• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jinto

I finally got around to playing the story mode in P4AU. Just finished with episode P4 even though it's only 94% complete. I'm assuming getting 100% involves playing through the other episodes?

So far, I like that it's way less tedious than the first game, but the overall story hasn't been as good. Compared to Labrys,
Sho
is a rather boring character. There aren't as many funny parts either. On the plus side, Kanji and Yukiko don't come off nearly as dumb this time around.

Can't really comment on the P3 cast, since they haven't been shown all that much. The encounter between
Yukari
and
Rise
was fun.

Acid08

Banned
I liked Golden's opening. Not sure where I'd rank it though, I find things to like in all openings.

Yeah I like all of them.

I think P2ISP has a really really great one actually. Burn My Dread will probably always be the classic one for me, though P4 vanilla's opening is preeeeeeetty close.

Busaiku

Man, the Persona Q ending made me sad.
Poor Shinjiro and Makoto. As well as everyone from Persona 4, since they never had Shinjiro's cooking.

CorvoSol

I finally got around to playing the story mode in P4AU. Just finished with episode P4 even though it's only 94% complete. I'm assuming getting 100% involves playing through the other episodes?

So far, I like that it's way less tedious than the first game, but the overall story hasn't been as good. Compared to Labrys,
Sho
is a rather boring character. There aren't as many funny parts either. On the plus side, Kanji and Yukiko don't come off nearly as dumb this time around.

Can't really comment on the P3 cast, since they haven't been shown all that much. The encounter between
Yukari
and
Rise
was fun.

I sort of kinda think Ultimax's side P3 is the better side. I like the IT more than SEES, but Labrys is really great in side P3, to the point of sort of improving Sho's character. I think all the endings are pretty good, though, and I love Rise in side P4. Kinda like the interactions more in side P4 between the two casts, but Labrys is just really solid in side P3.

kewlmyc

So do we know if the Feb 5/6 (I forget the date) concert is going to be streamed or not? Wondering if I should take the day off from work or not.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Why does everyone hate The Answer so much? I went through it straight after finishing the Journey when I replayed P3 last year, there's nothing wrong with it.

What are the complaints? That it's combat focused?

Why does everyone hate The Answer so much? I went through it straight after finishing the Journey when I replayed P3 last year, there's nothing wrong with it.

'Hate' is too strong. It's just that they stripped out a lot of features that made FES enjoyable.
That and they made certain characters more irritable to help get the conflict ball rolling.

EDIT: The Answer tells you its intentions from the get go. It insists on making things difficult.

DNAbro

Was just annoyed at it, isn't the difficulty harder than the journey? I swear I was missing way too much when trying exploit weaknesses so I just got pissed.

Sophia

The Answer has a number of design choices that are specifically designed to antagonize the player and make things more frustrating. The difficulty is equivalent to hard mode, with no option to change it. They start you off with a level 25 Orpheus that's only marginally better then the level 1 Orpheus you begin the original game with. You have to complete the first dungeon before you have access to the shops. There's no fusion spells. There's no compendium. It's difficult to amass some Personas early on, and you're locked out of of a few party members too for the first dungeon for silly reasons.

Then some people disliked the story. That particular element has died down in recent years, but back around Persona 4's launch there was a lot of hate for it.

And then you had the people who decided not to level Metis ever. They paid the price for selfishness of using their favorites over her when she was mandatory in one late section! :p

Was just annoyed at it, isn't the difficulty harder than the journey? I swear I was missing way too much when trying exploit weaknesses so I just got pissed.

The Answer's difficulty is comparable to Hard Mode in the main game. However the enemies suspiciously have a lot of "Evade" type skills on them, which makes it more annoying than it needs to be. The Rebellious Cyclops bosss in Empyrean has triple the evasion to all physical attacks, for example. :\

PK Gaming

I've always felt that the Answer was much, much easier than P3FES's hard mode. Because in P3FES's hard mode, if you don't get enemy advantage, there's a set chance that the enemy will get enemy advantage. Yes, that means that striking a shadow head on can cause you to potentially get wiped if they get the enemy advantage. P3FES's hard mode is miserable if you don't abuse the pause menu trick, because winning a fight comes down to luck otherwise. Don't even thinking about raising your social stats; every night should be spent on Tartarus to get as much levels and Money as possible.

Meanwhile in the Answer:

-Aigis's ranged attack is amazing, so getting enemy advantage's is a snap
-You have Metis, the most broken party member in Persona history. If you aren't using her Neo Orgia Mode for 99% of your random encounters, you're depriving yourself of a win condition
-Everyone starts out at level 25. The beginning of P3FES's hard mode is rough because your characters start at low levels. It's not uncommon for Yukari to get OHKOed from simple Ma- spells in hard mode. In The Answer on the other hand, everyone has enough durability to survive at least one hit
-Seriously, just use Metis.

Fuck Metis and her shit design, annoying voice, and for the game forcing her on you late (late) in a game that doesn't have shared experience. Unacceptably poor game design.

Lunar15

Did they ever make that manga for PQ?

Did anyone ever finish translating the P4 Manga?

I'm kind of out of the loop on Persona things.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I had Metis in my party for the whole thing, so didn't have that particular problem.

Not having a compendium was a pain, but did force you to play a different way, which is a challenge I enjoyed. The bosses depended on a certain amount of luck to consistently hit, but I did't have too hard a time with it on the whole - partly I think because I wanted to get the personas to fuse Norn and by backtracking a little levelled a few times and tended to steamroller most mobs.

kewlmyc

Here's something that's new, though: March 11th release for P3M#2 from Aniplex USA.

Which means that you can buy it on Amazon.co.jp and save around $15 since Aniplex of America jacked up the price for no reason.

Collector's Edition is around $58 once shipping is calculated.
Standard Edition is around $46 once shipping is calculated.
Amazon Exclusive Edition (comes with a B2 sized fabric poster) is around $76 once shipping is calculated.

Shipping is only 3 or so days too. They ship globally.

Akihiko kind of saves some face towards the end of Persona Q.
Even Teddie's not bad right now.
Zen got awesome.
Nice to see someone thinking the same. That Human!Teddie's speech too.
Fuck Metis and her shit design, annoying voice, and for the game forcing her on you late (late) in a game that doesn't have shared experience. Unacceptably poor game design.
Ikr, why do she and Labrys have annoying voices? Dammit robots

FluxWaveZ

Which means that you can buy it on Amazon.co.jp and save around $15 since Aniplex of America jacked up the price for no reason.

Are Blu-ray movie discs region locked? Does the Japanese version have English subs? Something to consider is that the 48-page Deluxe Booklet English translation is Aniplex USA exclusive.

kewlmyc

Are Blu-ray movie discs region locked? Does the Japanese version have English subs? Something to consider is that the 48-page Deluxe Booklet English translation is Aniplex USA exclusive.

It's an import release. Aniplex of America is just getting the Japanese releases and releasing them in the US. They've been doing it for years with their releases (Madoka movies, Fate/Zero, Fate/Stay Night, Persona Movie 1). They're the exact same releases, box and all.

You're right about the English translation booklet being Aniplex of America exclusive, but everything else is the same.

America and Japan also share the same Bluray region, so the UK will miss out on this (they should be used to it).

The cdjapan link is wrong.

FluxWaveZ

The cdjapan link is wrong.

I see. Checking Play-Asia, it also says that the Japanese version of the first movie has English subtitles. Then, yeah, I knew about the Aniplex USA markups before now, but it seems one certainly would save money from importing the Japanese version if they could. Might cost a bit more for shipping if they'd want it quickly, though.

kewlmyc

I see. Checking Play-Asia, it also says that the Japanese version of the first movie has English subtitles. Then, yeah, I knew about the Aniplex USA markups before now, but it seems one certainly would save money from importing the Japanese version if they could. Might cost a bit more for shipping if they'd want it quickly, though.

Surprisingly, the shipping speed is about the same, unless you go with overnight shipping from Rightstuf which is pretty expensive. Shipping from Amazon.co.jp only took me 3 days when I bought a book from them recently, and the shipping cost was 1100 yen which translated to around $9 at the time. When I bought the first P3 movie from Rightstuff, the standard shipping took 5 days.

Plenty of Blurays are region free though. I imported Rebellion and that works fine on my UK PS3

True, it's up to the company. Just a disclaimer though, for anyone in the UK who wanted to buy it. But if Rebellion worked, then this should as well.

FluxWaveZ

Surprisingly, the shipping speed is about the same, unless you go with overnight shipping from Rightstuf which is pretty expensive. Shipping from Amazon.co.jp only took me 3 days when I bought a book from them recently, and the shipping cost was 1100 yen which translated to around $9 at the time. When I bought the first P3 movie from Rightstuff, the standard shipping took 5 days.p

You're right. I've imported plenty of stuff from Amazon Japan (most recently the P4AU art book), and I've always liked how fast and efficient it was. Might have to actually import the standard edition of P3M#2 from Amazon Japan now that I know there are probably subs, if it's possible (it would only be shipped within Japan for P4AU). I kinda wanted the CE, though, and I'd have to go with Aniplex USA if I went with that. Hm.

Sophia

Definitely going to consider importing it from Amazon Japan, subs or not. That's a pretty good price for the standard edition.

kewlmyc

Definitely going to consider importing it from Amazon Japan, subs or not. That's a pretty good price for the standard edition.

It's what I'm doing. Ends us costing me around $45, which isn't extremely terrible. Plus I don't really care for any of the stuff in the collector's edition.

Right Stuff seems horrible for international shipping just looking at their requirements, plus with that price I think I'll wait for confirmation on subs on the Japan import.

I've only looked through the stuff that came with the CE twice so while the booklet is nice it's not a necessity. I'm pretty sure that if I really wanted I could find it online. I may import it from Amazon Japan.

I assume that B2 poster is of a key visual, something we've seen already. Did the first movie have an Amazon exclusive like that?

Busaiku

The VAs usually aren't credited in Persona games, right?
I can't remember the Persona 4 Golden (2nd most recent Persona credits I saw) credits, but I'm pretty sure I didn't see any cast this morning when I beat Persona Q.

kewlmyc

The VAs usually aren't credited in Persona games, right?
I can't remember the Persona 4 Golden (2nd most recent Persona credits I saw) credits, but I'm pretty sure I didn't see any cast this morning when I beat Persona Q.

Dub cast? No they aren't.

PK Gaming

I was absolutely set on hating Metis myself. Her voice irked me, she was pretty abrasive, and her design didn't really click for me. My original plan was to leave her rotting while I ran with my P3 faves. But then, something changed. For reasons I can't quite explain, I started clinging the notion that she was a hardcore siscon. Suddenly, and all of her lines of dialogue took on a hilarious edge. I stopped taking her seriously. And then I used Neo Orgia for the first time and my jaw dropped. Also, I realized that her design was actually amazing.

So your criticisms are on point, and I definitely would have been on your side, but one little change of perspective was all it took to make me like Metis.

Did they ever make that manga for PQ?

Did anyone ever finish translating the P4 Manga?

I'm kind of out of the loop on Persona things.

Yep. In fact, there are 2 more are on the way.

Nope. It's still being translated, but the progress is extremely slow. They're still on volume two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom