• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

Lunar15

Call me weird, but I prefer Mass Destruction.

I can't wait to see what his flanderized personality trait becomes, once P5 is released!

It's going to be his dual personalities. He'll swap from mellow to outlandish mid conversation, Noire style.

JCX

Mass Destruction sounds like a normal encounter theme, Wiping All Out sounds like a miniboss theme. If it were like P4G, I'd like MD for normal, WAO for normal encounter advantage and miniboss. The only good boss theme in P3P so far is Master of Shadow, everything else just doesn't work for me.

PK Gaming

z5wtCiA.jpg

Mnbd2tF.jpg

P6jxaLw.jpg

gT0ULby.jpg

AaH6Rkg.jpg

blnIjqS.jpg

BVsLepR.jpg

Kq9unlp.jpg

JFJDMwn.jpg

I just read the title of that post, Happy Birthday PK

She's definitely not as concrete as Yukari, but I always got the sense that the story was pushing her the strongest. But that said, perhaps that speaks more to her character, where a situation does need to be contrived for her at the beginning, simply because of her personality.

There's no doubt that Yukiko ends up getting the backseat after her dungeon, but the beginning of the story wasn't designed to compensate, as you're implying. You can't really make up for something that has just begun.

A more ridiculous example of that would be saying the way Kanji is portrayed in the main game is to make up for how he is in Persona 4 Arena.

Kazzy

There's no doubt that Yukiko ends up getting the backseat after her dungeon, but the beginning of the story wasn't designed to compensate, as you're implying. You can't really make up for something that has just begun.

A more ridiculous example of that would be saying the way Kanji is portrayed in the main game is to make up for how he is in Persona 4 Arena.

I think you've misunderstood. I wasn't implying anything, just stating, that because Yukiko's dungeon is at the very beginning of the game, she's the first party member to get a lot of focused characterization - all of which influenced my initial opinion.

Lunar15

I just noticed that the new portraits for P4D don't have that distinctive shading style Soejima had for the original P4 portraits. Did Soejima draw the new portraits?

Also, have we seen any of the dialogue portraits for P5 other than Morgana?

DodgeDusk

Also, super bonus: I think Spider's String from DDS is a heavily underrated and amazing song. Hope we get some mellow, jammy songs like this in P5. DDS is his best work and Persona goes for a different angle, but since P5 seems to have a lounge-y slant, I'd love to see his more progressive sound. P4 had The Almighty, which came really close, but I'd like even more.
Wow, that's a pleasant piece to listen to; have it on loop now. Would be awesome if Meguro composed some tracks like this for Persona 5. Thanks for sharing

Zolo

:|

Aigis wasn't even a social link in the original version of Persona 3. Yukari seems to have been the intended love interest originally, before the introduction of social links.

More of a joke about how she's the only kinda-sorta option in BOTH the male and female path
along with maybe Elizabeth if you choose her.
along with probably getting the most coverage outside the game.

I agree about Yukari being pushed more than anyone in the game itself with scenes like the vacation one and the Answer indicating she at least had unrequited feelings.

Setsu00

I just noticed that the new portraits for P4D don't have that distinctive shading style Soejima had for the original P4 portraits. Did Soejima draw the new portraits?

Also, have we seen any of the dialogue portraits for P5 other than Morgana?

It's possible that Soejima only did the lineart for the character portraits just like in P2 where was responsible for the shading. That being said, Soejima already changed his shading style for P4U.

The portraits for Caroline and Justine were revealed during the last livestream.

Sophia

More of a joke about how she's the only kinda-sorta option in BOTH the male and female path
along with maybe Elizabeth if you choose her.
along with probably getting the most coverage outside the game.

I agree about Yukari being pushed more than anyone in the game itself with scenes like the vacation one and the Answer indicating she at least had unrequited feelings.

Fun fact:
Elizabeth dates weren't in vanilla P3 either!

Sölf

If anyone will ask me in the future if he should play P3 or P4 first, definitly 3. I am so happy when this game is finally over. I still have nearly 50 level in Tartarus to do, ugh. I really can't see this dungeon anymore. The worst thing though is that the main plot is so good, but everything else is just meh after playing 4 Golden. D:

I just want to finish it so I can play Q. ;___;

Sölf;183937970 said:
If anyone will ask me in the future if he should play P3 or P4 first, definitly 3. I am so happy when this game is finally over. I still have nearly 50 level in Tartarus to do, ugh. I really can't see this dungeon anymore. The worst thing though is that the main plot is so good, but everything else is just meh after playing 4 Golden. D:

3 just has this huge 60 hour stretch in the middle that really brings it down. Tartarus was a huge failure in a great game.

Though if you're not a fan of dungeon crawling, you might not like Q either (although its dungeons and battles are streets ahead of P3 and 4.)

Sölf;183937970 said:

I wholeheartedly agree with this. I don't find anything as enjoyable in 3 as I did in 4 except for the actual story. Characters are worse (save for a small handful), gameplay is worse, school is worse.

I should've went with p3p so I could've made her a ho.

The only other thing I like about 3 over 4 is the fact you can go back to the start of the Tartarus and refill hp/sp.

Yeah. From my understanding, Q has much more dungeon crawling than either P3 or P4.

It's p much a straight-up dungeon crawler with gameplay taken straight from Etrian Odyssey. There's little breaks here and there for dialogue/character interaction though.
If Tartarus drained you because it was all randomly generated and pointless, you might still like PQ just because the dungeons are actually well designed. But if dungeon crawling at all is a turn off to you it's a tough sell. I loved it though.

The only other thing I like about 3 over 4 is the fact you can go back to the start of the Tartarus and refill hp/sp.

You can do this in P4 also though... ?

3 just has this huge 60 hour stretch in the middle that really brings it down. Tartarus was a huge failure in a great game.

Though if you're not a fan of dungeon crawling, you might not like Q either (although its dungeons and battles are streets ahead of P3 and 4.)

I beat P3 in 60 hours :|

I also binged it and beat it in 6 days too, so that may be why

And about Persona Q, it's my favorite combat system, by far. I even tried EO afterwards, not a fan of it. PQ's combat is a perfect blend that makes it feel unique yet still feels familiar to Persona. I want another PQ game that improves upon PQ's flaws (after i beat PQ. The 3rd dungeon was such a drag it sucked all my motivation to continue for now)

Hydrus

Sölf;183937970 said:

I wholeheartedly agree with this. I don't find anything as enjoyable in 3 as I did in 4 except for the actual story. Characters are worse (save for a small handful), gameplay is worse, school is worse.

I should've went with p3p so I could've made her a ho.

I'm with both of you on this! Never played Persona until I got a Vita. Loved everything about P4G. Then needed more Persona in my life, so I played 3. It was probably hardest experience Ive had to face playing a game. I wanted to love it but it just didn't match up P4G. Tartarus just dragged it down way too much. If anybody ask me, I would tell them to just watch the anime's.

I'm with both of you on this! Never played Persona until I got a Vita. Loved everything about P4G. Then needed more Persona in my life, so I played 3. It was probably hardest experience Ive had to face playing a game. I wanted to love it but it just didn't match up P4G. Tartarus just dragged it down way too much. If anybody ask me, I would tell them to just watch the anime's.
I still have yet to play golden. Went from regular p4, to some of arena, to p3. Was gonna try to finish all the persona 3/4 games this year but don't think it's gonna happen, between me having to play games for reviewing and me either not really liking p3 or just being burnt out. Can't tell which it is.

I still have yet to play golden. Went from regular p4, to some of arena, to p3. Was gonna try to finish all the persona 3/4 games this year but don't think it's gonna happen, between me having to play games for reviewing and me either not really liking p3 or just being burnt out. Can't tell which it is.

For better or worse, P4G is a breeze on milder difficulties.

I played P4G and am now playing P3FES on easy, just because I really don't want these games to be frustrating. After buying a PS3 a little over a month ago (yes, I'm late) I instantly bought P4AU, only to find out there are P3 characters in there.
I'm enjoying P3F so far, but I have to agree that I don't really like anything as much as I do in P4G so far.
(Also, what is with Fuuka's voice? She constantly switches between teenage girl and old woman, especially during her
navigation lines
.)

For better or worse, P4G is a breeze on milder difficulties.

Yeah, I've heard. Isn't Shadow Kanji super easy now. I got so pissed at that fight I cheated.

I played P4G and am now playing P3FES on easy, just because I really don't want these games to be frustrating. After buying a PS3 a little over a month ago (yes, I'm late) I instantly bought P4AU, only to find out there are P3 characters in there.
I'm enjoying P3F so far, but I have to agree that I don't really like anything as much as I do in P4G so far.
(Also, what is with Fuuka's voice? She constantly switches between teenage girl and old woman, especially during her
navigation lines
)

Honestly, I don't really notice this. Maybe it's because I always cut her
navigation lines
off. I'm not saying I've never noticed it, but if it is something that happens often, I don't really notice. OG Fuuka is best Fuuka!

Sölf

PQ shouldn't pose a problem, as I am huge fan of Etrian Odyssey.

It also didn't really help that I am playing P3P MaleMC, because game said MaleMC would be the better first experience, but it lacks content compared to FES. Well, after nearly 50 hours I definitly won't restart now. Also, at the beginning I still thought I would enjoy the game on hard mode. Well, if I would enjoy everything else I doubt the occasional random crits which kill the MC without me being able to do anything would annoy me as much as they do now. Or getting suprised by the enemy and spammed to death with group attacks so the MC dies before I even get the chance to do anything.

Still, I am tempted to play Q on risky, as I know more or less that Q will just be a better Etrian Odyssey, so I know what I am up against. I think. I hope.

Edit:
To be more precise, I do enjoy a few dungeon crawlers. It's just that Persona, at least for me, is not a real dungeon crawler. Especially after playing P4G, which was just so much more (or basically "Anime - The Game", as I like to call it). For a true dungeon crawler I also think Tartarus is just too dull. Nothing really changes over time, enemies don't really change and nothing "new" gets introduced later on which you don't have already see in the first 20-30 floors. I also think the battlesystem is just too bland for this amount of dungeon crawling. It didn't bother me that much in P4G because inbetween the dungeon runs you had more than enough to do, but that's not really true for P3P. Especially now at the end, where you basically have to climb 100 floors within 2-3 months. Ugh.

Sophia

Honestly, I don't really notice this. Maybe it's because I always cut her
navigation lines
off. I'm not saying I've never noticed it, but if it is something that happens often, I don't really notice. OG Fuuka is best Fuuka!

If you are not referring to Mamiko Noto here, then I am officially revoking your rights to refer to anything as "OG" ever again. :|

JCX

Sölf;183937970 said:

I'm in the same boat. I'm only in Block 5, but it;s such a step down from P4G. I do like splitting up though, hope that's in 5.

Sölf

Finally reached the top in Tartarus. Characters are around 65+ (Mitsuru is the only 62 character). MC is ~70. Still need money for more armor. Then again, not sure if I will farm that. If some people venture into Tartarus I will use that to farm money.

Also, those endgame challenges. Wtf. I doubt I will really do them this time as I really just want to finish the game. Managed to finish the first, but I die horribly to pretty much every other I've tried so far. xD

Sölf;184067135 said:
Finally reached the top in Tartarus. Characters are around 65+ (Mitsuru is the only 62 character). MC is ~70. Still need money for more armor. Then again, not sure if I will farm that. If some people venture into Tartarus I will use that to farm money.

Also, those endgame challenges. Wtf. I doubt I will really do them this time as I really just want to finish the game. Managed to finish the first, but I die horribly to pretty much every other I've tried so far. xD
How do you need money? I have like 6.5 million yen. I rarely have need to spend on anything.

Top Bottom