• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenoflare

So I have a question about a thing that happened in P4AU's ending. Specifically:
Izanagi and Magatsu Izanagi fuse and create a sword and we never see any of that happen on screen. I'm just sort of curious what process that's supposed to be? Like I feel like there WAS a Persona game that fused Personas to make weapons, and obviously there are different kinds of Persona Fusions. Izanagi and Magatsu Izanagi normally fuse to make like, Kikuri-Hime, but that's only within a single soul. Since this is more of an external fusion, I assume it functions like when Medea and Hermes fused to become Trismegistus, but we never actually see or hear of a new Persona existing, and in battle against Hi-no-Kagutsuchi Yu and Adachi only use their respective Izanagis.

To be honest, I wonder if maybe I misread a section of that scene and that's why I'm not getting my head around this right.
I think you are reading into it a bit too much, Ultimax's story is not worth it for the details checking. :(

PK Gaming

Has great taste in anime said:
Greetings, PersonaGAF!

I finally found myself able to purchase the gem that is known as Persona 4 the Golden.

I played about an hour of it, and I have to say, I'm really enjoying it! This dubbing is great, and I'm enjoying this whole "coming to terms with yourself" theme that became apparent with the first boss.

I was initially hesitant to get into this franchise, since I'm more a fan of action-combat RPGs like Tales games, and I didn't really enjoy SMT IV. But this is off to a great start so far.

As for what I named my character, well...that's actually involves some major Fire Emblem Awakening Spoilers below. Not really important, but it's just something I found was cool.

So when I heard that this game involved characters alternate versions of themselves, or their "shadows", it reminded me of the final battle in Awakening, where you were essentially fighting yourself as the big shadow dragon in the game.

So I decided to name my character: "Robin Grima". Basically I'm pretending that he's the reincarnation of FE:A's protagonist, and that he didn't have a shadow to fight to get his persona because he already came to terms with his own shadow in his other life when he defeated Grima with the shepherds.

Yeah yeah, it's all fanboy fanfiction nonsense drivel I came up with, and I'm sure somebody probably came up with this idea before me, but I just went with what I thought was cool. There's probably way more to it than that, as I've only just started.

Sup dude, I've seen you around animeGAF. Glad you're enjoying P4 so far, but just know that you've barely even experienced the game. It's very much a slow burn, but it picks up in a big way.

Ahhh, radical name. I love that Tactician Magician

So I have a question about a thing that happened in P4AU's ending. Specifically:
Izanagi and Magatsu Izanagi fuse and create a sword and we never see any of that happen on screen. I'm just sort of curious what process that's supposed to be? Like I feel like there WAS a Persona game that fused Personas to make weapons, and obviously there are different kinds of Persona Fusions. Izanagi and Magatsu Izanagi normally fuse to make like, Kikuri-Hime, but that's only within a single soul. Since this is more of an external fusion, I assume it functions like when Medea and Hermes fused to become Trismegistus, but we never actually see or hear of a new Persona existing, and in battle against Hi-no-Kagutsuchi Yu and Adachi only use their respective Izanagis.

To be honest, I wonder if maybe I misread a section of that scene and that's why I'm not getting my head around this right.

I doubt that they gave much thought either, it was just supposed to be a cool scene. Though if I had to guess
the fact that they awakened their Personas in an identical fashion may imply some sort of special connection? Dunno. I'm just going to chalk it up to the power of bonds and call it a day.

CorvoSol

Greetings, PersonaGAF!

I finally found myself able to purchase the gem that is known as Persona 4 the Golden.

I played about an hour of it, and I have to say, I'm really enjoying it! This dubbing is great, and I'm enjoying this whole "coming to terms with yourself" theme that became apparent with the first boss.

I was initially hesitant to get into this franchise, since I'm more a fan of action-combat RPGs like Tales games, and I didn't really enjoy SMT IV. But this is off to a great start so far.

As for what I named my character, well...that's actually involves some major Fire Emblem Awakening Spoilers below. Not really important, but it's just something I found was cool.

So when I heard that this game involved characters alternate versions of themselves, or their "shadows", it reminded me of the final battle in Awakening, where you were essentially fighting yourself as the big shadow dragon in the game.

So I decided to name my character: "Robin Grima". Basically I'm pretending that he's the reincarnation of FE:A's protagonist, and that he didn't have a shadow to fight to get his persona because he already came to terms with his own shadow in his other life when he defeated Grima with the shepherds.

Yeah yeah, it's all fanboy fanfiction nonsense drivel I came up with, and I'm sure somebody probably came up with this idea before me, but I just went with what I thought was cool. There's probably way more to it than that, as I've only just started.

The fun thing about Persona 4's protagonist is that he can be pretty much whoever you want. I played him like he was a transfer student from America, for instance, and thus always chose the options I felt most socially inappropriate (like calling out King Moron on the first day.)

I think you are reading into it a bit too much, Ultimax's story is not worth it for the details checking. :(

Hey I mean, I'll blast them to Hell and back for Sho the Hedgehog Pulling his own Shadow or Linking his own Social or whatever, but I kinda felt that scene was cool.

I doubt that they gave much thought either, it was just supposed to be a cool scene. Though if I had to guess
the fact that they awakened their Personas in an identical fashion may imply some sort of special connection? Dunno. I'm just going to chalk it up to the power of bonds and call it a day.

Confession:
I kind of liked what they did with Adachi's character in Ultimax. I mean, I'm not at all certain where I stand on his character anymore, but I liked that they were able to add that extra amount of ambiguity to him. Like, in P4 he starts out as a dopey assistant before Jest SLink promotes him to the sort of cool but not a good example older brother, and then he sky rockets to nutty mcevil pants before sort of settling in a weird place at the ending. So seeing him as still kinda unhinged, but trying to make amends for his evil in his own albeit twisted way was sort of nice.

Like, I don't know if good is the word I'd use, but I appreciate that they found a way to keep his character interesting. Compared to Sho he comes across as downright complex.

Looks like Atlus USA found out about me discovering their redesigned site template, because when you visit http://www.atlus.com/sandbox/ now, it asks for a username and password, with the description being "Restricted Area"

aef6e3b245.png

Makio

Mystic you are amazing.

And why the surprise Neogaf is a popular page and here even we have that guy who works for Atlus USA ... Atlusprime (i think that his username).

So no suprise in this one , great job detective.

Greetings, PersonaGAF!

Greetings!

And no worries.
Shared universe/multiverse headcanons aren't exactly rare in my experience.

PK Gaming

Confession:
I kind of liked what they did with Adachi's character in Ultimax. I mean, I'm not at all certain where I stand on his character anymore, but I liked that they were able to add that extra amount of ambiguity to him. Like, in P4 he starts out as a dopey assistant before Jest SLink promotes him to the sort of cool but not a good example older brother, and then he sky rockets to nutty mcevil pants before sort of settling in a weird place at the ending. So seeing him as still kinda unhinged, but trying to make amends for his evil in his own albeit twisted way was sort of nice.

Like, I don't know if good is the word I'd use, but I appreciate that they found a way to keep his character interesting. Compared to Sho he comes across as downright complex.

No, I hear you. I love that he he's still a rotten human being despite not strictly being an antagonist. My issues with him came down to how the other characters treat him. I get Yu is basically jesus, but what's up with Yosuke's interaction with him? He should feel immense hatred for the guy... so much so that I wouldn't be surprised if he attacked him on the spot. But the IT as a whole treat him with begrudging respect. I don't like it. I wish his mere presence caused them to lose their collective shits.

Tangentially related: when you use Adachi and pair him up with a Yosuke nav, Yosuke's like "Grrr, I hate that i'm doing this, but i'll team up with this time." NO. BAD. DO IT AGAIN.

Dantis

Looks like Atlus USA found out about me discovering their redesigned site template, because when you visit http://www.atlus.com/sandbox/ now, it asks for a username and password, with the description being "Restricted Area"

Well John and Nich both work for Atlus, so maybe one of them 'told tales out of school'. :p

I wasn't disappointed in it! And man, the GAF freakout/meltdown/freakout was the best ever. I still have so many of those .gifs saved. SO MANY.

Also, Happy New Year, PGAF!

YOU DON'T COUNT BECAUSE YOU WORK FOR THE COMPANY

Also Happy New Year, man!

I thought I heard somewhere that Atlus USA didn't know about the exact nature of the announcement just like the rest of us.

I won't believe that some of the communications and marketing teams weren't unaware of something like that.

Unless you aren't referring to the content, but how the content would be revealed?

FluxWaveZ

I won't believe that some of the communications and marketing teams weren't unaware of something like that.

Unless you aren't referring to the content, but how the content would be revealed?

Atlus USA and Atlus Japan apparently don't always operate on the same wavelength, so something like some of the November 24, 2013 reveals wouldn't necessarily need to be known by most people of Atlus USA, I would assume.

Atlus USA and Atlus Japan apparently don't always operate on the same wavelength, so something like some of the November 24, 2013 reveals wouldn't necessarily need to be known by most people of Atlus USA, I would assume.

Most, sure. I just find it hard to believe that the relevant people wouldn't be aware. Especially with the amount of traffic I would assume that it threw their way.

But if they don't operate too well at times, that explains it.

Andrefpvs

The way I see it, it's a reference to Japanese mythology:

Hi-no-Kagutsuchi is the son of Izanami and Izanagi. As the god of fire, he burned his mother severely when he was born, causing Izanami's death. In his rage, Izanagi slew Hi-no-Kagutsuchi with his sword.

This is what the mythology says, and I'm sure you can see the parallels between it and P4AU's ending.

As to why both Izanagis fuse, we can only speculate, but I think the good Izanagi and the corrupted Izanagi momentarily fuse in order to create the true but flawed Izanagi that would kill his own son, Hi-no-Kagutsuchi, with his sword.

/Mr. Edogawa mode off :p

CorvoSol

No, I hear you. I love that he he's still a rotten human being despite not strictly being an antagonist. My issues with him came down to how the other characters treat him. I get Yu is basically jesus, but what's up with Yosuke's interaction with him? He should feel immense hatred for the guy... so much so that I wouldn't be surprised if he attacked him on the spot. But the IT as a whole treat him with begrudging respect. I don't like it. I wish his mere presence caused them to lose their collective shits.

Tangentially related: when you use Adachi and pair him up with a Yosuke nav, Yosuke's like "Grrr, I hate that i'm doing this, but i'll team up with this time." NO. BAD. DO IT AGAIN.

See, I felt
they freaked out a pretty decent amount at the sight of him. There was enough other crazy bullshit going on that I think they were maybe a bit distracted. I admit, they should've been more upset, but like when Naoto spots him in the entrance to Tartarus, I don't think she has time to process what's going on because Sho's getting ready to initiate crazy red hyper sho mode in a minute.

I don't think Yosuke is really the kind to rush in and attack right away anymore, though. Like, after they grind Adachi's face into the dirt, isn't Yosuke the one who tells him they're not going to kill him because that's not how it's done? But I do agree that their reactions come across mostly as "No way!" and not "HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT MAJOR BAD GUY TIME" the way the P3 cast react to seeing Ikutsuki. Then again, Ikutsuki was supposed to be dead, so idk.

It'll be great in Persona 5 Arena when whatever plot that's going on get's interrupted by bearded Yu Narukami the Shadow Coperative fighting Sho happens and is supposed to be a big deal.

CorvoSol

The way I see it, it's a reference to Japanese mythology:

Hi-no-Kagutsuchi is the son of Izanami and Izanagi. As the god of fire, he burned his mother severely when he was born, causing Izanami's death. In his rage, Izanagi slew Hi-no-Kagutsuchi with his sword.

This is what the mythology says, and I'm sure you can see the parallels between it and P4AU's ending.

As to why both Izanagis fuse, we can only speculate, but I think the good Izanagi and the corrupted Izanagi momentarily fuse in order to create the true but flawed Izanagi that would kill his own son, Hi-no-Kagutsuchi, with his sword.

/Mr. Edogawa mode off :p

That makes too much sense.

Levito

Banned
Heyo PersonaGAF! I hope your Christmas and New Years were awesome!

Just dropping in to say that that Dale North and John are coming on the podcast next episode. Will be a mishmash of topics but the primary focus will be music in Persona! Quesitons post here.

If you're not familar with Dale, he was the EIC at Destructoid for many years, now works at GamesBeat. Not to mention games composer and big SMT/Persona fan.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
Heyo PersonaGAF! I hope your Christmas and New Years were awesome!

Just dropping in to say that that Dale North and John are coming on the podcast next episode. Will be a mishmash of topics but the primary focus will be music in Persona! Quesitons post here.

If you're not familar with Dale, he was the EIC at Destructoid for many years, now works at GamesBeat. Not to mention games composer and big SMT/Persona fan.

I asked one. Uh it there a way for you guys to screen it?

Acid08

Banned
The worst part about Shadow Revolver Hippie Jesus is that he isn't
also Bad Pun Evil School Chairman Jesus.

That reveal would've been so good.

Ikutsuki: "Heh, I have one final joke for you all. What do you call a dinosaur who leads a mysterious Shadow worshiping cult?"

*takes off shirt, revealing revolver stuck into pants*

Ikutsuki: "A Stregasaurus."

*hair turns white, rock music starts playing*

Thanks for the warm welcomes!

As for me, I just beat Chie's Shadow. Now the game's telling me that I can pretty much save Yukiko whenever I want, so long as it's not after the day the fog rolls into town.

So this is the part where I assume you can just go on about and explore, and do stuff to level up Social Links with other characters.

But I feel like I might as well go into Yukiko's dungeon to grind a bit right now, at least. I mean, there doesn't seem to be a lot for me to do right now. Whenever I talk to Yosuke and Chie, they immediately ask if I want to go straight to Yukiko, which seems like the most sensible option had it not been for Persona fusing. I'm just wondering how much the game expects me to level up before I inevitably go to fight Yukiko's boss.

Also, what should I focus on when Persona fusing? I haven't tried it yet. Fusing demons in SMT IV seemed simple enough at first, but the more demons that I got, it became one heck of a mess that was very difficult for me to follow. So I was wondering how I should go about it here.

Ask that to Tatsuya.

They're completely different end of the world scenarios though. Activating Xibalba saved everyone in Sumaru City by design. I'm not sure how The Fall would have actually wiped out mankind, but I wouldn't have thought there would be any survivors.

That Junpei design reminds me a lot of Kamina from Gurren Lagann.

All the addresses that used to go to the in development Atlus site now show an "under constuction" page: http://www.atlus.com/secretpersona5stuff

Meia

Thanks for the warm welcomes!

As for me, I just beat Chie's Shadow. Now the game's telling me that I can pretty much save Yukiko whenever I want, so long as it's not after the day the fog rolls into town.

So this is the part where I assume you can just go on about and explore, and do stuff to level up Social Links with other characters.

But I feel like I might as well go into Yukiko's dungeon to grind a bit right now, at least. I mean, there doesn't seem to be a lot for me to do right now. Whenever I talk to Yosuke and Chie, they immediately ask if I want to go straight to Yukiko, which seems like the most sensible option had it not been for Persona fusing. I'm just wondering how much the game expects me to level up before I inevitably go to fight Yukiko's boss.

Also, what should I focus on when Persona fusing? I haven't tried it yet. Fusing demons in SMT IV seemed simple enough at first, but the more demons that I got, it became one heck of a mess that was very difficult for me to follow. So I was wondering how I should go about it here.

In general, when someone is inside a dungeon and needs to be rescued, it's the only thing your party members will focus on(as in, no social linking with them at all). To really min/max if you cared that much about it, when it rains other non-party social links(as well as party ones) usually are also unavailable, so it's a good idea to save dungeon crawling for those days(you'll have some days that will rain, but it's the three in a row you have to be very careful of as that's your time limit). Of course, rainy days are also where you can pay 3k yen to up 3 of your social stats at once, so that's another thing to balance.

Still, on a first playthrough, if you want to do a dungeon, go for it. :D

In terms of personas, you'll probably want to have a varied set of them. You'll probably want one with a healing spell(single target and multi), then just varied elemental skills. For the most part, you are at the point where the game opens up slightly, but your options on what to do with free time are still very limited. This opens up a LOT more later. This also does apply to personas you can create too, as you have very limited social links to strengthen what you can make, and you have a rather small pool of personas to even draw from at first. In general, just try to hit the final floor by killing all shadows you run into, as that will usually put you at a high enough level to face what you're going to. You MAY have to grind a little bit in the castle, but maybe not.

FluxWaveZ

Is that Junpei on the right?

Yeah. All of his concept art for P4AU are over the top, in some way.

They're completely different end of the world scenarios though. Activating Xibalba saved everyone in Sumaru City by design. I'm not sure how The Fall would have actually wiped out mankind, but I wouldn't have thought there would be any survivors.

All the addresses that used to go to the in development Atlus site now show an "under constuction" page: http://www.atlus.com/secretpersona5stuff

I'm only kidding. But, considering what happens at the end of P3 and what happens from P2:IS going to P2:EP, a contrivance aimed at The Fall could be created to make it work anyways, for whatever spin-off it would entail. Or, instead of using the P3 doom scenario, they use the P4 doom scenario and take it from there.

And it's interesting to practically see what will apparently be the new Atlus USA site built up over time like this.

PK Gaming

Designs from an alternate reality SEES that failed to prevent The Fall. Call the game they're featured in: Persona 3: Eternal Punishment.

Greenlight it.

In a world where humanity is at the brink of collapse

Protagonist: Huh...? Where am I?

You are humanity's last hope

Mitsuru: At last, the chance to set things right.

Only you can save the world from complete destruction

Junpei: Heh, you remind me of someone I used to know.

A young man (or woman) will rise to his (or her) destiny

Yukari: I told you to NEVER SPEAK OF HIM AGAIN!

Will you succeed?

Akihiko: I quit fighting a long time ago.

Or will the future refuse to change?

Ken: [PROTAGONIST'S NAME]!!!

[PERSONA 3: THE FINAL MIRACLE]

???: Well then, I guess it's time I made my appearance.

Mitsuru: Who... who are you?

???: Call me Yu. Yu Narukami.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
In a world where humanity is at the brink of collapse

Protagonist: Huh...? Where am I?

You are humanity's last hope

Mitsuru: At last, the chance to set things right.

Only you can save the world from complete destruction

Junpei: Heh, you remind me of someone I used to know.

A young man (or woman) will rise to his (or her) destiny

Yukari: I told you to NEVER SPEAK OF HIM AGAIN!

Will you succeed?

Akihiko: I quit fighting a long time ago.

Or will the future refuse to change?

Ken: [PROTAGONIST'S NAME]!!!

[PERSONA 3: THE FINAL MIRACLE]

???: Well then, I guess it's time I made my appearance.

Mitsuru: Who... who are you?

???: Call me Yu. Yu Narukami.

p8qfIdh.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom