• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
alongside this, the fact that Atlus is being so cagey to even release some info, alongside being a complete no-show, is reminding me too much of Eden and Test Drive Unlimited 2.

The game still exists, hell, if The Last Guardian and Shenmue 3 exist, then Persona 5 super exists

But they can market it how they want, and if they want to be cagey with their marketing, they do them and it's all good, the game will still come out.

Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but I've been wondering this for a while: who's going to localize SMT x FE? I just assumed Atlus USA because of the SMT, but what about the people that localize FE? Would they want in?

Zolo

Kinda funny how arguments were happening about the protagonist's smirk and outfit as part of appealing to the West regarding marketing before E3.

FluxWaveZ

But they can market it how they want, and if they want to be cagey with their marketing, they do them and it's all good, the game will still come out.

I feel Silver Arrows is being melodramatic, but I don't think that we should necessarily just be fine about them being cagey about the marketing for this game in North America because we'll be getting it eventually anyways.

There's another series I love called Ace Attorney. It's wildly successful in Japan, and while it had a cult following in the West, being "cagey with their marketing" has cornered the series' status outside of Japan. It's not the same genre and Persona might have always had more backing than that, but this reminds me of that.

Yakuza is a closer analog, with that series being very successful in Japan, but because they cared little about how to present the game to the Western audience, its status outside of Japan is approaching extinction. It's not good.

Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but I've been wondering this for a while: who's going to localize SMT x FE? I just assumed Atlus USA because of the SMT, but what about the people that localize FE? Would they want in?

I actually don't think Atlus USA will be localizing SMT x FE. At least, not as the core team for it, but possibly providing consultation.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
Once more, this is saying 'if'. Atlus can rattle off info next week and chances are I'll be pleased. But right now, I'm not very impressed with their conduct.
Talk about entitlement. I'm sure Atlus is very upset about not "pleasing" people getting irrationally emotional about their international marketing strategy who somehow assume a self-evident right to information Atlus themselves might not even be sure of. Information that does not affect the quality of the game in the slightest, but is somehow misused to denounce a game as "not worth [their] time":
There are other, frankly better games worth my time when I do get a PS4. (...)
Not even gonna address calling them dumbasses for not following guidelines you're pulling out of your ass. Calm down.

aravuus

There are other, frankly better games worth my time when I do get a PS4. And if Atlus is going to be a group of dumbasses, then once more, they don't deserve my money, or anybody elses if they were smart enough.

Well, DAN looks like shit and.. Well, I shouldn't have said games. I should have just said Persona 5.

I'm so excited about P5 I'm even willing to take this shit.

I feel Silver Arrows is being melodramatic, but I don't think that we should necessarily just be fine about them being cagey about the marketing for this game in North America because we'll be getting it eventually anyways.

There's another series I love called Ace Attorney. It's wildly successful in Japan, and while it had a cult following in the West, being "cagey with their marketing" has cornered the series' status outside of Japan. It's not the same genre and Persona might have always had more backing than that, but this reminds me of that.

Yakuza is a closer analog, with that series being very successful in Japan, but because they cared little about how to present the game to the Western audience, its status outside of Japan is approaching extinction. It's not good.

I actually don't think Atlus USA will be localizing SMT x FE. At least, not as the core team for it, but possibly providing consultation.
I don't think Atlus USA has an advertising issue in North America - take Ultimax, for example. It had a reasonably-sized presence at e3 last year. I'm pretty sure Atlus USA was the first to show off a playable version of the game, too.

The problem with Persona 5 is that there's been barely any information in Japan either. The whole P5 advertising campaign is baffling for game that's supposedly going to be released this year.

FluxWaveZ

I don't think Atlus USA has an advertising issue in North America - take Ultimax, for example. It had a reasonably-sized presence at e3 last year. I'm pretty sure Atlus USA was the first to show off a playable version of the game, too.

The problem with Persona 5 is that there's been barely any information in Japan either. The whole P5 advertising campaign is baffling for game that's supposedly going to be release this year.

Oh yeah, I'm not saying they do; I'm still purely talking about Persona 5. Persona Q and Persona 4 Arena Ultimax seemed to have good presences in a lot of places last year, and I actually expect the same to happen for Persona 5. It's not like Atlus USA is going to release a few YouTube videos, have a live stream and then call it a day in terms of P5 marketing. It being on the E3 badge is an awesome move (though, thinking back on that, I think it's also telling that so many doubted it'd even be on that piece of plastic).

I guess this is really just about how what the implications are for Persona 5's Western presence in the future after what happened (or didn't) yesterday. The point that it was omitted from the game montage segments isn't to be glossed over; I think it's really important, and I haven't seen anyone give any decent explanations for that yet.

The problem with Persona 5 is that there's been barely any information in Japan either. The whole P5 advertising campaign is baffling for game that's supposedly going to be released this year.

It's all a giant viral marketing campaign where we need to break into Atlus HQ ourselves to steal all the info about P5.

jzbluz

I don't think it's right to compare those series to Persona, which by this time probably sells more internationally than in Japan, while the opposite seems to be true for AA and Yakuza.

Is not that baffling if they're waiting until P4D comes out to start on P5's marketing; isn't that what they usually do? Focus on one games at a time? At least for megaten games. What is kinda weird is that they decided to announce P5 so early and then delaying it so much, but then everything of theirs was delayed and I blame the Index fiasco.

FluxWaveZ

I don't think it's right to compare those series to Persona, which by this time probably sells more internationally than in Japan, while the opposite seems to be true for AA and Yakuza.

But that's what I'm addressing. Ace Attorney and Yakuza declined hard because of the lack of Western marketing, which is why the sales comparison in NA can be so lopsided now. Like I said, Persona is a different beast, because it probably had sufficient backing in NA when the series was introduced and it has had more marketing support from that point on, but the situation still reminds me of what happened to those game series.

jzbluz

But that's what I'm addressing. Ace Attorney and Yakuza declined hard because of the lack of Western marketing, which is why the sales comparison in NA can be so lopsided now. Like I said, Persona is a different beast, because it probably had sufficient backing in NA when the series was introduced and it has had more marketing support from that point on, but the situation still reminds me of what happened to those game series.

But I just can't see that happening with Persona, at the very least I don't see Atlus publishing Persona digital only except for like in Europe and they don't count (sorry). Yeah, I'm disappointed that they couldn't use the Sony conference to advertise Persona 5 (they could have at least shown PV1) and I think it was a wasted opportunity. But I find it weird that fans are getting so gloomy about Persona's future when even Japan knows so little about P5. Hopefully P5 does amazing internationally, and P6 gets a more aggressive marketing in the English market.

Setsu00

Well, the fact that the website is now live makes me think that P5 originally had a small spot in the conference that eventually was taken by another game. That wouldn't explain why it wasn't featured in one of the montages tho.

Sophia

Reassuring to see that website and the reconfirmed 2015 date.

I hope that video is more than just a repeat trailer, but given the images on the website I'm not expecting anything.

Well, the fact that the website is now live makes me think that P5 originally had a small spot in the conference that eventually was taken by another game. That wouldn't explain why it wasn't featured in one of the montages tho.

Or they just put it up early by mistake, it should have been going up today anyway.

Makio

It so good to see the game is coming in 2015.

worldwide release dream actived.

But still if the japanese one cames in October , the gap of localization is gonna be short as fuck since they can only put it in November or December here in America.

I hope they dont put it in Nov , because that month is full of games already it can hurt their sales a little.

It's nice that there's a reconfirming of the date, but as Makio said, they don't have the greatest window for an NA release date. November is out of the question.

I don't think it's quite right to say that the game reneges on subverting her initial character setup because never goes back to acting like she does at the beginning of P4. Once she fully integrates with the group, she stops being submissive, she almost always speaks her mind, and is more comfortable in being "herself" in front of people who aren't Chie, which is the conceit of the entire series. There's even subtle things like the fact that she and Yosuke exchange phone numbers post P4, which again, she would never do because she used to be overly reserved.

Sorry, this is a late replay because FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE and new street fighter 5 characters.

I don't agree. First off, this aspect of Yukiko isn't about change. It's about the main character becoming as close to Yukiko as Chie is. As a result, you're given a different vantage point to her personality. At the beginning of the story, she is distant, not submissive. I'm not sure what submissive means in the context.

To add to that, I don't mean to suggest that she circles back to what she was before. It's that she never leaves her stereotype completely.

The way she exists in P4, there's a duality between her being a yamato nadeshiko and her occasional sass. Off the top of my head an instance that illustrates this is when
she tells off the sleazy men from the TV station, then becomes concerned about whether her courageous act was inline with proper manners.
She is still a prim, reserved, traditional, incredibly feminine, wallflower character. It's in her style of speech, which is incredibly formal...it's in the way her character moves, poses and sits. It's such an extreme, together with her off beat moments, which are never painted in a good light, that she comes off as a caricature.

yuuki

Maybe in favor of shenmue which I wouldn't mind at all

PK Gaming

Sorry, this is a late replay because FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE and new street fighter 5 characters.

I don't agree. First off, this aspect of Yukiko isn't about change. It's about the main character becoming as close to Yukiko as Chie is. As a result, you're given a different vantage point to her personality. At the beginning of the story, she is distant, not submissive. I'm not sure what submissive means in the context.

To add to that, I don't mean to suggest that she circles back to what she was before. It's that she never leaves her stereotype completely.

The way she exists in P4, there's a duality between her being a yamato nadeshiko and her occasional sass. Off the top of my head an instance that illustrates this is when
she tells off the sleazy men from the TV station, then becomes concerned about whether her courageous act was inline with proper manners.
She is still a prim, reserved, traditional, incredibly feminine, wallflower character. It's in her style of speech, which is incredibly formal...it's in the way her character moves, poses and sits. It's such an extreme, together with her off beat moments, which are never painted in a good light, that she comes off as a caricature.

Yeah my bad, distant is a way better word choice than submissive. The way she initially talks to people who aren't Chie... it's polite, yet evasive. Kinda like she doesn't really want to let anyone in.

You brought up a few things I didn't consider, and after giving it some thought, I can't say I completely disagree your point of view anymore. But at the same time, I don't think her off-beat moments throw away gags either, at least, not anymore. I mean, they really try to hammer that point in the spinoffs/Golden (to an almost annoying degree), but tbh it does make me happy that they consider them an integral aspect of her character, since it lets her stand out from other characters who have a similar archetype.

Maybe her weirdness was originally supposed to be a throw away, but when it's now incorporated into her character post P4, (I mean her Dance trailer is rife with her being off-beat) I don't think we're meant to take see those moments as "bad" anymore. To me it's like they're saying, this is Yukiko.

Sophia

I think this thread right here shows that something is wrong with how they're advertising Persona 5. Look at the kind of posts in that thread:

Western release this year? HOLY. SHIT.

In english this year?

Wasn't expecting that at all. 2015 holidays saved

Wow didn't expect Western Release this year. That's fantastic news.

?? Usually we have several months of delay for the NA release after the JP one for localization. This is great news.

Damn I expected March at the earliest, shit this is great.

Still doubt 2015 na

Won't believe it till I got a copy in my hands.

I'm at the point where I've stopped caring until they show me the game.

Still 2015? no exact release date?

This is only a sample of the type of posts within it. There are tons more just like with people expressing surprise, confusion that it wasn't at any conference in any form, and/or cynicalness at actually being released this year. I had to cut a few quotes out so that this post wasn't so massive in it's own right.

This is a marketing failure, plain and simple. I don't know who's responsible for it. It might be Sony, it might be Atlus Japan, or Atlus USA. Maybe even SEGA Sammy holdings? What I do know is that I would be ashamed if there was so much confusion regarding when the game is even coming out. It's rather disillusioning for fans, and it's not good for getting an expanded audience for your game.

I was hoping that after we got the actual gameplay reveal, we'd start getting a steady stream of information until the release of the game. But that doesn't seem to be the case, as we've gone four months now without any real new information. Just the promise of a trailer included with a Blu-Ray that is, for all intents and purposes, improbable to obtain legally if you're not in Japan. I get the impression that they think Dancing All Night isn't nearly as hyped as they want it to be, hence the inclusion of the disc to sell more copies of the game in Japan. Regardless, I don't think ditching a major venue being overly silent for four months is smart marketing for a game that is suppose to be coming out this year. In two markets.

It is very evident to all, that people expect something at E3. And I don't mean us hardcore fans either.

Thank you Sophia for putting what I couldn't say elonquently into words.

This is a failure of marketing, what side the buck lands on is unclear. Nevertheless, the advertising for this game is a complete joke, and what happened last night, rather what didn't happen, is the culmination of that.

HAPPENING
CHpH3bfWUAA8uYg.jpg

Sad that Atlus for whatever reason doesn't think that Persona needs news in the west. Do they not want to admit they care about the west? Are they just not used to marketing a ton, and are very "quiet" out of tradition (well i know nothing about Atlus' past releases since I got into Persona as they were wringing out the last few bucks they could get from P4 spinoffs)?

Anyways time to drown out my disappointment in MMO's and Steam Sales

I think this thread right here shows that something is wrong with how they're advertising Persona 5. Look at the kind of posts in that thread:This is only a sample of the type of posts within it. There are tons more just like with people expressing surprise, confusion that it wasn't at any conference in any form, and/or cynicalness at actually being released this year. I had to cut a few quotes out so that this post wasn't so massive in it's own right.

This is a marketing failure, plain and simple. I don't know who's responsible for it. It might be Sony, it might be Atlus Japan, or Atlus USA. Maybe even SEGA Sammy holdings? What I do know is that I would be ashamed if there was so much confusion regarding when the game is even coming out. It's rather disillusioning for fans, and it's not good for getting an expanded audience for your game.

I was hoping that after we got the actual gameplay reveal, we'd start getting a steady stream of information until the release of the game. But that doesn't seem to be the case, as we've gone four months now without any real new information. Just the promise of a trailer included with a Blu-Ray that is, for all intents and purposes, improbable to obtain legally if you're not in Japan. I get the impression that they think Dancing All Night isn't nearly as hyped as they want it to be, hence the inclusion of the disc to sell more copies of the game in Japan. Regardless, I don't think ditching a major venue being overly silent for four months is smart marketing for a game that is suppose to be coming out this year. In two markets.

It is very evident to all, that people expect something at E3. And I don't mean us hardcore fans either.
People keep mentioning an October release in that thread, where's that coming from?

Can't wait to hear that new Persona sound, though!

Sad that Atlus for whatever reason doesn't think that Persona needs news in the west. Do they not want to admit they care about the west? Are they just not used to marketing a ton, and are very "quiet" out of tradition (well i know nothing about Atlus' past releases since I got into Persona as they were wringing out the last few bucks they could get from P4 spinoffs)?

They don't care about the west, it seems like. What CJ posted last night about the former Atlus USA rep saying that JPN would rather play corporate isolationism then give US branch some respect lines up, alongside supposed philosophy changes.

yami4ct

Can't wait to hear that new Persona sound, though!

The Meguro soundtracks are legit probably at least 45% of why I dig the games as much as I do. I seriously cannot wait to get a taste of what he has cooked up for P5. Maybe something a bit more bluesy? Something about the Phantom Thief direction jives with that for me.

Makio

Sophia

Thank you Sophia for putting what I couldn't say elonquently into words.

This is a failure of marketing, what side the buck lands on is unclear. Nevertheless, the advertising for this game is a complete joke, and what happened last night, rather what didn't happen, is the culmination of that.

The dirty secret of PersonaGAF: I exist to make other people look better. >_>;

It's a combination of things. The biggest of which however is that the market has shifted from the Japanese-centric game development of the 80s and 90s to one that is slowly becoming more globalized. No longer does simply making a product for one region alone a good business sense. This actually applies to western developers too, but it's hit Japanese developers harder.

I also think there's a sense of misplaced pride among Japanese buinsessmen (I.E. not the developers, but the higher ups) that results in them being out of touch with what is really going on. That their own market is shifting towards a new form of gaming (Mobile), and that what they did in the past is no longer adequate. This is why you see so many famed Japanese developers moving away from the publishers who housed them for so long to fund projects on kickstarter and such.

In the case of Atlus, I have long gotten the impression (through interviews, release schedules, and hints and details I hear all over the place) that Atlus USA is basically an afterthough. Something that, if it makes profits, great! But if it doesn't? Eh, no big loss.

Atlus USA just uploaded their e3 Persona 5 trailer:

https://youtu.be/vjSHjAoQty4

This is pretty much what I expected, for better or worse. It's the Japanese trailer with opening text translated.

They don't care about the west, it seems like. What CJ posted last night about the former Atlus USA rep saying that JPN would rather play corporate isolationism then give US branch some respect lines up, alongside supposed philosophy changes.

Oh, i doubt that they don't care, that's all extra money and recognition to them.

If they didn't care Atlus USA wouldn't be localizing it

But for whatever reason they aren't trying at all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom