• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nimby

Banned
Yeah. All of his concept art for P4AU are over the top, in some way.

Design wouldn't be too bad for a new character. It's like drawing a stick figure with red hair and saying "Yep, that's definitely Yukari."

Personal opinion: They should have made Junpei a rapper in Ultimax.

Xenoflare

Design wouldn't be too bad for a new character. It's like drawing a stick figure with red hair and saying "Yep, that's definitely Yukari."

Make Junpei a Lotus Juice insert.

FluxWaveZ

He literally has dozens of concept art in the P4AU art book. Some of him is as a rapper. One of his is in a car that transforms into a mech suit.
Taw0vS7.png

PERSONA 3: THE FINAL MIRACLE]

Remove the protagonist character and greenlight it as the template for the Platinum Persona game spin-off.

Sophia

Designs from an alternate reality SEES that failed to prevent The Fall. Call the game they're featured in: Persona 3: Eternal Punishment.

Greenlight it.

Heh, I know you're joking but (P3 SPOILERS)
it's pretty clear that the Fall would inflict apathy syndrome on the entire world, killing everyone off. The only question remains is if Aigis would be affected. Technically, she might be the most powerful person in the world by virtue of being the only person in the world if she was unaffected..... not that she'd be able to do anything with it. >_>

FluxWaveZ

Au contraire, mon ami

I don't want a retread of Persona 3's music for Persona 5, and the same vocalist would lend a lot to doing that. It works in PQ and P4AU (and probably P4D) for obvious reasons, but I just want "new" from the "new" Persona game.

Nimby

Banned
I don't want a retread of Persona 3's music for Persona 5, and the same vocalist would lend a lot to doing that. It works in PQ and P4AU (and probably P4D) for obvious reasons, but I just want "new" from the "new" Persona game.

We will have a new female vocal surely. I think he has a lot of variety, stuff from P4 animation doesn't sound anything like P3. Maybe like two songs please. All I want.

Jintor

Seriously though he wasn't in P4 so I doubt he'll be in P5. I'm pretty sure they're going to go all new like they did for P4.

It's just when they start the twenty cross-over games that we'll start hearing everybody together \o/

Technically, she might be the most powerful person in the world by virtue of being the only person in the world if she was unaffected.....

Labrys, no?

Now I want a game where Aigis and Labrys journey the world to fight crime. Raidou spiritual successor, maybe?

Sophia

Labrys, no?

Now I want a game where Aigis and Labrys journey the world to fight crime. Raidou spiritual successor, maybe?

Oh yeah, I guess there'd be Labrys too. It'd be all a moot point however. With so few living beings, the heat death of the universe would happen sometime soon after the Fall according to the new content in P2 EP portable.

Oh yeah, I guess there'd be Labrys too. It'd be all a moot point however. With so few living beings, the heat death of the universe would happen sometime soon after the Fall according to the new content in P2 EP portable.

I'm guessing you mean that the Fall triggers the heat death, not that it takes until the heat death for the Fall to happen.

I swear, I'll play P2 someday. Just not in the perceivable future.

FluxWaveZ

With so few living beings, the heat death of the universe would happen sometime soon after the Fall according to the new content in P2 EP portable.

Oh, really? That I didn't know about; guess there are certain things I glossed over from the Tatsuya scenario in EPP. A reminder of the one Persona game that will never get localized...

Concerning the setting of any future inevitable spin-off, it'll be good if it no longer has to do with Inaba and, especially, Yasogami. I'm surprised by how cool some of the revelations in PQ were when I wasn't expecting much from it; Rei is definitely my favorite of the Persona spin-off newcomers, at least in terms of backstory, though I haven't finished the game yet.

At least P4D won't revolve around Inaba, Yasogami or even the Midnight Channel, but who knows where that story's going to go...

Sophia

I'm guessing you mean that the Fall triggers the heat death, not that it takes until the heat death for the Fall to happen.

I swear, I'll play P2 someday. Just not in the perceivable future.

P2 EP PORTABLE AND P3 SPOILERS:
Yeah, basically. In the EP scenario, Nodens (Cthulhu Mythos character) mentions that people living happy lives with positive emotions can counter-balance the heat death of the universe. With nobody alive, much less happy, that heat death is probably going to come real quick. This is actually consistent with what the Nyx Avatar says too at the end of P3. "If more people were like SEES, then the Fall could have been prevented" and all that.

Oh, really? That I didn't know about; guess there are certain things I glossed over from the Tatsuya scenario in EPP. A reminder of the one Persona game that will never get localized...

Concerning the setting of any future inevitable spin-off, it'll be good if it no longer has to do with Inaba and, especially, Yasogami. I'm surprised by how cool some of the revelations in PQ were when I wasn't expecting much from it; Rei is definitely my favorite of the Persona spin-off newcomers, at least in terms of backstory, though I haven't finished the game yet.

At least P4D won't revolve around Inaba, Yasogami or even the Midnight Channel, but who knows where that story's going to go...

It really sucks that we never got the Tatsuya Scenario properly translated. It's incredibly fascinating how the information ties in with future installments.

PK Gaming

Momoka would probably kill everyone, ahahaha

I'm not sure how I feel about this.

Ecstasy

He literally has dozens of concept art in the P4AU art book. Some of him is as a rapper. One of his is in a car that transforms into a mech suit.

Remove the protagonist character and greenlight it as the template for the Platinum Persona game spin-off.

No can do. The new protagonist character is mandatory, otherwise wouldn't get scenes like this:

Protagonist: Look, I know you guys want to save the word, but... this isn't my fight. I... I NEVER WANTED THIS.

In a world where humanity is at the brink of collapse

Protagonist: Huh...? Where am I?

You are humanity's last hope

Mitsuru: At last, the chance to set things right.

Only you can save the world from complete destruction

Junpei: Heh, you remind me of someone I used to know.

A young man (or woman) will rise to his (or her) destiny

Yukari: I told you to NEVER SPEAK OF HIM AGAIN!

Will you succeed?

Akihiko: I quit fighting a long time ago.

Or will the future refuse to change?

Ken: [PROTAGONIST'S NAME]!!!

[PERSONA 3: THE FINAL MIRACLE]

???: Well then, I guess it's time I made my appearance.

Mitsuru: Who... who are you?

???: Call me Yu. Yu Narukami.

This summer...

Bonds will be made...

AND BROKEN.

arue

Ikutsuki: "Heh, I have one final joke for you all. What do you call a dinosaur who leads a mysterious Shadow worshiping cult?"

*takes off shirt, revealing revolver stuck into pants*

Ikutsuki: "A Stregasaurus."

*hair turns white, rock music starts playing*
LOL the last two lines are gold.

In a world where humanity is at the brink of collapse

Protagonist: Huh...? Where am I?

You are humanity's last hope

Mitsuru: At last, the chance to set things right.

Only you can save the world from complete destruction

Junpei: Heh, you remind me of someone I used to know.

A young man (or woman) will rise to his (or her) destiny

Yukari: I told you to NEVER SPEAK OF HIM AGAIN!

Will you succeed?

Akihiko: I quit fighting a long time ago.

Or will the future refuse to change?

Ken: [PROTAGONIST'S NAME]!!!

[PERSONA 3: THE FINAL MIRACLE]

???: Well then, I guess it's time I made my appearance.

Mitsuru: Who... who are you?

???: Call me Yu. Yu Narukami.
Sounds like the prequel to Persona 4 Platinum.

Jomjom

Banned
Hi Persona GAF. I was just wondering plotwise is there any difference between EP ps1 and psp? I can really only play the PS1 version since I can't read Japanese.

Also are P2 and P3 and 4 connected? Trying to figure out if I should start from 1 or 3.

PK Gaming

Hi Persona GAF. I was just wondering plotwise is there any difference between EP ps1 and psp? I can really only play the PS1 version since I can't read Japanese.

Also are P2 and P3 and 4 connected? Trying to figure out if I should start from 1 or 3.

No differences plotwise, though the PSP version of P2:EP adds the Tatsuya scenario, which is an extra story mode of sorts. All of the Persona games are loosely connected, but there's really no reason to play them in chronological order. Here's how'd tackle them

1) P3 or P4. Whichever game appeals to you more (though P4 has better gameplay)
2) P1
3) P2:Innocent Sin and P2: Eternal Punishment. The gameplay in these games are dreadful, but if you're passionate about Persona you should give them a chance. The stories in these game are quite good.

arue

Can't say anything about P2EP since I never played it before, but PK's reply should answer your question.

There are small cameos from P1 in P2 and from P3 in P4, but they do not affect the gameplay, so you can start with any game in the series.

You can start with Persona 1 if you wish, but if the gameplay does not appeal to you, you can start with P3 instead. I'd recommend starting with P3 first and then P4 because it's hard to go back to P3 after playing P4 due to the better gameplay in P4.

No differences plotwise, though the PSP version of P2:EP adds the Tatsuya scenario, which is an extra story mode of sorts. All of the Persona games are loosely connected, but there's really no reason to play them in chronological order. Here's how'd tackle them

1) P3 or P4. Whichever game appeals to you more (though P4 has better gameplay)
2) P1
3) P2:Innocent Sin and P2: Eternal Punishment. The gameplay in these games are dreadful, but if you're passionate about Persona you should give them a chance. The stories in these game are quite good.
I dunno if I would call the gameplay in P2 dreadful and more of simply just dated. As I find the gameplay to be playable and fine, it's just that some of the game mechanics have not aged all that well since the games released. Though it is nice that it's not game over if the MC is KO'd in battle.

I dunno if I would call the gameplay in P2 dreadful and more of simply just dated. As I find the gameplay to be playable and fine, it's just that some of the game mechanics have not aged all that well since the games released. Though it is nice that it's not game over if the MC is KO'd in battle.

I'm glad that mechanic isnt in PQ as well (except on Risky).

It always annoyed me that once the leader gets KO'd, all the other party members just lose the will to live and give up, accept their fate and just die!

YOU HAVE REVIVAL BEADS, JUST USE ONE!!!!!

Meia

For Persona 3,
I always took it that if the MC dies, Death would probably be released. That or it would die, thus effectively ending the story anyway. In other SMTs where this also happens, you have demons helping you, but it's not like they care about you. Persona 4 is really the only one I have no earthly idea why Yu passing out = game over.

Sophia

For Persona 3,
I always took it that if the MC dies, Death would probably be released. That or it would die, thus effectively ending the story anyway. In other SMTs where this also happens, you have demons helping you, but it's not like they care about you. Persona 4 is really the only one I have no earthly idea why Yu passing out = game over.

The justification for Persona 4 is (MAJOR SPOILS)
Narukami, Adachi, and Namatame are all pieces in Izanami's game. If Narukami falls in battle, he has lost that game. Much in the same reason Adachi lost it when they beat him.

Setsu00

The protagonists of P3 and P4 are meant to be the player and the games themselves are the player's journey. If you take this into consideration, then ending the game when the player character dies is only logical. Of course, this kinda ignores revival spells and revival beads that your party members may use, but the mechanic is justified as long as you don't have access to those things.

At least, that's what I think.

I understand those reasonings and justifications for MC death meaning game over, but this is just one of those HEAVY cases of Gameplay/story segregation.

Your party members can die at any point and come back with a revival, but the MC cant because......... why?

It's just a mechanic that annoys me is all, nothing major, just me having a lighthearted moan XD

In general, when someone is inside a dungeon and needs to be rescued, it's the only thing your party members will focus on(as in, no social linking with them at all). To really min/max if you cared that much about it, when it rains other non-party social links(as well as party ones) usually are also unavailable, so it's a good idea to save dungeon crawling for those days(you'll have some days that will rain, but it's the three in a row you have to be very careful of as that's your time limit). Of course, rainy days are also where you can pay 3k yen to up 3 of your social stats at once, so that's another thing to balance.

Still, on a first playthrough, if you want to do a dungeon, go for it. :D

In terms of personas, you'll probably want to have a varied set of them. You'll probably want one with a healing spell(single target and multi), then just varied elemental skills. For the most part, you are at the point where the game opens up slightly, but your options on what to do with free time are still very limited. This opens up a LOT more later. This also does apply to personas you can create too, as you have very limited social links to strengthen what you can make, and you have a rather small pool of personas to even draw from at first. In general, just try to hit the final floor by killing all shadows you run into, as that will usually put you at a high enough level to face what you're going to. You MAY have to grind a little bit in the castle, but maybe not.

Thanks for the advice!

So yeah, I decided to hop right into the castle and grind a bit right away.

For a while, I thought that Yukiko's shadow would be fought on the second floor, so I spent a lot of time on the first floor grinding shadows and getting cards. It wasn't until later until I discovered that I had to trek up like, 5 more floors before I could fight the boss.

I think I was about level 9 when I went to fight her. She was pretty tricky, but it got easier once I realized the trick was to stay on the offensive and keep that prince of hers in check.

I got incredibly lucky though when my character had half his HP left and Yukiko's shadow got an extra attack, yet chose to just knock out Chie and Yosuke.

So after that, then some stuff became open a bit to pass the time while I waited for Yukiko to recover.

So then I increased the social link rank up a bit with Yosuke and Chie after that, and I basically just went with the flow. I explored the town, raised my knowledge level a bit, etc. I also fused some Personas in order to get one that cures status ailments and has a decent magic stat.

What's the most important social stat to level up? I feel like I should be leveling up courage, but there doesn't seem to be a way to do that.

Lunar15

I understand those reasonings and justifications for MC death meaning game over, but this is just one of those HEAVY cases of Gameplay/story segregation.

Your party members can die at any point and come back with a revival, but the MC cant because......... why?

It's just a mechanic that annoys me is all, nothing major, just me having a lighthearted moan XD

EDIT: Completely misunderstood the point of your post.

Yeah, makes sense in 3, not so much in 4.

Party leader death = game over made somewhat sense in P3 because you didn't directly control the party. It was still dumb, but it had a justification of sorts.

P4 seems to have it because P3 had it and no other reason. I'd be happy to never see it again though. Giving the player character the ability to switch Personas and requiring them on your party is enough to make them special, they don't need the entirety of the battle system revolving around them

Meia

Thanks for the advice!

So yeah, I decided to hop right into the castle and grind a bit right away.

For a while, I thought that Yukiko's shadow would be fought on the second floor, so I spent a lot of time on the first floor grinding shadows and getting cards. It wasn't until later until I discovered that I had to trek up like, 5 more floors before I could fight the boss.

I think I was about level 9 when I went to fight her. She was pretty tricky, but it got easier once I realized the trick was to stay on the offensive and keep that prince of hers in check.

I got incredibly lucky though when my character had half his HP left and Yukiko's shadow got an extra attack, yet chose to just knock out Chie and Yosuke.

So after that, then some stuff became open a bit to pass the time while I waited for Yukiko to recover.

So then I increased the social link rank up a bit with Yosuke and Chie after that, and I basically just went with the flow. I explored the town, raised my knowledge level a bit, etc. I also fused some Personas in order to get one that cures status ailments and has a decent magic stat.

What's the most important social stat to level up? I feel like I should be leveling up courage, but there doesn't seem to be a way to do that.

Damn man, lv9 for Yukiko seems really low, must have been some fight. :p

All of the social stats do something. Some are needed to start part time jobs that are tied to specific social links, and some are needed to progress through a link(Justice, for example, has a few points where your Expression needs to be a certain level to do the event where the link will progress). Ultimately, Diligence I think is your least important one as it mainly effects how many times you can fish per block of time, though I think one of it's levels is tied to the start of a link(Tutoring I think?).

Good thing to keep in mind is Knowledge always takes almost 2x the amount of points to level up as other stats do, so it's something you may want to keep in mind. Really though, just play how you want to, do social links you want to, etc. On a New Game +, all of your social stats carry over, making it much easier to max everyone in a playthrough.

CorvoSol

Party leader death = game over made somewhat sense in P3 because you didn't directly control the party. It was still dumb, but it had a justification of sorts.

P4 seems to have it because P3 had it and no other reason. I'd be happy to never see it again though. Giving the player character the ability to switch Personas and requiring them on your party is enough to make them special, they don't need the entirety of the battle system revolving around them

Yeah the party leader death equals game over is a thing JRPGs should throw in the trash forever and ever.

Sophia

Yeah the party leader death equals game over is a thing JRPGs should throw in the trash forever and ever.

I actually quite like it in Persona Q. But there your main character isn't a magical snowflake who is always two tiers of abilities ahead of the rest of the party.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom