• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

FluxWaveZ

We could at least get a TGS countdown

Or an Atlus at TGS stream announcement and countdown

Or something

anything

Just talking about this month: I bet there won't be any sort of countdown or formal announcement for anything coming up. The best I think you could hope for is the hosts in this month's Persona Stalker Club saying something like, "Oh, we'll be at TGS doing a thing this year," like they did last year in episode 7.

Sophia

Have you abandoned the conviction that we will see something this month?

Realistically, I think we'll see something at the pre-TGS show. Idealistically, I'd like to see something sooner to kick off the pre-launch materials/trailers for a November 2015 launch.

With the exception of TGS last year, every other Persona 5 reveal has had some form of build up and teasers. Even PV2 got a teaser video. I don't think it's too unthinkable that Atlus might do something, especially since everyone is expecting something at TGS, so it won't be as much of a surprise as it was last year.

Although that's assuming that they actually have something at TGS.

and looks like P4D has started a trend. I hope to see many more RPGs get dancing game spinoffs.

I do think that TGS will be the big blowout of information. It will be awful if they do not announce a release date by then if the game is truly coming out in 2015.

FluxWaveZ

With the exception of TGS last year, every other Persona 5 reveal has had some form of build up and teasers. Even PV2 got a teaser video. I don't think it's too unthinkable that Atlus might do something, especially since everyone is expecting something at TGS, so it won't be as much of a surprise as it was last year.

However like pretty much everything else concerning Persona 5, there are a lot of exceptions surrounding this, too. Aside from the fact that, like you mention, they didn't have anything teasing trailer #2 except for PSC #7 for last year's SCEJ conference, every tease/countdown leading to something has been an Atlus owned event and has combined Persona 5 with other projects.

- November 24, 2013: Large scale event which combined Persona 5 with Persona 4 Arena Ultimax, Persona Q and Persona 4: Dancing All Night.

- February 5, 2015: Large scale concert which combined Persona 5 with Persona 4: Dancing All Night.

- June 25, 2015: Release of Persona 4: Dancing All Night, which Persona 5 was combined with.

Persona 5 hasn't had an isolated media event of its own yet, so that would be something to consider when thinking about a trend of them teasing towards an upcoming thing.

cj_iwakura

I know all you young kids these days are all about the social links and whatnot, but for an old school Revelations: Persona fan like me this really made me smile:

http://necrosoftgames.com/a-new-thing-with-junkboy/

Not many details given, but just seeing that isometric classroom made me hear percussion footsteps

That takes me back, alright. I still remember being blown away the first time I played P1. An RPG in a modern day school? Students with guns and swords? Never seen anything like it.

Luke_Wal

Just finished P4G... Wow. I started tearing up, but I couldn't quite tell if it was the emotion of saying goodbye to all these characters or if it was because I'd been staring at my Vita for 3 hours. Super excited for Dancing All Night, and I remain hopeful for a December 2015 date for Persona 5!

N° 2048

Just finished P4G... Wow. I started tearing up, but I couldn't quite tell if it was the emotion of saying goodbye to all these characters or if it was because I'd been staring at my Vita for 3 hours. Super excited for Dancing All Night, and I remain hopeful for a December 2015 date for Persona 5!

I don't want the ride to end either but I will def replay P4G again one day.
First Persona game for me.

Just beat
Shadow Mitsuo / Mitsuo the Hero
thanks to all the tips here, Black Frost made it way easier!

Sophia

Wasurenai yo, daiji na minna to sugoshita mainichi.... Never more, kurai yami mo hitori ja nai sa~

I won’t forget those days that I spent with everyone precious to me.... Never more, will I be alone even in the darkness

Congrats on finishing P4G! Did you complete everything?

Jachaos

Yup, one crazy fun ride. Did you get the Golden epilogue? You need to
beat the real final boss and save Marie. After you leave on a train, time skips and you're back months later.
Did you get that part?

Just beat

Yeah Black Frost is a godsend if you're in a rut at that point. Interested in hearing more from you all progressing in this game.

daevious

I know all you young kids these days are all about the social links and whatnot, but for an old school Revelations: Persona fan like me this really made me smile:

http://necrosoftgames.com/a-new-thing-with-junkboy/

Not many details given, but just seeing that isometric classroom made me hear percussion footsteps

Despite prefering modern Persona over old school Persona, I've always enjoyed the stylings of the older games and I'm interested in what a modern version of those games would be like.

Who knows, maybe it will have decent gameplay that doesn't force you to micromanage for every single in-battle action.

MSMrRound

I borrowed my colleague's Japanese copy of Persona 4 Dancing All Night and wow, I'm really impressed by the character models. Not too big a fan of the way they recycled
Ultimax's "oh hey you are stuck in boxing ring/dance stage and have to win to get to the next point" mechanic.

The final dance was pretty hype and I felt I barely scratched the surface. Still need to unlock outfits and stuff. Shall try to hold myself back from purchasing any DLC
as much as I wanted to get Naoto's female outfits

The free DLC song of the Persona concert was pretty nice though, and of course, they had to mark the "Fever time" segment with
Shoji Meguro's guitar solo part. *Bows to Megugod*

Can't wait to get the English version of it.

Took me quite some time with all of
Elizabeth's quests
, but I've finally fused (End-game Persona)
Messiah
! Link is obviously a spoiler if you don't want to know what persona i'm talking about. http://i.imgur.com/hSDIroE.jpg

---

I'm also at the end of P3P, gonna finish it in the morning when i wake up. I'm already getting ready for the tears to flow yet again

This was honestly the first game that legit made me tear up. Not only the end but also
Nanako's death.

Playing through Arena right now. Will play P4G after Ultra Despair Girls and P4:DAN. Don't want to start it then take a break for a while in the middle again. Plus, I just bought Persona Q. Damn them tarot cards are huge!

Just beat

Fuse Trumpeter for the final 3 dungeons. Helped me a ton.

Also, what are the difference between P3FES and P3P? Just the epilogue in FES and FemProt in P3P?

Also, what are the difference between P3FES and P3P? Just the epilogue in FES and FemProt in P3P?

We get this ALOT...so i'll just quote a coiple past posts we've had on the differences between the versions

Aadrian1234 said:
To simplify things

Persona 3: FES = Anime cutscenes, dialogue and cutscenes are set in the overworld, you can navigate the 3D overworld, can only control MC in combat and assign tactics to your teammate AI, and you cannot form social links with your male teammates. Teammates will leave your party when they get tired if you stay in Tartarus too long.

Persona 3 Portable = no anime cutscenes, VN style backdrops and dialogue screens, you navigate the world as a blip/ circle on a 2D plane, can control all teammates in combat, and have the option to play as the Female MC (who has different personality dialogue choices than the male MC, some dialogue changes to reflect the FeMC, lets you form social links with your teammates of the same gender, and now male teammates are love interests). Teammates will not become tired mid-dungeon, but will once you go back to the bottom floor of Tartarus if you have spent too much time with them in battles

The higher level your teammates are, the longer they can go before feeling tired.

I personally prefer FES for a first playthrough because some of the events do not translate well from the 3D overworld to the visual novel format, but you'll essentially get the same experience either way you choose

Actually, now that I went and watched it again, pretty much entire chunks of the ending have been butchered. Music tracks are missing from scenes for no reason. Scenes have been altered in the order they happen. The original direction and intent of scenes have been changed even when there's no reason for it One particular scene has been converted to a static 2D image of the cast. Another scene, originally with no dialogue at all, has had several sections of dialogue added over to it that are unneeded descriptors of what is going on.

It's no way to experience Persona 3 the first time, and I urge anyone who's played Persona 3 Portable to go watch the FES version of the ending on YouTube at least.

*Basically, FES has
+ better graphics/atmosphere
+ animated cutscenes
- slightly dated gameplay

Portable has
+ improved gameplay
+ female protagonist with better social links
- very scaled back presentation, everything is a 2D visual novel outside of dungeons

It's debatable which is better, so pick whichever sounds more appealing to you.

And for visual comparison screens

CrimsonFist said:
Also, on the difference in presentation and overworlds between P3 and P3P:

Persona 3:
25-Persona3-45-074.jpg
Persona 3 Portable:
Persona 3:
Persona 3 Portable:
Persona 3:
Persona 3 Portable:
Persona 3:
Persona 3 Portable:

So I've quickly thrown together the P3 FES/P3P comparison video. It's getting late so I'll get back to it and fix the ending and try to pace things better but for now that's generally what it should be.

Still on P4...
i had a choice to made a some point, go to the shrine or two other places. I chose the shrine.
Will i be able to go to those two other places or am i screwed?

Still on P4...
i had a choice to made a some point, go to the shrine or two other places. I chose the shrine.
Will i be able to go to those two other places or am i screwed?

I think the choice doesn't matter, the shrine is the only place you can actually go to

IIRC if you choose the other places the game will just say that there's nobody and then you go to the shrine and meet the fox.

I do think that TGS will be the big blowout of information. It will be awful if they do not announce a release date by then if the game is truly coming out in 2015.
I don't think lack of information on P5 means the game is ready for release, just that Atlus wanted to give P4D room to breathe before talking about P5.

I honestly think development for P5 had been completed for a while, but the game's release date was pushed back soley because of P4D's delay and Atlus' desire to wrap up P4 before moving on to something new. Having the game completed well before release would allow for a Q4 2015 release in both Japan and America, which is the currently suggested release window.

Of course, I could be totally wrong, but that's how I interpreted P5's pushed back release date.
What does a media blowout even look like at this point?
PV01 and PV02, but rendered on a PS4.

FluxWaveZ

I honestly think development for P5 had been completed for a while, but the game's release date was pushed back soley because of P4D's delay and Atlus' desire to wrap up P4 before moving on to something new.

Well, what's "a while"? We know for a fact they were still working on the game as of late February 2015.

I think the most common and logical explanation people have come up with is that Dingo doing whatever they did with P4D, causing P Studio to assume direct control on the game's development, caused P5 to be pushed back, along with whatever other factors (Sega acquisition, PS3 -> PS4 announcement, etc.).

Well, what's "a while"?
April 23rd, 2015.

But seriously, "working on" the game could mean anything. QA, English localization, PS4 port, final polishing, etc. I know that P4D's development troubles definitely affected P5's development in real ways, seeing how the Persona Team took lead development, I'm just saying that I think the cause of P5's nearly year-long delay was mostly artificial, with Atlus wanting to release P4D before P5, even if P5 was completed beforehand. The extra time is good though - it might be what allowed for the PS4 port.

I guess the point of my previous post was that lack of information is not a reason to doubt Atlus when they say the game is still coming this year.

FluxWaveZ

But seriously, "working on" the game could mean anything. QA, English localization, PS4 port, final polishing, etc.

No, specifically story content was still being added/changed to the game as of late February 2015 by the scenario writer Nanako Kobayashi.

I guess the point of my previous post was that lack of information is not a reason to doubt Atlus when they say the game is still coming this year.

I agree. I think it's that they have a peculiar way of doing things. Though they delayed the game once in a similar manner by being silent up until the point of its announcement, I do think the game will release in Japan in 2015, and that Atlus have a clear plan concerning how they will be marketing the game in the near future.

We get this ALOT...so i'll just quote a coiple past posts we've had on the differences between the versions

And for visual comparison screens

If anyone has problems with the post length (mainly CrimsonFist's screens), contact me and i'll do what i can to condense it when i wake up in the morning

thanks for that! still undecided on which version to play. will probably borrow p3p and play through the first part of both and see which i like better.

have they announced how much dlc for p4dan will cost in the us? debating on getting the c.e. for the soundtrack/dlc for 47 or just the regular for 22.

MSMrRound

John's taking a "international trip" in September.

Wonder where he is going.

Not like there's any major consumer-publisher gaming event happening in the middle of the month somewhere in Japan is there?

giphy.gif

have they announced how much dlc for p4dan will cost in the us? debating on getting the c.e. for the soundtrack/dlc for 47 or just the regular for 22.

May as well get the CE, even if only for the OST and you can always sell the DLC if you want, as well as the vita pouch. You also should be getting some song DLC as well with the pack.

Prices for the DLC shouldn't be too bad in the US, as the JP DLC ranges from free to ¥1000; the ¥1000 packs were usually specialized costume packs for several characters (though Nanako's costume pack was also ¥1000 I believe). Not horrible, but for sure the Gekkoukan Uniform DLC was ¥1000 on the JP PSN store.

Not like there's any major consumer-publisher gaming event happening in the middle of the month somewhere in Japan is there?

giphy.gif

Can't wait!

Also, if he's going to BC, Canada, I may just see the glorious man in person.

Here's hoping!

atlusprime

Atlus PR

giphy.gif

Straya for vacay. :|

Gonna fight some drop bears.

Announcing this tomorrow if we can get a few last things sorted out.

Straya for vacay. :|

Gonna fight some drop bears.

Persona 5 released first in Australia confirmed.

I could wait for tomorrow, but guess I'll ask now anyway, because I'm impatient. Can you comment at all on if the anime song DLC tracks will be localised?

Hey guys, I need to get a new game - I;m considering The Witcher 3, Bloodborne, and Persona 3 FES as I can get it on PSN. I haven't played a JRPG in a while, but I love them - does Persona 3 still hold up well today?

Hey guys, I need to get a new game - I;m considering The Witcher 3, Bloodborne, and Persona 3 FES as I can get it on PSN. I haven't played a JRPG in a while, but I love them - does Persona 3 still hold up well today?

Sure. There's a few things which might come across as annoying, like no direct teammate control, when compared to Persona 4 or the most recent SMT games, but by itself it's perfectly playable today.

atlusprime

Atlus PR
Persona 5 released first in Australia confirmed.

Well, I WAS going to tell you, but now...

I could wait for tomorrow, but guess I'll ask now anyway, because I'm impatient. Can you comment at all on if the anime song DLC tracks will be localised?

That's not in that announcement at all. (They're not. They'll be the original Japanese versions of the songs.) Assuming you're talking about True Story and the JUNES theme?

Cool cool, guess I'll wait until tomorrow to make my decision .

That's not in that announcement at all. (They're not. They'll be the original Japanese versions of the songs.) Assuming you're talking about True Story and the JUNES theme?

:/ kinda was hoping for an English version of the JUNES theme.

Also I think he was referring to the 2 packs with the open and end from p4 animation.

Jachaos

Can we take a moment to appreciate the most underrated track in the P3 OST?

Yeah it still holds up well, if you've played Persona 4 (it's possible - they're self contained like Final Fantasy games) you'll miss various gameplay improvements (they updated a lot of things to make the game easier to get into) but I'd say go for it. Especially if you love JRPGs. There are things that can't become outdated - from the music and atmosphere to the cast and the themes it treats. It's still real great even today.

Top Bottom