• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Gaming

Summoned, not awakened. They awakened to the potential much earlier. It's like how the Persona 1 cast awakened to their Personas during the dream, but didn't summon them some time later. When all hell starts breaking loose. Or how the Persona 2 cast
awoken to them as kids
but largely didn't summon them until a little bit into the game.

The scenes we see in The Answer are when the casts awaken to their Personas, not when they summoned them. Fuuka awoken to hers during the game, so there was no need to show it to us again.

There are issues with Fuuka's character in P3, for sure. This isn't one of them tho. :p

Akihiko explicitly states that Fuuka has the potential, and she's also able to stay awake during the dark hour. That means she awoke to the potential shortly before being thrown into the Gekkoukan gym.

Regardless, the game never explains why she awakened to her Persona in the first place.

Sophia

About Fuuka, I don't think we saw her Awakening. We saw her first summon, but she could sense shadows long before that(she wouldn't have survived the 10 hours otherwise).

Yeah, we don't actually see it. It's implied during her story arc however. We do see her onscreen summoning, of course.

Akihiko explicitly states that Fuuka has the potential, and she's also able to stay awake during the dark hour. That means she awoke to the potential shortly before being thrown into the Gekkoukan gym.

Regardless, the game never explains why she awakened to her Persona in the first place.

We know why she awoke to her Persona: The bullying with Natsuki and her friends. Which starts (from our PoV) coincidentally about the time Akihiko mentions her. :p

This is one area where I have to give props to the movie. They handled it a whole lot better then the game. Not as perfectly as you or I would like, tho.

DNAbro

Just pointing this out but new years in Persona 4 Golden was the moment I realized how much I absolutely loved the game. Just going around saying happy new years to all the social links you had with Snowflakes playing made a huge impact on me for some reason.

PK Gaming

Yeah, we don't actually see it. It's implied during her story arc however. We do see her onscreen summoning, of course.

We know why she awoke to her Persona: The bullying with Natsuki and her friends. Which starts (from our PoV) coincidentally about the time Akihiko mentions her. :p

This is one area where I have to give props to the movie. They handled it a whole lot better then the game. Not as perfectly as you or I would like, tho.

That's... a pretty disappointing reason if that's really the case. I mean everyone else has had tragic or poignant reasons for awakening to their Persona. Reasons that set them apart from your average person. These are people who are in the state mind in where the concept of death doesn't really phase them, and Fuuka was somehow in that exact same state of mind? If she was (and i'm not saying that's unreasonable), the game sure as hell didn't do a good enough of job of conveying that. It would have been great if we got a cut-scene depicting her family life or perhaps her PoV on the day where she was bullied, but we don't get much (not even in the P3 design works). All we can do is infer or guess at her thought process.

FUUKA

V6SMeYo.png

why do you frustrate me so

Meia

Yep, guessing is all we can do. It's not unreasonable to think that she awoke to her Persona for the same reason it ascended when it did: She wanted to connect with people. In Fuuka's case, it could have simply been the question of why people were bullying her as they were. Of course, odds are good considering the motives for everyone else that for her it had something to do with her family life, something Fuuka apparently has absolutely no trouble with completely cutting off the second she's able to move into the dorm.

I think that may be one of the most frustrating things about her. The template for a really interesting story is there, but they kind of just went "Nahhhhh...." :p

Fuuka's a funny character, because it felt like the writers had a character arc all planned out in their heads, but ended up not actually doing the work showing it. She has a couple beats at the beginning, and then an ending thrown at you completely randomly late in the game.

Speaking of the way P3 did the party member SLs, the only one I think really complimented her character arc well was Yukari's. Fuuka had too little of a character arc to build off of (and her SL is mostly fluff anyway), Aigis's SL just retreads the same story beats from the main plot for the most part, and Mitsuru's SL felt like it was in its own self contained bubble like the P4 links.

PK Gaming

Fuuka's a funny character, because it felt like the writers had a character arc all planned out in their heads, but ended up not actually doing the work showing it. She has a couple beats at the beginning, and then an ending thrown at you completely randomly late in the game.

tumblr_m7jpi4w1pF1r44b81o1_500.jpg

This comic will always be relevant

FluxWaveZ

Dates of note for this month:

• January 15: P4AU version 2.00 arcade release
  • January 17: Persona Dream Concert at Taiyou Con (More info link on their site is dead, though)
  • January 25: P4GA event at the Tokyo International Forum
  • January 28: Persona Music Box 2014 DVD/Blu-ray release

CorvoSol

Speaking of the way P3 did the party member SLs, the only one I think really complimented her character arc well was Yukari's. Fuuka had too little of a character arc to build off of (and her SL is mostly fluff anyway), Aigis's SL just retreads the same story beats from the main plot for the most part, and Mitsuru's SL felt like it was in its own self contained bubble like the P4 links.

Fuuka really does have all the necessary pieces of a character arc there in P3. She's got her shit homelife, her being bullied, her desire to be more useful to the team in a unique way, her newfound friendship with Natsuki and the loss of that friendship propelling her to reach her goals.

The problem is they fumbled basically every single part of Fuuka. Kind of why I liked what they did with her in the movie more. Because it looked more like Fuuka as she should have been.

I have a bit of a soft spot for Fuuka, though, because she's the resident nerd of the P3/P4 casts. She contrasts really well with the super model Yukari and nearly-actual-royalty Mitsuru, and she stands out even when put against girly-girl Yukiko and tomboy Chie. If there's one character from P3 I think benefited overall in the Arena games, it's Fuuka. I mean, her VA is improved, her design is improved (no more curtain dress), and she's neither timid nor inept in the screen time she's given.

Course, I kinda like all the Arena costumes. Even Akihiko's shirtless cape set up. Cuz I'm easily pleased.

Who was it who implied they're out of their league? Was it Rise or Chie? I don't remember.

It was Rise, I think.

Something about only wearing Yukatas for special moments with special people or some other shit.

The whole situation is Teddies fault anyway, with his false hope and expectations...... stupid teddie.

I should replay vanilla P4 to see if my newly acquired Teddie hate is justified...... I dont remember him being bad in P4, just everything afterwards.

Edit:
I have a bit of a soft spot for Fuuka, though, because she's the resident nerd of the P3/P4 casts. She contrasts really well with the super model Yukari and nearly-actual-royalty Mitsuru, and she stands out even when put against girly-girl Yukiko and tomboy Chie. If there's one character from P3 I think benefited overall in the Arena games, it's Fuuka. I mean, her VA is improved, her design is improved (no more curtain dress), and she's neither timid nor inept in the screen time she's given.

I completely agree with this, but the thing that bumped her up more than anything for me was the P3 movie, she's fantastic in that. Far better representation of her story than the game ever gave her.

Happy New Year one and all~

Only about a month and some change until I travel to Japan for Persona Super Live, because even the chance of Persona 5 making a public appearance is enough for me to use up all of my non-holiday vacation time for 2015 in a single week.

On the slim off-chance Persona 5 is not significantly revealed, you shall all bear witness to my Ultimate Despair in real time

DNAbro

Only about a month and some change until I travel to Japan for Persona Super Live, because even the chance of Persona 5 making a public appearance is enough for me to use up all of my non-holiday vacation time for 2015 in a single week.

On the slim off-chance Persona 5 is not significantly revealed, you shall all bear witness to my Ultimate Despair in real time

well japan should be fun regardless.

Dantis

I maintain that we'll see something before then.

Super, super jealous of you, though. I'm such a fool for not having prepared for actuality of a show coming out of nowhere.

Next time I will be, though.

The countdown on the site actually ends when the concert location's doors open, and not when the concert itself will start, so that one's an hour off (depending on which time we refer to):

t1423125000z1.png

I feel like you end up disagreeing with every post I make in this thread. I was going by the start time.

I was expecting the locked thing on the site to end up being a link to buy tickets and similar, but that ended up getting it's own thing on the side. My next best guess would be for a niconico stream link, but then they could always add that elsewhere too. I don't think it's worth considering the current appearance of the site too much, considering that the last Persona countdown site was intentionally misleading with the 3 boxes.

FluxWaveZ

I feel like you end up disagreeing with every post I make in this thread. I was going by the start time.

Oh, sorry if it comes off that way. I wasn't disagreeing there, just elaborating (hence the parentheses), since both countdowns work depending on which PSL 2015 times we're talking about.

Dantis

I was expecting the locked thing on the site to end up being a link to buy tickets and similar, but that ended up getting it's own thing on the side. My next best guess would be for a niconico stream link, but then they could always add that elsewhere too. I don't think it's worth considering the current appearance of the site too much, considering that the last Persona countdown site was intentionally misleading with the 3 boxes.

That's just Flux. Don't take it personally.

DNAbro

you mean the P4AU, PQ, P4D and P5 stream?

Dantis

I wasn't criticising, just an observation. Going by the one the site uses makes more sense if we're expecting 05:55:55:55:55 to do something.

Thinking about it, that probably won't happen. Super Live is tied to P5 but P5 isn't tied to Super Live.

Something P5 related could drop at any time, independently of anything.

Probably a Tuesday. Obviously.

Setsu00

The stream announced PQ, P4D and P5 since Ultimax was revealed during that location test. The three boxes weren't misleading at all if you take this into consideration.

FluxWaveZ

I wasn't criticising, just an observation. Going by the one the site uses makes more sense if we're expecting 05:55:55:55:55 to do something.

The website was updated for the first time when the timer hit "55" followed by zeros, so I guess when the timer would hit a similar note would be the next update to go in line with the number motif.

I do think that the concert will entail significant P5 information (whether simultaneously or shortly following it), but there's no way they reveal anything significant about P5 before it takes place. It'd be pointless when they have a countdown to a big event with an image teasing P5 on the website of the aforementioned countdown—along with the logo of the game's development team—already. Not to mention everything else that has linked P5 and PSL 2015 together.

Golden Arena mode is it's own form of torture

May I ask why you think that? Just curious. I only played a bit, I beat the first dungeon and afterwards did bits of the other dungeons. So I ended up trying the supposedly infinitely long dungeon at level 30-ish as opposed to the recommended 65 and died at the 5th floor :p

I can understand it can be boring if you force yourself to go through the whole thing all at once though. As Kanji I literally do command grab into added cruel attack the whole match, so that gets kinda boring if you go through multiple floors doing that. But Score Attack for me was worse since I was doing the exact same battle multiple times in a row and getting frustrated dying so often.

Finally started Persona 1 and its not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. I put of playing DeSu Overclocked for this and I'm enjoying it more. I made a mistake right from the beginning though. After rescuing Mark and Brown from the police station Brown wanted to join the party. My first thought is sure why not so I let him only to come to realize that means no one else can join the party and that he's the weakest out of all the options. I'd rather have had Elly or Ayase. Still mad at myself for that but I already have 8 hours in this game so no going back

As for my questions, how far would you say I'm from completion? I'm at the part where
we go to an alternate dimension and the little girl in black attacks the school. I just defeated the demon she summoned

Also is fusion really important? I've had a few battles where I just use Balm of Life ALOT during boss fights so I guess my lvl is low and my persona's are just weak. I've only fused two demons so far(Pyro Jack and Fuutai)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom