• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

Speaking of which, do you guys think the P5 anime will bring a name to the MC? If they do, I'll use that name.
I hope they just reveal that name from the getgo. Put it in as his default name and let me erase it if I want to.

Usually in Japanese games that allow for enough characters, I use my grandfather's name (Japanese man lol) or the default. It's too on the nose for me to use my own non-Japanese name.

Pachael

P4G at 90h (true ending). Dude. Dude. Shitttttttt man so good. Best ensemble cast since Sakura Taisen 2/3. (That Ouji/Tanaka/Fujishima-Matsubara combi)

ztqO6ER.png

Considering the original was in 2008, and I've never finished it to today. :/

Coming from 10h of SMTIV made the battles too easy to adjust to.

Next is back to SMTIV before NG+ and P3P.

Persona 3 FES... so I just started this game, finally. I'm just wondering, do I really have to play against the clock, as far as the calendar? Am I possibly going to run out of days before I'm "done"?

Usually I despise time-limit mechanics, but it doesn't bother me here. Actually I think it's neat. But I'm spending a lot of energy trying to maximize my use of free time, and wondering if all that's even necessary.

Game is awesome. Can't believe I slept on this one.
Just enjoy your new life, man. There is enough time for almost everything. The only thing you'll need to watch yourself is regarding Social Links. Some of them will only be available in the late game, so you'll need to max some skills in time. Also, having a Persona with the same Arcana as the Social Link person will boost you to next level quickly. It's almost impossible to max all social links in the first run so you'll probably have to choose which ones you'll complete.

Quick question regarding Persona Q. After 90 hours of gameplay, it just came to me that you can only stack 3 buffs at a time (I know, I'm stupid). The question is, do navigator's skills also get affected by this? For example, I cast Matarukaja, Masukukaja and Marakukaja, and the next turn Fuuka casts Healing Breeze. Will the healing breeze overwright one of the prior buffs or does it not affect them? Same goes for auto casting skills like Pain Eater that activate at the start of the battle.

Nachos

Quick question regarding Persona Q. After 90 hours of gameplay, it just came to me that you can only stack 3 buffs at a time (I know, I'm stupid). The question is, do navigator's skills also get affected by this? For example, I cast Matarukaja, Masukukaja and Marakukaja, and the next turn Fuuka casts Healing Breeze. Will the healing breeze overwright one of the prior buffs or does it not affect them? Same goes for auto casting skills like Pain Eater that activate at the start of the battle.
You can stack any three buffs of any type, and anytime you add an extra buff, the topmost one gets pushed off the pile. I don't know if you realized this, but you can also stack multiple buffs of the same type, provided they all have different names (off the top of my head, I know Mataru and Heat Riser both boost attack). Skills like Power Charge and Shura Tensei don't count as buffs, either (and neither overwrites the other), so you could conceivably add three attack buffs to those two and get huge power gains.
Don't do this if you want a challenge. I only had a few of those skills and a bunch of passives, and I still managed to kill the final boss on expert in one turn once I got my turns of set-up out of the way.

EDIT: I forgot to answer this, but is Pain Eater one of the damage redirection skills that activate at the start of a turn? If so, those don't count as buffs, as they go right away once the turn ends. I don't remember if they reduce damage, too, but if they do, that defense boost also doesn't count as a buff.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Just enjoy your new life, man. There is enough time for almost everything. The only thing you'll need to watch yourself is regarding Social Links. Some of them will only be available in the late game, so you'll need to max some skills in time. Also, having a Persona with the same Arcana as the Social Link person will boost you to next level quickly. It's almost impossible to max all social links in the first run so you'll probably have to choose which ones you'll complete.
First run? You're implying a Ng+? That would be neat. How does that work with "The Answer?".

Also, as far as stats... are things like agility and strength wholly dependent on your currently equipped persona? I noticed those stats raising, but my MC only has charisma, academics, etc. So when I do a physical attack, my strength would be determined by the currently equipped persona? Or in other words, if I'm primarily whacking shit to death in a particular level, I should equip my highest strength persona?

First run? You're implying a Ng+? That would be neat. How does that work with "The Answer?".

Also, as far as stats... are things like agility and strength wholly dependent on your currently equipped persona? I noticed those stats raising, but my MC only has charisma, academics, etc. So when I do a physical attack, my strength would be determined by the currently equipped persona? Or in other words, if I'm primarily whacking shit to death in a particular level, I should equip my highest strength persona?

The Journey and The Answer are totally separate things. The Journey has its own NG+ thing independent of The Answer's content. You could start The Answer right now if you wanted to. (don't do that though)

And yes, that's right.

Mediking

Persona 3 FES... so I just started this game, finally. I'm just wondering, do I really have to play against the clock, as far as the calendar? Am I possibly going to run out of days before I'm "done"?

Usually I despise time-limit mechanics, but it doesn't bother me here. Actually I think it's neat. But I'm spending a lot of energy trying to maximize my use of free time, and wondering if all that's even necessary.

You're playing the greatest game of all time and my favorite game of all time! Persona 3 FES... I LOVE THAT GAME!!!!!!!

Sophia

You're always playing against the clock, but it's impossible to lose the game from it thanks to mechanics that are in place. Just make sure you're progressing as far as you can in Tartarus before each full moon. The only thing you can miss are side stuff, such as social links and the benefits those give you. In particular, you want to try and complete Elizabeth's quests to recover a document from Tartarus, as these are tied directly to progression in the tower.

When you finish the main game (The Journey) you'll have the option to do a New Game Plus run. This is completely separate from The Answer, which is a standalone sidestory and epilogue to the main game.

In contrast to your party members, who are basically synonymous with their Persona, your main character's primary stats (Strength, Magic Endurance, Agility, Luck) are entirely determined by his equipped Persona at the time of the action. Standard attacks via the Attack command are determined by the power of your weapon, but skills are determined by the statistics of your currently equipped Persona. This means that ideally you want physical skills on a Persona with high strength, and magical skills on a Persona with high magic.

Evolved1

Ahhh... got it, thanks.

I'm having a little trouble balancing everything atm. Still haven't been able to join an athletic club because the game puts stuff in front of me on days I'd planned to get over there. Lol.

Most difficult part of the game so far is how quickly my party gets tired or sick. I'm in the easiest section still, but they get tired before I finish the second level... I tried buying caffeinated drinks, but that didn't appear to have any effect. So I have to bail or risk losing them for an extended recovery period. Game is basically telling me I need to progress, but I'm having trouble keeping up because of this fatigue mechanic. I did attempt the first mini-boss fight, but we were all tired and got handled. Have gained a couple levels since then, could probably do it now, but they basically OHK'd the last time, lol.

I'm just plugging along trying not to fret about anything at this point... resigned myself to the notion this game will probably require a couple playthroughs.

You can stack any three buffs of any type, and anytime you add an extra buff, the topmost one gets pushed off the pile. I don't know if you realized this, but you can also stack multiple buffs of the same type, provided they all have different names (off the top of my head, I know Mataru and Heat Riser both boost attack). Skills like Power Charge and Shura Tensei don't count as buffs, either (and neither overwrites the other), so you could conceivably add three attack buffs to those two and get huge power gains.
Don't do this if you want a challenge. I only had a few of those skills and a bunch of passives, and I still managed to kill the final boss on expert in one turn once I got my turns of set-up out of the way.

EDIT: I forgot to answer this, but is Pain Eater one of the damage redirection skills that activate at the start of a turn? If so, those don't count as buffs, as they go right away once the turn ends. I don't remember if they reduce damage, too, but if they do, that defense boost also doesn't count as a buff.

Shura Tensei is amazing. I've stacked power charge, Bestial Roar, and Tarukaja, put up Shura Tensei and (for Aigis) Orgia Mode and absolutely wrecked bosses. I'm trying to find a way to do this with my later personas, since i don't have a few skills anymore when having to upgrade personas

Ahhh... got it, thanks.

I'm having a little trouble balancing everything atm. Still haven't been able to join an athletic club because the game puts stuff in front of me on days I'd planned to get over there. Lol.

Most difficult part of the game so far is how quickly my party gets tired or sick. I'm in the easiest section still, but they get tired before I finish the second level... I tried buying caffeinated drinks, but that didn't appear to have any effect. So I have to bail or risk losing them for an extended recovery period. Game is basically telling me I need to progress, but I'm having trouble keeping up because of this fatigue mechanic. I did attempt the first mini-boss fight, but we were all tired and got handled. Have gained a couple levels since then, could probably do it now, but they basically OHK'd the last time, lol.

I'm just plugging along trying not to fret about anything at this point... resigned myself to the notion this game will probably require a couple playthroughs.

The fatigue system basically becomes a non-issue as you progress, but it's pretty annoying early on. Just keep on trucking and make as much progress with each visit as you can. But take breaks from Tartarusing to avoid burning out on it.

Sophia

Ahhh... got it, thanks.

A common strategy that a lot of players do is saving the game in Tartarus upon entering, and dodging everything until you hit the boss floor. Once you've hit the boss floor, activate the teleporter and save the game again, then tackle the boss once to get an idea of what you need. The obvious drawback to this strategy is that you need to grind manually, instead of the XP coming naturally from climbing the tower.

I'm just at a part of P4G where there appears to be a P3 cameo (confirmed by friend who played both P3 and P4), and the soundtrack there sold me on P3P already (can't buy FES).

I just started playing P4G again, I guess I'm going to make this an annual thing maybe (played P4 for the first time two Decembers ago and played P4G for the first time last December).

God help me.

Evolved1

A common strategy that a lot of players do is saving the game in Tartarus upon entering, and dodging everything until you hit the boss floor. Once you've hit the boss floor, save the game again and activate the teleporter, then tackle the boss once to get an idea of what you need. The obvious drawback to this strategy is that you need to grind manually, instead of the XP coming naturally from climbing the tower.
Thanks for this tip! I probably would've stumbled onto it myself, eventually... but this was helpful straight off. :)

DNAbro

I just started playing P4G again, I guess I'm going to make this an annual thing maybe (played P4 for the first time two Decembers ago and played P4G for the first time last December).

God help me.

i've played P4G every summer since i first played it. Which is like 2 but still.

Japan has... Videogame based crane machines?
japan has a metric fuckton of crane machines. They are all modified for these prize games. If you look at the pic I posted you can see that the box has a plastic ring fixed to it that I hooked with that little hook on the crane. As it is I won, but I cant just grab the prize since it cant drop down, you have to go get an attendant to get it out. A lot of the cranes have you trying to like knockdown a box or something, then you can pick a prize from in the machine if you get it. Im pretty sure I didnt have to take the rise and I couldve picked something else from in there, but I wasnt interested in the P3 crossover costume figures and I already have Marie.

Certain figures are created specifically as prizes for these machines, all those persona figures fall under that list. I already had Marie, so I'm adding Rise to my collection.

japan has a metric fuckton of crane machines. They are all modified for these prize games. If you look at the pic I posted you can see that the box has a plastic ring fixed to it that I hooked with that little hook on the crane. As it is I won, but I cant just grab the prize since it cant drop down, you have to go get an attendant to get it out. A lot of the cranes have you trying to like knockdown a box or something, then you can pick a prize from in the machine if you get it. Im pretty sure I didnt have to take the rise and I couldve picked something else from in there, but I wasnt interested in the P3 crossover costume figures and I already have Marie.

Certain figures are created specifically as prizes for these machines, all those persona figures fall under that list. I already had Marie, so I'm adding Rise to my collection.

Sweet! Congrats to you then. :D

Also damn P3FES looks so good in terms of presentation but it isn't playable on Vita. Why Atlus, why no Persona 3 Platinum, why ;-;

Sweet! Congrats to you then. :D

Also damn P3FES looks so good in terms of presentation but it isn't playable on Vita. Why Atlus, why no Persona 3 Platinum, why ;-;

Just be glad you've got access to the best one mechanically. A lot of my gripes about P3 are swept away in P3P.
Though not all for the canon route.

PK Gaming

God help me.

Even you can't deny the appeal of portable Persona 4

It's Persona 4 on the go

Dantis

Has that been confirmed? It is different from the usual style. I like it regardless tho.

Isn't that the composer in the video? Or is that the title and the singer?

I thought they had Meguro's kanji in the previous trailers, but maybe I'm mistaken.

FluxWaveZ

Pretty sure that'd still be Meguro.

I can't find anything that says it isn't Meguro.

I saw your Dailymotion upload when I uploaded mine unlisted on YouTube. I thought unlisted would be fine, but then someone actually manually flagged it and got it removed. Is that what happened with your channel before?

Sophia

Isn't that the composer in the video? Or is that the title and the singer?

I thought they had Meguro's kanji in the previous trailers, but maybe I'm mistaken.

That's song title and singer.

"川村 ゆみ" is Kawamura Yumi.

Pretty sure that'd still be Meguro.

I saw your Dailymotion upload when I uploaded mine unlisted on YouTube. I thought unlisted would be fine, but then someone actually manually flagged it and got it removed. Is that what happened with your channel before?

I've had that happen with a few things, although mostly OST stuff.

FluxWaveZ

I've had that happen with a few things, although mostly OST stuff.

I had some videos forcibly removed by atlustube themselves (OST stuff as well, for P4D), but this is the first time I've seen someone actually get a video of mine shut down because they intentionally flagged it. I would have gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for those damn kids.

The trials and tribulations of sharing Persona media, I guess. At least we've got Dailymotion.

Top Bottom