• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So wasn't there something else Persona related that released today? Something about dancing? Oh well, back to the P5 trailer.

But seriously, releasing this trailer with P4D has made the entire focus shift to P5. Feels like P4D's release has been lost in the mix.

artsi

So wasn't there something else Persona related that released today? Something about dancing? Oh well, back to the P5 trailer.

But seriously, releasing this trailer with P4D has made the entire focus shift to P5. Feels like P4D's release has been lost in the mix.

Yeah. Like I've been saying in many P5 threads, they never had any other option than to postpone P5 marketing campaign (and maybe even the whole release) until after P4D came out, because it will really steal the spotlight. It already did, lol.

Sophia

It was inevitable, no matter what they did. Their attempts at lessening the impact in Japan (by including the trailer with DAN) have backfired spectacularly however.

Theodoricos

So, with the Persona 5 PV 02 now leaked, which obviously didn't come with a release date, when is the next possible time that we could be given a release date for the game?

Will it be in some of the next Famitsu issues? Or at any other conventions?

artsi

So, with the Persona 5 PV 02 now leaked, which obviously didn't come with a release date, when is the next possible time that we could be given a release date for the game?

The release dates for P3 and P4 were announced in Famitsu, so that's my bet.
Maybe even next week, or not, but soon anyway.

Famitsu or Dengeki. The next convention is TGS I believe, which as Flux has pointed out time and time again, is too late to ramp up promotional material and release dates.

There's still the Persona Magazine stuff to come, which at this point has to be new information. They can't leave it that long before ramping up their marketing.

Care about it getting leaked? Clearly not given that it was obviously going to get leaked.

not the leak, but more the attitude about what they're doing. They know that this is an asinine way to advertise a trailer, but they don't care. In the end, it's their fault if they find themselves staring at an angry mob of fans who didn't get info not two weeks until release date, because they didn't adapt like most other Japanese companies.

Atlus makes great games. They certainly don't know jack about marketing them, aside from troll reveals and drip feeding info.

Sophia

What else could they have possibly expected?

Perhaps.... not releasing a trailer with Dancing All Night ensuring that it gets released to the internet (which thanks to the Streisand effect and Atlus trying to take it down, will never leave the internet now) at the same time of DAN's release date, thereby completely overshadowing the game they're intending to release and potentially defeating the point of their pre-order bonus in the first place?

Ultimately, Dancing All Night being delayed as much as it has been is the main reason for it, but it doesn't take a marketing genius to figure out why releasing the trailer with Dancing All Night was kind of a bad idea even for Japan. All that remains to be seen is if it helped sales or not, which we won't know until the Media Create numbers come out.

Lunar15

not the leak, but more the attitude about what they're doing. They know that this is an asinine way to advertise a trailer, but they don't care. In the end, it's their fault if they find themselves staring at an angry mob of fans who didn't get info not two weeks until release date, because they didn't adapt like most other Japanese companies.

Atlus makes great games. They certainly don't know jack about marketing them, aside from troll reveals and drip feeding info.

They'll release a full trailer in due time. How would you market it differently? Put it in a sony press conference next to The Last Guardian and a Final Fantasy 7 remake?

I'm not saying that wouldn't work, but I'm also not sure it would have the impact you think it would.

Quite frankly, I'm not sure why anyone's mad right now. We got the trailer even earlier than intended. Everyone seems pretty jazzed and the buzz is picking up.

It's not up on PSN? Some stores were selling it early, but I'm pretty sure P4D is up on PSN right now. At least, I own it and am playing it.

Nope, it's annoying, because I was going to give in and buy it digitally rather than waiting for mine to arrive. You have it because you got the preorder in, right?

FluxWaveZ

Nope, it's annoying, because I was going to give in and buy it digitally rather than waiting for mine to arrive. You have it because you got the preorder in, right?

Yeah, I pre-ordered. I guess it was just available early for those who pre-ordered the game then.

Perhaps.... not releasing a trailer with Dancing All Night ensuring that it gets released to the internet (which thanks to the Streisand effect and Atlus trying to take it down, will never leave the internet now) at the same time of DAN's release date, thereby completely overshadowing the game they're intending to release and potentially defeating the point of their pre-order bonus in the first place?

This is it. Our perception is kind of warped because P4D isn't actually out in the West, but the P5 leaks must be overshadowing P4D's release even in Japan. There was no need to match a P5 unveil with the exact date P4D would be coming out. They could have released PV02 at any point before today and it would have been beneficial for both Persona 5 and P4D. The only factor is whether or not this Blu-ray actually boosted P4D sales.

I like the reversal that seems to be happening with P5. In 3/4, while some of the casts did like beating on Shadows, the ultimate goal was to right a wrong and return to their normal lives, and the Personas were "the mask you wear" to deal with that. In P5, unless the cast is stealing something to somehow right a wrong, they are the instigators of the injustice, and, given that the MC appears to remove his mask to summon, the impression I'm getting is that the Personas are actually their "true selves" and their docile day life is the mask they don't want.

It's pretty cool. I'm going to be a little disappointed if the MC isn't unhinged on some level; he looks more reckless and bloodthirsty than the 3/4 protagonists did, not to mention it would be an excellent avenue to explore when your series has psychology roots.

They'll release a full trailer in due time. How would you market it differently? Put it in a sony press conference next to The Last Guardian and a Final Fantasy 7 remake?

I'm not saying that wouldn't work, but I'm also not sure it would have the impact you think it would.

Quite frankly, I'm not sure why anyone's mad right now. We got the trailer even earlier than intended. Everyone seems pretty jazzed and the buzz is picking up.

Yes. considering that P5 is one of the few exclusively PS titles releasing in 2015, it would have helped try and get the JRPG crowd in the PS4 right now. Who the fuck knows when the FF7 remake it coming out.

I'm only mad because Atlus squanders their chances to raise the profile of this series over, and over, and over again. The snub at E3 this year was ludicrous. Especially when you consider the situation. Yeah, P5 wouldn't have made a dent in the three megatons Sony dropped, but it's one of the few games coming out on their platform EXCLUSIVELY that is (for the most part) not far away.

Sophia

This is it. Our perception is kind of warped because P4D isn't actually out in the West, but the P5 leaks must be overshadowing P4D's release even in Japan. There was no need to match a P5 unveil with the exact date P4D would be coming out. They could have released PV02 at any point before today and it would have been beneficial for both Persona 5 and P4D. The only factor is whether or not this Blu-ray actually boosted P4D sales.

Now that you reminded me of it, I'm kinda surprised there wasn't a simultaneous release date for Dancing All Night. But I guess if they had done that and only released this trailer, even more people would be outraged, huh?

For what it's worth, what actually is new in the trailer is legitimately awesome. So there's that.

Now that you reminded me of it, I'm kinda surprised there wasn't a simultaneous release date for Dancing All Night. But I guess if they had done that and only released this trailer, even more people would be outraged, huh?

For what it's worth, what actually is new in the trailer is legitimately awesome. So there's that.

Certainly, it's unfortunate the rest of the trailer is 80% recycled.

That's what I'm most curious about. It's around 3 am in Japan right now, so a lot of people don't have the game yet. Now that the trailer has been leaked and is freely available online, will it actually hurt sales? If posts on GAF are any indication, it's a possibility due to a shift in hype.
fall 2015 - P4Dan usa, P5 JP (?)
winter 2015 - P5 usa

what do you guys think?
I'm thinking we'll see a repeat of last year's release schedule. DAN in September, P5 in November.

Nimby

Banned
My thoughts on the trailer. Just as good as the first, but albeit disappointing since we were expecting more. I hope we get some more info today from Atlus. Spoilered, just in case.

Pros
- Nice gameplay footage, most developers don't blend cinematic trailers and gameplay trailers.
- Stylish, as expected.
- Showed off a lot without spoiling.
- Seems we will get our release date during TGS? Maybe pre-orders will be up. But at least we don't have to wait very long for new info.
- The battle system looks better than ever. Hope more info on that is revealed.

Cons
- Would like to see more footage on school life/social links. No spoilers, just to see how they've evolved.
- Some uninterrupted gameplay would be nice in the future. Some dungeon crawling and some battles.
- Show off more demon/persona models please.
- More info about characters other than the protagonist.

Tamanon

Banned
Now that P4D is releasing, I expect we'll be getting many more regular updates on the various systems and characters. As we've seen on the other rollouts, Atlus likes periodic updates.

Lunar15

I guess I just can't get too mad at a trailer that doesn't show "enough" because the game is still coming out.

I can understand disappointment, though. It is what it is, I guess. I would just like a release date at this point.

FluxWaveZ

Most gamers still don't know who we are, much less general public.

Persona in particular, is a series that deserves every opportunity to become more renowned. I've been trying to do that in my own small way, and Persona 5 is looking to have everything going for it to become a big hit, without adding a "relatively" qualifier.

It's hard not knowing what goes on behind the scenes and having to speculate about things we don't know about. All I want is to see Persona gain success.

Now that P4D is releasing, I expect we'll be getting many more regular updates on the various systems and characters. As we've seen on the other rollouts, Atlus likes periodic updates.

For Persona 5? You're dreaming.

Theodoricos

I feel like the expectations were just higher because we've been waiting for three days for the trailer to be leaked, getting our hopes up every time a screenshot was shown and then getting frustrated when people who had the game didn't broadcast the trailer.

The reaction would've absolutely been more positive if PV 02 had just been released normally during the Sony conference or something.

Lunar15

I expect P5 to do quite well and if the quality is high, word of mouth is going to do even better for it.

That said, find me an anime game that's reached true mass appeal in the west through anything other than word of mouth or pure nostalgia. Atlus ain't a big company, they don't have the marketing dollars to throw around like Square Enix, or even Namco Bandai.

I'm not even sure Sony would have wanted to have this japanese language only trailer in their E3 press conference. It seems they only extend that courtesy to the very biggest of japanese developers. I doubt that's even Atlus' choice, really.

FluxWaveZ

I'm not even sure Sony would have wanted to have this japanese language only trailer in their E3 press conference. It seems they only extend that courtesy to the very biggest of japanese developers. I doubt that's even Atlus' choice, really.

After the reaction they got at the PlayStation Experience keynote for even uttering the word "Persona"? I highly doubt this. I bet Sony would definitely have been open to showing this very trailer off at their E3 conference.

Lunar15

After the reaction they got at the PlayStation Experience keynote for even uttering the word "Persona"? I highly doubt this. I bet Sony would definitely have been open to showing this very trailer off at their E3 conference.

PSX =/= E3. It's a different stage. I'm not saying Sony couldn't have done it, but I honestly think it was as much their decision to not have it in there as it was Atlus'. I think that if they wanted it, they would have gotten it.

Sony didn't even show Wild again at E3, a title they're helping to develop.

Sophia

You know what they really should have done?

Included a playable PS3 demo. That can't be pirated easily AND it could be included for the English version of DAN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom