• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FluxWaveZ

Highly doubt EOV will be that late. That team seems to be entirely independent and they're also fine with reusing assets it seems. Even if EOV is some huge makeover, the last mainline game is still 2.5 years old.

Expecting it in early 2016. I hope so, at least.

EOV will absolutely not be in early 2016.
In this Famitsu article, EO series director/scenario writer Shigeo Komori says just a bit about EOV, it seems. Can't read Japanese, but it sounds like the game's just entering active development (so it's most likely not a 2015 game). Also something about "back to basics" and a "pure 3D dungeon RPG."
They can always release another Untold in 2016 or even a collaboration spin-off if an EO game has to be released by then.

Edit: Oh wow, wonder if I got it. The title that Atlus CEO said had just begun development that was slated for a release three years away from 2014 might be Etrian Odyssey V. The 2017 game was implied to not be a new IP, was referred to after hinting at an impending Etrian Odyssey Untold 2 announcement and, if we consider Shigeo Komori's interview, it would fit.

Something that comes to mind is the possibility that EOV isn't outright being developed for a platform that has been announced yet, which would explain why no platform has been announced for it at all, which is an anomaly when Atlus announces games (even considering Persona 5).

Wonder if we'll get anything when the countdown hits 25 days. That sort of ties in with the 5 theme.

And I'm starting to wonder if Dancing will release before 5. It feels like it should though.

EDIT: Hmmm... am I the only PersonaGaffer currently participating in RPJ this year?

No. No you aint =D

I wonder if the recent commercial and critical success of Persona Q may influence Atlus on making another one?

Obviously not like Q was, with it being a fanservice spinoff crossover, but a persona based EO style game? Maybe with original characters?

Finally got around to playing P4G last month and wrapped it up a few nights back. Accepting the fact that I'm falling into an "everything Persona I've missed in recent years" binge and jumping back into P3, which I haven't played since its original release. After some FES/P3P waffling I went with the latter as it's a) portable and b) closest to P4G's "streamlined" feel, and I found this GB post that gives dates/times to queue up the PS2 cutscenes. After this, probably going into Arena and Ultimax... all Persona all the time. It's funny how my end-of-year backlog always winds up taking the back burner to older games.

Nimby

Banned
I wonder if the recent commercial and critical success of Persona Q may influence Atlus on making another one?

Obviously not like Q was, with it being a fanservice spinoff crossover, but a persona based EO style game? Maybe with original characters?

I hope we're done with the Persona milking train for a while. I'd just prefer a new EO than PQ.

No. No you aint =D

I wouldn't be surprised if we got a Strange Journey remake next, in the same style of the Untold games.

FluxWaveZ

I hope we're done with the Persona milking train for a while. I'd just prefer a new EO than PQ.

Persona 4 Dancing is coming, though. Wouldn't be surprised if a new Persona game was announced this year, either. 2016 is the series' 20th anniversary, after all.

Nimby

Banned
I'd prefer the former to the latter any day.

I don't really want it either, but what other genre could they touch upon really? Besides racing which I'm sure a lot of us were joking about anyway.

Well after P4 there is always P5 to milk the crap out of.

I like the idea of a remastered collection

I don't attest to milking, really. I don't know, I just want something completely new for a little bit.

Xenoflare

I don't really want it either, but what other genre could they touch upon really? Besides racing which I'm sure a lot of us were joking about anyway.

Persona Survivors 3DS.

In a warped version of Tatsumi Port Island with p3 and p4 cast.

Using the art style and system of devil survivor.

/jk

FluxWaveZ

Pretty sure if P4D wasn't announced right now, you could ask the exact same question.

I don't mind the spin-off strategy at all because they've all been good, and all been very different from one another.

Nimby

Banned
Pretty sure if P4D wasn't announced right now, you could ask the exact same question.

I don't mind the spin-off strategy at all because they've all been good, and all been very different from one another.

True, I still wouldn't want a kart racer though. I would welcome a VN, specifically the P4 cast doing more normal high school stuff (I really want this actually, but I may be alone), and I would down for more Arena with a broader characters from every Persona including 5.

Persona x Mystery Dungeon

Ace Attorney style game where you have to (p4 spoiler)
defend Namatame and get Adachi convicted
. Or defend Teddie from a sexual harassment lawsuit.

We already have Dancing incoming, but a Theatrhythm style music game would be nice. So something with more minimalistic presentation and hundreds of tracks.

FluxWaveZ

True, I still wouldn't want a kart racer though. I would welcome a VN, specifically the P4 cast doing more normal high school stuff (I really want this actually, but I may be alone), and I would down for more Arena with a broader characters from every Persona including 5.

When I've brought up an over the top, Platinum Games co-developed spin-off before, I wasn't really joking. Like the comments/fan art about a Persona fighting game before P4A came into existence, this is something I would genuinely want to see.

I think once a dancing game, of all things, became a thing, all bets are off. Like Space Dandy, Persona could become a platform for (quality) spin-off entries tackled by multiple different perspectives/developers that are radically different from each other in nature, and are fully unexpected at the same time.

I do think the likelihood of a new game in the series announced this year is high, but who knows if they will continue with the spin-off strategy anytime soon. It's clear that branching the Persona series out like they have, with the core of the games produced by different developers, was an interim strategy while Atlus' main creative 2nd department was focused on Persona 5. Once that's done, considering everything has already had a remake and there've been four entire spin-offs during P5's development, things will be different for the series compared to how it's been for a very long time.

Still better than the new Igor.
New Igor and New Margaret + Marie. P4MC sure has the worst Velvet Room, huh.
It wasn't very long, but the conversation reminded me of the longer conversation they had in the P3 route of Ultimax. It sort of plays back into the whole view of how Teddie and Aigis are very innocent, despite their mannerisms.
I think that's a very cool effect/detail, since PQ came over first in Japan.
Persona x Mystery Dungeon

Ace Attorney style game where you have to (p4 spoiler)
defend Namatame and get Adachi convicted
. Or defend Teddie from a sexual harassment lawsuit.

We already have Dancing incoming, but a Theatrhythm style music game would be nice. So something with more minimalistic presentation and hundreds of tracks.
tumblr_me5ptbhW391rveh0xo1_400.jpg

I would LOVE to death any of those ideas.
Persona Survivors 3DS.

In a warped version of Tatsumi Port Island with p3 and p4 cast.

Using the art style and system of devil survivor.
O:

Meia

Heh, this is one of the joke ones I keep coming back to.

Next year is Ace Attorney's 15th anniversary and Persona's 20th.

Damn I hadn't seen that one before, sooooo good. Can just picture one of the faces popping up at a crucial "Objection" moment. :D

Nimby

Banned
I would rather see Raidou in a Platinum developed spectacle fighter. I would really like to see another Raidou game in general really.

Idea: Titular Atlus characters and titular Capcom characters battle it out in Atlus vs. Capcom. I've mentioned this before, but I think that would be pretty neat. Not necessarily Persona, but you got Yu vs. Ryu, Demi-fiend vs. Dante, Phoenix Wright, Ammy, and all your favorites.

Xenoflare

I would rather see Raidou in a Platinum developed spectacle fighter. I would really like to see another Raidou game in general really.

Idea: Titular Atlus characters and titular Capcom characters battle it out in Atlus vs. Capcom. I've mentioned this before, but I think that would be pretty neat. Not necessarily Persona, but you got Yu vs. Ryu, Demi-fiend vs. Dante, Phoenix Wright, Ammy, and all your favorites.

I brought up this idea too and so did many others, seems like a popular idea around here.

Another idea: Smash Megami Tensei! Take one more for the team, Sakurai!
Seriously, though. That guy deserves to be emancipated from Smash.

Nap1400

Should I be the jerk and mention the prospect of Mara in a fighting game

How about a strategy RPG spin-off game?
rip SMTxFE, all hail P3/4xFE
+1 to Persona: Golfing All Day
Wow, Yukari and Yukiko sure are cold in Persona Q.

I know, right? I've always felt that Yukari is more intentional about it than Yukiko. Like, Yuki had more naivety/innocence to her (brutal) honesty, but PQ sure is showing me otherwise :p

I wouldn't change a thing though. Love 'em both.

FluxWaveZ

Did a bit of research about the Atlus "Storie" (officially transliterated to "Story") trademark I had recently found. Thoughts:
  • It's obviously video game related, for pertaining to class 9 (computer software) under the 10th edition of international classification.
  • The trademark lacks a class 28 filing (a physical arcade and home video game machine related trademark), which means that "Storie" is not a retail/physical game.
  • What's interesting compared to several other digital-only game trademarks, though, is that Storie is the only one which retains a class 16 filing (software manuals and physical documentation).
  • Every single video game related trademark I saw had a class 41 filing (general video game information distribution and advertising), but none had a class 42 filing (design, implementation and maintenance of computer software) like Storie does.
  • Obviously, class 42 can pertain to video game engines, such as the Nintendo Web Framework, but it can also pertain to software/online platforms/portals, like Sega's "Noah Pass" or Square Enix's "SQEX BRIDGE" (which also has classes 9, 35, 41 and 42).
Essentially, mainly on the basis of its class 42, I'm going to guess "Storie" is one of five things:
  1. A portal website.
  2. A dedicated, online storefront.
  3. A mobile game.
  4. A website framework.
  5. A game engine.
I was also thinking something like "internally used database system" but, obviously, a trademark wouldn't be needed for something that wouldn't be publicly accessed or referred to. Point 1 seems redundant, as Atlus already has plenty of those, plus I don't see why they would need another. The same applies to point 2, as well as it seeming unrealistic. Point 3 is another possibility, but it would make the class 16 and class 42 filings significant anomalies as, again, pretty much all other mobile game trademarks do not have those class filings. Point 4 seems like it could apply, but I'm not sure it fits due to the reasons I gave against point 1, and the trademark is called "Story" not "Atlus Database Manager."

Basically, I think the most likely of the possibilities I came up with is point 5. "Storie", or the "Story Engine", would be the name of an Atlus proprietary game engine. Possibly even Persona 5's; it's possible they'll give a name to it since they mentioned developing their own, after all.

*To see the trademark for yourself, do this:
- Go to the Japanese Trademark Database (to the right side of the link).
- In the "Select Search Items" field, select "Application number/Reclassification number.
- Search for "2014-97022".
- Click on Index.

See, to me, both instances look like Yukiko is simply stating a fact, whereas Yukari intentionally oftentimes goes out of her way to put down Junpei (without any actual malice, she likes to tease, I should add).

However, I feel like Yukiko's attitude in P4 skewed more towards an innocent, tone-deaf, matter-of-fact manner of speaking— whereas in PQ, she aligns more with Yukari's brusque style. It's like she's more self-aware and uses a rapid tonal shift to her advantage in order to shut Teddie/Junpei down. I like it.

Or maybe it's just me :V

Edit: Storie-time with Uncle Flux oh boy! Keep on digging you newshound!

Did a bit of research about the Atlus "Storie" (officially transliterated to "Story") trademark I had recently found. Thoughts:

Essentially, mainly on the basis of its class 42, I'm going to guess "Storie" is one of five things:

I was also thinking something like "internally used database system" but, obviously, a trademark wouldn't be needed for something that wouldn't be publicly accessed or referred to. Point 1 seems redundant, as Atlus already has plenty of those, plus I don't see why they would need another. The same applies to point 2, as well as it seeming unrealistic. Point 3 is another possibility, but it would make the class 16 and class 42 filings significant anomalies as, again, pretty much all other mobile game trademarks do not have those class filings. Point 4 seems like it could apply, but I'm not sure it fits due to the reasons I gave against point 1, and the trademark is called "Story" not "Atlus Database Manager."

Basically, I think the most likely of the possibilities I came up with is point 5. "Storie", or the "Story Engine", would be the name of an Atlus proprietary game engine. Possibly even Persona 5's; it's possible they'll give a name to it since they mentioned developing their own, after all.

*To see the trademark for yourself, do this:

I have a feeling that "Asraga Adventure Chronicle" is a series that will spin-off of Etrian Mystery Dungeon. Asraga is actually Aslarga, and is the main world in Etrian Mystery Dungeon, as seen in the text of screenshots and trailers, which use the same kana for the word in the trademark. Aslarga is the world's official name according to English media. What also makes me think this is what is said at the end of the first Etrian Mystery Dungeon trailer. What is said is: "Dungeon RPG is forever. This is the new origin." So, maybe Etrian Mystery Dungeon is the new origin for a new series.

So, for some reason, I decided to type storie.jp after reading Flux's post. There was no server found, so I decided to do a WHOIS, and guess what I stumbled upon.

This is definitely related. Something is going on. But, why are they using Amazon servers, and why is Index Corporation the registrant? Did ATLUS forget to change their registrant status? Onamae is the site where this domain was bought, like with persona5.jp and the other ATLUS domais, and it's obvious that this is related to the trademark Flux posted. I just wonder what it's for.

This is strange... Sorry for the accidental double post, by the way.

FluxWaveZ

I have a feeling that "Asraga Adventure Chronicle" is a series that will spin-off of Etrian Mystery Dungeon. Asraga is actually Aslarga, and is the main world in Etrian Mystery Dungeon, as seen in the text of screenshots and trailers, which use the same kana for the word in the trademark. Aslarga is the world's official name according to English media. What also makes me think this is what is said at the end of the first Etrian Mystery Dungeon trailer. What is said is: "Dungeon RPG is forever. This is the new origin." So, maybe Etrian Mystery Dungeon is the new origin for a new series.

You're absolutely right about the trademark being Etrian Mystery Dungeon related; I was informed as much by someone who would know. The way I was told, however, lead me to think that "Asraga Adventure Chronicle" literally is the game "Etrian Mystery Dungeon." The timing between the trademark application and its reveal would lend to that conclusion, as well. However, the "Adventure Chronicle" part really does stand out, and I'm not sure why they'd have to file such an indirectly worded trademark for the game "Etrian Mystery Dungeon", especially when they already have the IP. You might be right about it being for additional spin-offs of the game, or maybe even a cross-media project that isn't a game (Atlus did say they want to do those with their brands other than Persona now).

So, for some reason, I decided to type storie.jp after reading Flux's post. There was no server found, so I decided to do a WHOIS, and guess what I stumbled upon.

Nice find. So now we have further confirmation that "Storie" really is something. Significant enough to get its own dedicated domain, too... well, unless the domain turns out to be what "Storie" actually embodies.

Registered by Index Corp... but created so recently that one would think Atlus would have; "Storie" is an Atlus owned trademark and not an Index one like Deviliser or Persona Stalker Club, after all, and Atlus owns the other domains (they had even changed persona5.jp's registrant from Index to Atlus after the acquisition stuff happened). Using the same domain registrar as the other websites... but using Amazon servers instead of Japan based ones like the rest (and the IP address reflects that).

Interesting. I can't think of anything regarding those two discrepancies right now. It'd be really silly if the registrant was a mistake but, if it isn't that, then a random guess could be that, related to some of the possibilities I made, "Storie" could be one of Index's new services/platforms, but handled by Atlus? Doesn't sound right, though.

Edit: Persona 3 attained rank 7 on NeoGAF's "Essential RPGs - 2015 edition", experiencing a significant 29 rank rise compared to the last vote. Further signs that the series is becoming a big(ger) deal among enthusiasts.

The first time you take Kanji into the TV he's chowing down and wondering what he should order next and Yukiko's like "None of them." It might just be that Yukiko doesn't realize how cold she can be, but that only makes her delivery that much icier.

I've always gotten the idea that she's learned how to be ridiculously passive-aggressive given the people she'd have to put up with at the inn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom