• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meia

I would be shocked if we even have a cameo in 5, probably. If it's more than that, it'll probably be something related to the Velvet Room(if there even is one in the game).

Of course, the tricky thing is some of the characters from P4 go on to become famous, or had already come to Inaba famous in their own rights, so it's probably the easiest cast you could do a cameo with.

Personally hoping P5 and P6 are their own separate groups, much like P1/P2 paired and P3/P4 paired. With the idea of PQ and the fighting game, you don't need the numbered games to have the massive cameos really. Though seeing a cop/detective Chie or Rise as an actress could be neat. :p

PK Gaming

At this point, I wouldn't even want cameos from any major P4 characters. Side characters like Shu, Ai or any of the other slink characters would be cool though.

So you're the one who outdbid me on those! :p That's sweet, nice.

Yep =D I got nearly everything I wanted from the auction, although Ebay screwed up towards the end of it and I ended up losing on both of Arue's prints due to some technical error :(

Ah well, 4 out of 5 aint bad, still waiting on one more to be delivered.

Fou-Lu

Defeating the Reaper is what gives me access to the optional block in P3 right? Any tips on winning that fight? (Also what is with Junpei having so many different weapons?)

Meia

Defeating the Reaper is what gives me access to the optional block in P3 right? Any tips on winning that fight? (Also what is with Junpei having so many different weapons?)

You can either do it the legit way, which you'll probably want to be at least lv65 and have a half hour of your time, making sure to keep it's attack debuffed while you keep your team fully buffed. Or you can do it the cheap way, which in P3 means fusing Odin to have Thunder Reign, hitting the Reaper with it, then critting with the next person by physically attacking it(Thunder Reign has a 100% of "shocking" the enemy it hits, which causes all physicals to crit at 100% chance) so the Reaper is down. Pass on All Out Attacks, and have the Reaper always was his turn getting back on it's feet. Will never attack you with this method. If you're playing P3P, this method doesn't work.

Auctopus

Sorry if this has been asked a million times but this will be my first persona game and I'm really excited...

Are we expecting this in the first half of '15? Seeing as before the port announcement, it was slated for round about now.

Nimby

Banned
Pass on All Out Attacks, and have the Reaper always was his turn getting back on it's feet. Will never attack you with this method. If you're playing P3P, this method doesn't work.

I'm guessing that was overlooked and why they revamped the battle system in P4. I thought it was cool how you could decide against using all-out attack to prevent your enemy from attacking their next turn. In P4 though, unless your doing more damage with standard skills, there's no reason not to go all-out.

Fou-Lu

You can either do it the legit way, which you'll probably want to be at least lv65 and have a half hour of your time, making sure to keep it's attack debuffed while you keep your team fully buffed. Or you can do it the cheap way, which in P3 means fusing Odin to have Thunder Reign, hitting the Reaper with it, then critting with the next person by physically attacking it(Thunder Reign has a 100% of "shocking" the enemy it hits, which causes all physicals to crit at 100% chance) so the Reaper is down. Pass on All Out Attacks, and have the Reaper always was his turn getting back on it's feet. Will never attack you with this method. If you're playing P3P, this method doesn't work.

He seems incredibly diffcult to defeat at level 69... is 65 really possible? Too bad the thunder reign idea doesn't work in P3P then. Guess it's time to level up some more.

Meia

I'm guessing that was overlooked and why they revamped the battle system in P4. I thought it was cool how you could decide against using all-out attack to prevent your enemy from attacking their next turn. In P4 though, unless your doing more damage with standard skills, there's no reason not to go all-out.

Yeah, it's mixed. P3 to P4 did remove the "cheese" ability of knocking down by adding a new status effect that does it(dizzy), but they also made the ability to get a "1 More!" easier too. In P3, every bit of damage you did had to hit a weakness to get another turn. If you miss one mob, or don't hit the weakness of everything, you don't get an extra attack to trigger. In P4, you could spam the AoE spells and as long as you hit one weakness you could just hit a different AoE to hit more, then go for the All Out. It's one of the reasons I think P4 was just much easier than the previous game.

Funnily enough, in P3 with the minibosses that were 3 shadows at once, you kind of felt you had to cheese a lil bit to even stand a chance. I guess that is a good point, P4 had waaaaaaaay fewer bosses in general. You had one miniboss in the middle of the dungeons, the end boss, and then a different optional end boss, while Tartarus threw something at you ever few floors.

He seems incredibly diffcult to defeat at level 69... is 65 really possible? Too bad the thunder reign idea doesn't work in P3P then. Guess it's time to level up some more.

My first time beating the Reaper was at 65 way back when, so it's possible, just really time consuming. I made sure he was always debuffed in terms of attack power and accuracy, while I was always buffed in defense and dodge. It's why it took so long: I didn't do a lot of damage to it per turn, it was just a war of attrition. I remember anytime he wasn't fully buffed/debuffed any of his attacks almost one-shotting any team mate. You have to figure that if an enemy does 300 damage with an attack, lowering it's attack will make it do 200 damage, while the attack hitting an ally that has their defense increased further lowers that damage to 100. Numbers probably aren't uber accurate, but that kind of "double-dipping" in terms of raising your strength can be overlooked in these games since you very rarely need to. It can make almost one-shotting some end bosses fun though. :D

At the end of the day, all of that is optional anyway. You don't need to go to Monad to beat the game, nor do you need any uber strong personas that being in the 80s/90s gives you(as a point of fact, most of the "Severe" level elemental spells are given by Personas not of these levels, Surt being the earliest in mid-50s iirc). It's a neat goal though. :)

Dantis

Sorry if this has been asked a million times but this will be my first persona game and I'm really excited...

Are we expecting this in the first half of '15? Seeing as before the port announcement, it was slated for round about now.

We have no idea when it'll be out, but it would be very optimistic to expect an English localisation in the first half of the year, I think.

Also welcome!

DNAbro

Probably in Japan. At least that is my guess. Q took awhile to come out here but I do think they will try and get it localized as fast as possible.

If you've never played a Persona game why are you so excited for P5? We haven't even seen anything from the game.
Just curious.

Fou-Lu

I managed to max all the social links on the first round without a guide, beyond knowing some tricks, so I figure I should actually make a go at some of the higher level personas, which also means going to monad so I can actually level up.

Sophia

I miss vanilla P3, where it wasn't a requirement to beat the Reaper to unlock Monad. You simply unlocked it by hitting the top of Tartarus.

Soulflarz

Banned
Yeah, sucks for anyone playing Portable tho, seeing as that strategy doesn't work intentionally.

Its annoying because the general strat is -> barely unlock thor/ be strong enough -> beat reaper -> go to monad and mass level, but then its
waste a ton of time leveling -> beat reaper -> waste a little time leveling

King Fost

Neo Member
So I was thinking about potentially interesting character background/story ideas for the next Persona but I was thinking one interesting thing they could do would have a character that was a victim of sexual abuse and blackmail by a guardian and go into depth about how it would affect them. Granted, this idea probably came about because I saw Lolita recently but I think if they pulled it off well, it could genuinely be extremely interesting.

It's pretty easy to fuck up though so maybe it's not so great, I dunno. What are your thoughts?

Soulflarz

Banned
So I was thinking about potentially interesting character background/story ideas for the next Persona but I was thinking one interesting thing they could do would have a character that was a victim of sexual abuse and blackmail by a guardian and go into depth about how it would affect them. Granted, this idea probably came about because I saw Lolita recently but I think if they pulled it off well, it could genuinely be extremely interesting.

It's pretty easy to fuck up though so maybe it's not so great, I dunno. What are your thoughts?

Id veto it on risk of fucking it up.

Vylash

i don't trust them to handle this properly, no thx

I really despise that they made the fusion spells an item. I really, really do.

Yeah, I guess it's for balance (probably specifically for Armageddon). Kinda OP so they need to limit you somehow, I guess. Though, I don't know if this is how it works, but in P3P do you even need the personas? So with the required materials you would have Armageddon fusion spell card but wouldn't have even made a Helel or Satan yet?

Also wouldn't mind fusion spells coming back (I think in P4G most of the unique spells your allies learned were basically fusion spells from P3, except maybe Chie's. It was probably based off of Best Friends but needed to be buffed since it was replaced by Heat Riser). Though admittedly the only ones I used was Cadenza early game, and Armageddon late game, and Infinity for the extra boss.

PK Gaming

I think they could pull it off. Junpei was actually a victim of domestic abuse from his alcoholic father, and it really messed him up. He's got an intense desire for love and affection. That's why he goes out of his way to get chummy with people, and it's also angry or depressed when he isn't acknowledged.

Of course, sexual abuse is a different kind beast altogether, but I think the Persona team can pull it off.

kewlmyc

No thank you. I honestly feel there are few writers out there that can pull something like this off in video game form and P-Studios probably aren't those writers.

Plus I personally don't want that in P5.

Gazoinks

I don't think sexual abuse will happen, simply because sex as a whole is pretty downplayed in the series (in addition to it being a tricky thing to do properly, of course). As PK said, though, there has been domestic abuse before, and I wouldn't be surprised if they touched on it again. It'd be an interesting spin on the prisoner theme if one of the characters was a "prisoner" in their own house due to abuse.

Personally, I don't think subject matter such as this would have a place in a Persona game - on a game of its own, most definitely, as long as the subject matter is handled immaculately because of how easy it is to mess up. But who knows how Persona 5, or future titles in the series, will end up in terms of characterization? In the end, it's up to the creators to decide what to put in their games.

FluxWaveZ

I don't think sexual abuse will happen, simply because sex as a whole is pretty downplayed in the series (in addition to it being a tricky thing to do properly, of course).

Disagree that sex is downplayed in the series. It's not overt when it doesn't need to be, sure, but the subject is a huge part of Lisa's character and is made explicit regarding her motivations when she has to confront her Shadow.

Gazoinks

Disagree that sex is downplayed in the series. It's not overt when it doesn't need to be, sure, but the subject is a huge part of Lisa's character and is made explicit regarding her motivations when she has to confront her Shadow.

That's fair. I admit I was thinking mostly of 3 & 4. :p

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Yeah, I guess it's for balance (probably specifically for Armageddon). Kinda OP so they need to limit you somehow, I guess. Though, I don't know if this is how it works, but in P3P do you even need the personas? So with the required materials you would have Armageddon fusion spell card but wouldn't have even made a Helel or Satan yet?

Also wouldn't mind fusion spells coming back (I think in P4G most of the unique spells your allies learned were basically fusion spells from P3, except maybe Chie's. It was probably based off of Best Friends but needed to be buffed since it was replaced by Heat Riser). Though admittedly the only ones I used was Cadenza early game, and Armageddon late game, and Infinity for the extra boss.

Nope, you didn't need the required Personae.

Just a lot of the right gems. You needed 99 of one and 10 of the other.

King Fost

Neo Member
I don't think sexual abuse will happen, simply because sex as a whole is pretty downplayed in the series (in addition to it being a tricky thing to do properly, of course). As PK said, though, there has been domestic abuse before, and I wouldn't be surprised if they touched on it again. It'd be an interesting spin on the prisoner theme if one of the characters was a "prisoner" in their own house due to abuse.

Fair enough. Tbh, I really do suspect deep down they'd mess it up because that's not an easy subject to tackle. Even the very few games that tackle it such as Silent Hill 2 don't do it very well. It's really a fool's hope tbh; I mean fucking Kanji and Naoto attracted controversy despite the decent and progressive writing behind them, I wouldn't want to imagine the kind of backlash a plot element like that would cause even if it got pulled off well.

Disabilities or disorders would also be pretty interesting regarding character stories too, whether it be blindness, manic depression, or anorexia. Mental disorders in particular are such natural choices for this kind of series that I'm wondering why they haven't tried it before.

Dantis

Fair enough. Tbh, I really do suspect deep down they'd mess it up because that's not an easy subject to tackle. Even the very few games that tackle it such as Silent Hill 2 don't do it very well. It's really a fool's hope tbh; I mean fucking Kanji and Naoto attracted controversy despite the decent and progressive writing behind them, I wouldn't want to imagine the kind of backlash a plot element like that would cause even if it got pulled off well.

Disabilities or disorders would also be pretty interesting regarding character stories too, whether it be blindness, manic depression, or anorexia. Mental disorders in particular are such natural choices for this kind of series that I'm wondering why they haven't tried it before.

This has always bothered me. That Naoto attracted controversy was bonkers, in my opinion.

People just see what they want to see. I'm sure there'll be controversial alternative interpretations to P5 regardless of what happens in the story.

Weiss

Banned
This has always bothered me. That Naoto attracted controversy was bonkers, in my opinion.

People just see what they want to see. I'm sure there'll be controversial alternative interpretations to P5 regardless of what happens in the story.

Kanji was handled pretty unfortunately. His sexuality was more often than not used for jokes.

Agree on Naoto, though. While having a fully realized transgender character in a game would be thrilling (if only because Catherine fucked it up so hard), Naoto's arc was about the gender persecution she's faced with in her field, as well as her own complex about her supposed childishness.

Dantis

Kanji was handled pretty unfortunately. His sexuality was more often than not used for jokes.

Agree on Naoto, though. While having a fully realized transgender character in a game would be thrilling (if only because Catherine fucked it up so hard), Naoto's arc was about the gender persecution she's faced with in her field, as well as her own complex about her supposed childishness.

I actually thought Catherine did it fine. It wasn't made a big deal of at all.

Xenoflare

Yeah, it's mostly about the gerder persecution she faced/would face, and the fact that her parents died when she was very little, so she's in this awkward place due to her age and her upbringing.

I'm pretty content on how Naoto is handled in the game despite of it's shortcomings, it's mostly about the timing, but consider the fact that she holds the most amount of information, making her join late is the only solution.

I also don't think Catherine did it wrong, unless you are talking about Toby's reaction..... But even then I still find it to be harmless and overall okay.

I can't really take Catherine seriously though.

Meia

I also took a bit of problem with Naoto's arc in that the female angle was a last minute addition, wasn't it? Though, I guess I don't know how late it was when they made that change, so...

The only complaints I heard about Kanji was they never went far enough, which was the same complaint with Naoto's, but I thought they were both handled very well. And yeah, Catherine's was handled extremely well too, so I'd like to think Atlus of any developer I more faith in to handle a touchy subject matter.

Weiss

Banned
I actually thought Catherine did it fine. It wasn't made a big deal of at all.

I also don't think Catherine did it wrong, unless you are talking about Toby's reaction..... But even then I still find it to be harmless and overall okay.

I can't really take Catherine seriously though.

I liked
Erica
a lot, because she was often the voice of reason amidst the chaos and her relation with Vincent was sweet, but the game, I unfortunately do believe, treats her status as a transwoman as a joke. Vincent and his friends constantly joke that they have to "warn" Toby and find somebody else for him, and it's later implied that she's fallen victim to the dreams that Vincent and the other Sheep experience, which is, essentially, the game saying she's actually a man. And of course, when Toby finds out he cries about how he wants his virginity back while she laughs at him, as if being in a relationship with a transwoman is some kind of gross sin, and worst of all, her keeping it a secret comes off as making her some kind of sexual bogeyman that LGBT individuals often get shamed as.

I mean, she's an excellent character and I loved her in that game, but it still came off as deeply offensive to me.

Nimby

Banned
I'm fine with Kanji's arc because it wasn't really about sexuality, he just wanted to be accepted. I didn't like how the teasing went unnoticed by the MC. I wanted take up for my bro, not cheer him on to do something stupid. But I do think they either played it safe or backed out due to time constraints.

Guess Who

Banned
The thing about Catherine is that literally every character is a terrible human being (with Erica being ironically the sole exception most of the time).

I don't think any of the character's views about relationships or sexuality are meant to be taken seriously, it feels like their shittiness about these things is basically the point.

Nimby

Banned
I think they could pull it off. Junpei was actually a victim of domestic abuse from his alcoholic father, and it really messed him up. He's got an intense desire for love and affection. That's why he goes out of his way to get chummy with people, and it's also angry or depressed when he isn't acknowledged.

Of course, sexual abuse is a different kind beast altogether, but I think the Persona team can pull it off.

WOAH. Is this P3P stuff? I never knew this.

Vylash

not to mention the way Yosuke treated him (the camping scene comes to mind) is super gross

Xenoflare

The thing about Catherine is that literally every character is a terrible human being (with Erica being ironically the sole exception most of the time).

I don't think any of the character's views about relationships or sexuality are meant to be taken seriously, it feels like their shittiness about these things is basically the point.

I don't think Catherine was ever serious. It was more of a "look at what we can do" thing.

The actual characters are way too one dimensional and shallow to carry some sort of serious or complex ideologies, I walked into Catherine expecting laughs and charms and I wasn't disappointed.

On a side note, Catherine's dub is perfect. I really hoped new Chie would sound more like
Erica
, Erin's Chie is a tad bit over the top compared to rest of the rather natural sounding cast.

Yosuke is the base breaker it seems, I did not enjoy the camping scene at all but overall I still consider Yousuke to be very likeable. The camping scene is where I welcome the skip function in Golden with open arms.

Come to think of it, Junpei's keenjerk reaction when Akihiko assigned FeMC as the leader was pretty unclassy too.

DNAbro

Wait what really? Never knew that.

Xenoflare

Wait what really? Never knew that.

FeMC route cleared and fleshed out Junpei quite a bit.

I don't think I ever caught that in the Male route

He
awakened his persona the night when he ran away from home, and Akihiko found him, and brought him to SEES

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom