• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

Meia

Nah, that's time skip Misuru :)

U7Ghu2s.gif

And no, I seriously doubt there'll be any P4 references in P5, at least not super obvious ones. You might get something along the lines of the P2 references in P3(so like one line of text if you turn on a tv on a certain day or something), but that's it.

Remember how there were blatant and obvious references to Persona 3 in Persona 4? Well, in Persona 5... I'm betting that we will see Dojima, Adachi and Nanako. Dojima because he is a cop. I bet Nanako gets a time skip and is a private investigator. Adachi is prolly a guy you see in jail along with Vincent from Catherine.
Unlikely as others already said but could be cool. At least I think the references will be there since Atlus acknowleged P3 and P4 on that first poster with Makoto and Yu.

Mediking

Well... President Tanaka, Chiirio, Iwatodai Dormitory, that one teacher with the glasses, and Takaya's voice were all in Persona 4 and they came from Persona 3. I still flashback to how I felt when I saw the P3 references in Persona 4. I was crying and shouting and I became a diehard Atlus fan when it happened.

For Persona 5... I would cry if we saw how Chie, Yukiko, Yosuke, and the rest of the gang turned out. I love time skips!!!

daevious

For Persona 5... I would cry if we saw how Chie, Yukiko, Yosuke, and the rest of the gang turned out. I love time skips!!!

I'd rather wait until the inevitable Persona 5 spinoffs before we see how the P4 gang has been doing, but I'd still like to see them a little older.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Chie makes a guest appearance on the meat channel, selling you meat, because meat. Right after Tanaka's Commodities, every Sunday.

I think we've seen enough of the P4 cast for one lifetime. Considering how much worse they seem to get with every new appearance, I would wholeheartedly embrace P4D being their last ever appearance.
it won't be, though

VegiHam

I'd love to see 'five year later' versions of the Persona 4 cast in Persona 5 Arena one day; but I don't need it anytime soon.

VegiHam

Yeah, let's wait until the inevitable fighting game for idiotic superhero versions of P4's characters.

Honestly, I'll take that over what I'm expecting, which is the characters coming back totally unchanged. I dread a future for the Persona 4 cast where Yosuke and Teddie still work at Junes, Kanji has blond hair, Yukiko still 'helps out' at the inn and can't cook; and so on. Please let these guys succeed in the goals they set themselves at the end of their stories rather than keeping them 'recognisable' or 'iconic'.

Honestly, I'll take that over what I'm expecting, which is the characters coming back totally unchanged. I dread a future for the Persona 4 cast where Yosuke and Teddie still work at Junes, Kanji has blond hair, Yukiko still 'helps out' at the inn and can't cook; and so on. Please let these guys succeed in the goals they set themselves at the end of their stories rather than keeping them 'recognisable' or 'iconic'.
Yeah that sucks too. Maybe the solution to P4's characters is to leave them in P4 and never reference them again.

I agree.

EDIT:
Wait, Naoto's already exists.

No, she doesn't.
Does she?

Please let these guys succeed in the goals they set themselves at the end of their stories rather than keeping them 'recognisable' or 'iconic'.

I don't even want them to risk it. Them mangling characters I love in future games is going to make enjoying the future main installments that much harder for me.

Not to mention 'iconic' is far easier than however many different ways they could have evolved, which means that's the one they'll go with if anything.

EDIT:

I know many don't, but I still like this design.

I don't mind it. Is it really that contentious?

Starting to think i don't exactly "like" Persona as much as i thought i did. It seems P3 was the perfect mix between Persona and the themes of life, death, and friendship which i resonate pretty well with. P4 didn't hold me nearly as well as P3 did, and i still don't feel as excited as i thought i would over P5. The delays don't even bother me. Hell, i think it's gonna be hard for another Persona game to top P3's characters for me because how well i resonate with them

This talk of not wanting crossovers in P5 is making me realize, i might just like P3 for what it brings to the table, while the rest of the franchise is just "ok" with me. People want every game to stand up on its own, but i feel like i want the themes to overlap each game and carry through the sequels.

Mediking

Persona 5: Stealing Recipes All Night
Persona 5: Jewel Edition
Persona 5: Nightly Escapades

Just predicting future spinoff titles. Lol

And Chie was my favorite from Persona 4. The MUSIC is my second favorite thing from Persona 4. Well... Dojima was cool but I did not like Nanako for a good while until that... one scene...

This talk of not wanting crossovers in P5 is making me realize, i might just like P3 for what it brings to the table, while the rest of the franchise is just "ok" with me. People want every game to stand up on its own, but i feel like i want the themes to overlap each game and carry through the sequels.

imo, P3 and P4's themes are incompatible. I see no reason for P5 to be more accommodating.

imo, P3 and P4's themes are incompatible. I see no reason for P5 to be more accommodating.

Yeah, in their current forms. What i'm saying is that i think i like P3 as a standard for Persona in general. For the games to reflect around Persona 3's themes, rather than entirely different ones for every game. What if P4 was related to P3's themes rather than stand up on it's own?

I'm not saying "persona isn't good because it's not more of what i like", i'm saying it might just not be my thing. If P3 didn't exist, i don't think i'd have liked Persona.

If P3 was used as a base, i'd like Persona more in general, but it's not. It sucks to come to this realization, but i guess that's why i can't feel nearly as engaged in P4 or be as hyped as everyone else for P5, they are all their own games. I'll still pick up P5 since the themes, even though they are different, do relate to some things in my own life, so i'll at least like it

Setsu00

I don't think so. PQ showed pretty well how the themes of P3 and P4 work together once the actual plot started.

That being said, Hashino already mentioned in an interview for P5 that he changed his opinion on how the world works to some degree.

Yeah, in their current forms. What i'm saying is that i think i like P3 as a standard for Persona in general. For the games to reflect around Persona 3's themes, rather than entirely different ones for every game. What if P4 was related to P3's themes rather than stand up on it's own?

I'm not saying "persona isn't good because it's not more of what i like", i'm saying it might just not be my thing. If P3 didn't exist, i don't think i'd have liked Persona.

If P3 was used as a base, i'd like Persona more in general, but it's not. It sucks to come to this realization, but i guess that's why i can't feel nearly as engaged in P4 or be as hyped as everyone else for P5, they are all their own games. I'll still pick up P5 since the themes, even though they are different, do relate to some things in my own life, so i'll at least like it

In all honesty, I think I'm getting that impression with P4. It just hit a sweet spot where the others either didn't or put me off through other means.

Maybe when P5 releases, it'll take some heat off this "best girl" bullshit.

Sophia

The biggest problem with P4 is that we've seen an extensive amount of side materials, most of which where nowhere near the quality of the original game storywise. Two animes, an updated re-release, three spinoff games (four if you count Persona Q, but I'm not), a crap ton of mangas... The P4 cast has kind of worn out their welcome, so to speak.

The biggest problem with P4 is that we've seen an extensive amount of side materials, most of which where nowhere near the quality of the original game storywise. Two animes, an updated re-release, three spinoff games (four if you count Persona Q, but I'm not), a crap ton of mangas... The P4 cast has kind of worn out their welcome, so to speak.

"Kind of"? That's putting it nicely, Sophia.

This is correct.

image.php

I'm having flashbacks to Chie shouting 'meat power' when you fill up your fever in P4D.

Of course she does. -_-

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I think that Sophia has pretty much hit the nail on the head in expressing the way I feel about the P4 cast. It's not even that the characters are over-exposed, just that they've been poorly handled in the spinoff games. I'm sure the writing in P5 is going to be excellent, but when people start talking about cameos I'm having flashbacks to Chie shouting 'meat power' when you fill up your fever in P4D.

I'm sure if anybody does cameo it'll be a nod rather than something rammed down your throat, and will probably be handled well. But we all like to piss and moan, so it's fun to go into disaster scenarios, where Teddie meets Ann at the Shibuya branch of Junes and spends a 20 minute scene trying to score with her.

Sophia

I think that Sophia has pretty much hit the nail on the head in expressing the way I feel about the P4 cast. It's not even that the characters are over-exposed, just that they've been poorly handled in the spinoff games. I'm sure the writing in P5 is going to be excellent, but when people start talking about cameos I'm having flashbacks to Chie shouting 'meat power' when you fill up your fever in P4D.

I'm sure if anybody does cameo it'll be a nod rather than something rammed down your throat, and will probably be handled well. But we all like to piss and moan, so it's fun to go into disaster scenarios, where Teddie meets Ann at the Shibuya branch of Junes and spends a 20 minute scene trying to score with her.

That cameo would actually be pretty hilarious tho (and a better use of Teddie's character than all of Arena/Ultimax. :p)

FluxWaveZ

If by "take some heat off," you mean "rekindle," then yeah.
I'm preparing for the worst.

Mods have already stated they'll pretty much ban "waifu wars" in the Persona 5 main threads, so there's at least no danger there. Can't speak for what'll happen in this thread, though.

Sophia

Mods have already stated they'll pretty much ban "waifu wars" in the Persona 5 main threads, so there's at least no danger there. Can't speak for what'll happen in this thread, though.

This thread has generally been pretty okay with people not bringing that bull crap in here anyhow, jokes aside.

If it goes there I'll just stop reading here honestly

It won't.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that if the mods don't want that stuff in the main threads, it probably shouldn't be here either out of principle.

FluxWaveZ

This thread has generally been pretty okay with people not bringing that bull crap in here anyhow, jokes aside.

Nah, I'll have to disagree with that at this point. There've been quite a few times where it's been in full form here; the line between joke or not is pretty meaningless when there's no difference in the end. It's been way more prevalent as of OT6 or so.

Nachos

Well, that's reassuring, but I'm talking across the internet in general. Things are likely going to flare up for the worse, especially in places with more lax moderation.

Top Bottom