• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Gaming

Wow, why didn't anyone tell me this was possible

1eoOTXc.png

SO the award for the best romantic pair in Persona goes toooooooooooooo

FeMC x Mitsuru

The only thing that seems annoying is that there is no save point before the boss fights which seems like it'll be really cruel for the Shadow Yukiko fight then more of a nuisance after that.

If you die, you are allowed to continue from the start of the most recent floor you were on. It's basically the same. If you die from the boss, you can continue from the point before entering the boss room.

Meia

The "no save point thing" is only really annoying if you're bad at remembering to bring Goho-Ms with you when you start dungeoning for the day.

If your goal is to make it through a dungeon in one day, realistically you use the vending machines every week(machine next to the item store sells TaP soda which restores 10 SP, can buy 5 a week, machine at end of shopping district sells three varieties of soda, all of which restore 5 SP, can buy 5 a week), and also buy a group of 3 Tiny Soul Tomatoes when you can(usually also once a week, restore 20 SP a use). Then you have the idea that chests respawn when you go up and down floors, so you can "grind" them as you grind levels, so you can get Snuff Souls(restore 50 SP a use).

Honestly, it's a LOT of work to do it for Yukiko's castle, and it really requires a good knowledge of what you're grinding for(usually a Slime to learn Resist Physical at lv7 and an Ukobach at lv7 that knows Resist Fire), and then fuse them into something that learns Media. Of course if you want to do all of this grinding it'll take you like 9 hours just to do Yukiko's castle by itself, so yeah...

As was said, you'll enjoy yourself a bit more just not following a guide for the first playthrough instead of doing all of these very gamey things. :p

Wow, why didn't anyone tell me this was possible

SO the award for the best romantic pair in Persona goes toooooooooooooo

FeMC x Mitsuru

Wait, wut?

Onamonapenia

Neo Member
So I just finished P3 FES for the first time, and that was probably the best game I ever played, but I have a few questions. They might be in this thread somewhere, but because it doesn't look like P4 spoilers are marked and that's next on the list, I will just ask for now.

1. Is The Answer worth it? I have heard a lot of talk saying that it is really kinda lackluster, and I don't know if I really want to go and put another supposed 30 hours into this game, as I don't have a ton of time right now and want to move on to P4 if I can. I really like the entire cast of P3, but is it worth it to play through The Answer, or should I just look up all the cutscenes and dialog on Youtube?

2. Is it worth buying a Vita or Vita TV to play P4G, or is the OG P4 on PS2 just fine as it is. I am a pretty broke college student, but I may be able to scrap up the money over a few months from work to buy a cheap Vita or something, but is it worth to wait that long for P4G? Or if I just go right to P4 right now would I not lose too much. I know P4G has a lot of extra content or something like that, but worse comes to worse I can play OG P4 now and just play it again when I finally get a Vita.

Meia

So I just finished P3 FES for the first time, and that was probably the best game I ever played, but I have a few questions. They might be in this thread somewhere, but because it doesn't look like P4 spoilers are marked and that's next on the list, I will just ask for now.

1. Is The Answer worth it? I have heard a lot of talk saying that it is really kinda lackluster, and I don't know if I really want to go and put another supposed 30 hours into this game, as I don't have a ton of time right now and want to move on to P4 if I can. I really like the entire cast of P3, but is it worth it to play through The Answer, or should I just look up all the cutscenes and dialog on Youtube?

2. Is it worth buying a Vita or Vita TV to play P4G, or is the OG P4 on PS2 just fine as it is. I am a pretty broke college student, but I may be able to scrap up the money over a few months from work to buy a cheap Vita or something, but is it worth to wait that long for P4G? Or if I just go right to P4 right now would I not lose too much. I know P4G has a lot of extra content or something like that, but worse comes to worse I can play OG P4 now and just play it again when I finally get a Vita.

#1 depends solely on how you enjoyed the battle system in the Journey. The Answer is Hard only, no compendium at all(but Personas don't take as much exp to level on it), and the shadows you fight themselves are meant to be a little bullshit(hey, this shadow is weak to Ice, but has Dodge Ice on it so you only have a 33% chance of hitting it). You go through a few floors to just see a bit of a character's backstory, and it eventually builds to something. If ANY of that puts you off, just youtube the story scenes, as there's one channel that has all of them in order anyway.

#2 depends on how much extra money you do have. Gamestops have been selling the Playstation TVs for $79, which is $20 off than normal, so then getting P4G will probably put you back to $100. It's the cheapest option, by far, to play the game if that was what you're after. Otherwise, of course vanilla P4 is a valid option. There is no BAD version of Persona 4, there's just one that has way more content(P4G).

Onamonapenia

Neo Member
#1 depends solely on how you enjoyed the battle system in the Journey. The Answer is Hard only, no compendium at all(but Personas don't take as much exp to level on it), and the shadows you fight themselves are meant to be a little bullshit(hey, this shadow is weak to Ice, but has Dodge Ice on it so you only have a 33% chance of hitting it). You go through a few floors to just see a bit of a character's backstory, and it eventually builds to something. If ANY of that puts you off, just youtube the story scenes, as there's one channel that has all of them in order anyway.

#2 depends on how much extra money you do have. Gamestops have been selling the Playstation TVs for $79, which is $20 off than normal, so then getting P4G will probably put you back to $100. It's the cheapest option, by far, to play the game if that was what you're after. Otherwise, of course vanilla P4 is a valid option. There is no BAD version of Persona 4, there's just one that has way more content(P4G).

Thanks! Sounds like I'll just watch the cutscenes for The Answer on Youtube, looks to be about 4 hours as opposed to 30 hours. And it looks like I'll just have two playthroughs of P4, once I get enough money to buy a Playstation TV.

PK Gaming

WELL SHIT the cat's out of the bag now. Sorry y'all, I deceived you; there's no Mitsuru x FeMC romance route (if there was, you would never ever ever ever hear the end of it from me)

Why do games like this offer lesbian options, but never gay options.

You've got it backwards man. Persona is actually pretty light on lesbian options... at least in comparison to the gay options. In Persona 2, there was that ever famous Tatsuya x Jun pairing (Both scenario writer Satomi Tadashi and Kaneko personally support this one)

Click the image for the source said:

And over on the P4 side, there's Yosuke. Oh boy, there were all kinds of cut content from his social link. Everything from romance flags (which are still somewhat present in his social link!), cut dialogue options (both from Yosuke and party members) indicated that he was originally going to be a love interest. But the clincher was this removed audio line right here:

“ore, omae ga suki da" (I like you). Seems innocuous enough, right? But the devil is in the details.

If you are a Japanese guy, you do not “suki” your friends. Girls have more freedom with this and can toss it around a bit more willy-nilly, but it’s not something you tell someone as a guy unless you’re pretty serious about them. (And even then, guys saying it is still pretty rare…) When you do a lover’s route with the girls in P4, their “I love you” at Rank 10 is a “suki”/”suki desu” in Japanese.

So despite the fact that “suki” can be used for inanimate objects/family/friends, Yosuke’s “ore, omae ga suki da” (“I like you”) is unquestionably a lover’s route statement. He would not say this to Souji Yu in a casual manner, because if he was just trying to convey feelings of friendship he probably would have said something more like “you’re important to me”

Teddie is also pretty gay for the protagonist, but it's Teddie.

Hmm.

kewlmyc

WELL SHIT the cat's out of the bag now. Sorry y'all, I deceived you; there's no Mitsuru x FeMC romance route (if there was, you would never ever ever ever hear the end of it from me)

You've got it backwards man. Persona is actually pretty light on lesbian options... at least in comparison to the gay options. In Persona 2, there was that ever famous Tatsuya x Jun pairing (Both scenario writer Satomi Tadashi and Kaneko personally support this one)

And over on the P4 side, there's Yosuke. Oh boy, there were all kinds of cut content from his social link. Everything from romance flags (which are still somewhat present in his social link!), cut dialogue options (both from Yosuke and party members) indicated that he was originally going to be a love interest. But the clincher was this removed audio line right here:

“ore, omae ga suki da" (I like you). Seems innocuous enough, right? But the devil is in the details.

Teddie is also pretty gay for the protagonist, but it's Teddie.

Hmm.

Quit hotlinking!

Also everyone's Yu sexual anyway.

Meia

Wait, Yosuke and Yu had the fight by Persona Q.
Why does he still have Jiraiya.

At this point, it's safe to assume that the cast receiving upgraded personas for social linking isn't a canon thing, as the anime, nor the spinoff games have it happening that way. At least Persona Q goes out of it's way to say that yes, all the social links are done for the characters(in all likelihood). Otherwise, it kind of made Yu seem like an asshole.

I've always kind of done max social link runs because the alternative is kind of bad. "Oh, you mean everyone I helped resolve all of their inner turmoil with had their personas change to signify that, and I missed like Kanji. Ah well, hope he'll turn out ok." Not to mention it's kind of jarring to not have either SEES nor the IT mention anything when their own personas start changing. At least I think it's Aigis that monitors it happening in 3.

Famitsu head editor in chief teasing in a live broadcast on nico that an absolutely massive scoop is coming on the January 29 issue of Famitsu.

Dengeki Playstation also teasing in its next issue preview releasing on January 29 that the ban has lifted on first bits of information on a huge title and that they will have a scoop on it.

Hype time!

Persona 5 related?

At this point, it's safe to assume that the cast receiving upgraded personas for social linking isn't a canon thing, as the anime, nor the spinoff games have it happening that way. At least Persona Q goes out of it's way to say that yes, all the social links are done for the characters(in all likelihood). Otherwise, it kind of made Yu seem like an asshole.

I've always kind of done max social link runs because the alternative is kind of bad. "Oh, you mean everyone I helped resolve all of their inner turmoil with had their personas change to signify that, and I missed like Kanji. Ah well, hope he'll turn out ok." Not to mention it's kind of jarring to not have either SEES nor the IT mention anything when their own personas start changing. At least I think it's Aigis that monitors it happening in 3.

so to get my head canon straight
The p4mc in PersonaQ is a p4mc that has completed
ALL SOCIAL links with the cast of playable characters correct?
This explains why personas of the cast are able to "evolve". Right?

If so, how do the p3 cast's personas evolve?
You didn't really have to max social links to get their personas to evolve, it was very much plot driven and there you go kind thing.

It could be for P4D. That's a possibility, too.

I wouldn't call Dancing a "huge" title. Although it's a gaming magazine tease, so "huge" should be taken with a grain of salt.

Thinking about it, taking the wording of the tease completely literally, we already have some "first bits of information" on Persona 5, so it might not fit after all.

You didn't really have to max social links to get their personas to evolve, it was very much plot driven and there you go kind thing.

(Q)
In Q? The Personas evolving had nothing to do with the proper means, Margaret causes them to evolve without meeting the requirements from the main games.

The "no save point thing" is only really annoying if you're bad at remembering to bring Goho-Ms with you when you start dungeoning for the day.

If your goal is to make it through a dungeon in one day, realistically you use the vending machines every week(machine next to the item store sells TaP soda which restores 10 SP, can buy 5 a week, machine at end of shopping district sells three varieties of soda, all of which restore 5 SP, can buy 5 a week), and also buy a group of 3 Tiny Soul Tomatoes when you can(usually also once a week, restore 20 SP a use). Then you have the idea that chests respawn when you go up and down floors, so you can "grind" them as you grind levels, so you can get Snuff Souls(restore 50 SP a use).

Honestly, it's a LOT of work to do it for Yukiko's castle, and it really requires a good knowledge of what you're grinding for(usually a Slime to learn Resist Physical at lv7 and an Ukobach at lv7 that knows Resist Fire), and then fuse them into something that learns Media. Of course if you want to do all of this grinding it'll take you like 9 hours just to do Yukiko's castle by itself, so yeah...

As was said, you'll enjoy yourself a bit more just not following a guide for the first playthrough instead of doing all of these very gamey things. :p

Wait, wut?

I cleared Yukiko's castle in vanilla in one day basically coming down to the last of my healing items and sp with no health left. For sure going to do that again in p4g

I guess it's what you might be implying, but both of these situations aren't really comparable because, as far as I'm aware, no new P3M trailer was shown at Persona Music FES 2013, while a completely new Persona 5 trailer revealed at a concert would be on a whole other stratosphere.

Sure, it's just a guess. They could just play the cutscene we've already seen while playing the song though. If it's just a piece of music and no new footage I don't think it's that big of a deal but personally I think that revealing the game like this would be pretty epic.
Maybe they'll show us a trailer a few days before and then play the music in the trailer at the show. Makes more sense I guess.
I'm just saying that I'm convinced P5 music will be performed live, as for the rest all we can do is guess.

Since none of the Super Live speculation that I've see seems to take it into account, what to people think about the theme: we've seen the name "Night of the Phantom," the masquerade masks, the knife in the logo, the blood splatters on the website.

How do people think that those will tie into the event? If it's simply performing music or showing a trailer, what do these have to do with it? They almost make me think that there will be some sort of narrative to the event.

Since none of the Super Live speculation that I've see seems to take it into account, what to people think about the theme: we've seen the name "Night of the Phantom," the masquerade masks, the knife in the logo, the blood splatters on the website.

How do people think that those will tie into the event? If it's simply performing music or showing a trailer, what do these have to do with it? They almost make me think that there will be some sort of narrative to the event.

Probably stuff related to P5's story that will make more sense when we see it. That's my guess anyway.

FluxWaveZ

zeromcd hype posts and Famitsu "scoops" rarely go well together.

Best to take it with a pinch of salt.

The Famitsu one is nothing (unless that's referring to the Famitsu issue releasing on Jan. 29) but, like I said before, I do think that the Dengeki PlayStation one has the potential to be related to Persona 5.

Edit: I don't think it will be, though.

Edit 2: Actually, now I'm fairly sure it won't be and MSMrRound is totally right, because the Dengeki thing will most likely be related to the Famitsu thing, which sounds like it will be related to Capcom. Doesn't sound like P5 info will be coming from any magazines next week.

Edit 3: Full Famitsu preview for next week:
Famitsu preview is out:

- 2x special interviews:
1. Kobayashi (Capcom-Dragons Dogma) x Baba (Tales of)
2. Ichimura (Square Enix-Dragon Quest) x Yokoyama (Sega-Yakuza)

- Interviews will have some surprising information to share

- A scoop on a very suprising brand new exclusive game
Yeah, doesn't sound like there'll be P5 news coming from Famitsu or Dengeki next week.

Meia

Persona 3 in general's growth wasn't optional, while in P4 it CAN be. Persona Q establishes that in all likelihood Yu did the social links anyway, but the "gamey" idea of their personas evolving because of it didn't happen. That's what I'm going with at this point anyway.
I mean, the P4 cast got their personas in the first place in a very similar way in which the SEES cast did in P3(by confronting themselves and steeling their resolve).

Of course, all of this could simply be trying to force the "lore" to fit into stylistic choices they made for the fighting game, so eh.

Dawg

NO GUIDE READING

PG4HugR.png

Trust me, you will have a much, much better time playing through the game without relying on a guide. Guide use works much better on New Game+ where you'll want to max out social links.

Relax. Attack the dungeon, piece by piece. Oh, and feel free to use the Vox Populi feature to see what other players are doing at specific points.

Sorry. Pls forgive :(

tumblr_lkmz5qLjAh1qjgtvzo1_400.png

Persona 3 in general's growth wasn't optional, while in P4 it CAN be. Persona Q establishes that in all likelihood Yu did the social links anyway, but the "gamey" idea of their personas evolving because of it didn't happen. That's what I'm going with at this point anyway.
I mean, the P4 cast got their personas in the first place in a very similar way in which the SEES cast did in P3(by confronting themselves and steeling their resolve).

Of course, all of this could simply be trying to force the "lore" to fit into stylistic choices they made for the fighting game, so eh.

I see it more clearly now
I think PQ treats P3 cast nicely as Shinjiro
doesn't have an evolved Persona in the base game either.

When you mean PQ treating P4MC has having maxed social links. In what ways do you mean this? How is this manifested in PQ? What about the fact that I have not maxed
Kanji or Yukiko's social link before the Culture festival. Characters in PQ still get their upgraded Personas? If you say well because Margaret, so this means Margeret herself can cause an upgrade in Personas.

Doesn't this render P4MC's social linking in P4G completely useless?

Isn't there a 3rd tier
evolve for P4G? Is this introduced in PQ too (haven't finished the game yet just started 4th dungeon).

FluxWaveZ

No idea what they mean for the event itself, but I think the imagery of both the masquerade masks, the Persona 5 protagonist facing away, and the dagger's shadow over the words (coloring them differently) suggests the typical Persona concept of something hidden beneath the surface.

Edit: New P3M interview. The home release of P3M#2 will include about 4 minutes of unreleased footage, including a scene involving Shinji and Akihiko. Also states that Movie #3 will have more action in it than the previous two movies.

Lunar15

I actually made a post about this a few weeks ago. If P5 does in fact take any inspiration from Phantom of the Opera, there's a wealth of Jungian type themes to pull from that perfectly match the idea of people being held back by society.

You've got it backwards man. Persona is actually pretty light on lesbian options... at least in comparison to the gay options. In Persona 2, there was that ever famous Tatsuya x Jun pairing (Both scenario writer Satomi Tadashi and Kaneko personally support this one
Tbh, I never really supported that pairing. Mostly because from a story perspective, it doesn't really make any sense.
As the two have never seen each other since the Shrine fire incident and it only then that they met each other again is when they summoned him as JOKER.
I feel as though even if the creators don't agree with this, I think Tatsuya X Lisa/Maya pairing holds a lot more weight in my humble opinion. As we got to see plenty of scenes throughout the game towards Tatsuya liking either of them and so forth. Not so much with Jun, beyond like one scene.

Xenoflare

I see it more clearly now
I think PQ treats P3 cast nicely as Shinjiro
doesn't have an evolved Persona in the base game either.

When you mean PQ treating P4MC has having maxed social links. In what ways do you mean this? How is this manifested in PQ? What about the fact that I have not maxed
Kanji or Yukiko's social link before the Culture festival. Characters in PQ still get their upgraded Personas? If you say well because Margaret, so this means Margeret herself can cause an upgrade in Personas.

Doesn't this render P4MC's social linking in P4G completely useless?

Isn't there a 3rd tier
evolve for P4G? Is this introduced in PQ too (haven't finished the game yet just started 4th dungeon).

PQ doesn't have Golden 3rd tier personas

Koromaru also doesn't have an evolved persona, in fact I think PQ handled it well in terms of plot

PQ, like P4A
alludes to events of max links while retaining original personas

The characters still grow and mature due to social links and that reflect within their personalities.

There isn't much to do if thw p-studio "uncannoned" the ultimate personas for the p4 cast :s

FluxWaveZ

ooh, can you link it?

I think "Night of the Phantom" is still something very important to P5. Nothing else in Persona really refers to a Phantom, so why call it that?

What if they actually did use the masquerade masks as the evokers this time, like they were going to for P4?

Y'know, one of the themes of Phantom of the Opera is struggling to express yourself in a society that doesn't share, or even rejects your passions. Kinda lines up, huh?

Neat comparison. It'd be complete if a dagger was a Phantom of the Opera motif.

So because I started over I figured I'd go for the other Sun and Strength social links and because the P4G max slink guide recommends soccer/drama so I'm watching the end of the Ayane and Kou links online and I have a question. In the Ayane level 9 social link when you are in a relationship with her you have the option of asking her to go to your house, but the video I watched the player didn't have a high enough courage stat. Is there another video that shows if you have max courage what is said there? Or one that shows if you just stay friends for the end of the slink?

Edit: Found one that shows bringing her to your place at level 9, is there any that shows the friend route?

Dramaclub is secretly the best social link anyway.

While I did drama in high school as well, music was far and away my passion. I did music club in P3 as well not that it matters as much in that game as far as I can tell. At least I won't feel like I'm romancing a 8 year old with the drama club

How do books work in Persona 4 Golden? In Vanilla they were a great source of stat boost but here nothing seems to happen when you read one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom