• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Gaming

If they do make another Arena game, I hope Sho's a tertiary character. I like the idea of them focusing on new key characters in each iteration.

Dammit Aki
UY4l8u0.jpg

tumblr_mqvp10bo7a1r21fazo1_500.png
I really liked P3P Junpei because you get to see an entirely different side of him. In his social link he talks a little about his home life and it sheds some light on why he's misbehaving the way he does early on. He's also given a chance to -be- the cool guy he wants to be and he turns out to play the role quite well. He goes from a sort of dopey ass to being a really sweet, caring friend who is FRUSTRATINGLY FOREVER BEYOND THE REACH OF A GIRL WHO CAN WOO LITERALLY EVERY OTHER MAN IN THE WORLD.
Of course having Kenji as a social link is way more interesting than that, duh
Persona x Mother. The cast of Mother isn't as pronounced as Persona's, but Mother's quirky urban fantasy world fits Persona's perfectly.
PK ZIO!

All I want out of a new Arena game is for it to look like Xrd.

Well, I'd want more, but predominantly that.

Mainly this. Also could we please have a story that doesn't shove BONDS AND FRIENDS down our throats so much? I would like for them to take out all the fights and just copy Xrd's story mode, where you basically just watch a 4-5 hour anime.

Got P4AU for Christmas. :) So far seems pretty fun, though I didn't do story mode.

Because I thought he looked really cool I tried [Redacted] for a bit but I realized that I suck a lot at fighting games still and I still occasionally do things that I would do in Marvel vs Capcom 3. Thus I can't perform any good combos (even screwed up doing commands like supers) and often use the autocombo. Then I switched to Kanji so I didn't have to focus as much on combos for damage and use command grabs, which is very effective against the AI. Golden Arena was pretty fun, though it gets somewhat repetitive, though admittedly I always use the same tactic (move) again and again to win, using combos only occasionally.

Even though I only had the game for a few days I then tried to do the stuff to unlock other navigators. I used Kanji since I figured I could abuse command grabs a lot more, but it still took me a few hours just to beat Risky Course A. Had the most trouble against Aigis, since she flew around and shot so much, which was bad as Kanji. :(

Overall, not bad. Probably won't ever get good at the game though. At this point, kinda scared to face others online now that it's up again, probably just going to get rekt over and over again.

CorvoSol

P4AU Episode P4

Finished MOST of it. Defeated Kagutsuchi and then went to bed. Here's where I'm at. People called Labrys ham-fisted in the first Arena, but frankly she's downright subtle compared to the shit with Minazuki. I mean, the entire game was built around her and establishing her character and relationships and it came across well, I felt, but holy God I'm struggling to believe this shit with Sho the Hedgehog. I mean yes, this is the Investigation Team and they're really nice people who even managed to save Namatame and tried to help Adachi, but Namatame was a victim and Adachi had been around them enough to form some manner of friendship.

We're just saving Sho because we have to. I feel nothing for this character beyond disdain. He's worse than Marie was in P4G. He's just this walking collection of Shadow the Hedgehog cliches that we're going to give the Wild Card because FUCK YOU FREE BONDS AND FOOL ARCANA FOR EVERYBODY NOW.

I mean sure, early Persona games everybody had the Wild Card, but since turning it into a major thing, I dunno. I mean sure, Aigis and Elizabeth can have it because their Journey will take a billion million years. But Sho?

And I mean, let's just take a moment to look at this whole BONDS VS SOLITUDE subplot. I mean, villains by nature in this series tend to be alone. Strega is the nearest any of them got to having friends, and that's more between Takaya and Jin than the three of them. So why the sudden need to spell out in the most obtuse way that which has been clear the whole series?

At any rate, I'm glad they didn't dig up Ikutsuki's corpse for this. That would've been an annoying ass pull. I'm fairly okay with Kagutsuchi, since I figure the game's still going to explain some shit about him to me, and because oh man there are crazy psychic Gods like you wouldn't believe in this series universe anyway.

I will say that making him some weird 3D thing kinda was jarring. The first three attempts at the fight I lost, only to win it with inexplicable ease in the fourth match. Still, at least they sprung for a boss monster, so credit where credit is due.

I'll retract my earlier comment about the cast being better portrayed here than in Q and whittle it down to them being simply better about different characters at different times. The overall point of these story modes, though, I will say has been rewarding enough. Inasmuch as I believe that point to be the interaction of these two casts. I really think the casts do play off each other pretty well. I liked Rise, Yukari and Fuuka's little girl talk moment, for instant, or Naoto and Mitsuru's chats in the previous game.

Obviously I still have quite a bit of story mode to go before I can make a final assessment, but at the moment I'm not sure what to say. Other, I suppose, than that I just don't care much for Sho at all.

Slixshot

Banned
Just ordered a playstation TV so I can play through Golden again. Watching the persona 4 anime at the moment. Hype levels for Persona 5 escalating.

Sophia

Very curious to see Corvo's impressions of the P3 side. General census is that it's better than the P4 side.

So i've been on vacation for a week but i assume nothing Persona 5 related happened right?

You've missed nothing. All is well in the land of Persona. Which is to say all is boring. :p

kewlmyc

2016 is gonna be the Persona series' 20th anniversary, so that's cool. I believe 2012 was Shin Megami Tensei's, the year that SMT IV was announced.

Persona was only released 4 years after the first SMT? Wasn't the first SMT on the NES or something? Or was that Megami Tensei?

Sophia

Persona was only released 4 years after the first SMT? Wasn't the first SMT on the NES or something? Or was that Megami Tensei?

Shin Megami Tensei was SNES. Megami Tensei was NES.

I feel like it was more than 4 years though...

Shin Megami Tensei was 1992. The original Persona was 1996. Indeed only four years.

There was a three year gap (1996 to 1999) between Persona 1 and Persona 2: Innocent Sin. One year later (2000), Eternal Punishment was released. Six years later was Persona 3.

FluxWaveZ

Sounds like a good time for SMT V......

I think it'd make more sense to use the first actual SMT release as an anniversary starting point, but they did say they've got a game in the works for 2017 (also implied that it wasn't a new IP), and talking about it this far in advance makes me think it'd be a rather significant project.

We need more sub-studio names/logos! We've got:
- P Studio working as the main developers on P4D and P5.
- Team Maniax working on something.
- The EO team working on EOV and at least partly on EMD.
Clear delineations are fun.

Also, it's getting closer:
t1423125000z1.png

Tamanon

Banned
I think it'd make more sense to use the first actual SMT release as an anniversary starting point, but they did say they've got a game in the works for 2017 (also implied that it wasn't a new IP), and talking about it this far in advance makes me think it'd be a rather significant project.

We need more sub-studio names/logos! We've got:

Clear delineations are fun.

Also, it's getting closer:
t1423125000z1.png

Isn't your countdown a little off? The website has it at 38 days, 17 hours.

FluxWaveZ

Isn't your countdown a little off? The website has it at 38 days, 17 hours.

Don't rely on the website's time unless your computer's running on a JST time zone. The concert opens at 5:30 PM JST (starts at 6:30 PM JST), which is 3:30 AM EST on February 5th, 2015.

CorvoSol

Finished Episode P4.

The ending was okay, if somewhat bland. My only complaint was the lack of them saying goodbye to Labrys. It'd be a bit of a retread from last game, I guess, but she's supposed to be an ultra bestie of theirs now, so I wanted that.

Of course, since I didn't get HYPER SUPER TRUE ENDING yet, I'm holding off on any real thoughts on the ending and Kagutsuchi. Hopefully his interest in the P4 cast is explained at least a little more.

I've decided I'm okay with Minazuki, but that Sho is still fat hot dumps town.

Also enjoyed that Mitsuru officially invited the IT into the hunt for Sho. Perfect excuse for any later sequels, but also it's just a good open ending for now. I tend to like endings that are like "and they kept on adventuring." Also I kind of like the way that Mitsuru has assumed leadership of the P3 crew in full and how that position has given her a sort of relationship with Yu as the other team's leader. It isn't the deepest nor most compelling of the intergame relationships, but I'm fond of it.

Started Episode P3 and the DLC episode. Does it matter which I play first? I figured I'd knock the DLC out first since its shorter.

Also, I heard that to get the true ending I need to
pick both options prior to the final boss fight in both scenarios? Do I need to rewatch the whole ending, then, or just until the end of that segment?

PInk Tape

Banned
I'd rather see Sho in Arena 3 and Labrys in P5 somehow :p

I'm pretty sure Persona's 20th anniversary will be in 2026.

*giggles*

I really liked P3P Junpei because you get to see an entirely different side of him. In his social link he talks a little about his home life and it sheds some light on why he's misbehaving the way he does early on. He's also given a chance to -be- the cool guy he wants to be and he turns out to play the role quite well. He goes from a sort of dopey ass to being a really sweet, caring friend who is FRUSTRATINGLY FOREVER BEYOND THE REACH OF A GIRL WHO CAN WOO LITERALLY EVERY OTHER MAN IN THE WORLD.
I ate all that ramen for nothing :(

Xenoflare

NO.

I think there's a chance that past characters will return in Persona 5. I don't want Sho or Labrys to be one of those characters.

Even when it happens, I sure hope it's just a nod to the previous games instead of making them taking prominent spots in the story.

Like show a girl who looks like Chie in a restaurant or something like that, and that's it. Or a Teddie plush toy in the protagonist's room.

I'm going to have conflicting feelings if they did it like Yukino/Elly/Nanjo situation in the P2 games.

P4 did the school trip to Tatsumi Port Island and then P3P did the Inaba trip for FeMC.

Actually those would work too, I played P3P before P4G so I didn't realize that the music that was used on that trip were all from P4. I should've known.

Dantis

Even when it happens, I sure hope it's just a nod to the previous games instead of making them taking prominent spots in the story.

Like show a girl who looks like Chie in a restaurant or something like that, and that's it. Or a Teddie plush toy in the protagonist's room.

I'm going to have conflicting feelings if they did the like Yukino/Elly/Nanjo situation in the P2 games.

I'd like something more like the epilogue and less like Arena/Ultimax.

I keep thinking about writing something more long-form about this, but basically, the P4G epilogue does everything right (or what I would consider right, at least) when it comes to reintroducing characters after a stretch of time whilst Ultimax and Arena do it all wrong.

Xenoflare

I'd like something more like the epilogue and less like Arena/Ultimax.

I keep thinking about writing something more long-form about this, but basically, the P4G epilogue does everything right (or what I would consider right, at least) when it comes to reintroducing characters after a stretch of time whilst Ultimax and Arena do it all wrong.

Although DAN kinda sours the deal for me, just a little bit, unless DAN happens before the P4G ending.

Arena would fare a lot better for me if they gave all the character over-the-top designs and uncannon that thing, but I feel that the "story being canon" is a legit selling point of it for the first game, since the novelty of a persona fighting game can only work once, that makes Ultimax a stretch to have a legit story, and it shows. Besides,
I'd love to see revolver Jesus, Chidorita and what's his face (hue) in the roster, aside from the obvious choices like P3MC and Shinji.

Ultimax is a much better game though, not saying it's bad or anything, just the story.

I sound like a broken record right now I bet.

DNAbro

Is this new? found it on gematsu.

Katsura Hashino (Atlus)
Known for: Persona series

“Looking towards the coming year, we’re rallying around the idea of bringing change through our own individuality. Internally, this is summarized in our team motto as ‘Be personal for change.’ Now when people think of the idea of individuality, it’s often framed in terms of straying away from social norms and the everyday rules of day-to-do living. People often refer to Atlus’ philosophy as a developer in this sense, although it’s also not without some negative connotations; dangerous people, for instance, are often viewed as having a sense of individuality that makes them go too far. But to me personally, individuality is as much about the good as it is the bad and as we display it towards other people, it affords an opportunity for our words, our thinking processes, our conduct to change. Individuality, for me, is most strongly about that power of human potential.”

“In recent times especially, there’s a pervading sense of oppression for many people at an existential level, but so long as we as a species are able to form relationships one another in this world, we’ll always have the ability within ourselves to be able to break free from such restraints, both as individuals, but especially for groups that have a strong sense of self. In making a new proper numbered entry in the Persona series, we’re hoping to bring those issues to the forefront and are working tireless on it to make it happen, so be sure to keep an eye on more information about Persona 5 in the coming months.”

Read more at http://gematsu.com/2014/12/japanese...kingdom-hearts-iii-pokken#MvH8zEsLd9RgMeH6.99

http://gematsu.com/2014/12/japanese...oles-details-coming-kingdom-hearts-iii-pokken

CorvoSol

NO.

I think there's a chance that past characters will return in Persona 5. I don't want Sho or Labrys to be one of those characters.

Although I really like Labrys, I agree. I think they should handle P4 the same way they did P3 in P4. Maybe make the team take a trip to Inaba and have them run into like, Daisuke or Chie at the very most, but save the big major team reencountering for post P5 spinoffs.

It's not that I don't like P2's stronger P1 cast presence, but I think I just prefer the P3 and P4 feeling of being self-contained.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
NO.

New robot girl though, right Dannyboy? >:D

I don't think any of the characters will return. I'm thinking 5 will be a separate entity .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom