• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FluxWaveZ

Let me ask you guys something, though I feel like I know the response I'm going to get from this particular thread:
Story and characters are the two key components of an RPG.
Do you agree with this sentiment?

Let me ask you guys something, though I feel like I know the response I'm going to get from this particular thread:

If it is not, it is along with gameplay as another key component.

But overall I prefer story and characters over gameplay on RPGs.

Meia

I agree, and will also throw in the characters are, by far, the most important element. You can have a great story, but if you don't give a shit about anything that happens to the cast in the story, I find little reason to play it. On the other hand, if there's a so-so story, but the cast of characters is just flat out enjoyable to see interact with the world around them, it can carry me through a mediocre game.

Disagree, but RPG is such a vague genre and can include so many different types of games.
Some RPGs, like Persona, Final Fantasy, Trails, ect are generally worth playing for the story and characters, whilst not having the strongest mechanics in the genre.
Others like SMT IV and Nocturne's strengths lie in the world building and atmosphere rather than the characters and plot, which works just as well.
Then you have games like Ys or Etrian Odyssey, where I don't care at all about the plot, but it doesn't need it because the gameplay is the focus and that's all that they need. They get by fine without a good story.

Basically, a good story can make up for not having the best mechanics, and if you have good mechanics then you don't need a good story. Of course, there are plenty of games that do both well too.

FluxWaveZ

I see. It depends on the type of RPG, certainly, but I'm also in agreement with Ganzlinger and Meia with the sentiment that story and, especially, characters are the key aspects of an RPG for me, and they ultimately determine my enjoyment of one.

I asked this, by the way, because the sentiment was expressed by P Studio themselves:
To satisfy the consumers, we spent the majority of our resources on increasing the volume of features that the players liked, improving the game systems, and working on the story and characters (the two key components of an RPG).

Disagree. Those things are very important, obviously, but if they were by far the most important more people would have played P1 & P2.

Plus, I agree with CrimsonFist's post.

CorvoSol

Nah. Customization and Combat are the two key characteristics of an RPG for me. Games like D&D onward you make up your own character, but customization is vital. Like, collecting armor, raising stats, learning abilities that sort of thing. Combat is where my customization comes into play. It's where my set ups and strategies count, so to speak.

If those are engaging, I can have a cast of 4 nameless onion kids and a story about restoring light to bobliums and I'll do just fine.

As to the two qualities listed, I'd say characters matter more than story to me. I can deal with kind of empty plots, but bad characters make life miserable no matter how interesting the story is.

There's this monastery in the Himalayas you should check out.

because i don't want this to be another
p3p scenario when i got to the final fight and then heard about that depressing ending.

but things should be ok this time round, since p studios know only alive characters and happy endings sell games and merchandise and spinoffs :) :) :) :)

the director did say himself he wants players to feel elated and enjoy the game (sounds happy to be)

Disagree, but RPG is such a vague genre and can include so many different types of games.
Some RPGs, like Persona, Final Fantasy, Trails, ect are generally worth playing for the story and characters, whilst not having the strongest mechanics in the genre.
Others like SMT IV and Nocturne's strengths lie in the world building and atmosphere rather than the characters and plot, which works just as well.
Then you have games like Ys or Etrian Odyssey, where I don't care at all about the plot, but it doesn't need it because the gameplay is the focus and that's all that they need. They get by fine without a good story.

Basically, a good story can make up for not having the best mechanics, and if you have good mechanics then you don't need a good story. Of course, there are plenty of games that do both well too.

This

A more interesting question would be which do you prefer? A stronger story with weaker mechanics or a weak story with stronger mechanics? Personally I'm more likely to keep playing a game with a great story then one that has really good gameplay but a boring or bad plot.

Jawmuncher

Going through the story mode on P4A before I get to Ultimax.
Man I really wish they would have done a better job on this. The beginning and the end of each character's story is really the only worthwhile content. Aside from some fun interactions between the characters. I have yet to get anything worthwhile reading the none dialog box text after I finished the main stories and pieced everything together. Really just feels like a longer arcade mode whenever they're in the arena setting.

Oh well I heard that Ultimax does a way better job with the story and the way i'm going at it now. Doesn't take me longer than 30 minutes for 1 character if that.

Going through the story mode on P4A before I get to Ultimax.
Man I really wish they would have done a better job on this. The beginning and the end of each character's story is really the only worthwhile content. Aside from some fun interactions between the characters. I have yet to get anything worthwhile reading the none dialog box text after I finished the main stories and pieced everything together. Really just feels like a longer arcade mode whenever they're in the arena setting.

Oh well I heard that Ultimax does a way better job with the story and the way i'm going at it now. Doesn't take me longer than 30 minutes for 1 character if that.

Nope. You have to play through all the characters' parts to get to the end of each side's story.
P4U:
And you have to do the last part of each story twice to get the true path. Once for each of the dialog options before the final boss.

EDIT: To be more specific. Each character makes up smaller parts of each side's story.

Jawmuncher

Nope. You have to play through all the characters' parts to get to the end of each side's story.
P4U:
And you have to do the last part of each story twice to get the true path. Once for each of the dialog options before the final boss.
Wait so Ultimax does the repeat stuff as well.
wth.

Jawmuncher

No. "P4U" is the Japanese abbreviation for "P4A." People keep mixing them up all over the place, but the abbreviations for Ultimax are "P4AU" and "P4U2", nothing else.

P4U:

Ahhh ok makes sense now after this and reading a guide on how to unlock endings.

FluxWaveZ

That's what I meant. I was referring to Ultimax and only Ultimax.

Oh, then I still don't understand why people use "P4U." Atlus never used that, and it just confuses everything.

I don't know what you're talking about concerning dialog options, then. I went through the game in Japanese, not understanding text, only going Episode P4 > Episode P3 > True Ending without having to repeat anything.

Ahhh ok makes sense now after this and reading a guide on how to unlock endings.

Ultimax has a much better layout than P4A's story mode, you heard correctly. It's all straightforward and linear as opposed to the mess it was in the first game, which makes it a better experience.

...Are you sure about that?
I only had to do each ending once.

I think you just have to pick the correct option, but it has to have been the option you picked the last time you went through that scene. I had to go through that scene three times to get it to work. And you can quit at the boss point and it will still count.

I don't know what you're talking about concerning dialog options, then. I went through the game in Japanese, not understanding text, only going Episode P4 > Episode P3 > True Ending without having to repeat anything.

The option before you fight the boss. You have to pick the pro bonds option on both routes to unlock the true ending. It's obvious which is correct, but if like me you replayed it and picked the other option in order to get 100%, that will overwrite the fact that you picked the correct one the first time, at least that was how it seemed to work for me.

...Are you sure about that?
I only had to do each ending once.

Oh, then I still don't understand why people use "P4U." Atlus never used that, and it just confuses everything.

Really? Curious.
I was confused when the True ending didn't unlock for me, then I tried both the 'bond' and 'solitude' options for each path, and it was unlocked. I remember picking different choices for each path, so did I just choose the wrong one for each?

FluxWaveZ

Oh, I see. It was a simple binary choice determining the path to the true ending, that had to be chosen in sequence between routes. Persona's had some more egregious ways to access true endings in the past than that, for sure.

CorvoSol

I don't have 100% in either story mode and I unlocked the True Ending of Ultimax before ever picking the second option in either story mode.

Wait, there is only one true ending in P4AU, right?
The one which Narukami fights Sho with blue scar after defeating Kagutsuchi, right? I finished P4 story mode then went to finish P3 and chose the line of bonds with Labrys thus unlocking the "true ending". But I wasn't sure If I missed something because both paths are at 99% and I was wondering if P3 path would have a true ending as well.

CorvoSol

Wait, there is only one true ending in P4AU, right?
The one which Narukami fights Sho with blue scar after defeating Kagutsuchi, right? I finished P4 story mode then went to finish P3 and chose the line of bonds with Labrys thus unlocking the "true ending". But I wasn't sure If I missed something because both paths are at 99% and I was wondering if P3 path would have a true ending as well.

s'where I'm at, too.

FluxWaveZ

Nice spoilers. Not to mention how reductively crappy that is.

And a final boss without different phases? Right, that'd be a good thing apparently... for some reason?

CorvoSol

I'll be pretty disappointed if we don't get a multi form final boss.

I can't think of any Persona game that hasn't had a multiform final boss. But I admit that all I remember about Persona 1's final boss is screaming and throwing my PSP across the universe whenever I read the words "Butterfly Storm".

Also P3 and P4 are the only Persona games where the protag is a transfer student. I dunno.

EDIT:

Also, is it Friendship Ex Machina when the game spends the entire game explaining and building to that? I feel like P3 and P4's "Friendship Ex Machina" moments were sort of explained to no end in their games.

Believe it or not the two games have Social Links too. And a calendar system. And Personas.

Who knows how deep this rabbit hole goes?

EDIT: Unmarked Persona spoilers are technically against the rules in this topic, just sayin'. It's right there in the first post. Remove it or link it or something.

CorvoSol

Innocent Sin?

Was that only a one form boss? I guess I just forgot because it's multi-part and because Xibalba takes for fucking ever when you're getting attacked every goddamn step.

I'm guessing
The Answer
doesn't count?

i haven't played that, so i just kinda forgot all about it.

come to think on it, I could be way off base, since I don't even know if Eternal Punishment's final boss was multi phase.

Was that only a one form boss? I guess I just forgot because it's multi-part and because Xibalba takes for fucking ever when you're getting attacked every goddamn step.

i haven't played that, so i just kinda forgot all about it.

come to think on it, I could be way off base, since I don't even know if Eternal Punishment's final boss was multi phase.

Pretty sure it is. Found that out when browsing for the final boss music.

Yeah. Eternal Punishment's is multi-form.

Zebetite

Banned

Calling them the "key components" is a bit strong. Like, if I was in charge of the Video Game Dictionary, I'm doubtful that I would define RPGs by their approach towards characters and story.

But, for whatever reason, its turned out that RPGs often have strong characters and stories. The way the games are built isn't very conducive to an eight-to-twelve-hour game, and they often take much longer to fully roll out their systems and mechanics and give them room to breathe. Which means a lot more story content, which (usually) means a lot more character development. Since it falls on the story and characters to carry the length of the game, it becomes a key component in an RPG's relative value, but not a key component to its RPG-ness.

Thus, when I think of my favorite RPGs, I often turn to ones with strong stories or characters. There are other things that I like from my RPGs too, though. On a narrative front, I find Sense of Place to be very important in an RPG. The world needs to be interesting and feel lived-in. Strong game mechanics are also always nice. I'd like to be engaging with it as a video game on a level beyond "hammer the attack command as fast as the menus will allow" whenever possible, and the more neat out-of-combat stuff I get to do, the better. On the Japanese side of things in particular, my opinion on a JRPG also has some sort of relationship with its soundtrack. Is it Hot Jamz or Lame Tuneless Garbage?

Incidentally, the Persona games have strong narratives backed by strong characters with cool game mechanics both in-and-out of combat, are set in a cool universe and frequently have nice, cozy non-dungeon environments that are engaging to run around in thanks to a soundtrack comprised exclusively of Hot Jamz. So those games are pretty cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom