• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

Does Yuri Lowenthal voice Makoto in Persona Q? Doesn't sound like him, or is it just a case of I need to change his voice because the sound similar/the same? It's throwing me off.

Also, Akihiko sounds different in battle. And what does boost do?

Does Yuri Lowenthal voice Makoto in Persona Q? Doesn't sound like him, or is it just a case of I need to change his voice because the sound similar/the same? It's throwing me off.

It's different from the noises he made in P3, but it's him. And I think he really did a good job.

Dugna

Boost gives you a turn that lets you use any ability resource free and also makes it so the character boosted has priority in speed over others., abuse it as much as you can. Also Yuri does voice Makoto.

hughesta

Banned
Fighting (P3 ending spoilers)
Nyx Avatar
is the goddamn worst.

Level 65 so I'm probably crazy underleveled but I haven't had a single bump in the road so far and dying here would set me back this entire massive overly long fight. This sucks.

Sölf

Nyx Avatar
is the goddamn worst.

Level 65 so I'm probably crazy underleveled but I haven't had a single bump in the road so far and dying here would set me back this entire massive overly long fight. This sucks.

I think I was ~70-75 on hard mode. Took me an hour to beat him.

Sophia

Nyx Avatar
is the goddamn worst.

You are significantly underleveled. The boss is 76, so you want to be at least level 71.

Zolo

Final Boss(P3) related:
My favorite part of fighting Nyx Avatar was that I would have died if there had been one more turn. I only won because only my protagonist was left fighting after being enraged, and my attack after that finished Nyx Avatar off.

Chiaki is good..... but there is only one true princess who should be your favorite in Danganronpa 2.

tumblr_inline_mtec7os7za59.png

Chihiro, Chiaki, and Sonia are all my favorites

A seven year wait really does a number on a fanbase, huh? :p

I still wish i found persona earlier than i did so i could have talked about theese things with everyone

Sölf;185103935 said:
Finally finished the second labyrinth. The boss was sadly pretty easy (srsly, poison is so damn OP), but the fight itself was pretty fun with what the boss does. And while my "destinied partner" wasn't exactly who I'd hoped it would be, but this is still pretty fitting. :D

(Spoilers for how the game determines your "lover" in Group Date Cafe)
The way the game determines your partner is by a single question. There are 3 answers to each question, and if you select the one of the three that most relates to someone, it matches you with them. So for asking what appearance you like, and you pick "A girl made from titanium" (or however the choice is phrased) you are automatically hooked up with Aigis

Nyx Avatar
is the goddamn worst.

Yep, you're underleveled (but i see you beat it already).
Get to lvl 90+ with some good personas and you can wreck the boss

My favorite part of fighting Nyx Avatar was that I would have died if there had been one more turn. I only won because only my protagonist was left fighting after being enraged, and my attack after that finished Nyx Avatar off.

psst, just so you know, it's best to label what the spoiler is for.

such as (THIS IS THE KILLER)
Harry potter is a weezard and hagrid is a giant man

FluxWaveZ

Doesn't seem like Atlus will be attending PlayStation Experience like they did last year, going by the full playable games list. Some are still being kept a surprise, but I wouldn't think that would be for anything revealed by Atlus.

They had 3 games last time, but I guess they wouldn't have much to show this year other than P4D and maybe Lost Dimensions or Dungeon Travelers 2, which would both be kind of weird.

Perhaps the expectation that the Atlus USA upload of PV03 going up at that time was a wrong one.

Atlus USA have Odin Sphere, Cryamore, and Deadly Tower of Monsters, all upcoming and on Playstation platforms. That seems like a decent amount of stuff to show. Although I guess they haven't really been talking about any of them all too much yet. So a bit odd that none of those are apparently going to be present.

They could at least take the opportunity to update the P5 website with the new charecter profiles, even if they don't want to show PV3.

Ibuki is not your princess, good sir.
How would you know that? She definitely is the music princess of the group :p Therefore my princess, and yours too.
Search your feelings, you know it to be true.
Between the DanganRonpa talk and that Star Wars quote, I reached the furthest point I could get to in a Persona OT
And now back to your regularly scheduled program.
I am kinda getting in the mood for playing P4 again, even though I should probably replay P3 before that, as I kinda rushed through it the first time I played.
But knowing myself, I'll probably (re-)try to play P4G in Japanese as soon as I get some spare time.

FluxWaveZ

Atlus USA have Odin Sphere, Cryamore, and Deadly Tower of Monsters, all upcoming and on Playstation platforms. That seems like a decent amount of stuff to show. Although I guess they haven't really been talking about any of them all too much yet. So a bit odd that none of those are apparently going to be present.

Cryamore is still actively in development (in a phase where it likely wouldn't be shown at an event like PSX), there's no English footage of OSL (and Atlus USA tends to only have games playable when they're in English), and Deadly Tower of Monsters has been radio silent pretty much since we've heard of it. Seems pretty reasonable to me that those wouldn't be there because of that.

Sophia

How would you know that? She definitely is the music princess of the group :p Therefore my princess, and yours too.
Search your feelings, you know it to be true.
Between the DanganRonpa talk and that Star Wars quote, I reached the furthest point I could get to in a Persona OT
And now back to your regularly scheduled program.
I am kinda getting in the mood for playing P4 again, even though I should probably replay P3 before that, as I kinda rushed through it the first time I played.
But knowing myself, I'll probably (re-)try to play P4G in Japanese as soon as I get some spare time.

I started a Persona 1 Snow Queen run a bit ago, but I have a habit of picking up an older game, getting a 1/3rd or half way through and then forgetting about it because something new came out and totally absorbed me. ><;

I started a Persona 1 Snow Queen run a bit ago, but I have a habit of picking up an older game, getting a 1/3rd or half way through and then forgetting about it because something new came out and totally absorbed me. ><;
I'm still waiting on the completion of the EP translation to play both 1 and 2. One day I'll find the courage to play those games. One day.

Sophia

I'm still waiting on the completion of the EP translation to play both 1 and 2. One day I'll find the courage to play those games. One day.

Snow Queen is hard. Probably the hardest overall in any Persona game. Some parts of The Answer might be harder than a standard Snow Queen run tho.

Max Ambrosia Snow Queen runs are definitely the hardest tho, although they're also pretty grindy and require insane prep.

hughesta

Banned
Persona 3's ending is so fucking good. Next up, I get to watch The Answer on YouTube and play SMT3. So glad I got into this series as late as I did, it's made the wait for P5 so much more bearable.

Right. I just assumed it was obvious since it was after the final boss talk.

Well, if it was an actual quote reply, i don't see a need for it, but since it was a normal reply, i didn't know if it was still on topic or making a new topic. Just a pet peeve of mine >_>

Persona 3's ending is so fucking good. Next up, I get to watch The Answer on YouTube and play SMT3. So glad I got into this series as late as I did, it's made the wait for P5 so much more bearable.

Yes, it's really great. Lot of people don't like The Answer's story, but i enjoyed it

hughesta

Banned
oh shit I just noticed that I can get P1, both versions of P2, and P3P as downloads on my Vita. Definitely gonna bite on P3P so I can play through FeMC's campaign, but are P1 and the P2's worth it?

Dugna

oh shit I just noticed that I can get P1, both versions of P2, and P3P as downloads on my Vita. Definitely gonna bite on P3P so I can play through FeMC's campaign, but are P1 and the P2's worth it?

P1 is good and P2 both parts are ok, but like PK said above its more determination because the combat is dull.....

Cloud just announced for smash. Next logical step....

Makoto/Yu for smash!

or Naoto

maybe Aigis.

Also Rei is so....eh. Sounds like she's trying to hard to sound small and cute. I dislike her voice more than Labrys's

She's not. She kicks things.

Fisticuff guy is Akihiko and... fuck that.

I thought fisticuffs was just fancy talk for fighting. Just looked it up and well...we already know I'm wrong.

:/

Honestly, though, Chie in smash sounds boring. Just a bunch of kicking and Tomoe. P3/4 protagonist can be like Pokemon trainer and be able to use 3 different personas.

I thought fisticuffs was just fancy talk for fighting. Just looked it up and well...we already know I'm wrong.

:/

Honestly, though, Chie in smash sounds boring. Just a bunch of kicking and Tomoe. P3/4 protagonist can be like Pokemon trainer and be able to use 3 different personas.

In all honesty, I'd prefer Flynn being a support trophy to P3/P4 cast members getting in. I guess I'm just funny that way.

Sophia

The only Atlus character worthy of being in Smash Bros is Jack Frost, ho!

Any other character should be purged from your mind, hee ho!

PK Gaming

I don't think Jack Frost would be a very good Atlus rep

It has novelty and recognition, but its moveset potential is basic&#8212;not something that would really stand out in Super Smash Bros. It also isn't a major player in any of the Megaten games, so it doesn't really represent a particular game. Don't get me wrong, I love Jack Frost; it's cute, funny, and I love making jokes about it, but it really doesn't bring much to the proverbial table.

Bias aside, Yu Narukami or The Demi-fiend would probably be the best choices. I can already feel a few jaded stares my way, but hear me out. They have solid moveset potential, appeal and recognizability that make them good candidates. Both characters have the entirety of their (very solid) games to back them up, and both characters do a great job of representing the megaten series as a whole.

Kazzy

Chiaki is good..... but there is only one true princess who should be your favorite in Danganronpa 2.

I'm not saying this just to irritate you, but I thought she was the most boring character in the entire cast.

Huh, opinions!

I don't think Jack Frost would be a very good Atlus rep

But, he clearly is the best choice.

Recognisable, distinctive, and you handily side-step any mumbling from the Atlus fanbase, about their favourite character not getting the nod. He's the only character who's probably capable of getting that unanimous acceptance.

Except Mara, obviously.

Jack Frost is the only real choice for an Atlus rep. He's always been the face of the company, is an easily recognisable charecter, and is pretty well liked.

And Demi Fiend has never appeared on a Nintendo system. Cloud at least has had a few cameos in games.

Although I could see the next Smash game just having the #FE protag as an Atlus rep.

JCX

This is good to hear, because I am almost to New Year's Eve and the game is really grinding on me. Hate these quests so much.

FluxWaveZ

There is no character from Atlus that would be on the same level as any of the third-party characters introduced to Super Smash thus far.

A simple metric: the "guest" characters don't make people&#8212;mainly the Nintendo/Smash audience&#8212;go: "Huh? Who's that?" Snake, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Cloud, Sonic... those are all characters who have a great legacy, who people are very familiar with even if they haven't played their games.

Jack Frost, Demi-fiend or Yu? I guarantee you no one would know who the hell they are or what they're from, and the SSB roster has avoided that completely for their 3td party roster thus far. It's the same thing I was saying when people were convinced Shovel Knight was going to be a character.

Sophia

There is no character from Atlus that would be on the same level as any of the third-party characters introduced to Super Smash thus far.

A simple metric: the "guest" characters don't make people—mainly the Nintendo/Smash audience—go: "Huh? Who's that?" Snake, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Cloud, Sonic... those are all characters who have a great legacy, who people are very familiar with even if they haven't played their games.

Jack Frost, Demi-fiend or Yu? I guarantee you no one would know who the hell they are or what they're from, and the SSB roster has avoided that completely for their 3td party roster thus far. It's the same thing I was saying when people were convinced Shovel Knight was going to be a character.

Not that that's ever stopped Nintendo with their own rooster of characters before.

A simple metric: the "guest" characters don't make people—mainly the Nintendo/Smash audience—go: "Huh? Who's that?" Snake, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Cloud, Sonic... those are all characters who have a great legacy, who people are very familiar with even if they haven't played their games.

Starting my petition right now

FluxWaveZ

Not that that's ever stopped Nintendo with their own rooster of characters before.

Nope, but obviously Nintendo themselves should always be excluded from the discussion of the third-party characters because SSB is supposed to be a Nintendo fighting game. Guest characters are a whole different kind of deal.

Sophia

Nope, but obviously Nintendo themselves should always be excluded from the discussion of the third-party characters because SSB is supposed to be a Nintendo fighting game. Guest characters are a whole different kind of deal.

Although on that note, while I said it as a joke, Jack Frost would probably be the most identifiable character Atlus has for Japanese audiences. He's been their mascot since the SNES days, and there's likely a number of fans there who recognize him.

Beyond that, they don't quite have anyone who'd fit the recognition requirements. Certainly don't have anyone that most English speaking gamers would recognize.

PK Gaming

But, he clearly is the best choice.

Recognisable, distinctive, and you handily side-step any mumbling from the Atlus fanbase, about their favourite character not getting the nod. He's the only character who's probably capable of getting that unanimous acceptance.

Except Mara, obviously.

Jack Frost seems like an appropriate choice for an Atlus on the surface, but I can't help shake this resounding feeling of no. What you said could easily apply to other mascots like Chocobo or Slime, so I don't think popularity should be the sole metric used to determine if a character should be in Smash. Hell, Jack Frost's popularity is definitely waning these days so Teddie would actually be a better choice in that regard.

Jack Frost is the only real choice for an Atlus rep. He's always been the face of the company, is an easily recognisable charecter, and is pretty well liked.

And Demi Fiend has never appeared on a Nintendo system. Cloud at least has had a few cameos in games.

Although I could see the next Smash game just having the #FE protag as an Atlus rep.

I don't think the character appearing on a Nintendo console is a hard and fast rule anymore. I certainly don't think Sakurai would have barred Cloud from appearing in Smash IV if he hadn't appeared in games like Theathrym or Kingdom Hearts, haha. Also a #FE protag getting in would be... intensely undesirable.

A simple metric: the "guest" characters don't make people&#8212;mainly the Nintendo/Smash audience&#8212;go: "Huh? Who's that?" Snake, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Cloud, Sonic... those are all characters who have a great legacy, who people are very familiar with even if they haven't played their games.

In the end, that's probably the case. None of the megaten games have really broken into the mainstream yet, though Persona has certainly come close. In retrospect, my bringing up of Demi-fiend feels like posturing. Lol.

Kazzy

Jack Frost seems like an appropriate choice for an Atlus on the surface, but I can't help shake this resounding feeling of no. What you said could easily apply to other mascots like Chocobo or Slime, so I don't think popularity should be the sole metric used to determine if a character should be in Smash.

Even if that is the case, nobody can step to Jack Frost!

No-one!

And besides popularity, the only other thing that people would use to discount any fad-type characters, would be longevity. Guess who wins that contest?

Demi-Fiend is a complete hipster-choice, because lets face it, dude is obscure.

Top Bottom