• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
On a side note, Catherine's dub is perfect. I really hoped new Chie would sound more like
Erica
, Erin's Chie is a tad bit over the top compared to rest of the rather natural sounding cast.

To me, that's how Chie is supposed to be. She's usually very upbeat and energetic and I think Erin voiced her fine with a couple of flubs (but that's director/time related) but she nails the character.

Yosuke is the base breaker it seems, I did not enjoy the camping scene at all but overall I still consider Yousuke to be very likeable. The camping scene is where I welcome the skip function in Golden with open arms.

Come to think of it, Junpei's keenjerk reaction when Akihiko assigned FeMC as the leader was pretty unclassy too.

Youske is hit or miss, he's usually a dick, but there are times he's not.

I'm a ballbreaker at times, but I know what to say and how to say it. He didn't.

And Mitsuru quickly squashes Junpei's adversity to them making FemMC leader.

Meia

The abuse part is first shown in the Answer.

And Chie should be over the type at times, but Erin does a good job on the times when she's quiet and shy too, so the VA'ing work was fine. The "loud and angry" thing with Chie sticks out more since that's her most of the way through the intro. :p

Xenoflare

To me, that's how Chie is supposed to be. She's usually very upbeat and energetic and I think Erin voiced her fine with a couple of flubs (but that's director/time related) but she nails the character.

Youske is hit or miss, he's usually a dick, but there are times he's not.

I'm a ballbreaker at times, but I know what to say and how to say it. He didn't.

And Mitsuru quickly squashes Junpei's adversity to them making FemMC leader.

Oh yeah, when I found out that Erin is voicing Chie
Erica
was the first character that popped up in my head. It took me a long while to adapt to P4G Chie.

Makio

I love Erin voice acting :
Take different caracthers of her :
Chie
Erica from Catherine or
Midnight Venus in that game
The Sorceress from Dragon's Crown
Bullet from Blazblue
and sounds voiced for different actress , but to be fair Chie sounds like the hyper over of the top version of Erica.

I love the diference too Cindy Robinson makes from Makoto (Blazblue) & Labyrs to other roles like the one from Fire Emblem that almost manly voice.

No like Lowenthal o Eden Riegel who makes the same voice in all the roles.
(Playing Dragon's Crown narrated for Marie and Yosuke).

Xenoflare

I love Erin voice acting :
Take different caracthers of her :
Chie
Erica from Catherine or
Midnight Venus in that game
The Sorceress from Dragon's Crown
Bullet from Blazblue
and sounds voiced for different actress , but to be fair Chie sounds like the hyper over of the top version of Erica.

I love the diference too between Cindy Robinson makes from Makoto (Blazblue) & Labyrs to other roles like the one from Fire Emblem).

No like Lowenthal o Eden Riegel who makes the same voice in all the roles.
(Playing Dragon's Crown narrated for Marie and Yosuke).

I love Eden Riegel though, although I cannot tell her and Danielle Judovits apart.

I actually don't mind voice actors with extremely recognizable voices if they are good.

Dragon's crown is narrated by Dojima by default anyways.

I love the diference too Cindy Robinson makes from Makoto (Blazblue) & Labyrs to other roles like the one from Fire Emblem that almost manly voice.

You want to hear her differently? Listen to her lines as Kan-E-Senna in FFXIV.
Completely Unrecognisable!

I cannot wait to hear the new VA's for P5. Voice acting is one of my favourite things to look up and research.

On that note, if you havent seen the documentary "I know that voice", you should watch it!

CorvoSol

Nobody looked good in the camp scene to be honest. No not even Kanji. It is by far the worst scene in the game.

I think it's a great scene. Bunch of teenagers misbehaving and mistreating each other. Almost exactly how campouts went when I was a teen. The only thing missing was one of them staying up all night obsessed over the campfire.

Makio

I love Eden Riegel though, although I cannot tell her and Danielle Judovits apart.
Dragon's crown is narrated by Dojima by default anyways.

I love her , that girl fool me two times ... sound identical to Marie .. i mean Riegel.
I almost believe the rumor she was taking the role of Marie in Q / Ultimax ... because Riegel sounds a little different in that games to be fair.

But in the instant she makes the "stupidjerkihateyou" shout in her intro in Ultimax i like was "oh it's you Eden is good to "hear" you back" hahaha.

Dojima and the other 5 actors in Dragon Crown are awesome , epic narration in every style.

You want to hear her differently? Listen to her lines as Kan-E-Senna in FFXIV.
Completely Unrecognisable!

I cannot wait to hear the new VA's for P5. Voice acting is one of my favourite things to look up and research.

On that note, if you havent seen the documentary "I know that voice", you should watch it!

I gonna check Kan-E Senna and the documentary thanks for the tip, and that why i started the "wishlist" of VA thread the other days , Voice Acting is one of the things i liked and looking forward in any game or animated movie / series.

I know right? Especially Glasses-Kun.

To be honest i dont think in anyone in the english dub to match the look of Glasses Kun.
But i know he gonna fit like Lowenthal with Minato (his PQ voice is amazing) and Bosch as Narukami.
Sadly to hear a full voice we have to wait to the p5 animation or Persona Arena : 5howdown (Persona Arena 3).

King Fost

Neo Member
Speaking of voice actors, I was perusing Yuri Lowenthal's voiceography and found out he was...Richard from Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles. No wonder Yosuke has a terrible luck stat. He's haunted by terrible demons. Ouch.

Xenoflare

Speaking of voice actors, I was perusing Yuri Lowenthal's voiceography and found out he was...Richard from Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles. No wonder Yosuke has a terrible luck stat. He's haunted by terrible demons. Ouch.

Oh yeah, the instant the trailer was playing and I was like oh hey it's Yuri again.

Nimby

Banned
Honestly, it was an unfair treatment of Kanji but it was totally realistic for a 16 year old like Yosuke to act the way he did.

I'm okay with the teasing and the camping scene, but it kinda felt unjustified in a story sense though. The teasing was never really resolved as in Yosuke getting his comeuppance. It actually would flow a lot better had
Yosuke been the one confused about his sexuality as evidenced by the cut content from his social link.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
To be honest i dont think in anyone in the english dub to match the look of Glasses Kun.
But i know he gonna fit like Lowenthal with Minato (his PQ voice is amazing) and Bosch as Narukami.
Sadly to hear a full voice we have to wait to the p5 animation or Persona Arena : 5howdown (Persona Arena 3).

That'll be a long time too.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I think it's a great scene. Bunch of teenagers misbehaving and mistreating each other. Almost exactly how campouts went when I was a teen. The only thing missing was one of them staying up all night obsessed over the campfire.

tP2FFzl.jpg

Nimby

Banned
I dunno, the pageants, Chie's disproportionate retribution that came with it, and the Amagi Inn scene afterwards were the low point for me.

Oh yeah, the pageant was definitely a low point for me. Way too cliche and unnecessary, and that school and it's crazy rules.

Xenoflare

Oh yeah, the pageant was definitely a low point for me. Way too cliche and unnecessary, and that school and it's crazy rules.

The humor scenes in general for p4 is really hit and miss for me. It's also a part of the reason why I really did not like the animes since they crank everything up to 11.

Maybe I'm just a jaded killjoy but the only "humor scene" I liked was kings game, and solely because of the persona 3 backdrop and nothing more.

And of course, Kanji being reborned as Venus is amusing too.

Nimby

Banned
It's fully elaborated in the Persona 3 design works, and featured prominently in his slink in FeMC's route.

That's very interesting, definitely makes me appreciate his character a lot more. I wonder why it wasn't originally touched upon?

The humor scenes in general for p4 is really hit and miss for me. It's also a part of the reason why I really did not like the animes since they crank everything up to 11.

Maybe I'm just a jaded killjoy but the only "humor scene" I liked was kings game, and solely because of the persona 3 backdrop and nothing more.

And of course, Kanji being reborned as Venus is amusing too.

The whole Inn scene was pretty 'meh' as well. It was even worse because the girls were the ones in the wrong, yet they didn't even attempt to apologize. Maybe I'm just a humorless prick or something lol

Xenoflare

That's very interesting, definitely makes me appreciate his character a lot more. I wonder why it wasn't originally touched upon?

Atlus probably spreaded itself too thin during the development for p3.

The new SEES slink for FeMC really fleshed out the cast as a whole.

The kings' game scene was the only scene in P4 that I think I genuinely hated. Just elicited a big long groan.

Chie's supposed to be energetic and upbeat but new Chie is just obnoxious and very ill-fitting for the game she's in. In a game that actually prides in itself in characters who aren't just a bunch of cartoon caricatures Erin plays Chie like a cartoon caricature, which is unfortunate because I know she's capable of better. She's been the low point of Golden for me so far. I let her slide in Arena, because, who gives a shit, but in an RPG setting I cannot sanction her buffoonery.

Atlus probably spreaded itself too thin during the development for p3.

I don't think that's the case. The interviews at the back of the P3 art book make it sound like the lack of teammate social links was on purpose in P3. They wanted the player to consider SEES separate from all their friends. I appreciate the attempt, even if it's better for party development if they all get social links like in all the later entries.

Xenoflare

I don't think that's the case. The interviews at the back of the P3 art book make it sound like the lack of teammate social links was on purpose in P3. They wanted the player to consider SEES separate from all their friends. I appreciate the attempt, even if it's better for party development if they all get social links like in all the later entries.

That..... sounded like a cop-out to me, but hey, how would I know :p

FluxWaveZ

That..... sounded like a cop-out to me, but hey, how would I know :p

How is it a cop-out when that's exactly the vibe that P3 was going for the whole game, and part of its core thematic? Even PQ addresses how SEES aren't really friends compared to the Investigation Team, but rather dissimilar people united for a common purpose.

It sounds baseless. Not having time to implement everything they wanted in the game goes for the vast majority of video games out there, anyways; P Studio said the same for Persona 4.

Xenoflare

P3 felt like a lot of cop outs to me

I never played the vanilla P3, what parts of the games are exclusive to FES/P3P? I'm under the impression that FES added a bunch of scenes here and there that wasn't in the original.

Playing P3P right now is a bit of a chore for me right now, can't believe I powered through the game back then.

P3 was the first time the team had made a game like that, so naturally they weren't going to have everything figured out from the beginning.

kewlmyc

I felt SEES was just a bunch of coworkers which a few close ties between members until the end of P3/Answer where they all became actual friends.

Xenoflare

How is it a cop-out when that's exactly the vibe that P3 was going for the whole game, and part of its core thematic? Even PQ addresses how SEES aren't really friends compared to the Investigation Team, but rather dissimilar people united for a common purpose.

It sounds baseless. Not having time to implement everything they wanted in the game goes for the vast majority of video games out there, anyways; P Studio said the same for Persona 4.

P3 was the first time the team had made a game like that, so naturally they weren't going to have everything figured out from the beginning.

What Green Mamba said.

I don't know why you are so hung up on this, all I did was sharing the my thoughts on P3 Fluxwave, it sounded like a cop out to me because it does, It's just my own thoughts, and I wasn't serious about it either.

Edit:I understand that not being able to put everything in applies to pretty much all games, but I can feel P3 is lacking in the character front, (not counting the answer). Sure, even it's intended to suit the theme for the game, I still would like more exploration on the characters to flesh them out a bit more in the original game. I don't see fleshing out the characters conflicts with the theme of P3

Nimby

Banned
I can see the juniors not really blending with the seniors that much, but Junpei, Yukari, and P3MC seemed to be close friends.

King Fost

Neo Member
The kings' game scene was the only scene in P4 that I think I genuinely hated. Just elicited a big long groan.

Chie's supposed to be energetic and upbeat but new Chie is just obnoxious and very ill-fitting for the game she's in. In a game that actually prides in itself in characters who aren't just a bunch of cartoon caricatures Erin plays Chie like a cartoon caricature, which is unfortunate because I know she's capable of better. She's been the low point of Golden for me so far. I let her slide in Arena, because, who gives a shit, but in an RPG setting I cannot sanction her buffoonery.

Yeah this. Chie's really kind of like a Resident Evil character when it comes to voice acting in that both versions are pretty bad. Tracey Rooney often sounds like she's on horse tranquilizers and doesn't really emote but Erin Fitzgerald is the complete opposite and seems like she's completely hopped up on caffeine. Like she's so hammy and over the top that I usually feel embarrassed for her listening to it and turn the sound down out of fear of other people hearing. I know hamminess is rather popular among the anime/JRPG crowd for some reason but Persona is just not really suited for that kind of performance.

Xenoflare

Yeah this. Chie's really kind of like a Resident Evil character when it comes to voice acting in that both versions are pretty bad. Tracey Rooney often sounds like she's on horse tranquilizers and doesn't really emote but Erin Fitzgerald is the complete opposite and seems like she's completely hopped up on caffeine. Like she's so hammy and over the top that I usually feel embarrassed for her listening to it and turn the sound down out of fear of other people hearing. I know hamminess is rather popular among the anime/JRPG crowd for some reason but Persona is just not really suited for that kind of performance.

It's funny because her performance suited Animation Chie quite well, since the anime is a quite bit hammier than the game.

Makio

I love Erin / Chie crazy performance , loved since day one in Golden.
The only scene dont like from her is the "Trial of the Dragon" scene overacted and no the best delivery from Erin , that sounds awful

But yeah i remember the original VA sounds off and like generic , but now i can difference the Chie voice from another voices on Persona.

Like she said in the Voices actors PQ interview , with Chie she goes physical and almost gesticulating every word....and i love her for that., she gave us the kind of personality i see from someone who loves action movies and that stuff and always looks ready to kick butts.

tumblr_mhd5rsigCt1qcvlv6o1_500.gif

To be honest in the vanilla P4 for she is the worst girl , but thanks to Erin performance in the upcoming media (Anime , Arena Ultimax , Golden ,Q) she grows so badly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBfvF7QNwcw
(one of the best moments in the Animation lol).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9Ld7B9qQ9Y
I dont wanna be the comic relief lol hahahaha

Hmm...

The only social links you can have are with the girls. (Fuuka, Mits, Yukari + Aigis in FES). Fuuka is the exception to this observation, but remaining three are also the ones with the closest ties to the main plot. So aside from the dating stuff, it would be important to know these characters intimately.

The Shinjiro/Ken/Akihiko story is mostly self-contained and separate. Junpei's character arc is more about what's happening in the present.

Characters written that way on purpose?

Xenoflare

I love Erin / Chie crazy performance , loved since day one in Golden.
The only scene dont like from her is the "Trial of the Dragon" scene overacted and no the best delivery from Erin , that sounds awful

But yeah i remember the original VA sounds off and like generic , but now i can difference the Chie voice from another voices on Persona.

Like she said in the Voices actors PQ interview , with Chie she goes physical and almost gesticulating every word....and i love her for that., is the kind of personality i see from someone who loves action movies and that stuff and always looks ready to kick butts.

tumblr_mhd5rsigCt1qcvlv6o1_500.gif

To be honest in the vanilla P4 for she is the worst girl , but thanks to Erin performance in the upcoming media (Anime , Arena Ultimax , Golden ,Q) she grows so badly.

I usually compare the voices between the Japanese and English voice overs to see if there are any big differences, Chie's Japanese voice is a lot less uhhh, nasally and hammy than Erin Chie. I feel her
Erica
voice would have been perfect.

But of course, the entire cast between Japanese and English is quite different, I liked English Teddie and Rise a lot more, particularly Teddie.

DNAbro

I usually compare the voices between the Japanese and English voice overs to see if there are any big differences, Chie's Japanese voice is a lot less uhhh, nasally and hammy than Erin Chie. I feel her
Erica
voice would have been perfect.

But of course, the entire cast between Japanese and English is quite different, I liked English Teddie and Rise a lot more, particularly Teddie.

yeah can't stand Teddie's Japanese voice. Just so annoying.

Makio

Japanese Teddie sounds funny in the Dancing all the Night trailer , but god that voice is no human ... awful.

And Rise , i know Japanese Rise is a big VA actress (i think i read that once) but man i cant think about Rise without Bailey voice. For me that's the perfect fit in a Persona role ever, i think i never read a complain about english Rise voice like others (even Yukiko voice have bad reviews).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kDwH1YInzM

One of the best fanboy moments in Ultimax is to hear Bailey singing again "True Story".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgS_5KizvtY

Im so happy about i think they gonna keep that scene in japanese , like they did in the Persona Animation.
She seriously need to make a full cover for that song , she have a great singing voice.

And thats why i looking forward for the dub for Marie Animation. A duet between Bailey (Rise) and Riegel (Marie) in the Concert episode ... gonna be great. (If Riegel can sing of course).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNuoE_s--9Y
But i dont think that piece crap have a dub o they make with a Devil Survivor Anime cast lol.

Xenoflare

Japanese Teddie sounds funny in the Dancing all the Night trailer , but god that voice is no human ... awful.

And Rise , i know Japanese Rise is a big VA actress (i think i read that once) but man i cant think about Rise without Bailey voice. For me that's the perfect fit in a Persona role ever, i think i never read a complain about english Rise voice like others (even Yukiko voice have bad reviews).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kDwH1YInzM

One of the best fanboy moments in Ultimax is to hear Bailey singing again "True Story".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgS_5KizvtY

Im so happy about i think they gonna keep that scene in japanese , like they did in the Persona Animation.

And thats why i looking forward for the dub for Marie Animation. A duet between Bailey (Rise) and Riegel (Marie) ... gonna be great. (If Riegel can sing of course).

But i dont think that piece crap have a dub o they make with a Devil Survivor Anime cast lol.

I seriously think I heard Tara Platt in the English DeSu2RB trailer, I imagine the cast might be different since the anime cast is not LA based IIRC.

And honestly? The anime dub is okay, nothing to write home about but it's just okay.

P3 and P4 hired all the big names in the Japanese VA world, it's not that surprising, Atlus generally like to re-cast them too, even in Japanese. Dubs have this thing going on too but it's more about the smaller talent pool.

Makio

In some way i like to see Golden Animation or the p3 movies with all new dub english cast.

To see another acting and performances of the caracthers we all know.

But maybe in that scenario they get good "replacements" like Maccer for Troy Baker Kanji (they almost identical) and Valerie Arem as Naoto , i really cant tell so much about the diferences between her and the other actress (i like the older more to be clear).

And yeah thats Tara Platt in Devil Survivor Record Breaker her voice is no easy to miss.

PD: I want Yuri Lowenthal Minato voice in the P3 movies so badly.... and Wendee Lee as Fukka gonna be great too.

Xenoflare

In some way i like to see Golden Animation or the p3 movies with all new dub english cast.

PD: I want Yuri Lowenthal Minato voice in the P3 movies so badly.... and Wendee Lee as Fukka gonna be great too.

I wish Wendee Lee could redub Fukka in P3/FES/P3P.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom