• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jinto

I sort of kinda think Ultimax's side P3 is the better side. I like the IT more than SEES, but Labrys is really great in side P3, to the point of sort of improving Sho's character. I think all the endings are pretty good, though, and I love Rise in side P4. Kinda like the interactions more in side P4 between the two casts, but Labrys is just really solid in side P3.

I'm almost finished episode P3, and I pretty much agree with everything you said. I haven't seen all the endings yet though. I'm pleasantly surprised at how different the stories are. I actually like Ken more than I thought I would on the P3 side.

I'm almost finished episode P3, and I pretty much agree with everything you said. I haven't seen all the endings yet though. I'm pleasantly surprised at how different the stories are. I actually like Ken more than I thought I would on the P3 side.

Really agree with you about Ken. He had my favourite arc of the P3 characters for sure (not counting Labrys as a P3 character). Not too mention his introduction scene was one of my favourite in the whole story mode.

DNAbro

The ending of his story was pretty great.

Considering that they seem to be avoiding giving the P3 MC a single canon name, and Q doesn't even have Yu as a preset, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't give him a canon name until they absolutely have to.

At most they might give a default like SMT IV does.

Regardless of what they do, I'm sure a "canon" fan name will emerge sooner or later.

I wouldn't really call him a blank slate charecter though. Even in the few clips we've seen of the P5 MC, you can get some idea of what sort of charecter he is.

I hope not, a canon name would pre-establish a set of expectations/assumptions about the MC. This is a brand new character -- why would you want that right out of the gate?

I don't put that much stock in name meanings. (I for one, am not a '
commanding figure
')
That and the MC is only going to be 'new' for so long.

In other words: "It is unavoidable. It is your destiny."

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
Considering that they seem to be avoiding giving the P3 MC a single canon name, and Q doesn't even have Yu as a preset, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't give him a canon name until they absolutely have to.

At most they might give a default like SMT IV does.

Regardless, I'm sure a "canon" fan name will emerge sooner or later.

Has to be better than Minato/Minako Arisato.

FluxWaveZ

I hope not, a canon name would pre-establish a set of expectations/assumptions about the MC. This is a brand new character -- why would you want that right out of the gate?

I do tend to like those expectations/assumptions, though. I don't really care about blank slates, and I thought Tatsuya, Maya and Aigis each operated really well as protagonists with set personalities/histories (even though the transition to silent protagonist was a massive downgrade for Maya because of how awesome she originally was). In terms of disposition and overall look, too, the characters kind of inform how they view/interact with the world. At least, that's how most took it for P3MC based on his demeanor and dialogue options (which, in turn, became his depicted personality in expanded fiction/cross-media work), that's how it was a bit for P4MC, and we can make a few assumptions on the P5MC compared to the others, just from his basic look in that trailer.

Soulflarz

Banned
I wanted to make a bad pun about Yu being You and the new one being called Mi or something stupid but I couldnt think of one.

Makio

(The new Avengers trailer was awesome).

Well to be fair Minato Arisato is a Better name than Makoto Yuuki ... and Narukami a better than Souji (forget the last name)...

Where the waifus and party member thats the shit i expecting for. Some artwork to see tumblr explodes with fan art XD

Korigama

Hm, I initially preferred Minato Arisato for P3's MC, but when they ultimately went with Makoto Yuki, I eventually grew to prefer that. This has much to do with the fact that they could just as easily say that it applies to both him and the female MC if they wanted, due to Makoto being a unisex name.

I wouldn't really call him a blank slate charecter though. Even in the few clips we've seen of the P5 MC, you can get some idea of what sort of charecter he is.

really?

you can tell what kind of character p5mc is just by the teaser trailer?

if ur "idea" is based on his physical appearance (clothes glasses hairstyle) then yea maybe???? a huge maybe though

FluxWaveZ

really?

you can tell what kind of character p5mc is just by the teaser trailer?

if ur "idea" is based on his physical appearance (clothes glasses hairstyle) then yea maybe???? a huge maybe though

Um, yes, really.

- His reaction to the bad news posts he looks at in the train: frustration, with furrowed brows clearly expressing it.
- He clearly looks meeker and more reserved than the P4MC based on his overall look and expressions. Something that would clearly be represented by his implied personality, especially when we've got Hashino talking about how much he struggled coming up with the P5MC's proper emotional evolution throughout the game.

Makio

rif ur "idea" is based on his physical appearance (clothes glasses hairstyle) then yea maybe???? a huge maybe though

This basically for me looks like a nerdy , shy and smart ass boy. He has problems to relate with others and maybe some "depressive shit" going on. And even a dude who likes to be in internet and stuff.

That the first impression i take from him, that why i love the last shot in the trailer.They looks nothing like that more like , a demon asskicker who is not the first time he is fighting a supernatural "dudes".

0.jpg

I went with Kotone (If you're interested.)

Haha i went with Haruka Tenou (from Sailor Moon) in my first time playing p3p

Um, yes, really.

- His reaction to the bad news posts he looks at in the train: frustration, with furrowed brows clearly expressing it.
- He clearly looks meeker and more reserved than the P4MC based on his overall look and expressions. Something that would clearly be represented by his implied personality, especially when we've got Hashino talking about how much he struggled coming up with the P5MC's proper emotional evolution throughout the game.

i see what you're saying now but i still don't think thats much to go on at all regarding p5mc's personality. i also see how your point that p5mc seems meeker and more reserved than p4mc, but how does he compare to p3mc? more bold? less meek? =/

going back to the point that he's a blank slate character, theres not much of a set personality to speak of anyway. i feel like only the anime has really given p3mc and p4mc some kind of real personality and thus people think of them that way

i see what you're saying now but i still don't think thats much to go on at all regarding p5mc's personality. i also see how your point that p5mc seems meeker and more reserved than p4mc, but how does he compare to p3mc? more bold? less meek? =/

going back to the point that he's a blank slate character, theres not much of a set personality to speak of anyway. i feel like only the anime has really given p3mc and p4mc some kind of real personality and thus people think of them that way

The P3 MC comes across as rather cold and uninterested, whereas I see the P5 MC as more awkward and quiet.

I do agree that the movies and anime have more strongly established the P3 and 4 protag's personalities though. I never saw Yu as the way he's portrayed in parts of the Golden animation in game.

Nap1400

P5MC looks to me like the kind of person who gets depressed a lot. Sees all the social pressures going on in the world and just sighs at all of it.

Makio

I love the personality of Makoto (P3 MC) in the movies , almost the way i see him always.
Distant , and indiferent about everything ...

But he is growing in the movies i think , a kind of evolution. The final scene of the first movie shows some kind of "emotion" growing in him.

FluxWaveZ

P5MC looks to me like the kind of person who gets depressed a lot. Sees all the social pressures going on in the world and just sighs at all of it.

See, that's not really what I got from watching that trailer. Right after all three of the moments he faces an object of conflict during that video, his eyes show determination and conviction to face them head on, not melancholy.

Nap1400

See, that's not really what I got from watching that trailer. Right after all three of the moments he faces an object of conflict during that video, his eyes show determination and conviction to face them head on, not melancholy.

Well, I mean prior to that point. I felt like seeing something that he could potentially change is what drove him to his determination, but before then he felt like there was nothing he could do and just had to move on.

FluxWaveZ

Well, I mean prior to that point. I felt like seeing something that he could potentially change is what drove him to his determination, but before then he felt like there was nothing he could do and just had to move on.

I meant all three separate points—starting right at the moment he's introduced—not just at the end (moment 1, moment 2, moment 3). His response to every single point of opposition isn't "flight", but "fight."

Makio

I love to see the evolution from the depressed glasses-kun to the determined "come to me bro" from the end of the trailer.

Makes me wonder , how soon " the man in blue flames" appears in the game, is the first awakening scene and the blue monster some kind of generic shadow.

Or he is something more important , some kind of antagonist.

Mobile Suit Gooch

I love to see the evolution from the depressed glasses-kun to the determined "come to me bro" from the end of the trailer.

Makes me wonder , how soon " the man in blue flames" appears in the game, is the first awakening scene and the blue monster some kind of generic shadow.

Or he is something more important , some kind of antagonist.

Maybe?

Mobile Suit Gooch

What about the P5MC says "introvert" to you? I got the vibe of quiet and serious, but nothing screamed "introvert" to me.

Maybe "introvert" was the wrong word then..

Crazy guess but the first time i see the trailer i felt he likes likes
Adachi shadow or Strega
kind of antagonist , not the real deal but some kind of "Sub-boss".

But like i said, crazy feel about that.

Or what you said earlier, an awakening.

Does Persona 4 have the same damage penalty system where if you're under leveled you do much less damage to enemies then if you are at level or above their level like P3? My level 14 party on normal seems to be doing very small amounts of damage to her for how much hp she has.

Makio

Another thing i feel seeing the trailer , i think this time the MC is a local resident of the city , no the new kid in the town.

They goes with the "introvert" side and shit , because in the past he is bad making "friends" and some kind of relationship.

But after the "awakening" he gains confidence and make him , available to make new relationships aka Social Links.

Of something like Vincent in Catherine where everybody knows him , but the player begins to meet the other characters. (Friends , girls , bar clients).

jzbluz

Just because we get a canon name doesn't mean that we can't shape the personality of the MC. Heck, in P2 I made Tatsuya het in one playthrough and gay in another.

I was absolutely set on hating Metis myself. Her voice irked me, she was pretty abrasive, and her design didn't really click for me. My original plan was to leave her rotting while I ran with my P3 faves. But then, something changed. For reasons I can't quite explain, I started clinging the notion that she was a hardcore siscon. Suddenly, and all of her lines of dialogue took on a hilarious edge. I stopped taking her seriously. And then I used Neo Orgia for the first time and my jaw dropped. Also, I realized that her design was actually amazing.

So your criticisms are on point, and I definitely would have been on your side, but one little change of perspective was all it took to make me like Metis.
I think the only picture of Metis I actually liked was this one, because it emphasizes her contrast with Aigis. Outside of that, nah.

Anyone ever spontaneously hope P5MC has a canon name on release?
Nope. I hope to see an online functionality like Golden that allows you to see other players' names as well so I can see people's idiosyncratic names instead of seeing how unimaginative and boring everyone is in Golden.

And a big lol at the concept of discerning a genuine characterization of a silent protagonist in a brief trailer who doesn't do anything. Here's my interpretation--he wears glasses and doesn't talk much. His "actions" in the opening are roughly equivalent to P3 and P4's protagonist in the beginning cinemas--he's not doing or reacting to much of anything.

Makio

I already have a name for the P5 MC , after a quick research in wikipedia (lol).

Ryūsei Fujita ... (if you only put 6 letters in each name like Q). or Hiromi Kishida (if you can go like p3 or p4 name system).

Hiromi-kun or Ryūsei-kun sounds fine to me

Hopefully any name or last name no landed in a characther of the game , or think about another better in the meantime.

DNAbro

Just because we get a canon name doesn't mean that we can't shape the personality of the MC. Heck, in P2 I made Tatsuya het in one playthrough and gay in another.

I played Yu as gay the first time through. I feel like we push our own ideas and identities into the MC, regardless of how they look.

Another thing i feel seeing the trailer , i think this time the MC is a local resident of the city , no the new kid in the town.

That was something I got from it too, the train gave off the feeling of it being a commute rather than moving in. I could see it being the first day of a new school, but he's at least local to that area.

I played Yu as gay the first time through. I feel like we push our own ideas and identities into the MC, regardless of how they look.

Pretty much. A silent protagonist is always going to have plenty of leeway as to how they are seen. That was one thing that slightly annoyed me in P4, some of the dialogue options didn't allow me to follow through with how I wanted to play the protagonist, although I realise that it's unrealistic to allow for every possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom