• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
After a few weeks of playing Ys games I'm ready for more Persona, and by that I mean I'm skipping the answer and going straight to Persona 4

CorvoSol

I really like Golden's opening, but I 1) saw it before I ever saw the original's so I've got some bias there and 2) never played P4 vanilla so I don't have any attachment there.

But I like all the pretty colors and the dance moves and the song.

Sophia

I like the song. It's grown on me significantly.

The animation however is completely different tone wise, as Dantis said. It's very surreal and happy go lucky compared to the original opening. Don't really care for it.

Golden's opening seems like it was designed for people who've already played P4--like, it's "Happy times with your friends are back!" and does a poor job of actually selling what P4 actually is. Kind of what I feel a lot of post vanilla P4 stuff is like; it's more or less buying into what P4 memetically became after its release instead of what it actually was.

----

On another note, I wish I could have experienced the Jester S.Link during my first time through P4, because, it's good, but at the same time my experience is definitely colored by my own experience with the character so it kind of gives off a very different vibe than I think it is supposed to, but, oh well.

DNAbro

Golden's opening seems like it was designed for people who've already played P4--like, it's "Happy times with your friends are back!" and does a poor job of actually selling what P4 actually is. Kind of what I feel a lot of post vanilla P4 stuff is like; it's more or less buying into what P4 became memetically after its release instead of what it actually was.

----

On another note, I wish I could have experienced the Jester S.Link during my first time through P4, because, it's good, but at the same time my experience is definitely colored by my own experience with the character so it kind of gives off a very different vibe than I think it is supposed to, but, oh well.

P4G was my first time experiencing it and the jester S. Link didn't really make an impact on me. It was a little confusing why he was there and I didn't really care for the character so I just kind of ignored it.

Ok so i just defeated the
Old Doll FOE
for the Elizabeth request and I've got to say, that was difficult, but not "I've to grind in order to beat this thing" hard, but more like "I have to prey for this thing not to pull something from its ass and insta kill me" hard.

It took me like five to six tries just because the damn thing cast
Mamudoon and instantly killing my party in one shot, sometimes just letting someone live, but then it would cast it again and finish the job
it was seriously nervewrecking and
P3MC being weak to darkness didnt help. In the end a handful of Revival Beads and some Dark Pins balanced the fight, but even then the thing would keep on cursing me and when I had it at 25% hp it cast Diarahan...needless to say I was speechless, but I kept on fighting til it went down once and for all

The real MVP was Kanji, who I have equiped with White Rider and has Toxic Slice, Impure Reach and Guillotine, plus him having Bestial Roar which really helps. Poisoning big enemies is a blessing, because it takes a big chunk of hp each turn and the plus that Guillotine takes from the enemy helps a lot. Kanji is turning into one of my favorite party members for taking down FOEs and bosses. Obligatory image because of him

764689.png~320x480

Korigama

Golden's opening is so bad compared to the original.
Even with P4 being one of the "lighter" games, I agree with the assessment that P4G's opening is entirely too happy-go-lucky. A significant downgrade.

Also, having picked up P4AU a few days ago, I'm quite glad that the option to switch the IK theme back to Fog is there (I don't necessarily consider the new IK theme bad in and of itself, but it's also something that I don't believe fits).

wmlk

P4G's opening had higher production values, and was still zany and interesting in my opinion. Sure, it was changed into it being a friendship-centric opening but that's not a bad thing at all to me. It's not as if the game became shallow as a result of it.

A lot of people liked the main cast of P4 and the dynamic among them more than anything, and P4G sort of realized that. Some things end up succeeding more than originally intended post-mortem.

I think P4G's opening works better for people returning to the game than P4's opening for people playing the game the first time.

Meia

Old Doll FOE
for the Elizabeth request and I've got to say, that was difficult, but not "I've to grind in order to beat this thing" hard, but more like "I have to prey for this thing not to pull something from its ass and insta kill me" hard.

Mamudoon and instantly killing my party in one shot, sometimes just letting someone live, but then it would cast it again and finish the job
P3MC being weak to darkness didnt help. In the end a handful of Revival Beads and some Dark Pins balanced the fight, but even then the thing would keep on cursing me and when I had it at 25% hp it cast Diarahan...needless to say I was speechless, but I kept on fighting til it went down once and for all

The real MVP was Kanji, who I have equiped with White Rider and has Toxic Slice, Impure Reach and Guillotine, plus him having Bestial Roar which really helps. Poisoning big enemies is a blessing, because it takes a big chunk of hp each turn and the plus that Guillotine takes from the enemy helps a lot. Kanji is turning into one of my favorite party members for taking down FOEs and bosses. Obligatory image because of him

764689.png~320x480

I had similar except I didn't even get to a point where it used Diarahan. I gave Yukiko the Dark Wall skill card, and had everyone equipped with a Pin, only for it to still take out 2-3 members each time it casted Mamudoon(which is monstrous bullshit that even EO doesn't pull, btw). Before running away and saying screw it, I had Naoto use Mahamaon because I was angry, and it connected. :p

The first time I saw P4Gs intro was my first contact ever with P4 and it was after finishing P3.

So I was like "..."

"Why everyone is dancing? Is still the same franchise?" lol

I think I like the P4G intro as much as I like the P4 one. Just all the colors and them dancing makes me "Awww, they're really friends!". If they added Dojima, Nanako and Adachi to the dead body scenes it would've been better. The music is really catchy too.
See, to me, both instances look like Yukiko is simply stating a fact, whereas Yukari intentionally oftentimes goes out of her way to put down Junpei (without any actual malice, she likes to tease, I should add).

However, I feel like Yukiko's attitude in P4 skewed more towards an innocent, tone-deaf, matter-of-fact manner of speaking— whereas in PQ, she aligns more with Yukari's brusque style. It's like she's more self-aware and uses a rapid tonal shift to her advantage in order to shut Teddie/Junpei down. I like it.

Or maybe it's just me :V
The first time you take Kanji into the TV he's chowing down and wondering what he should order next and Yukiko's like "None of them." It might just be that Yukiko doesn't realize how cold she can be, but that only makes her delivery that much icier.
Oh I think I get what you're getting at. In the same scene of the Arena scene I posted Yukiko also says something like " I'm so glad I didn't battle you Chie, that would make me feel bad" (in Yosuke's route) so that's an example of Yukiko's innocence. In PQ I think she's also a bit of both, like her line in a stroll about Junpei
she saying"Ohh, I have a sewing set if you'd like" to shut up Junpei
reminds me of her line about putting a pillow in Hanako's face. But yeah, now that Yukiko is around Yukari she sure is harsher now haha.

CorvoSol

Oh I think I get what you're getting at. In the same scene of the Arena scene I posted Yukiko also says something like " I'm so glad I didn't battle you Chie, that would make me feel bad" (in Yosuke's route) so that's an example of Yukiko's innocence. In PQ I think she's also a bit of both, like her line in a stroll about Junpei
she saying"Ohh, I have a sewing set if you'd like" to shut up Junpei
reminds me of her line about putting a pillow in Hanako's face. But yeah, now that Yukiko is around Yukari she sure is harsher now haha.

Oh I just did the camp out last night. Yeah Yukiko's straight up blood thirsty in that one.

I liked Golden's opening. Not sure where I'd rank it though, I find things to like in all openings.
's where I'm at. I can't think of an opening I don't like in the series.
I dislike P3 FES' one because it sure was spoilery.
quickly before this gets deleted, a Persona Q More Milking has been announced!
(not)

comes with a statement on the state of P5 too lol
Oh yeah I saw about this in tumblr. Here's the cool cover:
tumblr_nh58t3GBui1si48w3o1_500.jpg

"Milking Persona 3&4. Oh yea next they are going to release Diner Bon Appetite featuring Yukiko's Inn making food. "
lol That's funny because for a time there was a PQ themed menu for a restaurant featuring all characters and stuff.

I dislike P3 FES' one because it sure was spoilery.

FES's was pretty lazy too, since it was all stuff taken from ingame.

quickly before this gets deleted, a Persona Q More Milking has been announced!
(not)

comes with a statement on the state of P5 too lol

Q is meaningless but will be necessary for playing P5? How does that work? and the P3 Protagonist is DLC in Untold 2 now? neat.

FES's was pretty lazy too, since it was all stuff taken from ingame.

Q is meaningless but will be necessary for playing P5? How does that work? and the P3 Protagonist is DLC in Untold 2 now? neat.

well tc is referring to the fact that the milking of p3p4 will continue into the story of p5, something like YOU MUST consume all p3p4 media to understand anything in p5 lol

this just shows how successful p4 is, maybe p3, when you have a cast that so many ppl like. so is it correct to say people just like happy things, joyous things, fanservicey things? people like this stuff, so this might be something p5's characters will look to imitate?

just some thoughts

Have you played at least a version of P3? I would say P3 is great but The Answer is questionable at best.

Yeah I finished up P3 Fes The Journey the week of Christmas, and took a 3 week break to marathon all the Ys games on steam. I had been debating on playing p4 ps2, playing p3p, replaying p3 fes for max social, or playing the answer. I ended up deciding I wanted to experience P4 more then I did any amount of replaying P3 and everything I've heard about the answer doesn't get me excited. In all honestly the ending of P3 FES The Journey was good enough where I don't think I needed more with that cast.

Soulflarz

Banned
Yeah I finished up P3 Fes The Journey the week of Christmas, and took a 3 week break to marathon all the Ys games on steam. I had been debating on playing p4 ps2, playing p3p, replaying p3 fes for max social, or playing the answer. I ended up deciding I wanted to experience P4 more then I did any amount of replaying P3 and everything I've heard about the answer doesn't get me excited. In all honestly the ending of P3 FES The Journey was good enough where I don't think I needed more with that cast.

Did you youtube the answer though?

MSMrRound

i don't take kindly to golden's opening vomiting colors at me

but that Vita OLED screen though! I loved how bright it was. I always try to play the full opening whenever I'm taking public transport.

I loved the archive that they had for the previous Persona openings/trailers and stuff as well. Hopefully a cutscene viewer/changeable outfits etc will be included for P5 as well.

The Answer had one of my favorite story moments from P3. The boss fights could be kind of fun in the sense of "Now what bullshit are they going to pull?" type of comedy.

P4G's opening had higher production values, and was still zany and interesting in my opinion. Sure, it was changed into it being a friendship-centric opening but that's not a bad thing at all to me. It's not as if the game became shallow as a result of it.

A lot of people liked the main cast of P4 and the dynamic among them more than anything, and P4G sort of realized that. Some things end up succeeding more than originally intended post-mortem.

I think P4G's opening works better for people returning to the game than P4's opening for people playing the game the first time.
I think it just comes down to that I'm not super big on pandering to fan expectations. Leads to nonsense like Adachi's cabbage association. The fanbase can do what it wants, but I feel the actual original source should keep its distance.

On your last point I feel that's kind of beside the point--a game's opening should give a good impression about what the game actually is, as it is, in part, selling the game ahead. Turning it into a fanservice video for repeat buyers feels like it's missing the point.

Old Doll FOE

764689.png~320x480

Those green bottle FOEs in the next one are worse. No weaknesses, tons of resists and hp, spams Sleep, and if you protect ya neck from that, you get My Hammer On juuuuuuuuust rarely enough to not be worth Light Walling it or what have you. It's an insidious fight to do unless the party is expressly built to take it.

Busaiku

Akihiko kind of saves some face towards the end of Persona Q.
Even Teddie's not bad right now.
Zen got awesome.

Wish they could've handled that better, rather than just shoving all the good characters for the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom