• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder how serious the chances are we get
Persona 3 Dancing All Night
in the future... i love it if they make it possible.

My main complaint is still the same. The fact that Atlus decided to section off a part of the series instead of making a Persona-wide rhythm game is still an absurd decision

My main complaint is still the same. The fact that Atlus decided to section off a part of the series instead of making a Persona-wide rhythm game is still an absurd decision

They probably will test the waters with some P3 music DLC. I expect the P3Movie songs to be added at some point.

I wouldn't even mind paying $40-50 for a set of P3 songs (10 or so) with a blue UI look instead of a brand new game.

tbh I would honestly rather have DAN localized in 2016 with Laura Bailey than localized now without her

This mentality doesn't make sense to me. Let's say they do that. When in 2016 would they localize it? When would Laura's schedule fit with the production schedule? What do they do if she's booked solid for the first five months of 2016? Do they release DAN after P5 then? If they do that, is it going to negatively impact DAN sales, and if so, how much?

Depends whether "scheduling conflicts" really means scheduling conflicts or Atlus being cheap.

If we start guessing, what's to say she's not just sick of playing Rise and wants to do something new? Laura's in a lot of things coming up soon, scheduling conflicts isn't just something people are saying, it just makes the most sense (to me anyway).

I think if you listen carefully, you can hear the bitter laughter of P1/P2 fans :p

84X

Banned
If we start guessing, what's to say she's not just sick of playing Rise and wants to do something new? Laura's in a lot of things coming up soon, scheduling conflicts isn't just something people are saying, it just makes the most sense (to me anyway).

Voice acting is a job. A voice actresses' (or actor's) personal feelings about a character do not generally influence what roles they take.

I realize it's possible that Bailey's schedule simply was the cause but it's not like this is her breakout year; she's been busy for quite a while.

Tamanon

Banned
One day we'll take a stated reason at face value, instead of assigning some conspiracy to things. Especially over something as simple as this.

Voice acting is a job. A voice actresses' (or actor's) personal feelings about a character do not generally influence what roles they take.

Wait, is this how it is a general? Obviously I'm not a voice actor, but my personal feelings definitely influence what kind of jobs I take.

(not arguing about Laura Bailey's motivation or whatnot, here)

FluxWaveZ

Release the multiplayer component of Catherine as a standalone, $5 downloadable game with online multiplayer, more characters, stages and items. I couldn't play with anyone else due to a lack of online.

I'm not forgetting the sheep.
B6MxczlCEAA5Vgy.jpg

84X

Banned
Wait, is this how it is a general? Obviously I'm not a voice actor, but my personal feelings definitely influence what kind of jobs I take.

(not arguing about Laura Bailey's motivation or whatnot, here)

For the most part it seems like they don't usually know what the role is when they're called in. So in that regard their personal feelings don't seem initially involved. Not sure how universal of a practice this is though.

However I guess the VAs could judge based on the employer, but I've only heard them say good things about working with Atlus.

And for what it's worth, Bailey's "official" stance is that she really loves Rise. Take that as you will.

FluxWaveZ

Would buy a P3 Dancing All Night day one.

P4D did alright in terms of sales, so Atlus is at least considering it, as Wada stated. "Considering it" could mean they hold a 15-minute meeting where someone says, "So... Persona 3: Dancing All Night?" and then everyone proceeds to laugh.

However I guess the VAs could judge based on the employer, but I've only heard them say good things about working with Atlus.

With all of the lost voice talent since the original release, I have to wonder if that's entirely accurate, though. Could just be a lot of bad coincidence, but other possibilities are there.

Makio

Funny how the people losese his mind about the Persona 4 VA cast changes , but i never see a bad opinion about the new VA for Fuuka and Ken (In Persona Arena , Ultimax , Q).

Not surprised since Wendee Lee is flawless , too bad she is every game (like Troy Baker). So for much i love those two it gets tired hear their voices in any frickin game , more in Troy Baker since he use his default voice in almost all the MC (or important characters) in actual games.

[list of sadness]
Prefer new Chie, even if she gets a bit hammy. Same for Teddie, his bear talk gets a bit shrill at times, but he's good.

Naoto's change got to me -- her most recent replacement has been good, just not my thing, I prefer the original mystery woman's subtle inflections. The first substitute though (in the anime)... not so much.

Kanji's change initially distressed me -- but Mercer is virtually identical, so it's been excellent. Good job dudes.

Margaret's change wasn't terribly unnerving when announced -- until I heard her new stuff. Ultimax was not good. PQ was serviceable, better.

Same sorta goes for Theo and Igor -- Papenbrook's Theo is ok, but that Igor was blech.

Rise's replacement just wrecks me. Her replacement (which I'm assuming is Ashly Burch) sounds kinda flat in that promo video. And if it is indeed Ms. Burch, I know she can do better, I've heard her in other things including Rei from Persona Q. Maybe she just isn't a good fit for this character. I'm probably too biased for this character anyway :/

Out of the P4 cast, for me personally, Rise, Naoto, and Kanji had irreplaceable voices. I'm not saying the rest were bad, but those three just nailed it.
Well maybe Kanji wasn't irreplaceable after all :p

stealth edit: lol at those contradictory posts right above mine

84X

Banned
With all of the lost voice talent since the original release, I have to wonder if that's entirely accurate, though. Could just be a lot of bad coincidence, but other possibilities are there.

True, but despite my negative posts I'm trying to stay at least somewhat positive about the entire situation. However I also don't believe anyone would think too highly of a company that can't even credit them for their work.

Makio

I like Laura Bailey
and I like Rise and I like Laura Bailey's Rise

but I'd never considered Laura Bailey's Rise as something irreplaceable or even super distinct.

I change like for love and this basically me. The reason i like Rise so much in P4 besides her design was the Bailey voice. But i really dig Ashly Burch sounds mature and fits the character.

The promo sounds flat at times sure, but i think this going to be like Chie / Fitzgerald in Golden when she nailed some dialogue but screw badly some lines (MY TRIAL OF THE DRAGON....)

I really sure Burch getting a another chance in later games (if happens) she going to totally nailed.

(I dont see Bailey coming back to P4 spinoff ... since Troy Baker not come back or Margaret original VA never came back either .. i dont see this as a "temporal" change).

Why wouldn't they matter? Especially for someone like Laura Bailey, who has plenty of other work she could be doing instead. Not saying that's the case here, just that it could be.

And for your other point, I just kind of assumed she knew it was for Rise. I don't see why Atlus wouldn't just say "Yo, Rise's dancing again, you in?" or some such.

Could be. The amount of time (both in between releases and recording time needed per release) could be a big factor too. Which makes me wonder if this:

True, but despite my negative posts I'm trying to stay at least somewhat positive about the entire situation. However I also don't believe anyone would think too highly of a company that can't even credit them for their work.

doesn't factor in too. I'm kinda outta the loop on this, do other localization companies credit their English VAs? Or is it just a kinda general rule for English dubs for a large group of Japanese games?

One day we'll take a stated reason at face value, instead of assigning some conspiracy to things. Especially over something as simple as this.

This is my whole point though. Bad news is sometimes just bad news.

Dunkley

Feel my passion.

I liked Rise's new voice, the difference is kinda grating at first but I found it enjoyable enough.

I like the sound of her voice a lot, but her delivery is just so flat it's extremely hard to tell what emotion she is even trying to convey.

The only line in that trailer she slightly pulled off was the "We idols aren't dolls" one, otherwise, I seriously hope those aren't the final takes since otherwise she's definitely going to be buried comparison to the voice acting talent of the rest of the cast.

Besides that, in general out of all replacements I only had issues with Chie. But with her, although it was really annoying to listen to at first compared to how unique her original VA sounded, Erin Fitzgerald does a great job pulling her off even if tone wise she sounds completely different. With Rise's new VA, my issue is just seeing lines like, for example, the Midnight Stage line where you have a feeling how the character should feel and sound like, and instead you get an extremely flat delivery all across the stage, which is not good for a spin-off of a game that's makes emotions and bonds one of its' main themes.

Jintor

Hmmmm... okay, new Rise voice is... okay...?

it's just not Rise, but newChie wasn't Chie, and then at some point she became Chie, so idk.

The mixing on these trailers is terrible though

Hmmmm... okay, new Rise voice is... okay...?

it's just not Rise, but newChie wasn't Chie, and then at some point she became Chie, so idk.

The mixing on these trailers is terrible though

But with Chie she became the voice of a complete version of P4 and all the spinoffs so anyone who played P4G would never be aware of the other Chie.

FakeRise is the voice in just this one game which is probably going to be the last spinoff, Kinda leaves a sour taste if you ask me.

Jintor

i know what you mean, especially for a game to some extent ABOUT Rise, but let's not go with this 'fake' crap... she's just new.

And not Bailey

Dantis

Honestly, I think people are too worried about all this.

This is not a game that you play for story. People are going to blitz through the terrible story mode and then spend the bulk of their time in Free Play.

This is not a game that you play for story. People are going to blitz through the terrible story mode and then spend the bulk of their time in Free Play.

"but they changed my waifu and it huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurts" - Rise fan

Jintor

yeah but it's a game all about fanservice, and there's nothing more fanservicey than listening to your favourite character sound totally different from what they should

also characters are going to yell random crap during free play mode too and it's gonna suuuuuuuuuuck it's not bailey

Dantis

yeah but it's a game all about fanservice, and there's nothing more fanservicey than listening to your favourite character sound totally different from what they should

also characters are going to yell random crap during free play mode too and it's gonna suuuuuuuuuuck it's not bailey

Weirdly, this isn't really true. It's pretty stand-alone, outside its existence as an inherently fan-serving product.

I can't think of any large amount of fan service, really?

Also the character callouts during gameplay are actually just pretty bad. They're vaguely irritating in Japanese, but I feel like they'd be even worse if I actually understood them. Enjoy playing through your favourite songs as Yosuke shouts "KANAMIN KANAMIN KANAMIN KANAMIN!".

Jintor

Weirdly, this isn't really true. It's pretty stand-alone, outside its existence as an inherently fan-serving product.

I can't think of any large amount of fan service, really?

bro it's a game about serving up remixes of songs you already know and then have characters you already know dance to them and emote at you in ways you expect them to emote. it's fanservice the video game.

Skii

I'm only buying it for the story lol. I don't care for rhythm games at all. I just want more canon for Persona 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom