• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

braves01

Banned
I can't make threads, so I guess I'll complain about it here: holy hell P4A: Ultimate has a shit ton of DLC that should just be part of the game. Colors? Glasses? 3-song packs of additional BGM? get the hell out of here. I feel dirty just having bought the $10 P4A story mode (which was only <3mb to download, HMMMMM was it already on disc? i know it's mostly text and some images, but the audio too? HMMMMM). So fucking shitty.

Congrats Atlus/Arc/whoever is responsible for this. I'm not buying the base version of your games ever again, as much as I like what's actually included. I'll wait until the "ultimate DLC bundle" or whatever is heavily discounted.

FluxWaveZ

This is probably just a copypasta of the 4Gamer interview, but there's an additional bit that I hadn't seen before in a Famitsu article, translated via DualShockers (banned site):
We’re aware of the expectations from many people for Persona 5, It’s currently in intensive development. We’re working hard with all the staff to make it better, this is what you’d call a crucial stage.

I'm searching myself, but if anyone remembers the similar comment they had given for Catherine back when it was announced, I'd appreciate it if they could point it out.

Edit: Found what I was thinking of:
At the moment, Catherine is around eighty to ninety percent complete and if Hashino is to be believed, the team should reach completion very soon. Catherine‘s actually been in development for a while now, as Hashino recalls to when the Persona 4 development team would switch back and forth between developing Catherine‘s first stages and polishing up Persona 4.
Thought it might give some info about where Persona 5's at, but the statement's too vague.

Sophia

I can't make threads, so I guess I'll complain about it here: holy hell P4A: Ultimate has a shit ton of DLC that should just be part of the game. Colors? Glasses? 3-song packs of additional BGM? get the hell out of here. I feel dirty just having bought the $10 P4A story mode (which was only <3mb to download, HMMMMM was it already on disc? i know it's mostly text and some images, but the audio too? HMMMMM). So fucking shitty.

Congrats Atlus/Arc/whoever is responsible for this. I'm not buying the base version of your games ever again, as much as I like what's actually included. I'll wait until the "ultimate DLC bundle" or whatever is heavily discounted.

Of course it's already on disc. A significant amount of the assists are reused in the Ultimax story mode. It'd be insane not to have it on the disc. :p

And $10 is a pretty fair price considering that the original Arena goes for $15-20. You're getting an updated version of the story mode with the mechanics of the sequel for half off. Not bad, I'd say.

Kinsei

Banned
No. Unless you wanted to experience the first game's score attack mode that much.

By which I mean you enjoy torture.

Thanks! I thought it was odd that I unlocked the story modes for Kanji, Teddie, Mitsuru, and Akihiko before meeting them in the two stories I did so I thought maybe the DLC was just a cliff notes version.

braves01

Banned
Of course it's already on disc. A significant amount of the assists are reused in the Ultimax story mode. It'd be insane not to have it on the disc. :p

And $10 is a pretty fair price considering that the original Arena goes for $15-20. You're getting an updated version of the story mode with the mechanics of the sequel for half off. Not bad, I'd say.

I vehemently disagree that paying $10 for something already on the disc I bought is fair, but even if accept your point, I dare you to defend charging $6 each for glasses and colors, lol. And 3 songs for $2? I can pay $6 and get 134 extra songs for Tag 2. This game is horrible when it comes to the DLC. I got the game for $20 yet somehow they've managed to make me feel like I still got ripped off.

The DLC for the Arena games is pretty nasty. The best thing I can say about it is that it counts for both games, but little help that does nowadays.

Nimby

Banned
Thanks for giving me something to rant about. ASW DLC is pretty bad. Holding back completed characters for DLC is not a good practice that I'm willing to support. But nothing fucking compares to SMT IV DLC. Pay money to make an easy game even more easier, and watch as we remove cool and possibly challenging sidequests from the game and put them behind a paywall. Damn, I really don't want shit like this in Persona 5. Just give me an expansion and move onto something else.

I mean seriously, the Archangels are important to SMT IV's story, you're even the person to summon them. You would expect a big showdown with them had you went Chaos, but instead they're DLC. One of the DLC bosses is technically YHVH, and that wasn't integrated into the game at least as a sidequest? If SMT IV is anything to go buy, the true ending of Persona 5 will be $5.99 off the PSN store. God I hope not.

braves01

Banned
Thanks for giving me something to rant about. ASW DLC is pretty bad. Holding back completed characters for DLC is not a good practice that I'm willing to support. But nothing fucking compares to SMT IV DLC. Pay money to make an easy game even more easier, and watch as we remove cool and possibly challenging sidequests from the game and put them behind a paywall. Damn, I really don't want shit like this in Persona 5. Just give me an expansion and move onto something else.

Jeez, I don't even want to think about P5 being plagued with DLC. My gut tells me it will be though based on how much mileage Atlus has tried to get out of the P4 universe.

Acid08

Banned
Golden week outfits, beach outfits, battle equipment, social links, personas, dungeons...search your heart, you know it will be paid DLC.

I hope they just make it episodic, all the hot games do that now. Exclusive Marie navigator DLC with the season pass.

PK Gaming

Yeah it's pretty gross, but Arcsys has been nickel and diming and it's customers forever so it's expended. Fortunately, Atlus USA was kind enough to give us [Redacted] and Marie for free, which is admittedly better than nothing. (Even Japan didn't get 2 characters for free)

Sophia

I vehemently disagree that paying $10 for something already on the disc I bought is fair, but even if accept your point, I dare you to defend charging $6 each for glasses and colors, lol. And 3 songs for $2? I can pay $6 and get 134 extra songs for Tag 2. This game is horrible when it comes to the DLC. I got the game for $20 yet somehow they've managed to make me feel like I still got ripped off.

You can disagree all you want, but it's far easier for the developer if they don't have to download lots of stuff over PSN for something that's already developed. I do believe they pay for the bandwidth of the download?

Not saying I disagree with you on the rest of the DLC tho, which is why I singled out your story comment.

Yeah it's pretty gross, but Arcsys has been nickel and diming and it's customers forever so it's expended. Fortunately, Atlus USA was kind enough to give us [Redacted] and Marie for free, which is admittedly better than nothing. (Even Japan didn't get 2 characters for free)

I'd argue that Atlus Japan is pretty bad about DLC too. SMT IV and PQ's DLCs are both hurt by it. SMT IV especially, as they made entire plotlines (side ones, mind you) DLC, and it breaks the balance of the game pretty bad.

Vylash

oh is that how it works? i figured it was just the story sections with the fighting removed

Sophia

oh is that how it works? i figured it was just the story sections with the fighting removed

Nope, the P4A DLC story mode is the full story mode from the original, using the updated mechanics from Ultimax. You even start with everyone locked, except for the core four P4 cast members.

Due to it being only $10, it's actually a better buy than the original game + Ultimax. Unless you wanna hand the copy off to someone when you're done.

Caladrius

Golden Arena mode is it's own form of torture

Exactly! Two forms of Hell is redundant!

Wait what exactly does that DLC unlocks? I thought it was only the story mode.

It's only the story mode. What I meant to say that the first Arena game is completely obsolete other than the fact that it has score attack.

Thanks! I thought it was odd that I unlocked the story modes for Kanji, Teddie, Mitsuru, and Akihiko before meeting them in the two stories I did so I thought maybe the DLC was just a cliff notes version.

No problem.

Though to be frank, it should have been a cliff notes version. >____>

PK Gaming

Does it come with a remake of fan favorite Inaba? Or is that season pass exclusive?

tumblr_msus2losd51sxd1vyo2_400.png

I would pay good money for Mark Inaba DLC

Dantis

I've always been surprised that Catherine was never ported to Vita.

Just saying.

Also, on the note of costume DLC, I'm totally down with that. I'll buy everything. I think they really missed a trick not having costume DLC for PQ, personally.

I've always been surprised that Catherine was never ported to Vita.

Just saying.

Also, on the note of costume DLC, I'm totally down with that. I'll buy everything. I think they really missed a trick not having costume DLC for PQ, personally.

I'm still surprised that Catherine never got a PC port, seems like it would be a good one for Atlus to test their PC potential.

That game just suits a keyboard control scheme. Granted Atlus+PC don't exactly mix yet, but still, if there was a PC port I'd play it.

Mainly because I never finished it originally

CorvoSol

Literally the coolest Persona character

Not even kidding

Mark is such a Magician that I still have no fucking idea how YUKA is Persona 1's Magician and not him.

Sucks with the ladies to the point that he spends most of the game simpin' for a girl who is all but banging another dude in front of him.

Treated as the dirt of the Earth by the plot, the cast, and anybody who isn't the main character.

Balances being the most loyal dude on your team with hating your guts for getting all the girls.

I guess Mark isn't a Magician because he actually does something vaguely famous with his life, unlike all the other Magicians. Yuka's so Magician she can't be bothered to ever be in another Persona game.

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax

Finished the game. All in all, I honestly really enjoyed story mode and the Arena subseries as a whole. I feel Labrys is a great character, and I think that Episode P3 and Arena 1 were a solid arc for her. It was nice to see the cast of Persona 3 together again after several years, and their wacky outfits and behavior was a good throwback to the appearance and involvement of the cast of Persona 1 in Persona 2. Mitsuru especially mirrored Nanjo in Eternal Punishment.

I really liked the interactions of the two casts, and the way the Persona 3 cast inspired and strengthened the Persona 4 cast while the Persona 4 cast renewed them in turn. I also feel like, cheesiness embraced, this subseries had something good to say about the two casts and their journey.

There's been a lot of nagging about the P4 cast in these games for reasons, and some of it I feel almost reeks of the need to tear them down to reinforce the strengths of the P4 cast, which is silly because I really think the two casts are equal. There are, however, some difficulties I think came up in writing the Persona 4 cast, or perhaps some disparities.

Specifically, I feel that it's a bit unfair to dock the P4 cast for being unchanged from Persona 4 as compared to the cast of Persona 3, because it's been -three years- for the cast of Persona 3, whereas it's been like, what, three months for the Persona 4 cast? So it doesn't mesh much with me. That said, as I've brought up in the past couple of days, I think that the cast of P4 has more going on in this sub-series than they're getting credit for. Yosuke, Naoto, Narukami and Rise are all pretty good examples. Kanji and Teddie admittedly get a bit of the shaft.

But we all know we're here for my complaints, so let me lay those out.

First, I kinda think they've completely ruined Theo between Persona Q and Ultimax. In P3P he's a bit of a show-off, but he's also got charm and suave to balance out his naivete. Yet now he's JUST the trash bin for the Velvet girls to dump on. I mean, I get that his development in P3P has to be deleted because we have to appease the fanatics who demand that FeMC never be allowed to exist, but it's had the added effect of emphasizing what was once a background aspect of his character into being the overwhelming majority of it. The only time we even saw a shade of the Theo we see in P3P was during his brief conversations with Labrys.

Second, I still sort of hate Sho. If PK thinks that Elizabeth getting the Fool and Wild Card are sort of skirting close to disaster, Sho getting them is sort of just barreling headfirst over the edge. His character is improved in Labrys' side over Yu's, in that time is spent on it, but I feel like it comes off as a flimsy ploy for me to care compared to even less august post P4 characters like Marie. Ordinarily I'd hand-wave him as the unfortunate product of there not being enough time to develop a character of his nature in a fighting game, but given how well they've done with Labrys I'm sort of at a loss.

My problems with him extend beyond this, though. His character is just too busy. Between his past with Ikkutsuki, his ties to the Inaba murders, and his split personalities and Hi-no-Kagutsuchi, there's just a LOT of stuff going on there. It isn't always bad, I suppose. Persona 4 repeatedly discusses the possibility of someone watching what's going on on the Midnight Channel, so meeting a regular viewer kind of works. Nutty Deities choosing to play with the mental breakdowns of teenagers is the stuff this series is made of. Ikkutsuki was an evil mad scientist. But when they're all stacked one atop the other it just feels like a bit much.

Which moves into the next problem I have. The Plume of Dusk is a wildly important plot element for two games, but I'm still not really certain what the fuck they are. In P3 they're just a useful item, and I kind of feel like a substance this important and powerful bears explanation in way of origin.

I also am uncertain how I feel about all the hints they were dropping there in the final ending about the future. I mean yay, sequel hooks and all, but Elizabeth's presence at the fight following Hi-no-Kagutsuchi's defeat didn't do much for me. To be honest I'm not really all that invested in Elizabeth's character, though, and having never played The Answer I guess I'm just not that invested in the need to save the P3 hero(es), either.

As a final complaint: GOD DAMN I wanted Labrys to just fucking ask Yu how he felt about her, and it was a major tease to make her decide against it. AAAUGH. Just give Senpai his sexy robot girlfriend for his harem, Atlus. Just do it.

Anyway, I really loved it overall, and I kind of harbor a secret hope that Atlus finds a way to bring the Arena cast along for Dancing. I don't fucking know or care how, really. I just want to play my rhythm dancing game as a robot girl and dog in a hoodie.

Setsu00

I'm still surprised that Catherine never got a PC port, seems like it would be a good one for Atlus to test their PC potential.

That game just suits a keyboard control scheme. Granted Atlus+PC don't exactly mix yet, but still, if there was a PC port I'd play it.

Mainly because I never finished it originally

Wasn't there a rumor that some assets in the US version of Catherine indicated that they were at least experimenting with a PC port?

Xenoflare

Wasn't there a rumor that some assets in the US version of Catherine indicated that they were at least experimenting with a PC port?

People did find a bunch of stuff in there indicating a PC version was at least considered, I think it was cursors and UI elements.

PK Gaming

Mark is such a Magician that I still have no fucking idea how YUKA is Persona 1's Magician and not him.

Sucks with the ladies to the point that he spends most of the game simpin' for a girl who is all but banging another dude in front of him.

Treated as the dirt of the Earth by the plot, the cast, and anybody who isn't the main character.

Balances being the most loyal dude on your team with hating your guts for getting all the girls.

I guess Mark isn't a Magician because he actually does something vaguely famous with his life, unlike all the other Magicians. Yuka's so Magician she can't be bothered to ever be in another Persona game.

Seriously. I mean I get that arcanas didn't really mean anything back then, but Mark's character fit the Magician's arcana to a T. Anyway, Revelation's Mark is basically Mark without the angst. Like the writers tried to make him out be a stereotypical black dude from the 90s, so they made his lines "hip" as possible, but they accidentally created this incredibly charismatic character with tons of confidence and swagger. Like you guys think Yu is the swagmaster? PersonaGAF, please, Yu doesn't begin to encroach on Revelation Mark's territory. That guy is 2cool.

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax

First, I kinda think they've completely ruined Theo between Persona Q and Ultimax. In P3P he's a bit of a show-off, but he's also got charm and suave to balance out his naivete. Yet now he's JUST the trash bin for the Velvet girls to dump on. I mean, I get that his development in P3P has to be deleted because we have to appease the fanatics who demand that FeMC never be allowed to exist, but it's had the added effect of emphasizing what was once a background aspect of his character into being the overwhelming majority of it. The only time we even saw a shade of the Theo we see in P3P was during his brief conversations with Labrys.

Yeah, Theo basically went from being THE husbando of the Persona series to being one of biggest weenies ever. Though to be perfectly honest, I can't say I really mind. I mean, I never picked Theo as my Velvet Room attendant so I never really felt any love for his character. In fact, all of the jokes at his expense crack me up. His patheticness in PQ is absolutely hilarious.

Second, I still sort of hate Sho. If PK thinks that Elizabeth getting the Fool and Wild Card are sort of skirting close to disaster, Sho getting them is sort of just barreling headfirst over the edge. His character is improved in Labrys' side over Yu's, in that time is spent on it, but I feel like it comes off as a flimsy ploy for me to care compared to even less august post P4 characters like Marie. Ordinarily I'd hand-wave him as the unfortunate product of there not being enough time to develop a character of his nature in a fighting game, but given how well they've done with Labrys I'm sort of at a loss.

For sure. I hate to sound like Vegeta from the Cell saga, but being a Wild Card used to mean something, you know? It was more than just an awesome power; it was the thing that set the protagonist apart from the rest of their party members. There was always the implicit assumption that it was given to people who are about to embark on a great journey. So why the fuck does Sho need the Wild card? Do they honestly plan on making him go on a journey? He's some freak with a sword. What's he going to do, save the world from [insert japanese deity] while going to adult high school to patch his pathetic life together? It's completely unnecessary. The idea of him being another one of Igor's guest seriously ticks me off.

My problems with him extend beyond this, though. His character is just too busy. Between his past with Ikkutsuki, his ties to the Inaba murders, and his split personalities and Hi-no-Kagutsuchi, there's just a LOT of stuff going on there. It isn't always bad, I suppose. Persona 4 repeatedly discusses the possibility of someone watching what's going on on the Midnight Channel, so meeting a regular viewer kind of works. Nutty Deities choosing to play with the mental breakdowns of teenagers is the stuff this series is made of. Ikkutsuki was an evil mad scientist. But when they're all stacked one atop the other it just feels like a bit much.

Pretty much. I'd also say that he suffers from I like to call "perpetual shonen syndrome." Sho is so shonen, it isn't even funny. Everything down to his design to his personality; There isn't a hint of subtlety in his character. He's literally the embodiment of "man friendship sucks, isolation rules" type characters, right down to execution. That isn't AWFUL in and of itself, but the entire game is pretty much predicated on that notion. Like, Hi-no-Kagutsuchi preaches the same shit. In fact, wasn't he formed out of people who only cared about themselves? Ugh. So much shonen. Also, they could have developed Ikkutsuki, but they made him even worse, haha.

Which moves into the next problem I have. The Plume of Dusk is a wildly important plot element for two games, but I'm still not really certain what the fuck they are. In P3 they're just a useful item, and I kind of feel like a substance this important and powerful bears explanation in way of origin.

I think it's mentioned offhandedly in some of the Persona 3 databooks. Who do they think we are, Kingdom Hearts fans?

I also am uncertain how I feel about all the hints they were dropping there in the final ending about the future. I mean yay, sequel hooks and all, but Elizabeth's presence at the fight following Hi-no-Kagutsuchi's defeat didn't do much for me. To be honest I'm not really all that invested in Elizabeth's character, though, and having never played The Answer I guess I'm just not that invested in the need to save the P3 hero(es), either.

If they do make a sequel, I hope it has as little to do with Elizabeth's quest as possible. I'll admit, a part of me likes the idea of Elizabeth going rogue and pulling a Magneto, but that part is minuscule. And if they're going to utilize Sho, please, please, PLEASE don't make him a major character. Just make him save the heroes at the last second (in true shonen fashion) and have him fuck off.

As a final complaint: GOD DAMN I wanted Labrys to just fucking ask Yu how he felt about her, and it was a major tease to make her decide against it. AAAUGH. Just give Senpai his sexy robot girlfriend for his harem, Atlus. Just do it.

DUDE. No, that is probably the worst thing about P4AU for me! You know i'm a Yu-sexual, but what he did to Yosuke was straight up unforgivable. Yosuke and Labrys had a special thing going, you know? Like in the P4A manga, Yosuke's basically the main protagonist, and his story mode is pretty much the best on the P4 side, but P4AU forsakes that entirely! Yosuke and Labrys barely even interact in Ultimax, and all Labrys can think of is Yu. I'm like the last guy who should be saying this (as i'm one of the few people who think that Kanji shouldn't end up with Naoto just because he likes her) BUT YU TOTALLY NTR'D LABRYS FROM YOSUKE XO XO XO.

Anyway, I really loved it overall, and I kind of harbor a secret hope that Atlus finds a way to bring the Arena cast along for Dancing. I don't fucking know or care how, really. I just want to play my rhythm dancing game as a robot girl and dog in a hoodie.

You better believe we'll have them as DLC!

DUDE. No, that is probably the worst thing about P4AU for me! You know i'm a Yu-sexual, but what he did to Yosuke was straight up unforgivable. Yosuke and Labrys had a special thing going, you know? Like in the P4A manga, Yosuke's basically the main protagonist, and his story mode is pretty much the best on the P4 side, but P4AU forsakes that entirely! Yosuke and Labrys barely even interact in Ultimax, and all Labrys can think of is Yu. I'm like the last guy who should be saying this (as i'm one of the few people who think that Kanji shouldn't end up with Naoto just because he likes her) BUT YU TOTALLY NTR'D LABRYS FROM YOSUKE XO XO XO.

Tedrys for life.

CorvoSol

Look man,
Senpai has King's Night rights over both harems now. Any member of the IT or SEES is free to form any romantic ties with any other they want, but the minute Senpai steps up they must defer to his all-penetrating collar. Ex. Kanji and Naoto. It's all good until Senpai calls either up for a booty call, and then the King's commands are absolute.

Fou-Lu

Just realized the Persona Live Concert is on my birthday. Sweet. If there is anything Persona 5 related that will be one awesome birthday present.

Also started Persona 1, I don't know why but the use of guns and the pulling weapons out of nowhere by everyone really amuses me. I just entered the SEBEC building, which has sweet music.

Meia

You either carry around weapons just in case, or you go the Chie/Ulala/Lisa route that always naturally have their weapons on them. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom