• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So they announced a new Fire Emblem and showed it before we've seen anything of SMT x FE. Is it like dead now?

tumblr_ni6b33RFPG1t46pjso1_1280.png

Sophia

That's not really a defense at all. It just shows a lack of consideration for people who have not yet beat these games.

EDIT: Nevermind, ya beat me to it.

Personally, I consider it one of the worst things you can do. It's one thing if it's by total accident to post spoilers (everyone has done this at least once), but doing it intentionally means you really just don't care.

Let me ask you guys something, though I feel like I know the response I'm going to get from this particular thread:

Do you agree with this sentiment?

I don't know if I'd consider them key components. There are many RPGs out there that don't emphasize on their stories or characters, and yet are still among some of the best RPGs ever created. Phantasy Star Online, Demon's/Dark Souls, the Etrian Odyssey games, Wizardy to a degree, etc. They all put a much bigger emphasis on gameplay and personal adventure, with storytelling and characters kept to a minimum.

Sophia

While I agree that these have great gameplay. It's actually the story that keeps me interested in these games. Especially Darksouls. The lore is fascinating.

Those games deserve special mention, as their minimalist approach actually incorporates the story into the gameplay. Phantasy Star Online has you exploring an unknown planet, following in the footsteps of others who explored it earlier. There's very little dialogue, yet you learn quite a bit simply from the environments and surroundings. Boss battles are hinted at by the changes in environments. Plot details are implied through stuff you find as you go.
Early on in PSO, you go to a destroyed city area. Hints and clues from the hunters who were there first are all over the place. You then basically walk in on the Dragon that destroyed it, hidden within a cave.
Same thing with Demon's Souls. You spend the entire game wandering around the Kingdom of Boletaria, and you basically stumble your way from one plot point to the next. What happened to it, how it got to be that way, where the fog came from...

Essentially, where as most Japanese RPGs (including Persona) use their story to carry the gameplay, these games use their gameplay to carry their story. Incorporating it directly. It's certainly an interesting approach. It's also one we've seen a little bit in the mainline SMT games, such as Nocturne.

Sophia

How separate is it, though? Like, can you save between them? Does a ton of stuff go on in between?

Why can't I remember the final battles of Innocent Sin at all?

For Innocent Sin It's
Hitler
> Cutscene >
Great Father
> Ending. Both fights have their own unique theme, and both fights
are technically Nyarlathotep anyhow
so yeah, I'd consider them part of the same battle.

For Eternal Punishment it's a two part battle:
Nyarlathotep the Moon Howler, and then Nyarlathotep the Crawling Chaos

For Persona 1 the final boss of the SEBEC route is a two part fight. However the final boss of the Snow Queen route is not.

Persona Q has a multi part final boss fight. Won't say any more for spoiler reasons.

And lastly, the final boss of The Answer in Persona 3 FES is a single fight.

FluxWaveZ

Not only is 2016 the year of the Persona series' 20th anniversary, but it's also the year of Atlus' 30th anniversary since they were founded. Pretty cool.

CorvoSol

For Innocent Sin It's
Hitler
> Cutscene >
Great Father
> Ending. Both fights have their own unique theme, and both fights
are technically Nyarlathotep anyhow
so yeah, I'd consider them part of the same battle.

For Eternal Punishment it's a two part battle:
Nyarlathotep the Moon Howler, and then Nyarlathotep the Crawling Chaos

For Persona 1 the final boss of the SEBEC route is a two part fight. However the final boss of the Snow Queen route is not.

Persona Q has a multi part final boss fight. Won't say any more for spoiler reasons.

And lastly, the final boss of The Answer in Persona 3 FES is a single fight.

So then, technically, isn't The Answer the only Persona game with a single-phase final battle? I mean, -technically- Ultimax's final boss is only 1 form, but since
you fight Sho several times in that same sequence, it's more or less the same thing.

CorvoSol

I think that if an untranslated game is our hope that the vanished SMTxFE is still going strong we are in some desperate need of a more concrete source of hope

SMTxFE has actually been stuck in the planning phase and half of the developers died wracking their brains trying to figure out how to make the gameplay work.

Weiss

Banned
I don't think they'll delay Persona 5 to 2016, but if it's Atlus' 30th anniversary, we might get SMT5.

Alternatively SMT5 could come out in 2017, since that's the 30th anniversary of the MegaTen series.

FluxWaveZ

Now you're getting it! We haven't heard anything substantial about P5 since it was announced more than a year ago except for a change in platforms and a delay, we've still got a Persona game other than Persona 5 slated for a release this year without a specific date that also got delayed and had apparent development troubles, next year is Persona's 20th anniversary, next year is Atlus' actual 30th anniversary, and now we've got a trend that checks out between a decade. It's all coming together; The PSL 2015 countdown is to the official winter 2015 release date of January-March 2016.

P4U2 arcade website updated with a new header image alongside today's/tomorrow's launch of the 2.00 update. (Persona 4 spoilers)

Xenoflare

Now you're getting it! We haven't heard anything substantial about P5 since it was announced more than a year ago except for a change in platforms and a delay, we've still got a Persona game other than Persona 5 slated for a release this year without a specific date that also got delayed and had apparent development troubles, next year is Persona's 20th anniversary, next year is Atlus' actual 30th anniversary, and now we've got a trend that checks out between a decade. It's all coming together; The PSL 2015 countdown is to the official winter 2015 release date of January-March 2016.

P4U2 arcade website updated with a new header image alongside today's/tomorrow's launch of the 2.00 update. (Persona 4 spoilers)

I'm twiddling my fingers wating for the console release of this patch. Is it realistic to expect that? Did BBCP console receive it's 2.0 upgrade?

FluxWaveZ

flux no

noooooooo

I also forgot to mention that the other Persona game that got delayed and that we also pretty much have no information on was explicitly stated to now be focused on by the same development team heading Persona 5. Nothing new referring to a 2015 release for P5 was officially mentioned by the Japanese side of Atlus after the P4D delay was officially announced.

You know it to be true.

I'm twiddling my fingers wating for the console release of this patch. Is it realistic to expect that? Did BBCP console receive it's 2.0 upgrade?

There's BBCP Extend coming out for PS3, PS4 and Xbox One later this year, which is pretty much a console port of 2.0. It had new characters to justify it, though. 2.0 for P4AU will most likely make it to consoles, but its status as such is a bit nebulous right now.

Weiss

Banned
Don't even put that in my head, man. I can't last another year without Persona 5. 2014 was nearly the death of me.

I need more Jungian fueled high school antics.

Weiss

Banned
With the lack of news about Persona 5, I bet winter 2015/16 as well.

We're getting news in 3 weeks. There's no way they won't reveal a release date after so much build up, and that the Sony event a while back, it was confirmed P5 would be hitting NA in 2015.

It's happening.

Lunar15

I've been saying 2016 for at least the US for a long time now, so I certainly wouldn't be surprised if Flux is on the money.

FluxWaveZ

To be clear, I'm personally being insincere with all of the above. I believe Persona 5 will be a 2015 game in both Japan and North America, with no catches. It's not like anything I stated was wrong, though... so it's kind of disconcerting when a relatively cogent argument could be made for P5 nearly missing 2015 altogether. I still have the hope that it will all be elucidated, for the better, on February 5th.

I also forgot to mention that the other Persona game that got delayed and that we also pretty much have no information on was explicitly stated to now be focused on by the same development team heading Persona 5. Nothing new referring to a 2015 release for P5 was officially mentioned by the Japanese side of Atlus after the P4D delay was officially announced.

The bolded part is my greatest concern right now. A delay of P5 to 2016 would be pretty bad for a ton of reasons, but the thought that a dancing spin-off game was a significant part of the reason why?

ormVOnl.jpg

I still think DAN sounds like a ton of fun though.

We all now the real reason P4D got delayed is because they're switching it to 3DS instead of Vita. Can you imagine the step?
well you better because this resolution is lowww

Special shout out to Fire Emblem If... for causing equal amounts of joy and heartbreak today. SMTxFE is one announcement they really should've held back until it was substantial enough to show off. What a silly and uncharacteristic mistake from Nintendo. I can't remember the last time Nintendo announced a game (with nothing to show for it) and then went completely dark on it.

Atlus on the other hand... :p

MSMrRound

I can't remember the last time Nintendo announced a game (with nothing to show for it) and then went completely dark on it.

Atlus on the other hand... :p

Devil Survivor 2: Break Record had SMTxFE status for a while e.g AtlusUSA's 2014 new year greeting before it was revived at last year Tokyo Game Show. Maybe we might see more of it come E3 and what's not? At least it's not on The Last Guardian/FFXV status just yet

Devil Survivor 2: Break Record had SMTxFE status for a while e.g AtlusUSA's 2014 new year greeting before it was revived at last year Tokyo Game Show. Maybe we might see more of it come E3 and what's not? At least it's not on The Last Guardian/FFXV status just yet

Wonder how long we'll be waiting to see Etrian V, feels like something that's a long way off.

I almost wouldn't be surprised if Dancing gets a similar treatment to Break Record and disappears for a while, if it wasn't for the Persora track at least.

On SMT x FE, has there been any confirmation as to who is actually developing it? I keep seeing people say that it's Atlus, but I don't recall that being confirmed anywhere, I was assuming IS, since they're the only ones to have talked about it.

To be clear, I'm personally being insincere with all of the above. I believe Persona 5 will be a 2015 game in both Japan and North America, with no catches. It's not like anything I stated was wrong, though... so it's kind of disconcerting when a relatively cogent argument could be made for P5 nearly missing 2015 altogether. I still have the hope that it will all be elucidated, for the better, on February 5th.

I'd say the thing that makes me most confident about a 2015 release is Sony coming out on PSX and confirming a 2015 NA release. They must surely know the Japanese release date to do such a thing right?

arue

Let's see, DeSu2: RB was announced on March 2013. It was delayed and no news of it was heard until September 2014, when the release date was finally announced. The game is coming in January 2015, 4 months after the release date announcement and 22 months after the first announcement.

Meanwhile, Persona 5 was announced on November 2013. It was delayed from Winter 2014 to 2015. Release date is still unknown besides 2015. Let's assume that it will be revealed on February 2015. If we follow DeSu2: RB's pattern, the release date of P5 would be between June-September 2015 because 4 months from the release date announcement, February, is June and 22 months from the announcement of the game would be September 2015.

I know I can't use a game's announcement pattern as a measure for another game's, but I'm bored and really can't wait for February 5th. February please come faster!

FluxWaveZ

I'd say the thing that makes me most confident about a 2015 release is Sony coming out on PSX and confirming a 2015 NA release. They must surely know the Japanese release date to do such a thing right?

Aha, but you're wrong! Sony didn't confirm that at all.
Adam Boyes: said:
I'm happy to announce that Persona 5 will also be exclusively released for PS3 and PS4 in North America, following the Japanese release.

At the time, we all wondered why the wording was so vague. Why would Sony themselves not shout "2015" at the top of their lungs, bolding it and underlining it in order to tout a Sony exclusive that would be making it to their platforms the next year? They did so for the other games, after all. "Following the Japanese release"? Heh...

Haha... Wonder why, huh.

arue

At the time, we all wondered why the wording was so vague. Why would Sony themselves not shout "2015" at the top of their lungs, bolding it and underlining it in order to tout a Sony exclusive that would be making it to their platforms the next year? They did so for the other games, after all. "Following the Japanese release"? Heh...

Haha... Wonder why, huh.
I can see P5 getting a holiday release or even early 2016 release in NA because of this vague announcement. It would be slightly disappointing though. I also can see some people importing the game because of it.

Q. Do you think everyone will evacuate this thread when Persona 5 gets released in Japan? How will you guys hide from spoilers?

Evacuate might be too strong a word, especially since there were practically no spoilers for PQ between the JP and NA launches, but I'll try to reduce how often I check the thread. Still, I doubt I could go from the JP launch all the way to the NA launch on a total Persona blackout.

I do plan to build my backlog of games and anime though, and then work through a lot of it then.

Haha... Wonder why, huh.

Okay now I'm worried.

Q. Do you think everyone will evacuate this thread when Persona 5 gets released in Japan? How will you guys hide from spoilers?

Is anyone here going to read the spoilers before playing.....if not then this thread can be a safe heaven.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom