• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

muteki

Within the context of of what is potentially a 100 hour game, 2-3 hours of intro doesn't seem too bad to me. Also, compared with several sections of the game later on, a lot of story is happening in those first few hours.

I wouldn't have complained had there been a Yosuke or Chie dungeon though.

JCX

I think the slow intro is almost entirely due to the fact that you enter the TV once before you fight anything. The fact that you go in, come out, and go in again before you fight makes it feel like it's taking longer than it should. It also takes awhile before you see how things are going to "work", essentially. A lot of information is being passed, but you don't know quite how it fits together, like social links. It's a completely valid complaint, but it's also one of those things where once you get past it, you're basically hooked.

I mostly play games for the battle/combat systems, so I want at least an appetizer of what will come within the first 30 minutes. I'm mad that I had to wait over an hour just to get the idea of the battle system. If I ended up hating the battle system, it would be close to 2 hours of plodding for nothing.

Chrono Cross is my ideal method - intro cinematic, short dungeon, then you're in the full game.

Lunar15

It really kind of depends on how much time they want to leave between the beginning and when the MC discovers his Persona. As far as I can tell, it looks like our P5 protag is getting it pretty early, but it's hard to know at this point.

Pachimari

Just bought a Vita-1000, PlayStation TV and Persona 2: Innocent Sin on sale. Super nice!

I'm gonna start all over with Persona 4 and complete that first though, after I have played through Final Fantasy VI on Android.

I hope you all are having a nice summer!
9DRui60.jpg

I think the slow intro is almost entirely due to the fact that you enter the TV once before you fight anything. The fact that you go in, come out, and go in again before you fight makes it feel like it's taking longer than it should. It also takes awhile before you see how things are going to "work", essentially. A lot of information is being passed, but you don't know quite how it fits together, like social links. It's a completely valid complaint, but it's also one of those things where once you get past it, you're basically hooked.

However, I'll always appreciate the slower intro from a story angle because I think it does a great job of setting up that sleepy, small town vibe that gets shaken up with the murder mystery.

You mean like how the anime compresses it? The main character gains his persona when he first enters the TV instead.

I don't know if that fixes much.

I consider the intro finished when you finally have control of the character and can make decisions day to day. Pushing up the first battle means there's just a bigger delay between that and the rest of the tutorial which is
Shadow Yosuke

The introduction I feel is long not because its setting up the murder mystery plot but because it's laying the foundation for three characters, all at once. The introduction throws a lot at you:
Yukiko and Chie's relationship dynamic, Chie looking out for Yukiko, Yukiko being popular among boys, Yukiko not being proud about Inaba, Yosuke being a misfit, local shops conflict with Junes, Yosuke liking Saki Konishi
It's so that when you encounter all these shadow characters in a row, it makes sense. But it takes time to set all this up and going into the game blind, it's not something you think is relevant.

The introduction would be shorter if the first arc of the story only involved you learning about one character instead of three. But atlas wants you to have a full party ASAP.

kiyoaki

I've been thinking a bit about which version of P5 to get. Barring a really exciting limited edition, I think I'd like to go digital for the Japanese version, simply so I won't have to pay postal charges and get the game a bit earlier.

The game will be released on the Japanese PSN store, right? So far, to the best of my knowledge and according to the Japanese PSN site, only a disc version has been announced.

arue

I hope you all are having a nice summer!
I thought she would have longer hair by then, but that grown up Nanako o_o
The closest P3 could get with HD graphics.
Pickups from AX. New shirt, new hoodie, new wall scroll and the bag that was given away with purchase from the Atlus booth:
So jelly, though I should be getting the P3P wall scroll and the P5 bag sometime soon.

FluxWaveZ

Sega says that they learned from Atlus when it comes to western markets, and that if quality Japanese titles are developed for home consoles, the audience for the games don't have to solely depend on domestic consumers, but can be extended to fans overseas.

Oh yeah, and they say they'll have console game announcement(s) at TGS. Naturally, this could implicate Atlus too.

Sophia

Sega says that they learned from Atlus when it comes to western markets, and that if quality Japanese titles are developed for home consoles, the audience for the games don't have to solely depend on domestic consumers, but can be extended to fans overseas.

Oh yeah, and they say they'll have console game announcement(s) at TGS. Naturally, this could implicate Atlus too.

Unfortunately for Sega, actions speak louder than words. We'll see if this amounts to anything in the long haul.

FluxWaveZ

There hasn't been a clearer forecast of Persona news since before about August 16, 2013—when P4AU was surprise announced via a loketest—or before September 26, 2013, when P4AU was officially announced and when the News Flash! 2013 teaser website went up. Since then, we've always had something to expect and pretty much had an idea of when to expect it between countdowns; weekly updates for PQ, P4AU and P4D; dates for Persona 3 movie updates, etc.

It's weird; following the news so closely, I've always had tons of notes regarding what to expect next and when, but now there's practically nothing. The next thing would be an Atlus merchandise list for Comiket 88 at the middle of this month, I guess.

I wonder how the activity in this community thread is going to be from now on. It's looking like it will be plummeting for a while, with P4D's release and the limitations put in place for P5 discussion.

I wonder how the activity in this community thread is going to be from now on. It's looking like it will be plummeting for a while, with P4D's release and the limitations put in place for P5 discussion.

What limitations?

Also, what exactly is the Atlus Faithful group?

Sophia

Technically, the rules don't outright prohibit P5 talk as long as you're spoiler tagging stuff and not embedding screenshots. Although they do encourage discussing them in appropriate threads on the gaming side if such threads are available.

Also, what exactly is the Atlus Faithful group?

They're an elite group of Atlus fans who go above and beyond the call of duty, regarding all Atlus projects as religious symbols and Atlus as the mighest and holiness within the land!

It's just another name for their mailing list. Which is actually pretty interesting to read even if GAF always gets to new news before the mailing list does.

Man, those T shirts are boss. Very jealous.

Thanks and they had more shirts (I kinda regret not getting the Aegis one but I rarely buy white t-shirts), but I liked the silhouette P4D shirt most. The hoodie... I was going to buy that anyways lol.

I'm actually really partial to the bag though, it's pretty cool plus I prefer they made it a "backpack" rather than a "shoulder bag" so that it's easier to carry around when walking. Too bad it doesn't hold a lot of weight.

So jelly, though I should be getting the P3P wall scroll and the P5 bag sometime soon.

That wall scroll sold pretty fast (it was gone by the end of Day 2) and I think you'll like the bag very much.

For those curious, the other side of the bag is just the P5 logo, as well as the backpack straps.

There hasn't been a clearer forecast of Persona news since before about August 16, 2013—when P4AU was surprise announced via a loketest—or before September 26, 2013, when P4AU was officially announced and when the News Flash! 2013 teaser website went up. Since then, we've always had something to expect and pretty much had an idea of when to expect it between countdowns; weekly updates for PQ, P4AU and P4D; dates for Persona 3 movie updates, etc.

It's weird; following the news so closely, I've always had tons of notes regarding what to expect next and when, but now there's practically nothing. The next thing would be an Atlus merchandise list for Comiket 88 at the middle of this month, I guess.

Yeah, suddenly being without any kind of timeline is kinda a new experience, at least new for the last year or so. I'm really looking forward to seeing what happens next though, because if P5 and #FE are both coming out in 2015 (in Japan), the next couple months should be really interesting. I'm curious to see how - and how much - those two get promoted, because I feel like they're going to be very different scenarios.

My feeling is that there will be nothing P5 related until almost all of the P4D DLC is out, specifically that the next feature will be in the Famitsu that comes on August 13th. Add four months, and the release date will be mid December to coincide with the next Persona magazine that comes out in winter.

#FE is a total toss up, which should be pretty interesting too.

Can't wait to see how wrong I am.

Both Splatoon and Xeonblade X got very heavy marketing from Nintendo in the lead up to their launch on the Japanese side. I expect GE#FE to follow similarly, with blog updates getting more frequent. The feature this week was mostly just E3 coverage, so not really indicative of much yet. I'm assuming that it will follow a similar pattern to Xenoblade at least, and the website is set up for charecter trailers like we've seen with every other Atlus game.

As for Persona 5, it was about a months delay between Soul Hackers and SMTIV's first public trailer, so Persona 5 might be similar. I kind of just expect the website to just update on a random Friday within the next few weeks. Hopefully the next media will come before TGS, that seems like the absolute latest we could get anything.

And I guess Etrian V could show up at some point later this year too.

Both Splatoon and Xeonblade X got very heavy marketing from Nintendo in the lead up to their launch on the Japanese side. I expect GE#FE to follow similarly, with blog updates getting more frequent. The feature this week was mostly just E3 coverage, so not really indicative of much yet. I'm assuming that it will follow a similar pattern to Xenoblade at least, and the website is set up for charecter trailers like we've seen with every other Atlus game.

Oh, good to know. I didn't follow Xenoblade X or Splatoon at all, so I wasn't sure how they were handled. Thanks.

I also
sadly
forgot all about EOV. I'm curious about when that'll show up again.

FluxWaveZ

It's a weird and likely unfortunate for #FE that both P5 and that game might be releasing very close to each other. If both games were published by Atlus, that definitely wouldn't be happening, but there might not actually be a choice here unless one of the two publishers decides, for some reason, to push their game out of the way of the other one for fear of cannibalizing sales. I don't think the fact that both games are on different platforms alleviates the issue by much, in this specific case.

For Persona 5: They've been doing some weird stuff when it comes to that game's marketing from the start, so it's hard to tell what comes next. Normally, I would think that they would publicly release PV02 (or an extended version of it) this month with a website update. Then a Famitsu/Dengeki PlayStation feature to go with that, which would lead into SCEJ's pre-TGS conference, which would then lead into a full on media cycle until the game's out.

For #FE: The schedule for Directs can be erratic, but the next time we hear about this could very well be through a Nintendo Direct at some point in August/September (which would also reveal the release date). After that, we could get monthly trailers showing off the big aspects of that game, along with the occasional character trailer, where things would ramp up with a few presentations and new details a month away from the game's release.

Etrian Odyssey V will definitely resurface at some point this year in some form, even if it's just a platform and release year announcement.

I think a new Atlus developed game will be announced at some point this year, too. If not, they'd be going into 2016 with their only announced game being EOV, which would be interesting.

Umm...is there a reason why this countdown was 5 years off? Or am I missing something very obvious?

Not sure, but I guess the countdown reset at some point after it initially ended because of a website update. Maybe that wasn't the first time, but there was 100+ days there at some point this year, and now it's over again.

I'm not sure that PV02 will ever see a public release, or at least it won't be the next trailer that we see. It's basically more of PV01, it doesn't really show much more of the game besides a few teases and it's not really what I'd expect from a new PV. There's no real loss if it never gets a public release. I'd expect a new PV to show something more substantially new. At the very least properly reveal a new charecter and also show some more of the mechanics, like social links or combat. There's not really much point in PV's that keep showing the same things.

I think a new Atlus developed game will be announced at some point this year, too. If not, they'd be going into 2016 with their only announced game being EOV, which would be interesting.
Maybe that team maniax game? Could be too early to show if it's 2017 though. I'm sure Atlus will publish vanilla ware's next game as well.

FluxWaveZ

I'm not sure that PV02 will ever see a public release, or at least it won't be the next trailer that we see. It's basically more of PV01, it doesn't really show much more of the game besides a few teases and it's not really what I'd expect from a new PV. There's no real loss if it never gets a public release. I'd expect a new PV to show something more substantially new. At the very least properly reveal a new charecter and also show some more of the mechanics, like social links or combat. There's not really much point in PV's that keep showing the same things.

It'll have to resurface publicly at some point, even if it's in an extended form. Editing a trailer like that takes work and it'd surprise me if one that lengthy would be relegated to a pre-order disc. Atlus hasn't been shy when it comes to uploading slightly longer same-ish trailers for their games before and, PV02 contains at least a minute of new footage.

If we continue with the SMTIV comparison, the timeline went like this:

1. Soul Hackers 3DS; SMT IV debut trailer (1:59) on August 30, 2012.
  2. SMT IV second trailer (3:44) on September 17, 2012.
  3. SMT IV second trailer extended (4:49) on October 5, 2012.
PV02 makes me think of point 2 and 3, and they'd be showing something truly new at a larger event or at an occasion, so it just seems like something that would be easy to throw out there before September.

Maybe that team maniax game? Could be too early to show if it's 2017 though. I'm sure Atlus will publish vanilla ware's next game as well.

Yeah, it might be too early to show off Team Maniax's project if that's due in 2017.

It's baseless, but I have a feeling the time is right for the announcement of an SMT spin-off. And I don't mean another Megaten branch-off, I mean a spin-off game based on SMT just like EMD, PQ, P4A and P4D, mainly handled by another development company as a collaboration.

Makio

Wonder how serious the chances are we get
Persona 3 Dancing All Night
in the future... i love it if they make it possible.

I see that more possible than a sequel to P4 Dancing All Night , or Q. Still no sure if they are going to made another Arena game...
Maybe with Persona 5 or SMT X FE characters.

Meia

Thanks to a thread on gaming I found out that Pewdiepie is doing a playthrough of Catherine. Interesting thing about that of course is that the the first vid of the beginning of the game is only 2 weeks old and has 4 MILLION views already.

atlusprime

Atlus PR
Thanks to a thread on gaming I found out that Pewdiepie is doing a playthrough of Catherine. Interesting thing about that of course is that the the first vid of the beginning of the game is only 2 weeks old and has 4 MILLION views already.

Yeahhhhhh, that'll happen. If all his subscribers lived in one country, it would be the 36th most populous country on the planet and have more people than Iraq.

Makio

Catherine the game is always in sale in the PS store , seriously if you not played the PS3 version yet is because you dont want to.

I remember i get it for $9 last year. Maybe Pewdie or whatever his name is , is going to help a couple of casuals to buy the game..

That game is awesome and great
and a pain in the ass
in hard mode.

Meia

Yeahhhhhh, that'll happen. If all his subscribers lived in one country, it would be the 36th most populous country on the planet and have more people than Iraq.

It's just amazing how much exposure a game can get from people like him. I wonder if it's something game devs notice when it happens?

cj_iwakura

Yes, gooood. Catherine tournament hype, wool for the wool god.

Rainy

Banned
So did y'all like Persona Q a lot? I've played P3 and P4G and since PQ is on sale I'm thinking of picking it up. I'm aware it's in the style of Etrian Odyssey, but I've never played any of the series. Still heard it's good though, right?

I mean it's not that they don't have games. They just never fucking bring them over.

Nachos

Yeah, it might be too early to show off Team Maniax's project if that's due in 2017.

It's baseless, but I have a feeling the time is right for the announcement of an SMT spin-off. And I don't mean another Megaten branch-off, I mean a spin-off game based on SMT just like EMD, PQ, P4A and P4D, mainly handled by another development company as a collaboration.
Has anything related to Devilizer ever popped up?

So did y'all like Persona Q a lot? I've played P3 and P4G and since PQ is on sale I'm thinking of picking it up. I'm aware it's in the style of Etrian Odyssey, but I've never played any of the series. Still heard it's good though, right?
The actual plot is pretty back-loaded, but the game still has a lot of (nonsexual) fanservice for people who played 3 and 4 and is littered with character interactions throughout to make up for it. Still, the gameplay is pretty different, even though Atlus did a pretty good job of translating Persona mechanics to Etrian.

If you want a decent idea of how the game plays, I'd recommend trying the demos for IV, Untold, or Untold 2 (once that releases in a week). IV will give you a better idea of how much you can customize things, while the Untolds are more limited, but have pre-defined characters if you need a more character-driven story. The Untolds also have classic modes with pretty similar levels of customization to IV's, but they're not included in their demos.

FluxWaveZ

Has anything related to Devilizer ever popped up?

Aside from the registrant changing from Atlus to Index Corporation earlier this year, which happened to all other Atlus trademarks, no. Like Storie or Asraga Adventure Chronicle, I'm not convinced "Deviliser" is actually anything worth looking into or anything to expect.

Zolo

It's just amazing how much exposure a game can get from people like him. I wonder if it's something game devs notice when it happens?

They do. It's why he gets to stream games early sometimes as well as getting paid to stream things.

I would assume the devs take note.

I remember when he played Skate 3, his popularity managed to get the game back into the top 20 sales charts in the UK, 4 years after the initial release of the game!

Like him or hate him, he's got the ability to take nearly anything and turn it into gold.

I have a lot of respect for a man that can make 7.5million dollars a year by being annoying as fuck. I wont watch his stuff because well hes annoying as fuck, but I have a lot of respect that he found such an absurd market.

Jintor

i don't understand why the only goddamn persona music you can find in karaoke joints across japan is all from the anime. that stuff is OKAY but I want to sing NEVER MORE damnit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom