• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawg

Ooooohhh, this is going to be interesting!

I love seeing people's first runs through games.

Make sure to keep posting thoughts and impressions!

Will do!

It's different from the RPGs I'm used to. I really like the atmosphere and the concept of strengthening bonds with friends. Also, the music is superb so far!

Makio

The 2013 concert took place at the Nippon Budokan. The upcoming Persona Super Live will be the second time they play there.

Right , thats why the 2013 concert looks bigger than the others. Good to know thanks for the answer.

unless a straight up trailer with that music was shown at PSL2015 before it was played.

My vote was that there wouldn't be any significant P5 info before February 5th, but now I have to wonder.

Now you make me wonder too.

wmlk

My vote was that there wouldn't be any significant P5 info before February 5th, but now I have to wonder.

Marketing 101 would be to give a lengthy tease right before the concert to prop up interest and having the concert, and then releasing whatever content they show in the concert afterwards.

Meia

All right! Thanks for the advice! :D

To add an addendum to this great advice, the reason you have to strive to keep the MC's personas current is because it takes a lot more experience to level them than the main character themselves or your party members' personas. It's easy to want to stick with one persona until you learn everything it has to offer, but usually doing so means that that persona will start lagging behind in level. In a current dungeon it's not too bad, but it can be a never ending road of using underleveled personas just to get those last few abilities.

Yes, the last abilities Personas learn are usually their strongest, and usually ones you *really* want to carry over to new ones, but the time investment in fighting is usually never worth it. That's where social links come in to begin with. By fusing a persona of an arcana that you already have a high social link rank with, you can find that persona gaining 5-6 levels the second you make them, making it easier to attain those last skills a persona gets.

It's also why the first dungeon tends to be hardest, as you haven't really started social linking at all at this point, and the number of personas from the arcana you even have access to at that level is low.

Sophia

I keep hearing this. I stopped after the P4 route because I just wasn't feeling it. The epilogue was nice. Wish Yu got one, but he's the character insert so I understand why they want everything about him to not be set in stone.

The P3 route is honestly way better for two real reasons: Firstly, Labrys is just far better of a protagonist than Yu ever could be. Arena/Ultimax are basically her story. How she comes to term with being a robot, and obtains a heart. And she's amazingly well written in both games. You can see her progression throughout the entire story (it was noted that her Japanese VA was basically voicing four characters at once, counting her shadow) and it has a proper payoff at the end.

The second reason is because the P3 cast have far more for the writing team to work with. I've said before that Persona 4 is a very self-contained game, especially compared to other installments in the same franchise. I'll avoid repeating myself on this, partially because I'm tired, and I want to avoid spoiler tags. While this isn't a bad thing at all on it's own, it actually probably makes it the poorest entry for a cross-over or sequel. Unfortunately, it's the one with all the recent popularity, so they rode with it.

Now you make me wonder too.

I dunno about you two, but I always expected something before/around the concert. The venue isn't a great place to show off gameplay related stuff or exceptionally long trailers.

FluxWaveZ

That's what I'm thinking, like in 2013 where they showed the trailer of the movie and then performed "more than one heart". Though this time they'd obviously make a much bigger deal out of it.

I guess it's what you might be implying, but both of these situations aren't really comparable because, as far as I'm aware, no new P3M trailer was shown at Persona Music FES 2013, while a completely new Persona 5 trailer revealed at a concert would be on a whole other stratosphere.

I dunno about you two, but I always expected something before/around the concert. The venue isn't a great place to show off gameplay related stuff or exceptionally long trailers.

Nah, like I said, my initial vote was that no unveil would occur before February 5th, and that's still what I believe. I'm starting to wonder the opposite just a bit more because of the info I gathered for past music concerts, and because of the upcoming Dengeki PlayStation vol. 583, but I still don't think they'd have a huge countdown and then actually just have a reveal that took place before it was done.

Makio

The venue isn't a great place to show off gameplay related stuff or exceptionally long trailers.

That's why i never expected trailers , of new stuff in the first place.
Only the songs played with the original trailers in loop....

But know with that stuff that the songs debut in some way before the concerts, and making almost confirmed we have p5 music in that.

Well now i waiting some kind the debut in the last 10 days before the concert to be honest.

The music in the new game is one of the things i most looking forward in any persona game. (Is always so good like P3 movies , PQ and Ultimax songs).

Hell even the songs for Marie the animation are good too.

Hype at 1000% .

Sophia

Nah, like I said, my initial vote was that no unveil would occur before February 5th, and that's still what I believe. I'm starting to wonder the opposite just a bit more because of the info I gathered for past music concerts, and because of the upcoming Dengeki PlayStation vol. 583, but I still don't think they'd have a huge countdown and then actually just have a reveal that took place before it was done.

I'm just not getting my expectations up for a huge reveal at the concert specifically. It's just not a good venue for an 5-10 minute trailer. I'm sure we'll get a blowout of information that week, however. I do think we'll see a main song reveal at the concert too.

FluxWaveZ

I'm just not getting my expectations up for a huge reveal at the concert specifically. It's just not a good venue for an 5-10 minute trailer. I'm sure we'll get a blowout of information that week, however. I do think we'll see a main song reveal at the concert too.

My stance is similar. I do not think there will be anything before the concert, I have no idea what will happen at the concert, but I do think that a P5 unveil will at least occur surrounding the concert.

Lunar15

Concert ends, people yell for an encore, lights come back on, Hashino is standing on the stage:

"Everyone check under your seats, we just released P5 and you all now have a copy"

Anything less than that scenario is worth boycotting Atlus entirely, in my opinion. Completely reasonable.

Sophia

My stance is similar. I do not think there will be anything before the concert, I have no idea what will happen at the concert, but I do think that a P5 unveil will at least occur surrounding the concert.

The concert is February 5th. And that's a Thursday. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a blowout that week, like on Tuesday.

Concert ends, people yell for an encore, lights come back on, Hashino is standing on the stage:

"Everyone check under your seats, we just released P5 and you all now have a copy"

Anything less than that scenario is worth boycotting Atlus entirely, in my opinion. Completely reasonable.

Heh, imagine if they gave out a P5 demo there? That'd be awesome.

I think we'll get a some info dump on one of the big gaming magazines in Japan, like character introductions and the setting etc.

And at the concert they will probably reveal the battle theme to go along a gameplay compilation.

That's my guess if anything does get announced on the 5th.

Tamanon

Banned
I think we'll get a some info dump on one of the big gaming magazines in Japan, like character introductions and the setting etc.

And at the concert they will probably reveal the battle theme to go along a gameplay compilation.

That's my guess if anything does get announced on the 5th.

That's my guess.

FluxWaveZ

The concert is February 5th. And that's a Thursday. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a blowout that week, like on Tuesday.

But it's not like P Studio unveiled anything concerning their game reveals the week before an event the last time there was a significant countdown, despite the fact that the event took place on a Sunday. I don't see why this time would be any different.

QuadOpto

But it's not like P Studio unveiled anything concerning their game reveals the week before an event the last time there was a significant countdown, despite the fact that the event took place on a Sunday. I don't see why this time would be any different.

The thing is, as you pointed out earlier, this obviously isn't like other times; As of yet, they obviously haven't revealed anything about the music of visuals of P5(aside from the 1st/2nd trailer), yet they are obviously putting up a pretty big signal that some P5-related is going down at the Concert. I wanted to ask something as well, for the last several times where they showed a visual for the concerts, old or not, were the concerts even announced or advertised to feature stuff from those sources, like P3P, Persona 4 Golden, P3: Movie? It would be natural to play previously revealed videos and a song from a month or two ago at an upcoming concert, especially when the concert wasn't touted to reveal anything big.

Where I'm going with this is, we didn't get anything first, so the just increases the chances of getting something new at the concert that much better; the last 2 trailers for Persona 5 we've gotten have only majorly consisted of sound effects. If they're gonna play the intro song or battle music(I'm putting my money in the opening myself; only reveals as much as they want to and works better aesthetically compared to gameplay footage), I'm gonna bet they'll have something visual up for everybody to see.

Which brings me to another point; the venue. Now, I'll admit, I haven't been to a concert before, and don't know what it's like inside one. But, considering that 1).this is one of Japan's biggest theaters, holding over 14,000 people, 2). It was obviously designed to carry sound a great distance over the crowd and 3).the fact they have screens facing all 4 directions of view for the audience, I really don't think revealing a music video would be impossible there.

Here's a picture for posterity's sake:

63486ab4.jpg

So, I don't know if I'm just being optimistic or not (or maybe, un-optimistic, since I don't expect anything to be revealed before Feb. 5th), but I'm definitely putting my hat in the "Something cool will be shown at PSL -Night of the Phantom-" pile.

My other, more unsubstantiated and hopeful guesses is that once they've sold out on tickets, or once it gets closer to February, they'll reveal that the chained up option on the Persona Super Live page is a livestream or possibly just a link to the visual they show after it's shown at the concert.

FluxWaveZ

So, I don't know if I'm just being optimistic or not (or maybe, un-optimistic, since I don't expect anything to be revealed before Feb. 5th), but I'm definitely putting my hat in the "Something cool will be shown at PSL -Night of the Phantom-" pile.

Well... that's my stance. I can't tell if you're agreeing or not, heh. All we were talking about above was before February 5th, so before PSL2015.

I think the consensus has pretty much been established for a while now that PSL2015 will have some cool, new stuff concerning P5 featured.

NichM

Banned

In general I think you're way too focused on trying to fit future predictions based on past history. A of all, you're not Hari Seldon, and B of all, it doesn't allow for the possibility of anyone trying anything new.

FluxWaveZ

In general I think you're way too focused on trying to fit future predictions based on past history. A of all, you're not Hari Seldon, and B of all, it doesn't allow for the possibility of anyone trying anything new.

Had to Google who Hari Seldon was there... having that ability would be pretty awesome.

But for "B", I think you misunderstand me. I'm not saying that the possibility isn't there; in fact, it is. Hell, I myself want to believe it would occur because P5 news sooner > P5 news later. My stance isn't better than anyone else's because, in the end, all we're doing is speculating off of nothing.

Wait, are you implying that we're going to get P5 news before February 5th?

QuadOpto

Geh, sorry. I was kinda confused, since I thought what you were saying was that they probably wouldn't show anything of real weight, aside from music, at PSL2015 based on past concerts simply showing pre-revealed footage.

I think all that NichM means that as well, that just because the past concerts didn't show something visually new doesn't mean that this one couldn't. He obviously wouldn't be allowed to give us any real hints on that regard, as cool as it would be.:p

... A Foundation reference? I love it!

I don't know when or under what circumstance it'll happen exactly, but the prospect of some actual content from Persona 5 is making me really excited. The idea of P5 moving from nebulous title to actual game is just so freaking exciting! February can't come soon enough.

Tamanon

Banned
Had to Google who Hari Seldon was there... having that ability would be pretty awesome.

But for "B", I think you misunderstand me. I'm not saying that the possibility isn't there; in fact, it is. Hell, I myself want to believe it would occur because P5 news sooner > P5 news later. My stance isn't better than anyone else's because, in the end, all we're doing is speculating off of nothing.

Wait, are you implying that we're going to get P5 news before February 5th?

I think he's not implying anything beyond that you try to fit things into patterns a lot. That's your style.

FluxWaveZ

I think he's not implying anything beyond that you try to fit things into patterns a lot. That's your style.

Ah... sure, I suppose it is. Though, I can't say it's also a wrong style if it's right, right? Like, it's those previous patterns that inform how things might occur, which gives us some insight as to what we might expect in the future. What's the point of rejecting those patterns? We know that P3M updates have accompanied full moons. We know that there's been a PSC episode every month since its Feb. 2014 debut. We know of the trends established through previous Persona music concerts. We knew to expect weekly PQ and P4AU updates when those were going on last year. Etc.

I never said that there wouldn't be any P5 news before February 5th (I even said my stance on this was becoming more nebulous), but I'm about ready to have an avatar bet, heh.

Dawg

So, ehm, guys... I think I messed up already (Whew, that didn't take long!) :p

I was using a GameFAQs guide for all the missable stuff, but I didn't notice it was written on a safety playthrough.

It's this guide: http://www.gamefaqs.com/vita/641695-persona-4-golden/faqs/65282

Everything was going well until I reached 4/27. As you can see in the guide, the creator did the entire dungeon on that day. Now, I'm kinda hoping I'm wrong... but does that mean I won't be able to do that because I'm playing on normal difficulty?

The reason I'm asking is because he mentions you should be grinding (does this mean doing a specific floor over and over?) to create certain personas. But every battle you lose SP/HP and you can't rest in a dungeon. And restoration items are finite. So I'm afraid I'll reach a point where I can't heal myself anymore.

Or am I reading that guide wrong? I feel like such a newb :p

So does Marie ever stop feeling forced? Maybe because I only just started playing P4 a week or so ago but her scenes just seem really jarring

I was using a GameFAQs guide for all the missable stuff, but I didn't notice it was written on a safety playthrough.

It's this guide: http://www.gamefaqs.com/vita/641695-persona-4-golden/faqs/65282

Everything was going well until I reached 4/27. As you can see in the guide, the creator did the entire on that day. Now, I'm kinda hoping I'm wrong... but does that mean I won't be able to do that because I'm playing on normal difficulty?

The reason I'm asking is because he mentions you should be grinding (does this mean doing a specific floor over and over?) to create certain personas. But every battle? you lose SP/HP and you can't rest in a dungeon. And restoration items are finite. So I'm afraid I'll reach a point where I can't help myself anymore.

It is still entirely possible to clear a dungeon in one day, it's a lot harder, but its doable. Make sure you stock up on HP and SP recovery items before you enter if that's your only option.

OR, last resort, wait for time to pass and dont do the dungeon at all. Once the deadline passes you will be sent back a week (I think) so you can correct your mistakes.

Hello! I'm new to the community. S.Link FM convinced me to try to be part of this community since everyone on that podcast seem pretty nice. So quickly about my Persona experience. Played P4 first back in 2012. Got me back into video games after years of buying just CoD/Madden yearly. P4>P3>All other video games. Naoto is best girl, but Chie is the only option. Fuck Ken. PQ is amazing but I'm an idiot and can't do puzzles. Aaaaaaand that about covers it for me. Hope to get to know you guys and if you made it this far here's a link to the first Persona Concert in America from Taiyou Con last weekend!

It's this guide: http://www.gamefaqs.com/vita/641695-...den/faqs/65282

Everything was going well until I reached 4/27. As you can see in the guide, the creator did the entire on that day. Now, I'm kinda hoping I'm wrong... but does that mean I won't be able to do that because I'm playing on normal difficulty?

The reason I'm asking is because he mentions you should be grinding (does this mean doing a specific floor over and over?) to create certain personas. But every battle? you lose SP/HP and you can't rest in a dungeon. And restoration items are finite. So I'm afraid I'll reach a point where I can't help myself anymore.

Grind enemies that you can kill easily with physical attacks which are very good, you can even beat the boss at the end of the castle largely with physical attacks it's what I did to beat that dungeon in one day.

The reason I'm asking is because he mentions you should be grinding (does this mean doing a specific floor over and over?) to create certain personas. But every battle? you lose SP/HP and you can't rest in a dungeon. And restoration items are finite. So I'm afraid I'll reach a point where I can't help myself anymore. And make sure you have a fire resistant/nullifying persona when you face the boss.

You should be fine and be able to do the dungeon in a day, just like what Reanimatoin said stock up on restoration items and play smart by using that guide and ensure you exploit weaknesses so that you don't waste too much SP etc.
So does Marie ever stop feeling forced? Maybe because I only just started playing P4 a week or so ago but her scenes just seem really jarring
In Golden she's gonna feel forced no matter how you'll play it as they did purposely add her to Golden =/

CorvoSol

No, she never does. On the plus side, if you watch The Golden Animation you will come to view her implementation in the game as merely forced, as opposed to aggressively forced.

PK Gaming

Everything was going well until I reached 4/27. As you can see in the guide, the creator did the entire dungeon on that day. Now, I'm kinda hoping I'm wrong... but does that mean I won't be able to do that because I'm playing on normal difficulty?

The reason I'm asking is because he mentions you should be grinding (does this mean doing a specific floor over and over?) to create certain personas. But every battle you lose SP/HP and you can't rest in a dungeon. And restoration items are finite. So I'm afraid I'll reach a point where I can't heal myself anymore.

NO GUIDE READING

PG4HugR.png

Trust me, you will have a much, much better time playing through the game without relying on a guide. Guide use works much better on New Game+ where you'll want to max out social links.

Relax. Attack the dungeon, piece by piece. Oh, and feel free to use the Vox Populi feature to see what other players are doing at specific points.

No, she never does. On the plus side, if you watch The Golden Animation you will come to view her implementation in the game as merely forced, as opposed to aggressively forced.

That would require me to watch the P4 anime and then the P4G anime things I really can't see myself doing.

It's true. The only redeeming part of that anime was that it actually made Marie's ingame implementation seems pretty passive in comparison. Good God that show was grating.

I was pretty okay with her...sucky poems and all...until Persona 4 the Golden animation starts shoving her down our throats...
Nah. For me, P4GA shoving her down our throats made me appreciate her in the game even more! She's just awful in the anime, and it's nothing like the game. They just messed stuff up.

CorvoSol

Basically I only like her in PQ, where they've loosened her up and relaxed that whole forced angle of her character. She's such a bynote in Ultimax that I don't have an opinion of her either way.

P4G as a whole seems a lot easier then P4

- Chest respawn every time you go to another floor, ability to instantly warp up/down a floor if you've already seen the stair case

- Added bonuses like exp+, money+, etc back to shuffle time, let you pick what card you want

- Apparently you can choose the skills you want when fusing, and you can now use Marie to take the skill cards from shuffle time to give persona skills you want if they have access to them

The only thing that seems annoying is that there is no save point before the boss fights which seems like it'll be really cruel for the Shadow Yukiko fight then more of a nuisance after that.

arue

Hello! I'm new to the community. S.Link FM convinced me to try to be part of this community since everyone on that podcast seem pretty nice. So quickly about my Persona experience. Played P4 first back in 2012. Got me back into video games after years of buying just CoD/Madden yearly. P4>P3>All other video games. Naoto is best girl, but Chie is the only option. Fuck Ken. PQ is amazing but I'm an idiot and can't do puzzles. Aaaaaaand that about covers it for me. Hope to get to know you guys and if you made it this far here's a link to the first Persona Concert in America from Taiyou Con last weekend!

Welcome! Thank you for sharing the video!

I took a quick look at the video and I saw Yumi Kawamura, Shihoko Hirata, and Lotus Juice singing:
Maze of Life, Break Out of..., Kimi no Kioku/Memories of You, Pursuing My True Self, Burn My Dread (the crowd's sing-along was great), Light the Fire Up in the Night (both versions too!), Mass Destruction, Never More...

*dies*

I think I just listed almost all of the songs up there, but the ones in italics are definitely my favorite songs. Your Affection and Signs of Love were in there too.

Also, seeing the cosplayers dancing to Deep Breath Deep Breath remix was neat.
The concert looked so fun, I wish I was there ;_;

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
P4G as a whole seems a lot easier then P4

- Chest respawn every time you go to another floor, ability to instantly warp up/down a floor if you've already seen the stair case

- Added bonuses like exp+, money+, etc back to shuffle time, let you pick what card you want

- Apparently you can choose the skills you want when fusing, and you can now use Marie to take the skill cards from shuffle time to give persona skills you want if they have access to them

The only thing that seems annoying is that there is no save point before the boss fights which seems like it'll be really cruel for the Shadow Yukiko fight then more of a nuisance after that.

P4G is much easier than Vanilla, especially if you've already played Vanilla or are a veteran of the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom