• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

PK Gaming

Hmm, as the Persona 4 Dancing PAL release approaches, I think I'm going to skip it.

I'm not really that into rhythm games outside of Rhythm Heaven for how quirky and fun it is, so I was really just buying the game because it's Persona.

But you know what I've realised, I like Persona because it's an RPG, so why should I buy this rhythm spin off? I'm not a fool that just buys anything because it says Persona on the box!

It feels good to realise this.

Cue everyone telling me I'm a fool and P4DAN is amazing so I break down and buy it

Kq9unlp.jpg

Sophia

You definitely won't be able to keep everyone evenly leveled on Risky, lol

You've got some breathing room since you picked Narukami as a lead but you probably want to stick to the best characters.

I can speak from experience. If you try to keep everyone leveled on Risky, you will take several hours more per dungeon. The game mechanics are working against you in every possible way and by the third dungeon it will be impractical to keep leveling everyone. We're talking a 50-60 hour game becoming 80 hours easily.

I've never been a fan of experience share, even in Pokemon. But this is one game where it was absolutely needed to some degree. You just can't keep 16 characters + 13 Personas all evenly leveled on the hardest setting.

hey everyone, new guy here, just thought i'd introduce myself. i played and finished P4G last year and absolutely loved it, and i'm slowly, but surely working on finishing P3 and PQ, lol.

speaking of P3, i actually have a question; i'm on the day before one of the full moon operations, but i'd still like to do some grinding in tartarus to level up. if my party members end up getting tired, they'll still be available for the full moon boss, right?
I read somewhere that the game won't let your party get tired the day before the full moon op.

Nachos

Sölf;184360391 said:
Beat the first boss in PQ. Just barely, because my poison wouldn't want to work.
I made the "mistake" of playing Q on risky with Makoto, and honestly, it was after that boss when the game's difficulty really started to taper off, provided I played the game like a normal Etrian game and didn't charge into every FOE I saw. That's also without me touching light/dark skills until the final dungeon, which even then, was more to blast through the remainder as quickly as possible. I think you'll be fine for a while now.

If you're not already, though, do Elizabeth's quests that reward you with EXP sharers as you get them and give one to the other protagonist, assuming you're not just using both, replacing them with better leveling accessories as you get them. You'll need both heroes leveled up past a certain threshold for a late-game quest that gives a great reward, but if you stay on top of things, you won't need to grind much or even at all once you get to that point.

(Seriously why is that first boss such a damage sponge on risky? It'd be great if Q had a way to reset any ailment immunity buildup, but that'd just be an end-game skill, anyway.)

CorvoSol

I can't hate the story in P4D because at its heart basically every Persona game
is about saving the soul of some girl who's sick in the head. Even if they gotta retcon it in like P4G.

I can and will hate on all the fucking terrible new designs tho.

Looking RIGHT AT YOU Coach. You're a bad enough stereotype without the godawful art to go with it.

Sölf

I made the "mistake" of playing Q on risky with Makoto, and honestly, it was after that boss when the game's difficulty really started to taper off, provided I played the game like a normal Etrian game and didn't charge into every FOE I saw. That's also without me touching light/dark skills until the final dungeon, which even then, was more to blast through the remainder as quickly as possible. I think you'll be fine for a while now.

If you're not already, though, do Elizabeth's quests that reward you with EXP sharers as you get them and give one to the other protagonist, assuming you're not just using both, replacing them with better leveling accessories as you get them. You'll need both heroes leveled up past a certain threshold for a late-game quest that gives a great reward, but if you stay on top of things, you won't need to grind much or even at all once you get to that point.

(Seriously why is that first boss such a damage sponge on risky? It'd be great if Q had a way to reset any ailment immunity buildup, but that'd just be an end-game skill, anyway.)

Yeah, I already see at the normal mobs that battles are quite different from EO. The first two FOEs, the Card Soldiers, also aren't any better regarding their HP with no weakness and the typical high amount of defense. I also didn't really distribute my Personas the best way possible. Yukiko was the one who had to poison the boss, the only one who had Poisma and the Rakunda skill (because Slime was the only Persona that had Poisen and defense debuff so far, and because he was a rare one I also didn't want to fuse him). She also was the only one who had a group damage skill. Not really the best thing for her SP. I had 2 Soma Droplets which I hadn't used, but still. If poison wouldn't have last for like 4-5 turns at the beginning, it would have made things quite a bit different.

Other than that, Naoto was in the back and functioned as a tank, which actually worked pretty well. Because of the Heal Stone I also had like infinite healing, at least until Naoto's SP ran out. Which happend at like, ~300 HP left. Not a nice ending. xD

Edit: I haven't entered the second dungeon yet, but I currently have Yu, Mitsuru, Shinjiro, Yukiko and Yukarin in my team. Will probably still switch quite a few times around. And yeah, Hama/Mudo is so damn good. Killed my first beetle this way. Is there any place where I can reliably fight them? I only fought them twice (and once was an event), I still need one of their drops.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I'm sure everyone knows already, but the P4D DLC has gone up on EU PSN. The girl's swimsuit set is free for the first week.

VegiHam

I'm sure everyone knows already, but the P4D DLC has gone up on EU PSN. The girl's swimsuit set is free for the first week.

I got the game yesterday, and so far I'm loving it even though I shouldn't be. I'm conflicted on this free DLC though. On the one hand, free DLC! :D But on the other, swimsuits? Urgh, why not something cool and less objectifyingy?

I like the little news bulletin thingy they're doing on the LiveArea screen. Actually gives me a reason to look at it since I have no friends with a Vita.

Jintor

at some point you just shrug and get used to it. then before you know it you're neck deep in idols. CONSTANT VIGILENCE

Dugna

I got the game yesterday, and so far I'm loving it even though I shouldn't be. I'm conflicted on this free DLC though. On the one hand, free DLC! :D But on the other, swimsuits? Urgh, why not something cool and less objectifyingy?

The guys have swimsuits and their crossdress outfits and Kanji has Seaweed, so both sides are covered in this.

Dantis

The other free DLC is exactly that. It's the new outfits from Golden: Midwinter uniforms, casual and ski trip.

In other news, I drew a more realistic Naoto:

VegiHam

The guys have swimsuits and their crossdress outfits and Kanji has Seaweed, so both sides are covered in this.
Wait, I'm confused; are the swimsuits for everyone free? I knew there were guys one; but if they're free too that makes it a bit less kinda creepy.
The other free DLC is exactly that. It's the new outfits from Golden: Midwinter uniforms, casual and ski trip.
Ah, see, that's more what I'm looking for! Yay for Golden and it's really cool clothes!

Also, that's a really cool drawing Dantis! Way to go! :D

Sölf

So, in Q I am now on the second floor of Labyrinth 2. Finished roughly 1/2 - 2/3 of it. After not saving for I don't know how long, I reached the room with the second FOE. You know, these blue Cupid Horse Thingies. So, I was mapping out this floor, entering every tile so I can get 100% floor exploration later on and then I was in a corner with no way to escape. I could have escaped with an item but I thought "Eh, the thing will probably just disorient me again, so I take my chances of 1/4."

Little did I know that these arrows force me to walk directly towards it. Getting hit while standing directly in front of it was not the best thing. Playing on Risky with no escape from FOE battles possible. Well, it didn't work out as planned. So I just said "fuck it, let's see how strong this thing is!" Turns out, not very strong. Thanks to poison and Media I killed it. P4MC now has a new armor which increased his DEF from 99 to 138. :D

Sölf

Yeah, some of the dungeon 2 FOEs aren't too bad. Dungeon 4 has a few like that, too. Both dungeons also have FOEs that will fuck you up, though.

I mean, without poison, which did friggin 280 damage at an 3120 HP enemy, I wouldn't have been able to do this. My most damage aside from that were tier 2 spells for ~60. But yeah, 28 SP cost, no way. Normal attacks didn't even deal 20 damage with lowered DEF on the enemy. xD

Sölf;184556354 said:
I mean, without poison, which did friggin 280 damage at an 3120 HP enemy, I wouldn't have been able to do this. My most damage aside from that were tier 2 spells for ~60. But yeah, 28 SP cost, no way. Normal attacks didn't even deal 20 damage with lowered DEF on the enemy. xD

Yep. Poison is the best thing in your arsenal for a long time for high HP enemies. You can surpass it later if you can get <Element> Link + Quadruple Link + Golden Link + Dragon Cry going on one character. (I.E.
Kanji with Kartikeya/Hachiman).

I also got excellent use of a short sword you can get that does 1 dmg with a high chance of inflicting Panic. You can take a lot of FOEs down ahead of time if they never target you.

Sölf

Yep. Poison is the best thing in your arsenal for a long time for high HP enemies. You can surpass it later if you can get <Element> Link + Quadruple Link + Golden Link + Dragon Cry going on one character. (I.E.
Kanji with Kartikeya/Hachiman).

I also got excellent use of a short sword you can get that does 1 dmg with a high chance of inflicting Panic. You can take a lot of FOEs down ahead of time if they never target you.

I've already found 3 of those weapons. Not sure if the panic sword was one of those.

Just reached floor 3 of the second labyrinth. After encountering this friggin king, I just assume he will be a normal enemy later on. With like, 6x the HP of other mobs, lol.

I also just beat the golden beetle. Twice, because I forgot FOEs respawn after leaving. Ugh.

VegiHam

It's amazing how P4:DAN can take a tack from Persona 4 I considered one of the least interesting and rocket it straight up to my favourite. Way to go Teddie!

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
I personally enjoyed the story more than ultimax but remember less of it, so I don't know if that makes it better.

If you don't finish the story, I recommend youtubing the unlockable scenes you're supposed to get after finishing every free dance song.

Oh really?

I'll finish the game eventually then.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I powered through P4D story mode today.

I see a successful career in finance in Yu's future - as a bond trader.

Top Bottom