is a Japanese game first, Atlus is gonna focus on them first...than everyone else. That's just how it is.

Again, this is a weird point of attempting to be a Devil's advocate. The issue isn't the news; we know we're going to get P5 news real soon. The issue is actually what Makio is pointing out.

Most of us don't live in Japan, right? Most of us are going to get NA (and, heh, eventually EU) copies of Persona 5? Getting our info from Japan is good and all, but at some point we need it done directed at us, too. The fact that so many are still worried it's a 2015 game in North America is a testament to this.

Which is why I'm willing to believe what CJ just posted. If it's true that Atlus JPN does treat the American market like pariahs, and won't even exercise the opportunity that won't come around ever again, like tonight, then something needs to change.

While I doubt that this game will reach the rockiness that MGS V has, I'm starting to believe all is not well on either side of the ocean for Atlus.

cj_iwakura

It's fine, I was just joking, well at least partially.

I honestly wasn't aware about the tension between Atlus USA and the Atlus main branch.

And yes, I'm seeing Flux's point. It's more about the attitude (?) Having a trailer made just for e3 for the sake of formality is better than nothing at all.

Sounds no different than the crap Sega of Japan did to Sega of America. I wonder how much Atlus JP are to blame for Growlanser's crappy treatment and us not getting EP PSP.

I think this is very telling.

Someone who used to work at Atlus USA said that.

Damn. I always figured there was tension between Atlus USA and JP, but I always kinda hoped I was just reading too far into things.

The big thing I'm wondering now is if there will be any kind of new P5 media at the Atlus booth tomorrow. Because if there is, I wonder if it was Sony's call to not feature anything (not even a montage clip) at their press conference.

LMao, patients! Who every said it was better to lower one's expectations was right. P5 n sho at E3? No problem, pV2 next week! :)

@Flux I understand that, but P5 is a Japanese game first, Atlus is gonna focus on them first...than everyone else. That's just how it is.

Doesn't matter. Other Japanese developers have adapted. Atlus haven't, and it's worrying.

Xenoflare

Sounds no different than the crap Sega of Japan did to Sega of America. I wonder how much Atlus JP are to blame for Growlanser's crappy treatment and us not getting EP PSP.

I have to say having IS PSP released it quite a miracle looking at it now.

With the hilarious censorship of course

FluxWaveZ

That's how it is for Atlus. But can you say why? What benefit do they get from it? That's what this discussion revolves around. Saying, "That's just how Atlus is" gets us nowhere, because what this is really about is, "Why is Atlus like this?"

Silver Arrows is right. Other Japanese developers have adapted and have reasserted their Western presence. There are examples everywhere, from the Danganronpa writer celebrating its success in the U.S. to the Disgaea team stating how 50% of their sales come from Western markets. So we have to wonder if in Atlus' case, this is a genuine lack of awareness, or whether there's a substantial reason why the North American market is always being shoved aside like this, mainly relating to the case of Persona 5 which has every indication that it will be a bigger deal than Atlus themselves make it seem outside of a blurb on their E3 badge which acknowledges its importance.

Heavenly_Spear

Neo Member
Doesn't matter. Other Japanese developers have adapted. Atlus haven't, and it's worrying.

Mm, I kinda figured its because they're a smaller company? Or kinds set in their ways in how they market their stuff? Either way, I don't really care tbh. As long as the game comes out and it's awesome, that's all that matters to me.

Europe has had good reason to criticize Atlus for a good few years now. It looks like Atlus as a whole don't believe anything outside Japan exists, and anybody who is trying to sweep that by saying "Atlus is Japanese, deal with it" needs to get what I said about adapting to the West smashed into their heads.

We all know the Japanese home console market is dying. Atlus is preaching to a nearly empty choir, and the faster they can stop relying on said dying market and go to where the money and fans are, the better they'll do. Simple as that.

Mm, I kinda figured its because they're a smaller company? Or kinds set in their ways in how they market their stuff? Either way, I don't really care tbh. As long as the game comes out and it's awesome, that's all that matters to me.

Yes, because copping out by saying "They're still small!" is doing any good.

For fuck's sake, they are now owned by a relatively stable company in SEGA SAMMY. They aren't some plucky little indie studio.

Heavenly_Spear

Neo Member
Europe has had good reason to criticize Atlus for a good few years now. It looks like Atlus as a whole don't believe anything outside Japan exists, and anybody who is trying to sweep that by saying "Atlus is Japanese, deal with it" needs to get what I said about adapting to the West smashed into their heads.

We all know the Japanese home console market is dying. Atlus is preaching to a nearly empty choir, and the faster they can stop relying on said dying market and go to where the money and fans are, the better they'll do. Simple as that.

Ok, for you Europeans it does suck majorly. Maybe if P5 sells REALLY fucking well in the NA, they'll put more effort trying to market more heavily and constantly outside of their domestic market. I'm thinking is may also be the fault of who ever is in charge of marketing and stuff of that nature, or higher up not bothering to focus on all markets equals. I'm thinking it might be an issue with money, as it usually is.

Ok, for you Europeans it does suck majorly. Maybe if P5 sells REALLY fucking well in the NA, they'll put more effort trying to market more heavily and constantly outside of their domestic market. I'm thinking is may also be the fault of who ever is in charge of marketing and stuff of that nature, or higher up not bothering to focus on all markets equals. I'm thinking it might be an issue with money, as it usually is.

Atlus USA is in charge of marketing North America, and when the head honchos in Japan give you fuck all to start with, what do you expect?

Once more, the problem isn't money. They are owned by SEGA SAMMY. And what's with this "if it sells really well" bullshit? Sales of P4G bolstered a flagging Vita. What the fuck do you want the fans to do, bend over? By this point, Atlus JPN needs to realize what America means to the success of Persona.

Heavenly_Spear

Neo Member
Yes, because copping out by saying "They're still small!" is doing any good.

For fuck's sake, they are now owned by a relatively stable company in SEGA SAMMY. They aren't some plucky little indie studio.

Not copping out anything, just pointing it out, Atlus still aint no Square Enix. I still wonder how much support Sega really give them? I'm sorry, I'm no business wiz, I'm not 100% sure how that all works.

cj_iwakura

Not copping out anything, just pointing it out, Atlus still aint no Square Enix. I still wonder how much support Sega really give them? I'm sorry, I'm no business wiz, I'm not 100% sure how that all works.

Someone at the Atlus MB used to say that they were ultra supportive, but that was before the Index debacle. I guess that changed everything, and not for the better. Probably took complete control of Atlus USA's handling.

Xenoflare

Someone at the Atlus MB used to say that they were ultra supportive, but that was before the Index debacle. I guess that changed everything, and not for the better. Probably took complete control of Atlus USA's handling.

I think it's more about the parent company and less of Atlus Japan itself if that's the case.

Well as you pointed out. Sega was nasty to Sega of America too. So this should be no surprise?

Index was shady though. I mean it ended in Police raids didn't it?

Heavenly_Spear

Neo Member

Ahh I see, I figured something like that would have caused them to be more, what's the word, fugal?

Makio

So a worldwide release of p5 is a wild dream thanks to the bad blood of Atlus / Sega Japan... right.

Or is still a chance.

Makio

Yeah after i read today i going to keep my expections low regarding to localization.

And the sad thing is not even Atlus USA fault poor guys.

Still great things to come ... so to just wait a little more.

FluxWaveZ

So a worldwide release of p5 is a wild dream thanks to the bad blood of Atlus / Sega Japan... right.

Or is still a chance.

Who knows at this point. I don't know what's going on anymore. Japan's position is pretty safe: it's a Q4 2015 game. North America? No idea.

I don't think "disappointed" is the right word to use for how I feel after the conference (only in regards to P5, because the conference itself was incredible) because I was neutral regarding whether or not P5 would appear, but "deflated" is definitely the right term. I felt like P5 had all of this momentum building up for it and, despite me not expecting it, its non-presence has made me feel like this is exactly another Guilty Gear Xrd scenario, where the game is just crapped out near the end of the year with no substantial backing, where some people go "Wait, that game came out?"

I had pre-ordered the physical version of P4D for that P5 Blu-ray, but I'm cancelling it now. The footage will be online immediately, and my hype's down enough for me to fail being able to justify getting a physical and digital version of the game next week.

Who knows at this point. I don't know what's going on anymore. Japan's position is pretty safe: it's a Q4 2015 game. North America? No idea.

I don't think "disappointed" is the right word to use for how I feel after the conference (only in regards to P5, because the conference itself was incredible) because I was neutral regarding whether or not P5 would appear, but "deflated" is definitely the right term. I felt like P5 had all of this momentum building up for it and, despite me not expecting it, its non-presence has made me feel like this is exactly another Guilty Gear Xrd scenario, where the game is just crapped out near the end of the year.

I had pre-ordered the physical version of P4D for that P5 Blu-ray, but I'm cancelling it now. The footage will be online immediately, and my hype's down enough for me to fail being able to justify getting a physical and digital version of the game next week.

Likewise. This, alongside Fallout 4 were supposed to be the highlights of E3 for me. One delivered, the other was a bad a no-show as Steven Stamkos. Deflated is exactly the word I'd use, and it's making me less rosy of the prospects of an American release this winter.

Lets say they do announce that the game will come out late 2015. Where do they put it? Certainly not November, as it'll get slaugtered by FO4, Battlefront, and Black Ops III. December may be too late.

atlusprime

Atlus PR
Which could burn Atlus JPN's fingers if they continue. Look at every other Japanese company. They know E3 is the big one. Why isn't Atlus following their lead?

I wonder if Hardin is fuming inside considering he's being constantly yanked on the leash by the parent company and unable to make the series bigger then it currently is. I know I would be.

Fuming? No. Driven? Yes.

Likewise. This, alongside Fallout 4 were supposed to be the highlights of E3 for me. One delivered, the other was a bad a no-show as Steven Stamkos. Deflated is exactly the word I'd use, and it's making me less rosy of the prospects of an American release this winter.

Lets say they do announce that the game will come out late 2015. Where do they put it? Certainly not November, as it'll get slaugtered by FO4, Battlefront, and Black Ops III. December may be too late.

I don't assume this is any solace right now, but you can at least take comfort in knowing that your sports references are on point tonight.

Right now I'm just curious to see what, if anything, Atlus has at their booth. I think that'll have really interesting implications for this whole business.

atlusprime said:
Fuming? No. Driven? Yes.

You're a cool dude. We appreciate what you do.

atlusprime

Atlus PR
Yet you do have to wonder whether or not this is all for naught, considering that any attempt to make Persona more then "supposedly niche JRPG title" is either rebuked by the parent company, or bungled.

Naught or not, it's what I'm here to do. I didn't choose the hype life, the hype life chose me.

Was coming to see if any news of P5 had come out, and see the thread.

XujHLh.jpg

See you guys tomorrow when there is actual news I guess! Hope you all feel better! Things will look up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom